Manchester City Charged by EPL for breach of FFP Rules

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Manchester City Charged by EPL for breach of FFP Rules

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:33 am

Man City have been charged with multiple breaches of the Premier League’s Financial Fair Play Rules which many thought they were immune from.

This may also explain their inactivity in the January transfer window.

It will be very interesting what the outcome might be.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Manchester City Charged by EPL for breach of FFP Rules

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:58 pm

Demoted to 2nd division, that would bloody teach them if allegations are true.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:58 pm
Demoted to 2nd division, that would bloody teach them if allegations are true.
I suspect they will be found guilty Mike as there are multiple charges not just one that some fancy lawyer can get round on a technicality. Big points deduction and Peps dream of a Champions League Title out of the window, unless they win it this season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:53 pm

I’m not sure they could lose enough points to trigger relegation but if they did we could get to meet them in the Championship next season if the boys pull their finger out.

This also reminded me it’s not that far back that Man City were playing in League One/Third Division (1998/99), who now would ever believe it.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:53 pm

Chelsea must be looking over their shoulder as well.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:05 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:53 pm
I’m not sure they could lose enough points to trigger relegation but if they did we could get to meet them in the Championship next season if the boys pull their finger out.

This also reminded me it’s not that far back that Man City were playing in League One/Third Division (1998/99), who now would ever believe it.
Was that the year they beat Gillingham on penalties in the playoff final at Wembley? If I remember correctly City equalised right at the end after Gillingham went 2-0 up earlier in the game. Think Nicky Weaver was in goal for City then.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:35 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:05 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Was that the year they beat Gillingham on penalties in the playoff final at Wembley? If I remember correctly City equalised right at the end after Gillingham went 2-0 up earlier in the game. Think Nicky Weaver was in goal for City then.
Blimey Shed what a memory you have I’d never have remembered without your prompt but with it I remember watching the game and Wembley Stadium being filled with mostly City fans and setting an attendance record.
I couldn’t remember the timing of the goals, but just checked and it was 0-0 up to the 81st minute when Gillingham opened the scoring and added another a few minutes later. City halved the deficit thro Kevin Horlock on 90mins and Paul Dickov equalised on 90+5. No goals were added in Extra Time and City won 3-1 on penalties which I can remember watching. You’re right it was Nicky Weaver in goal for City and saved 2 penalties. Joe Royal was manager for City and Tony Pulis for Gillingham.
That was another game with “lessons learned” for fans not to leave early as many City fans had and missed their teams big come back.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:39 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:35 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:05 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Blimey Shed what a memory you have I’d never have remembered without your prompt but with it I remember watching the game and Wembley Stadium being filled with mostly City fans and setting an attendance record.
I couldn’t remember the timing of the goals, but just checked and it was 0-0 up to the 81st minute when Gillingham opened the scoring and added another a few minutes later. City halved the deficit thro Kevin Horlock on 90mins and Paul Dickov equalised on 90+5. No goals were added in Extra Time and City won 3-1 on penalties which I can remember watching. You’re right it was Nicky Weaver in goal for City and saved 2 penalties. Joe Royal was manager for City and Tony Pulis for Gillingham.
That was another game with “lessons learned” for fans not to leave early as many City fans had and missed their teams big come back.
Memory is not that good Charny, the only reason that game sticks in the memory is because it was one of the first games I ever watched on Sky as we just had it installed. I know at the time there was a lot of talk about whether Weaver or Wrighty would be the future England goalkeeper.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:27 pm

I remember that game well and like a prat I was cheering for City, no way would that happen now.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:34 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:27 pm
I remember that game well and like a prat I was cheering for City, no way would that happen now.
They were exciting to watch at the time Mike and their fans amazing. Unlike United whose fans were global City were seen as the Club for proper Mancunians and were far from being either wealthy or fashionable. I have a soft spot for them and loved going to the old Maine Road ground whenever I was staying in Manchester on a mid week game night with a work mate of mine who was a light blue nut case, the atmosphere standing on the terrace made the hair stand up on thd back of your neck.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:59 pm

I’m sure Ian Curtis would have loved it too, if he was still living. I dunno, I hope ManShitty come through this ok. They’re an important fixture in the Prem’s top four. Pep doesn’t deserve to be demoted. Sort it out EPL.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:23 am

You can bet your as* any powers that be won't do a damn thing regards impose any relevant penalty. What they going to do, fine them : the revenue they bring in and money available will have zero impact on them unless it's some remarkable penalty unheard of since the industry started. Can't see a points deduction and as for idea of demotion to a lower league, it's so unlikely / outlandish it's not worth the time to put into text.

