FA Cup (Round 4 replay) - Burnley FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A bridge too far?

Burnley Win
50%
Ipswich Win
14%
Penalties
36%

Total votes: 14

Cabanas Blue

Re: FA Cup (Round 4 replay) - Burnley FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Cabanas Blue » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:43 am

Kompany: Not Many Championship Clubs Have Competed Like Town at Turf Moor This Season
Tuesday, 7th Feb 2023 23:05
Burnley manager Vincent Kompany says Town competed as well as anyone the Clarets have faced at Turf Moor this season as they took them to injury time in an FA Cup fourth-round replay before losing 2-1 in injury time, and believes they have the level to play in the Championship.

Kompany, who praised the Blues and Portman Road after the first match at Portman Road, which ended 0-0, was pleased to finally get the tie won, his side maintaining this season's unbeaten home record.

“Job done,” he said. “A tough game, that was to be expected. Ipswich are a good side and there’s not a big difference between Ipswich and some of the teams we face in the Championship and therefore I’m really happy and pleased with the result.”

Nice words from Vincent Kompany.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: FA Cup (Round 4 replay) - Burnley FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:39 am

Nice words indeed and pleasing to hear, at no point have I criticised the performance if you read my posts properly, at the end of the day none of us saw the game so have to go on what we read which is fine. My angst is the manner in which we lose it yet again, its a recurring theme that we are failing to address and ultimately its going to cost us big time, doesn't matter that it was a cup game it still happened. I wonder if all these positive people who normally go into meltdown at the loss of a corner will feel as chipper Saturday should we play brilliantly, draw praise from Darren Moore and fall away from automatic promotion completely becauseof a 90+ minute goal, I think I know the answer.
Anyway we move on, roll on Saturday.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:06 am

Thats 180 minutes of football that these players have got themselves “up” for. And there has been valuable feedback from VK.
Got to assume McKenna is NOT dishing out different types of team talks……. He will know for sure that SheffWed is a far bigger game than Burnley…….. therefore if its another Cambridge performance ——>> it’ll be on the players. Seeing games out is and always will be on the players.
Certainly wouldn’t be “starting” to hound on KMcK at this stage. Really wouldn’t. It really could breed something wholly negative.
Got to believe that some of the players need to start to work for their manager at the most crucial of times.
There are no Messiahs in football, —->> a Paul Warne (or feckin whoever) doesn’t go to Cambridge and win. To be piling the pressure on for the final 10 mins and leave with a point cant be on the manager. Thats my tuppence ha’penny worth.

Disclaimer:……. If its 2-0 Weds at PR on Sat…… KMcK out. :lol:
(Joking ——>> , but do fear that because that’ll be a disaster…… needs the season)

Edit: A lot of Hibs fans were calling for Jack Ross’ head which massively got on my tits. Was a breath of fresh air after Heckingbottom……. But sacked due to fan pressure……. And in walks Shaun Fkn Maloney. Arguably the worst manager in the clubs history.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:33 am

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:43 am
Kompany: Not Many Championship Clubs Have Competed Like Town at Turf Moor This Season
Tuesday, 7th Feb 2023 23:05
Burnley manager Vincent Kompany says Town competed as well as anyone the Clarets have faced at Turf Moor this season as they took them to injury time in an FA Cup fourth-round replay before losing 2-1 in injury time, and believes they have the level to play in the Championship.

Kompany, who praised the Blues and Portman Road after the first match at Portman Road, which ended 0-0, was pleased to finally get the tie won, his side maintaining this season's unbeaten home record.

“Job done,” he said. “A tough game, that was to be expected. Ipswich are a good side and there’s not a big difference between Ipswich and some of the teams we face in the Championship and therefore I’m really happy and pleased with the result.”

Nice words from Vincent Kompany.

Bet that didn’t include suttons narwich. !! Lol

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:55 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:06 am
Thats 180 minutes of football that these players have got themselves “up” for. And there has been valuable feedback from VK.
Got to assume McKenna is NOT dishing out different types of team talks……. He will know for sure that SheffWed is a far bigger game than Burnley…….. therefore if its another Cambridge performance ——>> it’ll be on the players. Seeing games out is and always will be on the players.
Certainly wouldn’t be “starting” to hound on KMcK at this stage. Really wouldn’t. It really could breed something wholly negative.
Got to believe that some of the players need to start to work for their manager at the most crucial of times.
There are no Messiahs in football, —->> a Paul Warne (or feckin whoever) doesn’t go to Cambridge and win. To be piling the pressure on for the final 10 mins and leave with a point cant be on the manager. Thats my tuppence ha’penny worth.

