January Transfer Window

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dazzz67

Re: January Transfer Window

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:25 pm

Sorry Marko but there is only one legend I am familiar with mate......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aiIM3WKASs

And to be honest it improved my dribbling ability, and it is like Tamas, gone but not forgotten (but for the right reasons).

Getting hungry now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:48 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:25 pm
Sorry Marko but there is only one legend I am familiar with mate......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aiIM3WKASs

And to be honest it improved my dribbling ability, and it is like Tamas, gone but not forgotten (but for the right reasons).

Getting hungry now.
:lol:

But gosh darn it......, arrived home, coat off, just sat down......., and I think I need to get up again and head out to McDs now. A smokey cheese slice?
Coat back on and ----->>>>

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:39 pm

Believe what you will but Hallam and I were told on Saturday that our next signing is due Monday and is reputed to be Whittaker, supposedly a very good source, time will tell.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:07 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:39 pm
Believe what you will but Hallam and I were told on Saturday that our next signing is due Monday and is reputed to be Whittaker, supposedly a very good source, time will tell.
That's good news Mike, but let's get another Defender in ASAP we cannot at this stage have any more sloppy mistakes in defence especially before we meet Wednesday in a few weeks

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:09 am

Not sure I believe it tbh but Hallam will verify it, yes defenders most welcome

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:41 am

Burgess was left especially frustrated with Mumba’s late leveller having deflected off him on its way into the top corner.

“That's two that's come off me now and gone into the top corner,” he recalled ruefully, Fleetwood’s similarly last-gasp equaliser having also caught him on its way through.

“But that's football. Sometimes it goes over the stands and sometimes it goes in the top corner, and you just have to take it on the chin, I suppose. It's just hard to take when it's in 90-odd minutes. That's the hard part to take.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:48 am

Burges also made an immense block during the game.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:39 pm
Apparently Whittaker "prefers" a move to West Brom, but the piece I read doesn't say if they have made a bid or not.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:24 pm

I’ll be honest and say I’d MUCH rather we got in a couple of decent centre backs. We won’t go up with what we’ve currently got, they can’t bloody defend the box!
Last edited by hallamblue on Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:24 pm

I just don't see him coming here and said that Saturday, maybe someone else is close to signing though.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:26 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:24 pm
I’ll be honest and say I’d MUCH rather we got in a couple of decent centre backs. We won’t go up with what we’ve currently got, they can’t bloody defend the box!
Wasting your breath, I think KM is actually happy with our defensive options, there's a few chinks of frustration creeping into me with KM to be honest.

It wasn't to do with conceding Saturday where my issues are with the defence, it was actually what had gone before it all game, shaky, hesitant, negative and generally poor and this is a recurring theme.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:00 pm

If we do make anymore signings during this window it might be helpful if they are fit and ready to go from the off.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:26 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:24 pm
Wasting your breath, I think KM is actually happy with our defensive options, there's a few chinks of frustration creeping into me with KM to be honest.

It wasn't to do with conceding Saturday where my issues are with the defence, it was actually what had gone before it all game, shaky, hesitant, negative and generally poor and this is a recurring theme.
Genuinely not happy to read that part in bold as a non attending fan……… especially from the preview writer. :shock:
Speaking purely from a personal perspective here ——>> I generally ride the crest of that positivity wave when it comes to reading the forum…… really hoping these frustrations do not creep into the previews!
All of that knowing that they are real frustrations for you; an attending and very much switched on and largely “manager forgiving” fan……. And so must hope KMcK irons out minor faults and keeps the season objective on course.

I know your frustrations are across a number of things and homing in on that equaliser, (now that its been witnessed) ….. you’ll no doubt agree, that goal happens regardless of who’s boss. I also think the radio stations should maybe start looking a bit better before making “wonder strike” descriptions to the listeners.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:41 pm

Marko the previews are written with an honest slant on how I see things, much of what is going on is fab but it ain't perfect and we don't seem to be learning much from one week to the next. For what it is worth I still believe we will go up IF one or Two issues are addressed. What I can't do us write things as if everything is tickety boo, I'd rather not do them tbh.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:41 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:00 pm
If we do make anymore signings during this window it might be helpful if they are fit and ready to go from the off.
That's one of my concerns, Ahadme, Ball, Camara, Broadhead. Bit of a recurring theme.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:42 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:10 pm
you’ll no doubt agree, that goal happens regardless of who’s boss.
That is the thing, from the point of view of the defenders, IMO that goal would most likely have been scored whether the back line was made up of pensioners or the current Arsenal defence!
For me, our midfield had left an ocean of space for Plymouth to exploit. Humphreys was beaten too easily! Now had Morsy been in that position still (with Humphreys higher up the pitch) I think there would be less chance of that equaliser being conceded.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:41 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
That's one of my concerns, Ahadme, Ball, Camara, Broadhead. Bit of a recurring theme.
Yep, if we don’t go up this season that is something which the owners may ask questions about.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:53 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:42 pm
marko69 wrote:
That is the thing, from the point of view of the defenders, IMO that goal would most likely have been scored whether the back line was made up of pensioners or the current Arsenal defence!
For me, our midfield had left an ocean of space for Plymouth to exploit. Humphreys was beaten too easily! Now had Morsy been in that position still (with Humphreys higher up the pitch) I think there would be less chance of that equaliser being conceded.
The thing is Mark you're all focusing on this one goal, what about the other Dozen or so that shouldn't have happened and sees us around 14points short of where we should be?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:53 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
marko69 wrote:
The thing is Mark you're all focusing on this one goal, what about the other Dozen or so that shouldn't have happened and sees us around 14points short of where we should be?
I was just making a point about that goal in reply to Marko's comment.
However, yes I agree there have been some ridiculous moments, some as a result of comical defending or (defensive) decisions, some a result of poor refereeing.