People of a certain age can recall years of say late 1960's, mid 1970's, when they assembled a very good team and were on the verge - and won - honors, but after beating us in a Cup semi-final, (at that stage) they were at the end of their powers and just disappeared of the map for the best part of the next thirty years.

Crucial point in where they are now is largely down to the Gillingham Play-Off game. Had they lost that day it may have been different and nowhere near the stature they become but maybe we'll never know. Essentially they're the Northern variant of Chelsea, got taken over by some obscene rich investors and became largely successful, whereas before just anonymous in the wilderness and not up to much. Not jealous, never have been, never will be, just don't like the idea of it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:35 am

Why no points deduction, Spidey?

How about next season starting on minus 20 or something like that?

Knowing them, they'll still qualify for the CL.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:07 pm

Can't see the powers that be will do much but a slap on the wrist and a "don't it again" speech. No ones got the balls to go big on their punishment! If only I was in charge...............!!!! :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:03 pm

I don’t understand your thought process Liz. Why would the Premier League spend 4 years investigating Man City if they’ve no interest in finding them guilty and punishing them. I think quite the opposite, I think they’re gunning for them because of their ownership which gives them an unfair competitive advantage.

I think the risk of punishment not being applied comes from higher authorities like the Court of Arbitration who overturned Man City’s previous 2 year ban on competing in European Competitions applied by UEFA in 2018

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:17 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:03 pm
I don’t understand your thought process Liz. Why would the Premier League spend 4 years investigating Man City if they’ve no interest in finding them guilty and punishing them. I think quite the opposite, I think they’re gunning for them because of their ownership which gives them an unfair competitive advantage.

I think the risk of punishment not being applied comes from higher authorities like the Court of Arbitration who overturned Man City’s previous 2 year ban on competing in European Competitions applied by UEFA in 2018
Court of Arbitration was an EU thing, no? Won't work now, if they want to fight it it'll be through the English court system.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:19 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:17 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Court of Arbitration was an EU thing, no? Won't work now, if they want to fight it it'll be through the English court system.
The last punishment went to the Switzerland based Court of Arbitration because it was handed out by UEFA. Any punishment dished out by the Premier League will go through the Premier Leagues own Appeals Panel which is hardly independent. I assume there will be a higher authority somewhere but I don’t know what it is, which is why I loosely said “like the Court of Arbitration.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:25 pm

Charnwood wrote:

Because although they have spent 4 years looking at them, in the end they'll get away with most of it!! I really hope I'm wrong and you are right. They deserve to get multiple books thrown at them, preferably attached to a few bricks, but I'm not going to hold my breath.......

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:35 pm

Charnwood wrote:
I think they’re gunning for them because of their ownership which gives them an unfair competitive advantage.
True, but personally reckon the entire soccer scenario is unfair and an absolute joke. A draft system across Europe like the NFL / AFL would reign things in significantly. It’d create more “Leicester” type scenarios without it being an utter fluke, (like Leicesters was).

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:36 pm

LizinSpain wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:25 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Because although they have spent 4 years looking at them, in the end they'll get away with most of it!! I really hope I'm wrong and you are right. They deserve to get multiple books thrown at them, preferably attached to a few bricks, but I'm not going to hold my breath.......
Pre-season Points deduction is definitely a good lesson. But Citeh have TOO much dough.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:34 pm

The punishments available to the EPL range from fines to expulsion from the League which would ultimately mean relegation to the Championship assuming the EFL would be prepared to accept them.

I honestly think this is too big to get swept under the table and expect an appropriate punishment to be handed out. It would certainly send a strong message to all other clubs ( eg Newcastle United and Chelsea etc ) in similar ownerships that they can’t simply do as they like and get away with it.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:25 pm

I think a 15-point deduction NOW and another next season, fining City would be pointless unless it is added to their FFP total spend, plus add on to that, they cannot sign any new players for the 23/24 24/25 seasons, this has to be set out that you cannot break the FFP ruling and the bigger the club the more they can be scrutinised and thoroughly checked out from top to bottom as it's not fair that other sides that abide the FFP rules suffer. so watch out Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Newcastle, to show that you cant have squads of 50+ players and mop up all the talented youth that most get wasted and don't stand a cat in hells chance of Premiership football. The current rules have to be changed for the better of other clubs throughout the football league.

