Auckland flooded after torrential rain - is Frosty ok?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Auckland flooded after torrential rain - is Frosty ok?

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:02 am

Just seen the devastation in Auckland NZ ! Three people dead and flooding due to torrential rain …

Hey Dave , you ok buddy?

Frosty
Forum Owner

Re: Auckland flooded after torrential rain - is Frosty ok?

Post by Frosty » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:18 am

Yeah, all good thanks Liz x

Set some new rainfall records , at least all my tanks are full now. Hard to believe a city with so many hills floods so badly.

Been clearing fallen trees and branches all day.

It’s actually Auckland anniversary tomorrow, which is a bit of a flop.

Edit - actually metservice has just announced a second front is hitting tonight so maybe update you tomorrow.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:36 am

Stay safe munchkin!

Suspect those flooded are at the bottom of those hills. Couldn’t believe how hilly it was in Auckland City when I was there in 2004. Quite spectacular scenery tbh …, I was notably unfit for the terrain (compared to relatively flat, non volcanic Suffolk !!) :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:50 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:36 am
Suspect those flooded are at the bottom of those hills.
Well, 🤔, either that or Sir Isaac Newton got it all wrong. :D

Hope this second weather front is less of an ordeal for everyone.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:12 pm

Marko NZ is upside down compared to us so maybe is running up hill ! 🤷‍♀️

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:44 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:12 pm
:D

And thank the sweet mother o Jaysus you're not a "flat earther".

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:55 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:12 pm
If it is Frosty is in for a shock, as I recall he lives pretty high up above Auckland.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:51 pm

I thought New Zealand is middle-earth? :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:42 pm

It IS!!! Lol South Island … filming of Lord o the Rings ( that’s what you meant isn’t it ) 👍 :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:55 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:42 pm
It IS!!! Lol South Island … filming of Lord o the Rings ( that’s what you meant isn’t it ) 👍 :D
Thank God someone got the reference! Dear oh dear, thanks hallam!

I’m from Sawfuck I speak slow and I’m opinionated lol!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:01 pm

Said this before, you can take a boy out of Suffolk but you can’t take Suffolk out of the boy.

What’s wrong with having a wee outside, then?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:52 pm

True story: Fell proper asleep during LOTR @ the Odeon...... Started dreaming about something, then something loud happened in the film, I feckin shat it out of the sleep and flipped a box popcorn everywhere. There was popcorn in the hair of the couple in front. I totally blamed the film for putting me to sleep.
Whispered, "Really sorry, buddy. Film's pish. Fell asleep."

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:51 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:52 pm
True story: Fell proper asleep during LOTR @ the Odeon...... Started dreaming about something, then something loud happened in the film, I feckin shat it out of the sleep and flipped a box popcorn everywhere. There was popcorn in the hair of the couple in front. I totally blamed the film for putting me to sleep.
Maybe Peter Jackson can make a satire called Bored of the Rings, especially for you Marko? :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:37 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:51 pm
marko69 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:52 pm
Maybe Peter Jackson can make a satire called Bored of the Rings, especially for you Marko? :lol:
:lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:45 pm

My wee cousin went to see a film years ago, (can't remember what film) ..... terrible film in his opinion......, and he zoned out. There was a part in the film where the screen went really bright, ----->> he says quite loud, "LINDA? Put the light off!" :lol:

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:24 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:51 pm
It is. And Auckland is Soggy Earth, a heretofore little known province. I'm out west Auckland and we've all developed webbed feet this summer.

It's pretty trashed out here, hellofa job getting in or out as loads of slips blocking roads, power off Friday arvo and Saturday still no power and no cold beer or wine in the fridge meant we had to venture out, no-one knew which way to go as every other road had Road Blocked signs and barriers up and it was still sheeting down, ended up at the Huapai Tavern for a feed and libation, waay out of our zone but the first place with lights on.

And more on the way tonight.

Some chatter about it being a result of the Tongan supervolcano eruption last year. This from Aussie Sky News news (hope you can view it): https://youtu.be/PDQ-EfqTViM

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:44 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:24 pm
number 9 wrote:
It is. And Auckland is Soggy Earth, a heretofore little known province. I'm out west Auckland and we've all developed webbed feet this summer.

It's pretty trashed out here, hellofa job getting in or out as loads of slips blocking roads, power off Friday arvo and Saturday still no power and no cold beer or wine in the fridge meant we had to venture out, no-one knew which way to go as every other road had Road Blocked signs and barriers up and it was still sheeting down, ended up at the Huapai Tavern for a feed and libation, waay out of our zone but the first place with lights on.

