League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Morecambe FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Seems like a bit of a must win?

Ipswich Win
88%
Morecombe Win
6%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 17

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Morecambe FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:02 pm

Image Ipswich Town vs Morecambe FC Image

Tuesday 24th January 2023 – 19:45

Portman Road

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

Saturday's trip to the Kassam Stadium ultimately ended in a disappointing defeat which may well just have left our automatic promotion hopes in tatters, yes there are still plenty of games to go but I remember saying that 6-7 games ago and in that time our plight has got quite a bit worse. I felt the performance from start to finish was laden with errors, normally I am of the opinion that is is defensively that cost's us wins/points and while we once again contrived to shed Two poor goals it cannot be ignored that some of our misses from almost unmissable positions were bordering on criminal, Burns, Harness, Chaplin & Hirst all guilty of missing without even hitting the target, it really was abject finishing which on this occasion most definitely cost us the points.

That said I am not sure we did anywhere near enough to merit the victory and what a contrast it was from the Boxing Day stroll against the same opposition, it came across to me that karl Robinson had definitely done his homework and learnt from it while we adopted the mentality that we merely had to turn up to roll them over again. From the off we just did not look up for it at all and I can't remember much in the way of quality from us, the Attack was limp, the defence weak yet again and the Midfield hit and miss although I did think skipper Sam Morsy had an excellent game while most around him floundered.

The result coupled with the obligatory wins for Plymouth & Sheff Wed now makes very poor reading where the League table is concerned, in fact I would say even at this relatively early stage and taking into account the way we like to throw leads away that we are destined for the lottery that is the play offs, we cannot string wins together and haven't done all season. I was firmly of the opinion we would go up automatically and probably as champions but I am not seeing that scenario panning out at all now.

I know it is a bit of a broken record here but the selection and substitutions often baffle me, I was not getting the Hirst signing to start with and if anyone can tell me that he did more than Ladapo does I would argue it all day long, rarely did he drip deep to win the ball, only once did he roll a defender and get away from him, won little in the Air and while Ladapo is not great in the air either he does do the other things very well, in fact when he came on you could see the improvement in that area.

Something else that I would like clarification on, was Cameron Humphreys injured or just dumped from the squad ? Because if he was not injured and he has been dropped to accomodate Luongo then I am sorry I am not going with that as being good management at all, I sincerely hope he had a small knock or something to justify the reasoning. Only last week I made the point we had nine games coming up that looked like a chance to rack up as many as Eight wins, well that went well as we fell at the first hurdle. The second hurdle did look like the easiest of the lot with struggling Morecambe coming to Portman Road, this is our game in hand and should we win it we would be a mere seven points behind leaders Plymouth who despite another of my predictions have not thus far fallen off the pace and in truth still don't look like doing so. I suppose a win for us Tuesday and a win for Sheff Wed over Plymouth could just possibly have us as close as Four points again but I really am getting fed up of if's and but's now.

On a positive note I liked what I saw of Nathan Broadhead, albeit not for very long and through the pea soup fog that decided to come down in Oxford on Saturday, same for both teams I am afraid but man that was ridiculous. He did at least look hungry and very direct going forward, trying to run at defenders and make things happen, we are going to need plenty of that from here on in.

We need a good run and we need it now, five or Six wins on the bounce changes things massively but do we honestly look capable ? I am not so sure to be perfectly honest, so come on Town, prove me wrong and start doing what this squad should be doing and that is dominating teams and winning games, it's not terminal just yet but the Play off's are looking horrifyingly real at the moment. COYB'S

The Opposition – Morecambe FC Honours

League

League Two (4th tier)
Play-off winners (1): 2020–21

Conference National (5th tier)
Play-off winners (1): 2006–07

Northern Premier League (6th tier)
Runners-up and promoted (1): 1994–95

Lancashire Combination
Champions (5): 1924–25, 1961–62, 1962–63, 1966–67, 1967–68

Cups

FA Trophy
Winners (1): 1973–74

Conference League Cup
Winners (1): 1997–98

Northern Premier League President's Cup
Winners (1): 1991–92

Lancashire Senior Cup
Winners (1): 1967–68

Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy
Winners (11): 1925–26, 1926–27, 1961–62, 1962–63, 1968–69, 1985–86, 1986–7, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04

