League 1 - Oxford United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we repeat the 3-0 Boxing day win over Oxford again?

Oxford Win
11%
Ipswich Win
61%
Draw
28%

Total votes: 18

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Oxford United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:02 pm

ImageOxford United v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 21st January 2023 – 15:00

Kassam Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Just when will this habit of throwing away points in the dying seconds end ? Once again a game in which we were pretty much comfortable in ends up all square thanks to an injury time goal which of course has to take a cruel deflection on route to the top corner of the net, if ever the words Groundhog Day were apt in Football it is Town in the 91st+ minute of a match, you almost expect it, I certainly did when Nine minutes flashed up on the board and so it proved.

I think there is a major mental flaw with our mindset when we have a lead to defend as the clock clicks down and this One factor alone could prove to be very costly indeed come May. I made the comment that I have One or Two concerns creeping into my thoughts where kieran McKenna is concerned and after a fair few days to reflect on it I stand by that.
He doesn't have the necessary nous to see out games, some of our substitutions are bizarre at times. I also do not for the life of me understand why when we are holding on do we still insist on trying to play the damn ball out from the back like we are Brazil or something, there is a time and a place and we need to hoof the damn thing a Hundred yards upfield and regroup, but no we do the stupid thing because it is the style he wants to play come what may and to try and play it when your keeper is having a mare and looking like he is on drugs throughout the game is stupid in the extreme, i made the point to HallamBlue fairly early in the game that Walton would cost us a goal and while that did not come to pass he was without question woeful, McKenna loves rotating things so maybe its time for Hladky to step in, he certainly looks far more assured with the ball at his feet than Walton does, a case of Horses for courses maybe.

The excitement prior to the Plymouth game was vast and everyone was wrapped up in it so to hear at 2pm that your new flagship striker was crocked was another kick in the wotsits, this is another area where I question the management at times, it is happening far to often that we sign a player and they are either unfit, injured, or injury prone and out within a week or Two, it is no good having a great striker on our hands in Six Months time, we need it now !!!! Luongo is by all accounts injury prone, Broadhead is the same, ball was the same and Ahadme has been nothing short of pointless, then we have Camara, we were warned he was injury prone when we signed him but we went through with the deal anyway. Sorry but I am not impressed and just don't get it.

Back to the Plymouth game and for me it was disappointing, our quality was naff, the passing poor, with Plymouth equally as bad, our style of play resorted to being up in the air all too often, how many times did Ladapo win a header only for nobody to be within a mile of him ? he gets enough stick from the Goon brigade as it is and it hardly helps his cause, Hirst came on and looked decent for Sixty Seconds but that was it. I thought despite the game being pretty poor we were by and large the better of Two poor teams, a point borne out by the Plymouth fans I spoke with on the train after the game, as already stated they thought defensively we were bad, enough said, no sh*t sherlock.

The result leaves us seven points off Plymouth with a game in hand so hardly dire while Sheff Wed continued their winning run to forge Four points ahead of us making our tie at home to the Owls all the more important. On a more positive note the Next Nine games genuinely do throw up the opportunity to go on a winning run, something we need to do but thus far have failed to do, winning a few in a row has proved elusive but with the likes of Oxford, Morecambe, Accrington, Cambridge, Bristol Rovers, Forest Green, MK Dons & Burton all coming up we have a gilt edge chance to adjust that scenario and in doing so putting us right back very much in the mix of the Promotion race, none of us want the lottery of the Play offs for sure and there is loads of time to ensure that does not happen, Plymouth fan are adamant they are going up, we need to be just as positive, having played them twice I am sure we are better than them and yet we have One point from those games, our mentality and steeliness needs to change immediately.

Next up is the first of those winnable games with our trip to Oxford Utd, after our convincing Three goal win at home I see no reason why we cannot do the double of them and claim the points, it's all still very much in our own hands and excuses are starting to wear thin, around Three more defeats would probably be ok and we need to make sure it is not in games like this where we come up short, I think we will see Town get the job done, as always it won't be easy, is it ever with us, I just hope we don't go into 7+ Minutes of Injury time One goal up, that would be a recipe for disaster as we are mentally frail. Fingers crossed Nathan Brodhead is fit to make his debut, I would love to see him slotted in just behind Ladapo with Chaplin the other side, that for me would definitely look like we had goals in the side which we clearly need as we know One is never enough for our biscuit defence. Town win. COYB'S

The Opposition – Oxford United Honours

Football League

Before the Premier League

Second Division: Champions 1984–85
Third Division: Champions 1967–68, 1983–84
Fourth Division: Promoted (3rd) 1964–65

After the formation of the Premier League

Division Two: Runners-up 1995–96

League Two: Runners-up 2015–16

Football Conference
Conference National play-off winners: 2009–10

Southern League
Premier Division Champions: 1952–53, 1960–61, 1961–62
Premier Division Runners-up: 1953–54, 1959–60

Cups

League Cup
Winners: 1985–86

Football League Trophy
Runners-up: 2015–16, 2016–17

Southern League Cup
Winners: 1952–53, 1953–54

The Manager – Karl Robinson

League Table

Form Guide

Oxford United

17 Dec Sheffield Wed 0 - 0 Oxford Utd

26 Dec Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Oxford Utd

29 Dec Oxford Utd 3 - 1 Charlton

1 Jan Oxford Utd 0 - 1 Exeter City

14 Jan Fleetwood 1 - 2 Oxford Utd

Ipswich Town

17 Dec Wycombe 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

26 Dec Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Oxford Utd

29 Dec Portsmouth 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

2 Jan Lincoln City 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

14 Jan Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Plymouth

Head to Head

Match Referee – Robert Madden

OXFORD UNITED 0 IPSWICH TOWN 2

mendipblue

Re: League 1 - Oxford United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by mendipblue » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:06 pm

I would rather see Ladapo on the bench to be honest. Won't happen but Broadhead up top with Hirst and Chaplin in behind. Harness also on the bench the amount of times his first touch let's him down and gives the ball away. Jeeeeeez. So when KMck picks his team it will be Ladapo and Harness.
Ffs. :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:41 am

It's got tie written all over it. They'll want a piece of us after that big defeat a few weeks back while we seem a bit edgy sometimes and don't always see out games for the entire 90 minutes. Unfortunately - and die hards can argue the issue 'til the heart's content - we're not the best team this league has to offer and one or two other club names in the division have or possess a certain greater robustness or strength to them.

A point won't do it for us, the team really needs to be winning just about every game it can if it wishes to obtain automatic promotion but heads have got to rule heart on this one. A point from the trip out there won't be disaster, in fact some may just settle for it or deem it satisfactory score. The biggest concern is thought of losing further distance on the top two. (I) wish I could be more hopeful.

Oxford 1 ITFC 1

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:07 am

until I read KMs interview on TWTD I was pretty confident of a win against Oxford, however the following quote from KM regarding the next 2 games leaves me speehless.............

hopefully putting in two good performances and collecting a good amount of points.

Hopefully putting in 2 good performances? FFS, we've just spent £4m on shoring up the squad, there should be nothing hopeful about the next 2 performances with the squad we have, sounds to me KM is really meaning "Hopefully I'll get the team selection/tactics right". But that's what he's paid for.

Collecting a good amount of points? Tish and pish, we need SIX points from those 2 games, nothing less.

With the squad we have, I would expect a confident approach by the team, that has to start with the manager.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:28 am

With the hard frost predicted for tonight not sure if the game will be on tomorrow as they had a match called off a few weeks back due to a frozen pitch. Hopefully if they do a pitch inspection it will be before we leave as don’t fancy driving there and then it’s postponed.
If it is played can see another draw being the outcome which for us won’t be good enough.
Oxford 1 Town 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:42 pm

Well, what can one say, ……. Very honest preview. And although in no doubt whatsoever that you are accurate, it is quite disappointing to read. Thats NOT a dig at you…… more a dig at KMcK for allowing these doubts to creep in to seasoned supporters.
Hopefully Kieron addresses this quote from the preview;
our mentality and steeliness needs to change immediately.
……. and injects a ruthlessness into the entire squad. And maybe puts his boot up Waltons arse. Having witnessed Hanky in a few games; not entirely convinced he's a match-day upgrade. 🤔

Going to plump for an away win, with also putting a couple quid on Oxford, (Ipswich will get a point at least if thats done)
2-1 away win here.

Ref / Robinson:

Robinson: “You from away up there, Bobby?”
Ref: “Yes, up there, but now live over there.”

————-
Very well respected referee up here in Scotland is Bobby Madden. Him and Steve McLean, top refs.
Watch him now have a fricken mare at the Manor Ground, (or whatever its called nowadays)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:07 pm

rossi wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:07 am
until I read KMs interview on TWTD I was pretty confident of a win against Oxford, however the following quote from KM regarding the next 2 games leaves me speehless.............

hopefully putting in two good performances and collecting a good amount of points.

Hopefully putting in 2 good performances? FFS, we've just spent £4m on shoring up the squad, there should be nothing hopeful about the next 2 performances with the squad we have, sounds to me KM is really meaning "Hopefully I'll get the team selection/tactics right". But that's what he's paid for.

Collecting a good amount of points? Tish and pish, we need SIX points from those 2 games, nothing less.

With the squad we have, I would expect a confident approach by the team, that has to start with the manager.
To be fair the very first line does say "McKenna says its important we get back to winning ways at Oxford"

I just think sometimes his whole demeanour is very laid back, including interviews, but yes, absolutely no doubt we need Six points from next Two games.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:20 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:28 am
With the hard frost predicted for tonight not sure if the game will be on tomorrow as they had a match called off a few weeks back due to a frozen pitch. Hopefully if they do a pitch inspection it will be before we leave as don’t fancy driving there and then it’s postponed.
Bristol Rovers game an early postponement for 3pm tomorrow. Like you say......, if it's going to be off, get it announced sooner rather than later. Nothing worse.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:08 pm

If the game goes ahead, its huge and we need to win.

Hard to predict the lineup, we might see Hirst start and certainly Broadhead from the bench. There will be rotation in these next two games.

Part of me wonders if we might see Burns & Donacian start this game then Clarke & Broadhead on Tuesday (both as a right side pair).

Anyway it'll be good to see the new players.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:21 am

For some reason Teams appear to be gunning for Town, which I don’t pick up with the other top two sides. I’d be amazed if we got 3 pts at Oxford . I’m not sure we have the mental toughness required in what appears to be must win games for us now. We’ve dropped so many points from winning positions we’ve put ourselves in this “ must win “ situation now.

Here’s hoping our new players can inject some killer instinct 🤞

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:25 am

There’s still a lot of games to play, but yes we need to start turning draws into wins in a hurry. If I recall correctly we’ve had a history of too many draws going back for too many years. There’s not much else that can be done as far as the current structure and financial backing of the club, so ultimately it comes down to the players and the manager. If we deserve to go up we will; if not we’ll languish another year in this sh*t league and hope all the cogs stay in place.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:49 am

If too many drawn games are our problem then the solution is simple :

We simply swap our squad with that of Blackburn Rovers and Voila, no more one point results. They haven't tied a single game in around 28 fixtures, it's somethng bizarre maybe but they always win or lose, drawn games just don't work for them.

i'd really hope to see a different formation for tomorrow but you know how it's going to be. Broadhead gets to start by all accounts or at least is available for selection and there's one or two other new recruits that should feature at some stage of proceeding.

i dont really entertain the thought about the potential of missing out on promotion altogether because there's something of a gap between ourselves and 4th position. Not only that, but the thought of another year in this miserable league just propels you on to accept this time, we have to do it.

Failure, (it) really isn't an option.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:19 am

oday’s game at Oxford United is set to go ahead as planned despite temperatures dipping below zero in the area overnight.

We understand no pitch inspection is required and the match is not considered to be in any doubt, the pitch having been covered.

Town visit the Kassam Stadium looking for their first ever away league victory against the U’s.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:19 am
oday’s game at Oxford United is set to go ahead as planned despite temperatures dipping below zero in the area overnight.

We understand no pitch inspection is required and the match is not considered to be in any doubt, the pitch having been covered.

Town visit the Kassam Stadium looking for their first ever away league victory against the U’s.
FFS! 🤦‍♂️

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:42 pm

Amazing that Blackburn stat AP. It was the point I always made when that idiot McCarthy played for draws. You're better off going for the win. 1 game lost and 1 game won is better than two games drawn.

Blackburn have lost 13 times this year, yet they're 6th with 42pts. Blackpool have also lost 13 times this year, yet they're 23rd with 26pts. Goes to show??

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:10 pm

Would we be happy with 6th ?

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:11 pm

Usual line up just with Hirst in for Ladapo. Suspect we’ll see Broadhead in the second half at some point.

I think him and Clarke will then start on Tuesday.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:12 pm

Hirst starts Clarke, Broadhead and Luongo on the bench.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:10 pm
In the championship under McCarthy... Yes!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:17 pm

I’d start Broadhead in preference to Hirst every day, surely we’ve not bought him with a nagging injury. It was interesting reading Wes Burns note thanking Broadhead’s injury which created a space for Burns in the Wales squad.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:10 pm
More to the point can you imagine our fans trying to deal with 13 defeats, we must have had a few suicides so far with 3.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:03 pm

Exactly!!!!

No Humphreys in squad

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:10 pm

Omg what a shocking football pitch ☹️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:03 pm
Exactly!!!!

No Humphreys in squad
Must be either ill or injured ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:11 pm

Jesus we are all over the place, 8 mins in and done absolutely nothing

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:13 pm

I thought the whole idea of playing out from the back was to keep possession. Three times now we’ve given the ball away on the second or third pass and we’re only 30 yards from our goal line.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:14 pm

Lovely set piece

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:22 pm

I’ve got no commentary on my ifollow …anyone else with the same problem ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:23 pm

Just how many free kicks is Burns going to give away ffs!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:22 pm
I’ve got no commentary on my ifollow …anyone else with the same problem ?
I had home commentary but ok now.

I can't believe how poor we are. Hirst anonymous