(Joking ——>> , but do fear that because that’ll be a disaster…… needs the season)

Edit: A lot of Hibs fans were calling for Jack Ross’ head which massively got on my tits. Was a breath of fresh air after Heckingbottom……. But sacked due to fan pressure……. And in walks Shaun Fkn Maloney. Arguably the worst manager in the clubs history.
Marko, not even close to hounding KM, I rate him, am pleased we have him and think he's going to be an excellent Manager, the fact remains that he for whatever reason cannot stop this conceding of late late goals, doesn't matter what the competition is it keeps on happening. Yes the players have to be accountable too, Charlton being a classic example but there also seems to be a,m weakness of sorts, attention for 96 minutes ? Fitness and fatigue ? Or just a mental issue at crucial times, either way they are his players, playing to his formation under his team selection, its happened way too many times, what did I read, 16 points lost in the final 12 minutes of games ? More than bad luck or coincidence for me.

Anyway, it needs to be parked and all focus on Saturday where I hope another of his failings doesn't raise its head when the team selection is made, no benching the best players and goalscorers please. This game really is a season defining moment, let's hope we see Town at their best, let's not forget the plaudits we got from the first game with Burnley, only to produce a right shitshow at Cambridge days later.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:23 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:55 am
marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:06 am

Marko, not even close to hounding KM, I rate him, am pleased we have him and think he's going to be an excellent Manager, the fact remains that he for whatever reason cannot stop this conceding of late late goals, doesn't matter what the competition is it keeps on happening. Yes the players have to be accountable too, Charlton being a classic example but there also seems to be a,m weakness of sorts, attention for 96 minutes ? Fitness and fatigue ? Or just a mental issue at crucial times, either way they are his players, playing to his formation under his team selection, its happened way too many times, what did I read, 16 points lost in the final 12 minutes of games ? More than bad luck or coincidence for me.

Anyway, it needs to be parked and all focus on Saturday where I hope another of his failings doesn't raise its head when the team selection is made, no benching the best players and goalscorers please. This game really is a season defining moment, let's hope we see Town at their best, let's not forget the plaudits we got from the first game with Burnley, only to produce a right shitshow at Cambridge days later.
Yep, 🙏, helping his own cause.

Chokes me to say it……. Be more like Robbie dour-fuckface Neilson, Kieron.
Unchanged, well performing sides…….. even 1-0 down to Dundee United, changes feck all, —->> wins 3-1.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:42 am

During the January transfer window, I would love to have seen maybe a couple of real quality defenders brought in rather than loads of strikers, we do need someone who will boss the defence to keep focused and working until the final whistle goes, we need another Mogga or Magilton type player to be captain and take the pressure off Sam Morsy.
Personally, I wouldn't have Edmundson in the team you can be assured he's always going to drop a bollock at some point during a game not good for team morale, Harry Clarke seems a bit more focused on his game and reads it well and has got a goal in him, the only other way is like when Joe Royle was boss, you score 3 and we'll score 4 which seems we haven't got this built-in mentality within our current squad, as Mike and others have stated you know dam well that in added on time we will gift a goal to the opposition, so let's see what magic solution K M can come up with against Sheff Wed a team we should have beaten at Hillsborough, we need some of that Vincent Kompany Burnley styles of play to have rubbed off on KM and our players.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:11 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:42 am
the only other way is like when Joe Royle was boss, you score 3 and we'll score 4 which seems we haven't got this built-in mentality within our current squad
I felt like the team had this at the start of the season, every time Town went behind or were pulled back level, I felt like they had another goal in them and they nearly always did. I hadn't felt like that with a Town team for 20 odd years, it felt alien! Now when they're ahead I have a little feeling of dread and when the other team pulls level, I'm almost convinced Town won't find another, and at current form, that's been proven correct time after time.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:23 pm

I think it’s defensive / midfield concentration levels dropping off. It’s definitely a psychological thing that needs sorting out coz it’s costing us dear this season.
But also, as I’ve said many times before, I don’t rate any of our CB’s . They’re not good enough …

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:45 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:23 pm
I think it’s defensive / midfield concentration levels dropping off. It’s definitely a psychological thing that needs sorting out coz it’s costing us dear this season.
But also, as I’ve said many times before, I don’t rate any of our CB’s . They’re not good enough …
Exactly this, and this is why I question why no CB was brought in in January, ours are all pretty unreliable and mostly junk.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:18 pm

Would really love to agree but just cant re what the issue is. Granted, my views are based on reports and stats but can only go on those and 5 - 6 min highlight reels each week.

1. There is no doubt at all that the defence is leaking. Especially under pressure. Blame should be pointed in that area.

2. Way too many games with well over 20 shots, 8,9, 10 on target, with a real poor return. Agree Freddie needs to be consistently played, definitely get that (rotation sucks)……. But the other, (not necessarily strikers) NOT scoring to ease pressure, (like Morecambe) is a major issue.

Misfiring has an effect on defence. Many could disagree with that…… can only speak for myself when i played until 18 years old. Mostly right wing but a lot of time @ RB……. It is effin soul destroying as a defender when people are having chance after chance after chance and failing. The morale drops.

So……….. for me…….. its equal. Yep, mistakes at the back, but for goodness sake……. Get the net bursting sorted. Jaysus H.

