Positivity post.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Positivity post.

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:02 am

We can’t change what happens this season. What will be, will be.

BUT:

Look how far this Club has travelled in the last 12-18 months. We’re lightyears away from the shambles Evans left in his wake.

What a squad we have assembled in that time.

What lovely football we play ( not always suitable for league one) but when we’re in full flow , oh my what a sight to behold. The like of which we haven’t seen at PR for over 20yrs!

What a brilliant young manager we have. Who analyses the game to such a depth. Some might say too much. But what it illustrates is his capacity to reflect , learn and change/ tweak.

So, if it’s not to be this season, our trajectory is must definitely upwards, and GC are in it for the long haul, as are the staff, Ashton and McKenna, and I suspect all of the squad.

Much to be positive about if we ( I) can stand back and see the wood for the trees .

COYfB’s 💙

AzzurroMark

Re: Positivity post.

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:35 pm

Thank you Liz. Not only positive post No.3, but a Positive thread too! :wink: :lol:

But seriously, when you sit back and think about it, we have come a long way when taking into account the many years beforehand. Football is (as Greavsie would say) "a funny old game". Years of decline has probably left us all that more edgey. Finally we start to see real reasons to be optimistic, to start to really believe once more! Then a poor run, coupled with those teams around us seemingly failing to drop any points has left us with that all too familiar feeling of deja vu!
It is almost heartbreaking to even the most blue-tinted spectacle-wearing diehard fans, let alone those of a slightly more knee jerk reactionary nature (TWTD is a site full of them).

I applaud you for this post. I can see the passion you have for our beloved club as well as the huge frustration you feel at every dropped point, needlessly conceded goal. Hopefully, while we all have views which differ greatly, lets try to have a thread which offers hope!

COYB
Ipswich till I die

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:52 pm

Continuing the positivity, I am convinced that with the squad we have we can easily get out of this league - but only once we start to play in the manner that is required. Ditch the tippy-tappy, slow building, play out from the back approach, and replace it with fast direct football, and we will absolutely p*ss this league. It's going to happen at some stage - it's got to - it's just a question of when

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:59 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:52 pm
Continuing the positivity, I am convinced that with the squad we have we can easily get out of this league - but only once we start to play in the manner that is required. Ditch the tippy-tappy, slow building, play out from the back approach, and replace it with fast direct football, and we will absolutely p*ss this league. It's going to happen at some stage - it's got to - it's just a question of when
Might be wrong but I don’t see McKenna ditching the tippy-tappy, slow building, play out from the back approach. Therefore, for that to happen we might be going down the new manager route.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:03 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:59 pm
rossi wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:52 pm
Might be wrong but I don’t see McKenna ditching the tippy-tappy, slow building, play out from the back approach. Therefore, for that to happen we might be going down the new manager route.
I think that if we fail to get promotion this season in whatever way, KM will be gone anyway.

He's a rookie manager, and I'm hoping that he'll see the error of his ways and become more flexible in his approach before he is pushed

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:16 pm

I think McKenna is for the long term. I’ve season to prove yourself in your first job is zero time for even an experienced manager. He’s barely hit the squad together. He does need to B adapt his approach and I’m confident he will to done degree. It’s the players that need to step up to the plate now. They miss so many holt edged chances it’s ridiculous.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:30 pm

Far too much positivity for me! I think we've overstretched ourselves with these signings... After getting knocked out of the playoffs in the semi final, McKenna will leave for Norwich and take them back to the Premiership. Ipswich will enter administration, as the american pension fund is found to be fraudulent and penniless. The club will then drop to the tenth tier of English football, where Ed Sheran will buy it for £1 and turn it in to an entertainment buissness in the mold of the Harlem Globetrotters.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:33 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:30 pm
Far too much positivity for me! I think we've overstretched ourselves with these signings... After getting knocked out of the playoffs in the semi final, McKenna will leave for Norwich and take them back to the Premiership. Ipswich will enter administration, as the american pension fund is found to be fraudulent and penniless. The club will then drop to the tenth tier of English football, where Ed Sheran will buy it for £1 and turn it in to an entertainment buissness in the mold of the Harlem Globetrotters.
I thought you said you didn't smoke anymore? :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:51 pm

you're not alllowed to say anything negative then regards the thread title ?

going to have to retract what intended to speak out on if that's the case.

say one thing, McKenna is not flawless, he's far from the best ever we've had here in a managerial capacity, but the dfference at least between the name and a large number of his predecessors is night and day. If we fail a promotion it won't all be down to the manager, other than fielding the same damn formation all too often, the players will themselves share the majority of culpability.

this season has been the best since Joe Royle, and that really is saying something. All right McCarthy got us to a play-off one year out of how many others in the league we fell out of but it were merely a brief moment of hope and expectation in an otherwise myriad of sub-standard years and failed accomplishment.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:36 pm

I disagree with the assumptions that tippy tappy football is not appropriate for this league. We’ve failed to win games due to defensive errors and poor finishing from our forward players. My all time favorite player Johan Cruyff is really one of the founders of Total Football, and in my opinion it’s the correct way to play the game. To proclaim the manager needs to change the system in order to get promotion now, is once again in my opinion ludicrous. Defend and increase leads and win matches with better defensive decisions and confident finishing. That’s not tippy tappy football; it’s players playing better.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:00 pm

Good points #9

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:43 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:33 pm
I thought you said you didn't smoke anymore? :lol:
:lol: I clearly get my highs from the desperation of wanting the current formula to succeed.

It's close, there is a hell of a lot more things that are good than those that are bad at the moment, so I don't thikk any major changes are the way to go. Broadhead stays fit, then great stuff, I'm yet to understand Hirst's loan, but we'll see on that.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:46 pm

Whatever the fans think the bookies still make us 1/4 joint favourites with Sheffield Wednesday for promotion to the Championship. Whilst they may not always be right we really shouldn’t be throwing the towel in this early, it’s ridiculous.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:01 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:36 pm
I disagree with the assumptions that tippy tappy football is not appropriate for this league. We’ve failed to win games due to defensive errors and poor finishing from our forward players. My all time favorite player Johan Cruyff is really one of the founders of Total Football, and in my opinion it’s the correct way to play the game. To proclaim the manager needs to change the system in order to get promotion now, is once again in my opinion ludicrous. Defend and increase leads and win matches with better defensive decisions and confident finishing. That’s not tippy tappy football; it’s players playing better.
You only have to look at the teams that have gained promotion out of this league in the past few seasons to understand that the direct football approach works best in this league.

As much as we have failed to win games because of poor finishing and defensive errors, you could equally blame it on slow build up and trying to walk the ball into the net, and that's very tippy-tappy.

Leave total football to the best players, because only the best players can do it properly - oh, and by the way, Johan Cruyff was not one of the founders of total football, he was merely a player (albeit a very good one) who was playing to the instructions of his managers.
Last edited by rossi on Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:03 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:46 pm
Whatever the fans think the bookies still make us 1/4 joint favourites with Sheffield Wednesday for promotion to the Championship. Whilst they may not always be right we really shouldn’t be throwing the towel in this early, it’s ridiculous.
I'm not sure that any fans are throwing in the towel, merely stating where they think we're going wrong. Personally, I don't see anything ridiculous in that.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:05 pm

:wink:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:20 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:01 pm
number 9 wrote:
You only have to look at the teams that have gained promotion out of this league in the past few seasons to understand that the direct football approach works best in this league.

As much as we have failed to win games because of poor finishing and defensive errors, you could equally blame it on slow build up and trying to walk the ball into the net, and that's very tippy-tappy.

Leave total football to the best players, because only the best players can do it properly - oh, and by the way, Johan Cruyff was not one of the founders of total football, he was merely a player (albeit a very good one) who was playing to the instructions of his managers.
That’s why I said he was one of the founders of total football. He certainly deserves credit for ingraining that philosophy, especially at Barcelona.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:52 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:20 pm
rossi wrote:
number 9 wrote:

That’s why I said he was one of the founders of total football. He certainly deserves credit for ingraining that philosophy, especially at Barcelona.
lol yes, but surely the founders were the managers who decided the approch and tactics, not the players who merely implemented their managers instructions? Unless you are saying that Cruyff dictated the approach and tactics of the teams he played for and the the managers went along with it, which I don't consider to be very plausible

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:49 am

rossi wrote:
Maybe they had done the same as you and just looked back at what had worked and copied it??

Do you think tippy tappy is more viable in the Championship, and if it is, then wouldn't there be some merit in tippy tapping out of League 1? You then have a system that should see you more secure in the Championship? Hypothetical and it's a bit 'getting ahead of yourself', but it's Ipswich, the style of football has always been important to the supporter, it may be one factor why there are good bums on seats.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:09 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:03 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:46 pm
I'm not sure that any fans are throwing in the towel, merely stating where they think we're going wrong. Personally, I don't see anything ridiculous in that.
You need to broaden your reading Rossi it’s all over numerous Town fan web sites, or maybe you don’t need to because it’s bloody demoralising. I’m seriously thinking of joining your club of selective reading cos some of the stuff I’ve read over the weekend you’d think we’d joined the relegation battle.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:18 pm

A good win tonight, especially with a goal or two from the new signings will certainly be a tonic.

Let's keep sight that our top January signing Broadhead has had a mere 34 minutes on the pitch, Clarke 13 minutes and Hirst 98. These guys will find their feet and I am convinced will finish off the chances that some of their team mates seem to constantly fluff.

While the gap to the top 2 is looking more like a chasm, both those teams will certainly lose more than the 3 they currently have done (indeed so too will we). There will be weekends where results fall our way.

Keep the faith.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:34 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:18 pm
A good win tonight, especially with a goal or two from the new signings will certainly be a tonic.

Let's keep sight that our top January signing Broadhead has had a mere 34 minutes on the pitch, Clarke 13 minutes and Hirst 98. These guys will find their feet and I am convinced will finish off the chances that some of their team mates seem to constantly fluff.

While the gap to the top 2 is looking more like a chasm, both those teams will certainly lose more than the 3 they currently have done (indeed so too will we). There will be weekends where results fall our way.

Keep the faith.
AM, even though the opposition won't be on the pitch I still wouldn't bet on our lot hitting the target. :lol: :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:42 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:34 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:18 pm

Keep the faith.

AM, even though the opposition won't be on the pitch I still wouldn't bet on our lot hitting the target. :lol: :lol:
:blush:
It's the eager anticipation of this blue-tinted glasses wearer wishing time away in an effort to get back on track as soon as possible. :wink: :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:20 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:49 am
rossi wrote:
Maybe they had done the same as you and just looked back at what had worked and copied it??

Do you think tippy tappy is more viable in the Championship, and if it is, then wouldn't there be some merit in tippy tapping out of League 1? You then have a system that should see you more secure in the Championship? Hypothetical and it's a bit 'getting ahead of yourself', but it's Ipswich, the style of football has always been important to the supporter, it may be one factor why there are good bums on seats.
As I said to #9 further up this thread, I think tippy-tappy only really works if you have the best players. It might follow, then, that as Championship has better players than L1 then it might work a bit better, but only a bit cos the players are still not at the higher standard. And I do not see any merit in playing that sort of style in L1 on the basis that it will serve us well in the Championship, because I am convinced that if we keep on playing the way we are then we will not get out of L1

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:06 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:52 am
lol yes, but surely the founders were the managers who decided the approch and tactics, not the players who merely implemented their managers instructions? Unless you are saying that Cruyff dictated the approach and tactics of the teams he played for and the the managers went along with it, which I don't consider to be very plausible
I think you've misunderstood what I was saying probably due to my unclear writing. Obviously, I meant when Cryuff was a manager...not a player. It's always a good debate though, which style works better for certain players etc. The most successful tactic is to score more goals than the other teams...it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:15 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:06 pm
rossi wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:52 am
I think you've misunderstood what I was saying probably due to my unclear writing. Obviously, I meant when Cryuff was a manager...not a player. It's always a good debate though, which style works better for certain players etc. The most successful tactic is to score more goals than the other teams...it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. :lol:
ah, I see where you're coming from now :)

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:44 pm

Just wanted to share this, it's the current xG graph for league 1 (xG for minus xG against). xG being expected goals, it's the best metric to analyse the amount and quality of chances a team has produced. It shows how dominant Ipswich have been this year, Town are at the top of the for and against charts, by a decent amount. I think it really backs up how we have really wasted chances, but also, have not been anywhere near clinical enough at the back.

I think that is why the bookies still back us, and think that is why McKenna has brought in two new strikers. However I think he is wary of making changes at the back, though I think it's the bigger issue.

I also think it shows that the team have not necessarily been playing poorly or playing the wrong style. They have had the most chances to score out of any team in the league by same way and have failed to convert enough. They have also had the least chances against them, but have conceded too many times when they shouldn't have.

Tippy tappy gives you extra possession, which you could argue limits the other team's time on the ball and opportunities to score. On the flip side you could say that it is slower to move the ball forward, allowing opposition teams a chance to organise at the back better, and also overloads their half, giving them a better chance of counter attacking football, which is usually more fruitful considering the extra space and defensive disorganisation it often creates.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:18 pm

Very good Ricco! 👍 :D thank you for that.

So essentially our strikers are sh*t !

But I would also advocate that any team looking for automatic promotion must have the ability to defend a 1 goal lead in its locker. We do not. And as soon as the opposition gets that ONE opportunity to get the ball in our box, we usually concede, despite having had circa 70-80% possession.

Edit: hope you don’t mind but I’ve borrowed snd posted it on TWTD since it’s a good positive piece ( think we all need lifting a bit) but I’ve credited it to you ( but not named you ok) x

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:40 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:18 pm
Edit: hope you don’t mind but I’ve borrowed snd posted it on TWTD since it’s a good positive piece ( think we all need lifting a bit) but I’ve credited it to you ( but not named you ok) x
Feel free, I'm glad it reached the positive remit :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:55 pm

Lol oh yes it did 👍

So I’ve nicked a reply from a TWTD’er … lol

Are we consistently creating way more chances than the opposition at a historically title winning rate? Yes.
Are we ruthless enough in both boxes to convert that at this current time? No.
Do we need to completely change our approach? Absolutely not.

See the link for a different stats graphic….

#ITFC
https://twitter.com/ITFCAnalytics/statu ... graph%2F16