It's getting too one-sided like the SPL two sides who you know will win the league and cups year in and year out it's bloody boring, let's see the TV sky and sponsorship money distributed out more evenly across the spectrum and just maybe a team like :shock: Partick Thistle can stand a chance of winning the SPL :lol: :lol: :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:48 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:25 pm
I think a 15-point deduction NOW and another next season, fining City would be pointless unless it is added to their FFP total spend, plus add on to that, they cannot sign any new players for the 23/24 24/25 seasons, this has to be set out that you cannot break the FFP ruling and the bigger the club the more they can be scrutinised and thoroughly checked out from top to bottom as it's not fair that other sides that abide the FFP rules suffer. so watch out Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Newcastle, to show that you cant have squads of 50+ players and mop up all the talented youth that most get wasted and don't stand a cat in hells chance of Premiership football. The current rules have to be changed for the better of other clubs throughout the football league.

It's getting too one-sided like the SPL two sides who you know will win the league and cups year in and year out it's bloody boring, let's see the TV sky and sponsorship money distributed out more evenly across the spectrum and just maybe a team like :shock: Partick Thistle can stand a chance of winning the SPL :lol: :lol: :lol:
We're of an age where you can recall Kilmarnock winning the damn thing, can you imagine that now. This MCFC penalty / fine issue, in an ideal world you'd transport them back to 1987 or thereabouts where they were probably at their most obscure and toothless and have fans watch say 14,000 at Maine Road playing for some jackass tournament win like the Zenith Data Systems trophy. It's not viable, it can't happen, but it would be a suitable punishment some would argue.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:59 pm

If the alleged breaches of financial rules are proven and the Premier League commission advises the strongest possible punishment, current rules would not allow for immediate entry into the Championship
Manchester City could face a humiliating climb through the English football pyramid if the alleged breaches the Premier League has charged them with are proven and result in expulsion from the top flight.
While there has been an expectation that such an extreme outcome would see the Abu Dhabi project go into the Championship, that would only be the case if it a points deduction led to relegation.
If the alleged breaches are proven, and the Premier League commission advises the strongest possible punishment of expulsion, the current English Football League rules would not allow for immediate entry into the Championship.
The EFL would in fact have to agree to accept City in the first place and, even in that scenario, it would be to enter League Two. The EFL would have to change their existing regulations to allow any club to go straight into the second tier, or else City would need to rise from the bottom of the Football League.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:10 am

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:34 pm
assuming the EFL would be prepared to accept them.
Make 'em start again from the bottom, like the reformed Glasgow Rangers?

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:31 am

If any fine or points deduction or expulsion..that will be handed to them...it won't happen for a few seasons by the looks of things..this will go to the courts and be dragged out as city have the financial clout to do that..

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:51 am

What, exactly have Man City done wrong? We all know they have serious financial backing and can pay whatever for players. I didn’t think there were restrictions on how much you spend in the PL which is why clubs are getting into financial trouble with their banks!

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:26 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:31 am
If any fine or points deduction or expulsion..that will be handed to them...it won't happen for a few seasons by the looks of things..this will go to the courts and be dragged out as city have the financial clout to do that..
Exactly! They'll end up getting away with it and so will all the others who have yet to be caught! Its a farce!

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:48 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:51 am
What, exactly have Man City done wrong? We all know they have serious financial backing and can pay whatever for players. I didn’t think there were restrictions on how much you spend in the PL which is why clubs are getting into financial trouble with their banks!
I'm sure there ARE restrictions on spending in the EPL, you aren't allowed to spend over a certain % of your income on wages/transfers or such. I think UEFA have some rules on top of this too.

It might have been relaxed a bit due to covid, but there is very much a rulebook on this.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:12 pm

There's also issues of transparency, you have to declare everything correctly, I believe this is part of it? Though its just one thing I read, I can't be bothered to read any more than one article though, it's going to bubble on for a long time and be pathetic headline after pathetic headline. I'll read about it again when there's a conclusion.

There's so so much money involved though, I don't think Rangers' situation can be compared all that much. No offense to Scottish Prem, but there just isn't the same levels of money involved, especially 10 years ago or whenever it happened to Rangers, and we all know that sadly money talks.