Re rotation……. No idea really and i doubt anyone truly knows. But could be anything at all that could be completely different to pointless tinkering. Could be ANYTHING….. 🤷‍♂️…. Carrying knocks, could be personal reasons…… literally anything.
I reckon if his rotation stuff gets to Lambo levels, then the inquisition should occur.

All opinion….. (well, not the being pissed off with strikers part 🤦‍♂️ :lol: ) ……… but this weekend is so big and will tell a lot. Wish i lived closer, i’d lap that up.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:23 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:40 pm
number 9 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:39 pm
Fleetwood win
SCOTTY SCOTTY …… SCOTTY SCOTTY!
I'm giving it all she's got, Captain!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:46 pm

Nathan Tella:
He said: “They were really, really tough to play against.

"For a team who’s in League One they’ve got so many habits of Championship teams and arguably they’re better than some of the teams we played against this season.

“Credit to them. they made it really difficult for us and I feel like they’ll do really well in the league for the rest of the season.”

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:50 pm

KM on match:
“We were going to get knocked out of the FA Cup at some point, it was unlikely that this was going to be our year to win it, so the way to do that for me is representing yourself and the club very, very well in terms of the performance going out to a very good team higher up the pyramid than us and showing that we can compete in a tie and we want to continue in the direction of the travel to be playing in this level of game more often.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:29 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:18 pm
Would really love to agree but just cant re what the issue is. Granted, my views are based on reports and stats but can only go on those and 5 - 6 min highlight reels each week.

1. There is no doubt at all that the defence is leaking. Especially under pressure. Blame should be pointed in that area.

2. Way too many games with well over 20 shots, 8,9, 10 on target, with a real poor return. Agree Freddie needs to be consistently played, definitely get that (rotation sucks)……. But the other, (not necessarily strikers) NOT scoring to ease pressure, (like Morecambe) is a major issue.

Misfiring has an effect on defence. Many could disagree with that…… can only speak for myself when i played until 18 years old. Mostly right wing but a lot of time @ RB……. It is effin soul destroying as a defender when people are having chance after chance after chance and failing. The morale drops.

So……….. for me…….. its equal. Yep, mistakes at the back, but for goodness sake……. Get the net bursting sorted. Jaysus H.

Re rotation……. No idea really and i doubt anyone truly knows. But could be anything at all that could be completely different to pointless tinkering. Could be ANYTHING….. 🤷‍♂️…. Carrying knocks, could be personal reasons…… literally anything.
I reckon if his rotation stuff gets to Lambo levels, then the inquisition should occur.

All opinion….. (well, not the being pissed off with strikers part 🤦‍♂️ :lol: ) ……… but this weekend is so big and will tell a lot. Wish i lived closer, i’d lap that up.
The thing is Marko, like Man City we do create numerous chances, on a good day City may score 3 or 4 and miss another 20, we miss loads too. Our nemesis is that teams against us score with sometimes 100% of the chances they create and it happens often, defence is definitely the problem.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:37 pm

While McKenna makes a fair assessment is saying we were not going to win it, if that's the prevailing attitude then what's the point of entering this or any other competition. I can't fault the team for creating two games where we really gave them a scare and so near to a very encouraging victory round but to lose out in additional time of a replay was hard to take. We would have most likely got past Fleetwood in Round Five and after that all things are or were possible but there's little sense in addressing the situation now the team won't be invoved. It's a shame but you can't dwell on these things. sh*t happens, you move on to the next objective.

people talk about certain voids in the team set-up. We got the attacking department largely covered, arguably one or two strikers that are surplus or not needed but any attack options are in abundance. Goal area seems good, Walton maybe blows hot and cold and Vaclav is a useful deputy and while defense and midfield seem to be not without it's problems it's an area of the squad some who don't get to witness the team week in week out remain sketchy. The Sheffield game coming up next will be of pivotal impotance, it's not winner takes all far from it, however this will have a major bearing on who finishes where by final game of season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:13 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:37 pm
While McKenna makes a fair assessment is saying we were not going to win it, if that's the prevailing attitude then what's the point of entering this or any other competition. I can't fault the team for creating two games where we really gave them a scare and so near to a very encouraging victory round but to lose out in additional time of a replay was hard to take. We would have most likely got past Fleetwood in Round Five and after that all things are or were possible but there's little sense in addressing the situation now the team won't be invoved. It's a shame but you can't dwell on these things. sh*t happens, you move on to the next objective.

people talk about certain voids in the team set-up. We got the attacking department largely covered, arguably one or two strikers that are surplus or not needed but any attack options are in abundance. Goal area seems good, Walton maybe blows hot and cold and Vaclav is a useful deputy and while defense and midfield seem to be not without it's problems it's an area of the squad some who don't get to witness the team week in week out remain sketchy. The Sheffield game coming up next will be of pivotal impotance, it's not winner takes all far from it, however this will have a major bearing on who finishes where by final game of season.
Well that may be another issue......, but no more firing blanks.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:18 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: