League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Plymouth Argyle Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we repeat last weekends performance?

Ipswich Win
60%
Plymouth Win
5%
Draw
35%

Total votes: 20

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Plymouth Argyle Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:44 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:01 pm
We've all been saying on here its another 2 quality defenders we wanted nothing's been done, where have they got 12 mins extra time
No we haven't Ash, one or Two of us have.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:45 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:38 pm
Holy absolute shyte......, Mumba ..... on loan from the Norfolk lot. Jeezo. What a kick in the nutbag.
That’s twice he has scored against us this season so a double kick in the nutbag.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:47 pm

How was it a wonder strike ? Wicked deflection surely ?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:47 pm
Definitely deflected.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:05 pm

Sorry, I haven't seen highlights yet. I just read n here it was a goal worthy of an equaliser......., come on guys......, get the info accurate!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:37 pm

I have no desire to criticise McKenna but I think he git it wrong today. We gave them too much respect and played hoof ball which is just not our way - at least it never has been since he arrived so why start today of all days? Makes no sense to me. Davis and Burns thereby became by-passed largely and Morsy could not play his way through them and we ended up with Ladapo there on his own. If we want to play hoof ball, at least have 2 target men to try and hold it or lay it off?

An opportunity missed (again) but not fatal... yet...

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:39 pm

Going to keep it short as fear a rant otherwise.

How many points have we lost late in the game, these will add up an cost us come end of the season.

I love KM and think he is doing a great job but he needs to sort this otherwise its playoffs, we need a run of wins now.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:18 pm

…. as was said in commentary today, it’s highly unlikely the losers of this three horse race will be in a good enough place to win the play offs. I must say I’m feeling much the same way about it at the moment and feel more work needs to be done with the team to improve our chances of seeing these games out.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:36 pm

When we need to defend our box, game after game we demonstrate we are incapable.

From where I’m standing , I can’t see us being in top two. Fine margins, and we keep shooting ourselves in the foot every, single, game!

This season will not be ours I’m afraid.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:43 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:18 pm
…. as was said in commentary today, it’s highly unlikely the losers of this three horse race will be in a good enough place to win the play offs. I must say I’m feeling much the same way about it at the moment and feel more work needs to be done with the team to improve our chances of seeing these games out.
I think if Ipswich are in play offs they will go up. I don't buy into this not in a good place. As it is i think come end of season Town will be top 2. Still very confident of that.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:47 pm

Well McKenna, once again is spot on with his analysis. And stats are there for all to see. We can’t finish games off, we can’t hold onto leads and always give soft goals away to teams who have virtually one shot on goal.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23251346.i ... s-verdict/

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:48 pm

Well that was f**king bullshit. Caught game highlights a moment ago and all right they scored a fine goal themselves but the time in which it arrived just leaves you feeling irate. Not the first time we've let slip a result with time tuning out And that only deepens any frustrations and anger. Its up to the managers and players to address the issue, sure as hell going to cost us if these things continue to occur with all games remaining.

Came so close to a standout victory and Yes it hurts. Plymouth can consider themselves real fortunate to have taken a point from today, these late goals we concede really are upsetting and speaking in the moment, maybe with time from now will have calmed down to some extent but kind of irate about missing out so close to a great victory over arguably the best opposition this league has to offer.

Burns goal alone was worthy of winning and we very nearly did it. Feel sorry for our fans there today who came do close to witnessing something special. Can only imagine the upset and dismay when they stole a win from us. Disappointed, but we came close to a huge win. You have to take a certain pride from it. Our nearest challengers won also, hell there's only so much you can stand from one afternoon.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:04 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:44 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:01 pm
We've all been saying on here its another 2 quality defenders we wanted nothing's been done, where have they got 12 mins extra time
No, we haven't Ash, one or Two of us have.
ok ok let's not pick hairs there have been at least 4 or 5 or more who would like to have seen the defence sorted out as this has been the glaring weakness of not holding out a 1-0 advantage, and giving sloppy goals away, surely KM has seen this glaring problem he's been in charge for a year now and if the fans can see it why oh why can't he rectify it by bringing in the correct defensive players to correct it.

I know what he will say, we can't bring any more defensive players in as we will go over the 22-squad limit. There was Sean Morrison open on a free and he goes to Rotherham who beat third-place Blackburn 4-0 and was outstanding in defence,

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Can only go on what commentators say. Without luxury of being there and no screening can only say what they said and they called it a wonder strike

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:16 am

Steve wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:36 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Can only go on what commentators say. Without luxury of being there and no screening can only say what they said and they called it a wonder strike
From my position in the Cobbold A-block it looked like a fantastic goal. It hit the net so quickly that I didn't see anything that suggested a deflection. To me the flight of the ball looked true without any variation (that a deflection may cause).

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:43 am

Their goal was a great strike but the scorer Mumba had far too much space when he received the ball, one of our players should have closed him down before he had the opportunity to shoot

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:45 am

Let's not get negative here..yes we threw away 3 points..but would we have been full value
For all 3? I think not ..two good teams meet ..if we had beaten them by 3 goals or more..we be saying how the hell are they at top of table and we not ..??? The simple fact is that they are a good team..play good football. Play as a unit.. and most of all .consistent...there are still less than 60 points out there ..we win our game in hand and we only 4 points behind top ..we have no god given right to be top and running away with this league ..no one has .no matter how good your squad is ..let's calm down..yes we have given away points too easy in some games .but Let's enjoy where we are .....if that gap between 3 and 4th be kept that 7 or more points ..its two places from 3 and il take that any day. Even with 10 games remaining...chin up...

