League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Plymouth Argyle Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we repeat last weekends performance?

Ipswich Win
60%
Plymouth Win
5%
Draw
35%

Total votes: 20

Denny61

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Plymouth Argyle Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Denny61 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:44 pm

I feel plymouth will play for the point as would be a result for them.so they won't push too many players forward..then probably hpe we have so many players in their half late in the game could catch us on the counter.. hope not .I feel we go all out in first 20 minutes..and get those 1or more goals..then in last 20 minutes..bring on our new guys who will want to make a statement too..il go for 3.1 to town

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:32 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:13 pm
It will be a disaster if it’s a 0-0 draw Dave 🥲
sorry Andy, it's sometimes hard to do irony on a message board. :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:53 am

The irony is that is what it will bloody well be now, Frosty....... you're banned.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:22 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:24 pm
While a draw would be disappointing its not a disaster as long as we win the game in hand, the gap would only be 4 points.
I'm not sure that I quite understand your logic, Mike. Even if we win the game in hand, we would still be 4 points behind them. So the difference between win or draw tomorrow is we go to 1 point behind them if we win but stay 4 points behind if we draw. In the case of the latter, we are then still needing other teams to do what we could not (ie beat them).
No, sorry, anything other than a win tomorrow would be a disaster.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:53 am

I keep saying this , Plymouth isn’t the team to be concerned about. It’s Sheffield Weds!

Let Plymouth do what they’re going to do in the second half of the season. They’ve lost their best most influential player in Whittaker, that may be enough to throw them off for a few games. Then we hopefully can capitalise.

It’s Sheffield Weds we need to worry about. They’ve made up 7 points on us ( they used to be 5 pts behind), but with our constant, regular ability, to grab a draw from a winning positions has seen that now completely eroded .

It’s that game at PR in Feb which will define if we are top 2 or play offs. Lose that, the gap is 5pts… a 10pt turn around by SWFC!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:17 am

rossi wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:22 am
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:24 pm
While a draw would be disappointing its not a disaster as long as we win the game in hand, the gap would only be 4 points.
I'm not sure that I quite understand your logic, Mike. Even if we win the game in hand, we would still be 4 points behind them. So the difference between win or draw tomorrow is we go to 1 point behind them if we win but stay 4 points behind if we draw. In the case of the latter, we are then still needing other teams to do what we could not (ie beat them).
No, sorry, anything other than a win tomorrow would be a disaster.
What I was saying Gary is should we only draw but win the game in hand, Four points to make up over 20 games is nothing, for what it's worth I think we will win and win well. 6-4

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:18 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:53 am
I keep saying this , Plymouth isn’t the team to be concerned about. It’s Sheffield Weds!

Let Plymouth do what they’re going to do in the second half of the season. They’ve lost their best most influential player in Whittaker, that may be enough to throw them off for a few games. Then we hopefully can capitalise.

It’s Sheffield Weds we need to worry about. They’ve made up 7 points on us ( they used to be 5 pts behind), but with our constant, regular ability, to grab a draw from a winning positions has seen that now completely eroded .

It’s that game at PR in Feb which will define if we are top 2 or play offs. Lose that, the gap is 5pts… a 10pt turn around by SWFC!
I've said from day One it would be us and Wednesday and I'm still confident that will be the case.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:59 am

hallamblue wrote:

Yes, a buddy who claims Wednesday are the English Hibs couldn’t be more wrong at this moment in time. He has been known to talk shyte at times.

But re the part in bold……. (Opinion alert) ….. tomorrow is every bit defining as that SheffWed game. Got to “stay in touch” with the other breakaway two (thats not a biscuit)…… otherwise subsequent future fixtures become less defining if the team fall away.

3 points dropped tomorrow = disaster
2 points dropped tomorrow = fairly disastrous.
WIN tomorrow. It can only be this. This is why KMcK wants to do this job, for this type of “pressure” game. And he’ll have questions to answer if his decisions from 2pm - 4:55pm are “questionable” to all wannabe managers.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:24 pm

hallamblue wrote:

Looking back on those league games since Wednesday lost at Plymouth, there are not any particularly remarkable results amongst them, perhaps the draws at both Exeter & Derby, along with the win at an improving Fleetwood. Wednesday at Wycombe tomorrow will certainly be a stern test for them, will an away draw be enough for them?

It is true that if you can draw your away games then you will not be too far out.
All said, not losing is a very good habit to get into.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:14 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:24 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Looking back on those league games since Wednesday lost at Plymouth, there are not any particularly remarkable results amongst them, perhaps the draws at both Exeter & Derby, along with the win at an improving Fleetwood. Wednesday at Wycombe tomorrow will certainly be a stern test for them, will an away draw be enough for them?

It is true that if you can draw your away games then you will not be too far out.

All said, not losing is a very good habit to get into.
That rule only applies if you win all your home games Mark.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:56 pm

Just been looking at tomorrow’s footie odds and surprised to see Town have been made strong bookies' favourites for Saturday's crunch clash with Plymouth Argyle at Portman Road.

Argyle, who recently saw star attacker Morgan Whittaker recalled by parent club Swansea, have won only one of their last six away league games (drawing at Bolton, Cambridge, Burton, Lincoln and Bristol Rovers).

Even so, odds of 5/1 for a Plymouth win - which are offered by several bookmakers - seem long for a table-topping team.

Ipswich are 1/2 odds-on favourites for the victory, with the draw widely priced at 3/1.

5/1 Plymouth ? for me that’s overly generous.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:31 am

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:56 pm
Just been looking at tomorrow’s footie odds and surprised to see Town have been made strong bookies' favourites for Saturday's crunch clash with Plymouth Argyle at Portman Road.

Argyle, who recently saw star attacker Morgan Whittaker recalled by parent club Swansea, have won only one of their last six away league games (drawing at Bolton, Cambridge, Burton, Lincoln and Bristol Rovers).

Even so, odds of 5/1 for a Plymouth win - which are offered by several bookmakers - seem long for a table-topping team.

Ipswich are 1/2 odds-on favourites for the victory, with the draw widely priced at 3/1.

Definitely, Charnwood. Was going to post way earlier tonight regarding this but the daughter & son -in-law visited and completely forgot. But yep......, earlier on Betfair, Plymouth were 9/2........, I put £0.89 on them......., (account was at £4.89) ......., this ensures 3pts for the mighty Tractor Boys.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:49 am

I’m in the same camp as Rossi on this one, if we don’t win it’ll make the rest of the season very difficult for automatic promotion. With that said, I believe we will win and Broadhead will score on his debut. If you pay 1 & a half million for a player, they should go straight into the squad. Something tells me he’ll meet the expectations and score.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:05 am

Weather looks bad for game today .
Windy and rainy could be a key factor today.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:28 am

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:05 am
Weather looks bad for game today .
Windy and rainy could be a key factor today.
its the same for both teams, though, so not really an excuse

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:49 pm

In my humble opinion, a win today is fairly crucial (but a point would be OKish). I don't disagree that SW are our main opposition to an automatic spot but, a win will lay the gauntlet down that, with our new additions, we have the squad to take on anyone! Plymouth will play for a point as already stated in this thread, but if we come out all guns blazing we should be able to win! Just wish I could be there as the atmosphere should be amazing with a full house. Those there just need to make it an intimidating atmosphere for the opposition! #coyb #believe

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:11 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:31 am
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:56 pm

Definitely, Charnwood. Was going to post way earlier tonight regarding this but the daughter & son -in-law visited and completely forgot. But yep......, earlier on Betfair, Plymouth were 9/2........, I put £0.89 on them......., (account was at £4.89) ......., this ensures 3pts for the mighty Tractor Boys.

I was thinking everything pointed to a 1-1 draw but having seen those odds that bookies rarely get wrong it has be a comfortable 3-1 to Town. 👍👏 Definitely a goal in it for Nathan Broadhead this afternoon, maybe a debut hat trick even.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:05 pm

Walton

JD Woolf Burgess

Burns Evans Morsy Davies

Chaplin Harness

Freddie

Subs: Hladky, Keogh, KVY, Humphreys, Edwards, Hirst, Jackson

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:05 pm

Broadhead not even on the bench, another crock ?

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:06 pm

No Broadhead then. But we might see Hirst

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:05 pm
Broadhead not even on the bench, another crock ?
Exactly what I thought! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:07 pm

Precautionary as has Muscle tightness apparently, f**king ridiculous

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:07 pm
Precautionary as has Muscle tightness apparently, f**king ridiculous
Mike, I said to you the other day stay calm! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:10 pm

Thank god we have reliable Freddie

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:02 pm

O ye of little faith :D :D Easy Town win. ladapo hat trick

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:16 pm

Surprised with Broadheads omission which is disappointing. Pleased to see one of the EFL’s most experienced referees in charge today.
The opening 11 mins suggest a very open and entertaining afternoon.
Let’s hope we can do what Man Utd did to Man City earlier.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:40 pm

Team P W D L GD Pts
1 Plymouth 27 17 7 3 20 58
2 Sheff Wed 26 16 7 3 28. 55
3. Ipswich 26 14 9 3 22 51

As it stands, just shows how much we need to win this. COYB’s

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:53 pm

Not much in the way of participation for our biggest game of season thus far although its no score approaching an interval and both teams seem intent on canceling each other out. Little by way of chances for either stats indicate and possession about equal.

Bit niggled with closest challengers both winning respective games, we can't afford to lose further ground at the top. This was always going to be tough, a point would be a satisfactory score for some although the team really needs to be winning.

McKenna needs to emphasize to the players at this interval the necessity of victory. Its within our capabilities to do it, maybe one or two of our own need to raise their game second period. Let's go out after the restart and take it to them. The next 45 will arguably define our season.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:57 pm

So this is a Championship Referee Spot the difference 🤔 impossible i would say.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:00 pm

The nxt 45 will not define our season..silly statement....all it will do is ..impact rest of our season...still a lot of points after today up for grabs...il be happy with a point..win our game in hand and we only 4 points behind Plymouth