Some chatter about it being a result of the Tongan supervolcano eruption last year. This from Aussie Sky News news (hope you can view it): https://youtu.be/PDQ-EfqTViM
Yep that was from way last year. You think the eruption could cause this type of thing 10 months later? That is crazy stuff if true.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:47 pm

Frosty wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:18 am
Set some new rainfall records , at least all my tanks are full now. Hard to believe a city with so many hills floods so badly.
Yes mate, the poor buggers who live at the bottom of those hills getting hit with the flooding. And those at the top might find their front yard just disappeared.
Oh well, at least no-one had to listen to Elton John.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:52 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:44 pm
Mauswara wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:24 pm
number 9 wrote:

Yep that was from way last year. You think the eruption could cause this type of thing 10 months later? That is crazy stuff if true.
It was a bloody big bang Marko.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/tonga- ... ratosphere

"A Lasting Impression

Volcanic eruptions rarely inject much water into the stratosphere. In the 18 years that NASA has been taking measurements, only two other eruptions – the 2008 Kasatochi event in Alaska and the 2015 Calbuco eruption in Chile – sent appreciable amounts of water vapor to such high altitudes. But those were mere blips compared to the Tonga event, and the water vapor from both previous eruptions dissipated quickly. The excess water vapor injected by the Tonga volcano, on the other hand, could remain in the stratosphere for several years."

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:01 pm

Atmospheric rivers as the geniuses say. California now coming out of a 30 year drought, and now flooding and mudslides. I’m not sure humans are the cause of climate change…I mean have you looked at the sun lately? Don’t look too long! It is what it is. Just like ITFC being sh*t for 20+ years. You get on with business. Right Saint?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:19 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:52 pm
It was a bloody big bang Marko.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/tonga- ... ratosphere

"A Lasting Impression

Volcanic eruptions rarely inject much water into the stratosphere. In the 18 years that NASA has been taking measurements, only two other eruptions – the 2008 Kasatochi event in Alaska and the 2015 Calbuco eruption in Chile – sent appreciable amounts of water vapor to such high altitudes. But those were mere blips compared to the Tonga event, and the water vapor from both previous eruptions dissipated quickly. The excess water vapor injected by the Tonga volcano, on the other hand, could remain in the stratosphere for several years."
Unreal eh?

I used to live in Geelong, Australia and around 1980, I remember it rained for what seemed like a biblical amount of time (40 days, 40 nights :D ) Thinking back, maybe there were a few eruptions around that time.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:21 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:01 pm
Atmospheric rivers as the geniuses say. California now coming out of a 30 year drought, and now flooding and mudslides. I’m not sure humans are the cause of climate change…I mean have you looked at the sun lately? Don’t look too long! It is what it is. Just like ITFC being sh*t for 20+ years. You get on with business. Right Saint?
I haven't no. Is there still tits in it?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:55 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:21 pm
number 9 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:01 pm
I haven't no. Is there still tits in it?
Fair, but ignorant :lol:
Last edited by number 9 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:07 am

Yeah, sorry, thought i’d get straight to the point with it. Someone once asked, “Is there still page 3 in it?” ….. to which the sarcy reply was, “Naw, goes from page 2 to 4 ya nuggetheid.” 🤦‍♂️

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:55 pm

Well that's bought the flooding closer to home.

My wifes brother and sister in law lost their home last nite.

Thank god we have the ability to house them.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:24 pm

OMG Dave, I’m so sorry to hear this. What’s happening in NZ weather wise . Is it still raining or have the rivers just now burst their banks from previous rainfall?

Not sure what style of house you have but just about all housing in Christchurch (South Island), when I lived there, was single storey and wooden. There were some brick built house but it struck me at the time that a lot of homes were not, but didn’t get that impression in the North Island.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:37 pm

Deary me. Not good at all, Dave. Hope they were well insured and manage to get things all sorted fairly quickly.

Thank god we DO NOT have the ability to house my brother in law. I’d kill him after a week. Minimum.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:24 pm
OMG Dave, I’m so sorry to hear this. What’s happening in NZ weather wise . Is it still raining or have the rivers just now burst their banks from previous rainfall?

Not sure what style of house you have but just about all housing in Christchurch (South Island), when I lived there, was single storey and wooden. There were some brick built house but it struck me at the time that a lot of homes were not, but didn’t get that impression in the North Island.

Hey Liz,

They have a fairly new brick and wood house in Mount Eden. Heavy rain again last night and with the ground sodden and a lot of infrastructure already buggered, the water came down their driveway and filled up the house halfway to the ground floor roof. Only bedrooms/bathrooms upstairs so unliveable. they have already been told it will be red stickered and most likely bowled over.

Luckily we just bought a new place and haven't been able to sell the old house yet so they can use that while they get on their feet over the next few weeks.

In regards to the ChCh comment Liz (where I grew up by the way), since the major Earthquakes a lot of new builds are now brick. The wooden bungalow is a dying breed down there. Also, most apartment buildings are now at a maximum 4 levels for obvious reasons.

@Marko - no I couldn't live with them either :wink:

cheers Dave

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:53 pm

if you scroll down near the bottom of the article you can see what it has done to some of the more wealthy suburbs.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/300796 ... -aftermath

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:27 pm

Just reading about Cyclone Gabrielle. It's classified as the worst storm to hit NZ since 1990!

Frosty, I hope you and yours come through it safely and without damages. Take care, mate!