Lancashire Combination Cup
Winners (5): 1926–27, 1945–46, 1964–65, 1966–67, 1967–68

The Manager – Derek Adams

League Table

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

26 Dec Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Oxford Utd

29 Dec Portsmouth 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

2 Jan Lincoln City 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

14 Jan Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Plymouth

21 Jan Oxford Utd 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

Morecambe FC

26 Dec Port Vale 1 - 0 Morecambe

29 Dec Morecambe 2 - 0 Accrington

1 Jan Morecambe 5 - 0 Burton Albion

7 Jan Morecambe 2 - 1 Cheltenham

14 Jan Cambridge Utd pp. Morecambe

21 Jan Morecambe pp. Port Vale

Head to Head

Match Referee – David Rock

IPSWICH TOWN 2 MORECAMBE FC 0

Mariner67

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Morecombe FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Mariner67 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:11 pm

Just purchased ticket for game ,first in a few years ,hope to see us win,its going to be bloody cold,might take some heat pads my partner was using on the picket line for NHS nurses :D

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:08 pm

Good idea on the heat pads!

I think we’ll see changes in the lineup for this game, I predict:

Walton

Clarke
Edmundson (possibly burns)
Wolfie
Davies

Humpreys
Morsy

Burns
Chaplin
Broadhead

Hirst

That’s who I’d go with, I think central defense might need a shuffle, JD given a rest/chance to see Clarke and then we’ll see Broadhead in for harness.
Wouldn’t surprise me to see Ladapo but I suspect Km is backing Hirst to play himself into match sharpness/form.

Evans hasn’t quite been at his high levels since that injury return, so maybe time to give Cam a go.

Something has to change, formation or lineup / just need a lift from somewhere. Broadhead looks quite direct and someone who can carry the ball.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:32 am

Well if we don’t beat Morecambe I’ll happily tippy tappy my way out of the room…

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:40 am

You've spelt Morecambe wrong by the way

In any event, voted to win - in that we have to.

They're like 21st position but you can't take any opposition for granted in this league. They'll have their own objective in trying to pull away from the lower reaches of the division so by no means will this be an easy game. They got something themselves to fight for.

Losing further ground on the top two would be in "football" terms at least, something of a catastrophe. Not only that but teams such as Derby, Bolton et cetera (Barnsley have two games in hand over us) are not far behind. We have to win tomorrow, anything else will be something unmentionable.

I just hope the players realize the gravity of the situation and go out from the start and make our usual chances count. They're beatable for sure, but once again this won't be as necessarily straight forward as some may envisage.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:52 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:40 am

Sorry, I accept that will probably affect the outcome of the result AP :wink: :D

Shed on tour

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Morecambe FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:54 am

Probably make hard work of it but will go for a narrow Town win to secure 3 important points.
Town 2 Morecambe 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:19 am

Nice preview. And no, not stuck records. People close to the forum know you say it like it is…… might not be everyones opinion……. but its no doubt valued by most.

On that note: i f**king hate football at this particular moment in time. Tough couple days with banter type “memes” and “gifs” from Jambofuckers has left me a totally peed off….. not at the people sending them; no chance, most of them are my good mates…… but at football clubs in general; bosses, players etc etc.
I mean seriously?? WTF is going on? Plenty investment @ Easter Road & Pittodrie , yet they’re just utter sh*te. And tying that in with Ipswich Town FC. ———>> No, its not entirely the same, but FFS, show some steeliness like Darvel last night. (The same steeliness you asked for in the last preview)
To ALL the supposed “pro” soccer players ——->> pull your fkn fingers out. You overpaid charlatans.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
100% must win tonight. The bookies say, (and FK the bookies)…… 2/9 Town…… 11/1 Morecambe.
Got to be 3pts.
Re Ladapo. I know he does good things…… but if he started hitting the net a few times, I reckon KMcK doesn’t swap it around as much. Desperate for that lad to shine brighter.
2-0 ITFC

Ref Caption:
Headline:

REF MISSES CRUCIAL INCIDENT DUE TO LOOKING AT THE SIZEABLE QUEUE AT PIE STALL

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:41 am

Marko, do you think 11 goals is a bad return for a player that's continuously been pissed around by a smart arse manager? Remember the Rotherham fan who at the start of the season said he's very much a confidence player who scores goals in bursts, that just isn't possible the way he's utilised, all I do know is he scores more than any of our recent strikers, even Norwood etc barely got more and he was the messiah in some people's eyes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:53 am

Yep, can see your point……. And also fully understand that you see entire games. I can’t comment on any of the lads hold up play, passes he makes etc……. I know they exist…… its just the sitters he misses at times. (And to be honest; of those goals, my grandaughter wouldve been hard pushed to miss)……. But yep, could all go back to the manager, and no doubt should shoulder most of blame for the onset of Lambert style tinkering.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:55 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:40 am

In any event, voted to win - in that we have to.

They're like 21st position but you can't take any opposition for granted in this league. They'll have their own objective in trying to pull away from the lower reaches of the division so by no means will this be an easy game. They got something themselves to fight for.

Losing further ground on the top two would be in "football" terms at least, something of a catastrophe. Not only that but teams such as Derby, Bolton et cetera (Barnsley have two games in hand over us) are not far behind. We have to win tomorrow, anything else will be something unmentionable.

I just hope the players realize the gravity of the situation and go out from the start and make our usual chances count. They're beatable for sure, but once again this won't be as necessarily straight forward as some may envisage.
Hahaha - Tires? :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:29 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:53 am
Yep, can see your point……. And also fully understand that you see entire games. I can’t comment on any of the lads hold up play, passes he makes etc……. I know they exist…… its just the sitters he misses at times. (And to be honest; of those goals, my grandaughter wouldve been hard pushed to miss)……. But yep, could all go back to the manager, and no doubt should shoulder most of blame for the onset of Lambert style tinkering.
He's certainly not perfect, far from it, in fact he could be described as average but when I look at the number of errors others have made, particularly at the back I just feel he gets a bit of a raw deal, we seem to love a scapegoat this club.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:55 am

As a complete game…… it goes both ways. In my opinion of course. Fully agree, headless chicken defending yep…… but carthorse striking is happening on the same pitch during the 90mins.

Think i said on a thread last week…….. so much stick of the forwards, so much stick of the backs; maybe the midfield has a few faults that are being overlooked. Unnecessary pressure being forced upon the defence maybe? Maybe better more accurate balls through to the forwards? I dunno 🤷‍♂️

Edit to add: Or maybe, its McKenna? 🤷‍♂️
Hearts pumped Aberdeen 5-0 then played completely unchanged side v Hibs in cup. Maybe its the settled side scenario Kieron needs to get sorted out. Like you say.,,…. Give Freddie yer confidence that he’s the man, like Neilson does with Ginelly @ the hertz c**ts.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:58 am

The defence can't do the basics at times though, can't deal with corners or crosses, struggle with bouncing balls and a general lack of composure, its really basic stuff we seem to have an issue with.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:00 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:55 am
As a complete game…… it goes both ways. In my opinion of course. Fully agree, headless chicken defending yep…… but carthorse striking is happening on the same pitch during the 90mins.

Think i said on a thread last week…….. so much stick of the forwards, so much stick of the backs; maybe the midfield has a few faults that are being overlooked. Unnecessary pressure being forced upon the defence maybe? Maybe better more accurate balls through to the forwards? I dunno 🤷‍♂️

Edit to add: Or maybe, its McKenna? 🤷‍♂️
Hearts pumped Aberdeen 5-0 then played completely unchanged side v Hibs in cup. Maybe its the settled side scenario Kieron needs to get sorted out. Like you say.,,…. Give Freddie yer confidence that he’s the man, like Neilson does with Ginelly @ the hertz c**ts.
People don't like it but certain things are definitely McKenna, the rotation has been counter productive, I remember the prat saying Chaplin was outstanding in one game, next game on the bench, its crazy and a bit of inexperience for me.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:54 am

I am hoping we will win this but not holding my breath, if we get another draw (or loss) I would not be surprised, sadly.

We need to get on a winning streak now, KM stop bloody rotating and piddling around, go for best performers, and then stick with them for a while, we need stability.