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:59 am

Denny61 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:45 am
Let's not get negative here..yes we threw away 3 points..but would we have been full value
For all 3? I think not ..two good teams meet ..if we had beaten them by 3 goals or more..we be saying how the hell are they at top of table and we not ..??? The simple fact is that they are a good team..play good football. Play as a unit.. and most of all .consistent...there are still less than 60 points out there ..we win our game in hand and we only 4 points behind top ..we have no god given right to be top and running away with this league ..no one has .no matter how good your squad is ..let's calm down..yes we have given away points too easy in some games .but Let's enjoy where we are .....if that gap between 3 and 4th be kept that 7 or more points ..its two places from 3 and il take that any day. Even with 10 games remaining...chin up...
Good post. The late equaliser was sickening, however I think a draw was a fair result. Plymouth certainly don't look to be missing Whittaker, nor their captain Edwards (today) and gave us a good game.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:26 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:43 pm
All these people who reckon we don't need defenders, lmfao.

Walton a joke these days too, needs dropping.

McKenna needs to find the nous to see out f**king games.

That said, win game in hand and it's only a four point gap, that's nothing and certainly not season defining.
Sorry BM, but if we can only score one goal at home in front of 29k fans we need players who can score. I think we’re 4th in the league for GA, so statistically you can’t really proclaim our defence is poor. Understand you’re pissed off about the result, but I think MA & company have done a fantastic job in strengthening our squad. Of course, those new additions have to play which unfortunately didn’t happen today.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:58 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:36 pm
When we need to defend our box, game after game we demonstrate we are incapable.

From where I’m standing , I can’t see us being in top two. Fine margins, and we keep shooting ourselves in the foot every, single, game!

This season will not be ours I’m afraid.
Yep - the current form table is somewhat concerning..........

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:45 am

Denny61 wrote:
I’ve given you stick in the past Denny, but I’d say that’s a very fair assessment of things. Thank you.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:50 am

I know this club is in a hellofa lot better state than 2 years ago. We are going in only one direction.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:56 am

Mauswara wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:50 am
I know this club is in a hellofa lot better state than 2 years ago. We are going in only one direction.
Absolutely right, as I just read elsewhere;

If 2 years ago someone said I will give you;
1) New owners who care and will invest in team and infrastructure.
2) Appoint a new young up and coming manager who will revolutionise how we play.
3) Will get you into the top 3 in the league.
4) Fill Portman Road.
And as a bonus will get you into the fourth round of the cup.
All you have to do is be grateful and support the team.

Would you agree to this because it sounds like a lot wouldn't.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:11 pm

All the above are a plus. But there is a negative, which would of put us not just in the top 3 but well clear at the top? Losing 15pts from winning positions :shock:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:59 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:56 am
Mauswara wrote:
Absolutely right, as I just read elsewhere;

If 2 years ago someone said I will give you;
1) New owners who care and will invest in team and infrastructure.
2) Appoint a new young up and coming manager who will revolutionise how we play.
3) Will get you into the top 3 in the league.
4) Fill Portman Road.
And as a bonus will get you into the fourth round of the cup.
All you have to do is be grateful and support the team.

Would you agree to this because it sounds like a lot wouldn't.
For whatever disappointments, setbacks, injuries which may occur, each of us Town fans should have those 4 bullet points pinned somewhere prominent, as a constant reminder. Perhaps beside a picture of the elusive Marcus Evans, the "ghost of Christmas past"?

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:50 pm

No problem HALLAMBLUE.. nothing wrong with constructive criticism ..its good to bounce of each other...at end of day .we all.blue supporters..

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:27 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Harry Styles up front?

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:35 pm

Very disappointed due to the late nature of their goal but overall a fair ish result, Plymouth are the best side in this league so far and they showed it.

I thought we did well and what gives me encouragement is we have a fit squad back now PLUS new additions who have goals at this level, they weren’t ready to make an impact today but it won’t be long.

We move on and as I see it the seasoning defining week is early/mid feb when Shef Weds will play both us and Plymouth back to back, as long ad we can get results upto then I suspect after that week we will have an idea of how things are shaking out.

I trust the squad and will keep behind them, we’ve done all we can - just need to be a little smarter with the end game management.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:24 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:45 am
Denny61 wrote:
I’ve given you stick in the past Denny, but I’d say that’s a very fair assessment of things. Thank you.
Yes, Denny - I am eating a bit of humble pie too as I too have given you stick in the past. Fair assessment and recent posts have been the same so good stuff and lets move forward COYB's!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:30 pm

It was 100% a deflection for their goal. I had to travel down to London straight after the game and my wife and I had the privilege of sharing a carriage with 20 odd young, pissed up, cocky Plymouth fans who were absolutely over the moon with the point. They felt it was Two poor teams on the day which I agreed with but that we certainly should have won the game, they also concurred their goal may have looked a worldy but had an element of luck due to the deflection.

They felt we are good going forward but cack defensively with the exception of " the number six" who for the most part impressed them. They felt our keeper was woeful and not a patch on theirs. I have to say I think they summed it up perfectly, they wished me well and hope we go up in second place.