There was another Burgess deflection, as you posted earlier, which I believe gave Fleetwood an undeserved point, the poor penalty decision against Lincoln, the poor playing out from the back by Edmundson which cost us dearly away to Plymouth, an offside looking goal which gifted Wednesday a point.
There are four examples there, and while I can't recall whether a defender had made a mistake in the run up to the 1st Burgess deflection, only one of them I'd contribute to a mistake by the actual defence. Of course were we, as a team, sitting too deep at the time? You could look at the Charlton disaster and I believe (from memory, and I stand to be corrected :) ) as a team, we should have seen this game out and potentially it was a poor decision by Morsy which invited that pressure. Also I believe KM was right in his assessment that the team (wrongly) got caught up in the emotion of it all.
Other games where teams have come from behind - Barnsley, where only a terrible decision to disallow a perfectly good goal, prevented us from taking what would have been a 3-1 lead.
Of course it would be total folly on my part to believe that everything is ok in defence, when clearly the other teams around us seem very adept at holding a lead, or clawing their way back from a deficit.
I read somewhere* that when it comes to restricting opposition shots on goal, that Ipswich were one of the best teams in L1. That sounds pretty good, but on the otherhand, surely we should therefore be conceding less!

*Edit: "Cooper has been far the busier, making an average of 3.7 saves per match to Walton’s 1.6. The same difference is true of their teams, with Plymouth allowing an average of 13 shots on their goal in every match, while Town’s stat there is a league-best 7.3". source EADT

It is a conundrum for sure and possibly only by making a marquee defensive signing will we actually know whether it's just a defensive issue or a team one! Also for the record, and to maintain a balanced view, I did say that for me a defender should be high on the priority list (perhaps with Edmundson moving on), more so than a striker. I am delighted with the Broadhead & Hirst signings and believe that with them, perhaps we will now be able to score the goals which will prevent us from worrying about conceding :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:50 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
marko69 wrote:
Agreed, …… and not making excuses, but the part in bold; its all in 90 plus 3 days added on time, heavy legs, frantic pace.
At that stage of any game on the planet…. Its kneel & pray for managers. Unless of course they've saved most of their subs til that time, ie slow the game to snail pace.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:
Must admit with regards to Broadhead the alarm bells started to ring when McKenna said after the game on Saturday that we have to be careful with him. One and half million is a lot for any League 1 team to spend on a player. Having read a lot of Sunderland fans opinion of Broadhead many said a good player “when fit”.
Hopefully my worries are completely wrong and he will soon be playing and bang in the goals for us during the remainder of the season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:56 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Marko the previews are written with an honest slant on how I see things, much of what is going on is fab but it ain't perfect and we don't seem to be learning much from one week to the next. For what it is worth I still believe we will go up IF one or Two issues are addressed. What I can't do us write things as if everything is tickety boo, I'd rather not do them tbh.
Absolutely spot on, yes, MUST read reality at all times and not fairy-tale positivity, especially when things really are not tickety boo.
Thats why i added, “all of this knowing there are real frustrations” …… there are indeed, and they need to be voiced in the preview.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:10 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:51 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:
Must admit with regards to Broadhead the alarm bells started to ring when McKenna said after the game on Saturday that we have to be careful with him. One and half million is a lot for any League 1 team to spend on a player. Having read a lot of Sunderland fans opinion of Broadhead many said a good player “when fit”.
Hopefully my worries are completely wrong and he will soon be playing and bang in the goals for us during the remainder of the season.
Yep that was a punch in the gut when I saw Broadhead wasn't playing or even on the bench!

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:39 pm

Rangers have bid in for Whittaker but not the asking price according to a post on another site.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:40 pm

Which Rangers? Glasgow or QPR?

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:40 pm
Which Rangers? Glasgow or QPR?
Glasgow I assume they only said Rangers.

Just seen on newsnow that Glasgow Rangers had a bid rejected.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:02 pm

Hmmm doesn’t say a lot about Whittaker in my view, if he’s considering that move ( which he might not be). Seems odd that no one else has come in for him, ( or have they?) .

Surely a player that age should be looking to get into the English Championship of higher (no disrespect intended to our Scottish Town fans btw ), considering his form so far this season. They don’t appear to be hammering Swansea’s door down do they.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:51 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:02 pm
Hmmm doesn’t say a lot about Whittaker in my view, if he’s considering that move ( which he might not be). Seems odd that no one else has come in for him, ( or have they?) .

Surely a player that age should be looking to get into the English Championship of higher (no disrespect intended to our Scottish Town fans btw ), considering his form so far this season. They don’t appear to be hammering Swansea’s door down do they.
I won't tell my Scottish Rangers fan who drinks a gallon of beer before every Rangers Celtic match what you said :D but I agree with you.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:36 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:51 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:02 pm

I won't tell my Scottish Rangers fan who drinks a gallon of beer before every Rangers Celtic match what you said :D but I agree with you.
I agree with you as well, Hallam. Its shyte up here.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:49 pm

For me it’s only ever been about Rangers / Celtic. The SPL is otherwise probably no better than Championship or even League One. It’s hard to judge really. But do many players who don’t make it in the English game take the money at Celtic / Rangers … there have been the few exceptions of course.