Going to be optimistic and going for a 2 - 1 win.

If we lose this I am going to bury my boot up KM's jacksy, without any lube lol.

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:35 pm

'............teams who get promoted beat Morecambe at home'. from the EADT. Spot on.

McK does need to find a Plan B if Plan A isn't working. Plan B can't just be reshuffling the pack. It needs to be more direct football.

Other managers have worked out a standard game plan against Ipswich. Stifle the slow build-up and then wait for the inevitable defensive error or two.

Oxford for the last three games prior to Saturday played

4-3-3
4-2-3-1
4-2-3-1

against us is was

3-5-2 - so no center forward and they squeezed us in mid-field.

Plan B.

I still think we'll win tonight 2-0. COYB!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:28 pm

For years we’ve been defending our forwards because the midfield wasn’t providing them with chances to score, and now that’s been fixed they get more chances than most other teams week in and week out.
It was interesting listening to Harry Kane being interviewed after the Fulham game last night and his reference to a strikers instinct of knowing where the goal is without looking learned on the practice ground spending hours every day shooting into an empty net week in and week out.
Given our boys were struggling to find the net from 6 yards on Saturday and not for the first time either, I just wonder if the simple fix is more shooting practice until they know where the goal net is with instinct from anywhere inside the penalty area.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:58 am
The defence can't do the basics at times though, can't deal with corners or crosses, struggle with bouncing balls and a general lack of composure, its really basic stuff we seem to have an issue with.
That explains a lot :)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:48 pm

Sheff Wed game off tonight

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:07 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:28 pm
I just wonder if the simple fix is more shooting practice until they know where the goal net is with instinct from anywhere inside the penalty area.
I get your point Charny, but these players are professionals...aren't they? I think Shed would even put away many of those chances! I'm not sure they're getting the bollocking they all deserve; KM doesn't seem like the type to lose his composure and throw hairdryers. I think that's what some of them need though. KM keeps talking about all of the good things we do, keeping possession and creating chances etc. He needs to be talking about better defending and finishing and what he's gonna do about it. This is not a circus, so he needs to get the elephant out of the room and motivate his forwards to score goals. Stop clowning around and juggle a few ideas, KM ffs!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:08 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:28 pm

It was interesting listening to Harry Kane being interviewed after the Fulham game last night and his reference to a strikers instinct of knowing where the goal is without looking learned on the practice ground spending hours every day shooting into an empty net week in and week out.
Not only his shooting instinct, there were a couple of occasions where Kane played fantastic balls into the penalty box from the right during the World Cup, those players running into the box instinctively knew where to position themselves to meet that ball. Something else our wingers and strikers could work on more?

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:57 pm

Guys remember, these are league 1 players (or lower championship) - they aren't World class like Kane.

Weirdly plan A I would argue IS working in terms of creating chances, but we aren't taking them. (combined with very dodgy defending).
We maybe just need to do things a little faster and take more pot-shots as some of our goals have come from just having a go rather than trying to walk it in, needs to be a balance.

Anyway we could argue this all day, lets see what tonight brings. Hopefully these new players can start to come good and give us a lift.

Very good comments on this weeks 'Kings of Anglia' podcast about our current form - always enjoy listening to those guys.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:15 pm

Well it’s sh*t or bust time now as far as I’m concerned. We need to win every game in Feb , including SWFC . Do that , we’ll probably go up . But ffs forwards stick the ball in the net !!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:34 pm

And still we all keep talking about the strikers, we are the top scorers in the division for christ sake and yet have conceded the same amount as lowly Fleetwood and more than several teams in the division, when will people get it !!!,

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:38 pm

Christ would’ve picked a better 11, plus 1 sub.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:46 pm

Plenty of changes in defence.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:47 pm

Good side, 2 goons at CB dumped and the front Three I wanted !!!

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:47 pm
Yes agree but I wouldn't have Jackson in the 18 and I wondered if he would give Hladky a chance as Walton has not looked good for a while now.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:47 pm
Hmm, let's hope Keogh has 90+ minutes in him or that we have no injuries at CB! Ok so Clarke could move across, but I'm not seeing any Central defensive cover!