The 2nd half : Promotion push …..

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

The 2nd half : Promotion push …..

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:40 pm

Since this topic will come up after every game, I wondered if having a thread dedicated to it might be alright?

Burgess has obviously been interviewed post Plymouth game, it sets the tone I guess as to what the squads mindset is going into remaining games perhaps .

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23254034.b ... ay-battle/

He says “ we’ll be there or thereabouts “. This I find particularly vague and doesn’t fill me with optimism the team has a mental approach that is an “up and at ‘em mentality”.

We’ve got to go into every game like it’s our last chance now…. I think the new additions to the squad will give them a bit of a lift and help to build momentum: because momentum is what we don’t currently have in my opinion….. but we must rebuild it very quickly. A couple of back to back wins can do that I think.

What do others feel?

shabba

Re: The 2nd half : Promotion push …..

Post by shabba » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:06 pm

This next month is crucial, I'll explain why:

- Shef Weds will play Plymouth and us back to back
- We need to ensure we rack up the points to be well in the mix come that week above
- We need to see what impact the 2 new signings have, we should know within 4 weeks
- We have a fit squad again, can we use that to turn games in our favor again like we did early in the season
- We must get back on track of the 2 points per game average, which we have just dipped under (overall)

So for me its wait and see what this next 4 weeks shakes out.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:34 pm

I really feel that the Oxford game is massive now in terms of confidence. If we fail to get 3 points there it will be 4 league games without a win and the pressure will then really be on us. If we are going to stay in contention for a automatic place we will need to start putting a winning run together, something which we haven’t managed to do all season. I believe our last back to back wins in the league were last October which simply is something we need to improve on.
Also, our home form is going to be key and we are going to need to start turning these draws into wins at Portman Road.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:43 pm

Well this is no joke but looking at the next 9 games I honestly think we could well win 8 of them, in fact probably should win 8 of them.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:53 pm

I think 2 things...................

Firstly, reading what Cameron Burgess says, I hope to God the rest of the squad do not share his way of thinking because he gave me the impression of complacency and thinking that the players think they are better than they actually are.

Secondly, regarding a promotion push, last season Plymouth fell from the top and then capitulated. A lot of people expected them to do the same this season, but that has not happened - different story for us and I only hope that this season we don't do a Plymouth

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:43 pm
Well this is no joke but looking at the next 9 games I honestly think we could well win 8 of them, in fact probably should win 8 of them.
You’ve been in Maryhill wi Ashford haven’t you?! :lol:

I do jest…… and yes definitely, without jinxing anything, there are a pile of very winnable games coming up……. Certainly games at this stage of KMcK’s journey, should be won.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:18 pm

So, next 7 games are:

Jan:

Oxford (a)
Morcambe (H)
………………………..
Feb:

Cambs (a)
Sheffield (H)
Bristol R. (a)
Forest Green (H)
MKD (a)

21 points:

I’m almost grateful most games are away. Teams don’t tend to sit back at home. But the key game for me, has always been the Sheffield game. A draw is no good. We must win.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:21 pm

Being blunt - what makes people think we will win 7 in a row all of a sudden when we haven’t won 4 in a row all season?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:42 pm

Snapping the lead completely - sort of thinking the same.
Only feasible explanation would be new signings.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:46 pm

shabba wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:21 pm
Being blunt - what makes people think we will win 7 in a row all of a sudden when we haven’t won 4 in a row all season?
Because sometimes things change.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:41 pm

….. and because the gauntlet is well and truly down now. Are we going to stand up and be counted , or roll over and whimp off?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:10 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:41 pm
….. and because the gauntlet is well and truly down now. Are we going to stand up and be counted , or roll over and whimp off?
Mike does this count as Liz's 2nd positive post? :wink: :lol:

Hmm, now where's my tin hat!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:45 pm

…. I wouldn’t worry about where your tin hat is… do you want to know where my right boot is going ? :lol: :lol:….. only kidding :wink: x

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:55 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:10 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:41 pm
Mike does this count as Liz's 2nd positive post? :wink: :lol:

Hmm, now where's my tin hat!
Lmao, yeah ok, that's Two

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:57 pm

V

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:04 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:45 pm
…. I wouldn’t worry about where your tin hat is… do you want to know where my right boot is going ? :lol: :lol:….. only kidding :wink: x
:lol: :lol: :lol: 😘

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:09 am

Good analysis of what to come and what needs to happen ( if you can bare to read it)!

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23254508.i ... -analysed/

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:59 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:09 am
Good analysis of what to come and what needs to happen ( if you can bare to read it)!

I can and did, I'm not worried I'm confident of Town going up and as Champions COYB.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:03 am

Makes good reading, we're home and dry.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:16 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:09 am

That is excellent analysis. Thanks for posting. 👍👌

This part: (for 2nd place)
To hit that 90-point average, Ipswich need 39 points from their final 20 games (W12 D3 L5).

That part is rather uplifting and very do-able for Kieron to master. And apologies for stating this piece of obvious, but over 8 games, (D3, L5) that is basically 3 points from 24. To have THAT scenario and STILL “possibly” finish second with the other 12 wins. That is very positive happy reading.
And no doubt SheffWed, Argyle, County, Bolton & Barnsley all have major blips along the way. 🤔

Arguably the most exciting 20 games for the club in a lot of years. You season ticket holders are in for a treat.

And Hallam, knew from the past that you had ankle issues; now shoulder issues? Whats going on? Just in the same boat as us all —->> getting auld as the hills?!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:25 pm

Lol marko, whilst I am getting a bit long in the tooth, my shoulder is a traumatic injury. Fell off my bike (went straight over the handle bars to be precise! Complete ACJ rupture grade V and a biceps tendon rupture)…my foot is good ole arthritis ( sadly it’s in the family geno and I’ve got my fair share)… plus of course of was an exceptional athlete ( if I say so myself ), in my younger years lol, so I’m paying for that too. ….Im wearing out for sure.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:05 pm

I can vouch for Hallam being a fantastic athlete, the way she ran after the Burton fans a couple of seasons back was priceless.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:20 pm

Not sure how you could even tell…… you’d ran the other way !! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:44 pm

As I recall it I pulled you out of their car lol

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:10 pm

He’s lucky I didn’t get in … barsteward tried to run us all down!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:21 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:10 pm
He’s lucky I didn’t get in … barsteward tried to run us all down!
Guy in Burton car sounds like a total arsehole. Jeeezo. 🤦‍♂️

Completely non football related, a car sped up towards myself, wife & son just along the road from Kings Cross station in 2006. Guy looked middle eastern, Iranian maybe. Swear we just made the pavement. Was scary sh*t. Thankfully we were on our way to that station to get the LNER back to the less mental Edinburgh.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:35 pm

Marko, this arse hole in Burton deliberately drove at us. We were crossing the road just before a roundabout. So any traffic approach8ng should normall be slowing down to negotiate the roundabout. He didn’t he sped up. You know when you can see a car coming and you kinda just pick up your pace a bit to get over the road, well we didn’t seem to be making any headway before he was on us. He then slammed his brakes at the roundabout . I just lost it becuss3 I could he’d done it on purpose. Probably because we were wearing Town shirts!

Thing is he was REALLY weird. He looked like some kind of pirate, and It was a type of transit van I think, from memory, but it was decorated out inside like a scene from The Addams Family. All cobwebs, black skulls, and this big skeleton draped over the dashboard and between him and this cow of a woman who looked like she was from the same programme. It was really funny in hindsight, but not at the time. It’s amazing what your brain picks up and the detail I remember, but then I was hang8mg over the barrier at the roundabout and half way through the open passenger window !! :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:38 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:35 pm
Marko, this arse hole in Burton deliberately drove at us. We were crossing the road just before a roundabout. So any traffic approach8ng should normall be slowing down to negotiate the roundabout. He didn’t he sped up. You know when you can see a car coming and you kinda just pick up your pace a bit to get over the road, well we didn’t seem to be making any headway before he was on us. He then slammed his brakes at the roundabout . I just lost it becuss3 I could he’d done it on purpose. Probably because we were wearing Town shirts!

Thing is he was REALLY weird. He looked like some kind of pirate, and It was a type of transit van I think, from memory, but it was decorated out inside like a scene from The Addams Family. All cobwebs, black skulls, and this big skeleton draped over the dashboard and between him and this cow of a woman who looked like she was from the same programme. It was really funny in hindsight, but not at the time. It’s amazing what your brain picks up and the detail I remember, but then I was hang8mg over the barrier at the roundabout and half way through the open passenger window !! :lol: :lol:
Reflection in the window ? :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:38 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:38 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:35 pm

Reflection in the window ? :lol:
Just nipping my arm here to make sure I ain't dreaming this. Yep fully awake. That all sounds insane. Either that or its was some kind of joke to scare you, ie, all that crazy Addams Family stuff, skeletons etc.

Thankfully it "lurched" to a halt. Too much Addams Family stuff going on in here!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:39 pm

I think back in those days Liz was suffering from RWS