New manager

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

New manager

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:56 pm

Who should be our next manager?

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: New manager

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:05 pm

You.

First job……. Put a steel toe cap boot up a few strikers arses.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:06 pm

No idea but someone who can identify their best attack, best defence, have a plan B, be prepared to play a different formation when their chosen one isn't working, and someone who doesn't sign sicknotes, everything KM isn't.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:18 pm

Agree. KMs a tit…the players are tits…supporting ITFC is tits…if only I had the tits I like I’d be alright. Isn’t that a Who song? Whatever pissed off and disappointed once again.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:14 am

You can't suggest the idea that McKenna is unfit to manage the team. All right he irritates the absolute hell out of some (or many) with constant intransigent team selection/s that seem to only serve to hold us back and maybe he doesn't speak out as much as some would require, but fact of the matter being he's (been) the arguable best here going back to the mid-2000's, I mean, on a clear plateau above names such as Jewell, Keane, Lambert, Hurst etc (all right the latter isn't really much of a contest) but point being I think we've thus far had one of the most exciting and promising seasons in many a year.

A good Cup run just passed, held out well over two games against a top opposition, and on the verge of a promotion bid in the league, some what 4 games defeated out of 30, trying to say I can't quite advocate for the managers departure. He's not going to be fired is he, not a damn chance, so that only leaves walking away or accepting a position elsewhere. Which incidentally won't occur with what remains of this season.

Give it 5 games maybe. McKenna will field the same goddamn line-up/s, that much can't be doubted, but if the team were to rack up continuous non-victories / poor performance with it, then would feel more inclined to allow McKenna to seek employment elsewhere. Right now and at this moment, poor score today or otherwise, just feel he's done far more good than harm to the club name to actively pursue or encourage a campaign or idea to see the name replaced.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:33 am

I know its different…….. but i cannot help but compare jobs.

Back in the 90s for British Gas public sector, (when the gov said every OAP would have heating before the Millenium)…… i worked as a manager for heating teams. On contracts which took me to Bexleyheath in London, and an absolute shithole in Nottingham (where vans were being screwed) …… point is, if these guys being lumped together into squads were creating huge end of week snagging lists, i’d feckin change them……. Shuffle them about…… OR, get rid of them.

Could some of these engineers have been doing shyte jobs because they wanted me emptied?
(Don’t answer that!)

Question is, is Kieron McKenna the type of bloke that players would “down tools” against? Does he maybe not get respect because maybe he’s more “nice” than the Sean Dyche’s of the world who need to learn to talk again after 90mins?

BUT……… Number 9 does ask a good question. Not that i want KMcK out…..(not yet anyway) ….. but WHO do the owners & Mashton get in if KMcK is emptied?

Stuck the thread.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:59 am

Just to add…….. on the predicament of Hibs.
Currently have Liam Johnson in charge.
If he’s got a better football brain than Jack Ross, i’d be shocked.

Ross emptied then Shaun Maloney 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️, then LJ , 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

So yep……. Who next for ITFC?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:58 am

I think this post on another Town forum is spot on.

I actually feel really sorry for McKenna. Genuinely do believe he’s a really talented coach and has all the ability to go far in the game, but he’s struggling big time right now.

In the circumstances I think back to what the Cobbolds would have done and how they stuck with a young, inexperienced manager in Bobby Robson, who suffered four years of mediocrity before he finally got it right.

I know there are some fans who think we ought to act now and get an experienced manager in, but I’m not one. There comes a time when you need to trust the process and remember why he was hired in the first place - it wasn’t his experience!

I believe in McKenna. He’s got a lot to learn, but let’s get behind him and let him learn it here because if we don’t, I’m convinced he’ll be remembered as “the one that got away”.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:17 am

There could be some truth in that, however, I am more concerned with Gamechanger maybe getting pissed off if success isn't relatively quick and pulling out of the club.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:23 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:17 am
There could be some truth in that, however, I am more concerned with Gamechanger maybe getting pissed off if success isn't relatively quick and pulling out of the club.
That is why I said a few weeks back that I see this season (which I think we can forget about) and next being crucial for the club. If promotion is not secured next season then I fear the owners may very well start to question their investment in the club.
Anyhow, I’m off to do some sightseeing in Wells which I’m sure will be a far more enjoyable experience than the game last night.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:31 am

The thing is KMcK is NOVICE manager. He’s never managed at any level before coming to Town. This is Ashtons’ call! But as I said months ago if / when the brown stuff hits the fan, Mr Teflon won’t be seen or held accountable for dust.

But On to KMcK:

He’s a very good coach. If he can be criticised for anything it’s his overanalyse of “ the game”. He’s come from a backdrop of two big clubs where rotation of players is the norm. He has NO experience of level three football. But he’s analytical and reflects and therefore, hopefully, will learn. This is his FIRST season ever, as a manager . It was always going to be a tall order for him to achieve promotion in his first managerial job.

So trying to stand back from it all, we are going in the right direction. We will be in league one for another season of that I have no doubt. It’ll be interesting to see how he responds over the summer.

I’m his defence , he has lost practically the whole midfield to injury. Morsy is being run ragged as Humphries shows his young years. There is no one else to put in that midfield, and its ineffectiveness/ lightweight is showing.

I’m literally praying he tears up the defence in the summer and recruits some big hairy arsed defenders . We bloody need them!

I wonder if Ashton needs to consider getting in some experience alongside McKenna for next season?

Btw I’m totally writing off play offs this season. Even if we stay in top 6 our form / confidence is totally shot now. I’d say it’s between Bolton / Derby who goes up from that final. It won’t be us .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:48 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:58 am

I actually feel really sorry for McKenna. Genuinely do believe he’s a really talented coach and has all the ability to go far in the game, but he’s struggling big time right now.

In the circumstances I think back to what the Cobbolds would have done and how they stuck with a young, inexperienced manager in Bobby Robson, who suffered four years of mediocrity before he finally got it right.

I know there are some fans who think we ought to act now and get an experienced manager in, but I’m not one. There comes a time when you need to trust the process and remember why he was hired in the first place - it wasn’t his experience!

I believe in McKenna. He’s got a lot to learn, but let’s get behind him and let him learn it here because if we don’t, I’m convinced he’ll be remembered as “the one that got away”.
Yep. Firmly my view.

And firmly my view that some players need their arse kicked.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:00 am

I'm really at a loss to understand how it's Ashtons fault tbh, he's given the manager virtually everything he's asked for and more, that's really where the team side if his involvement ends. Let's not try and now exonerate KM from the fuckfest he has created with his ideas on how to set the team up with line ups tactics etc, its solely down to him I'm afraid.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:18 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:48 am
Charnwood wrote:

Yep. Firmly my view.

And firmly my view that some players need their arse kicked.
I agree totally. It would be folly to dispense with his services now. Things certainly need to change, but McK has not been wijth us long & should be allowed more time.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:31 pm

Charnwood wrote:

Ok... so the Robson fallow years has been extended from 2 to 4 years. How convenient. Doubt Robson didn't inherit nowhere near a comparatively strong team as McK did and have 3 transfer windows with the owners buying in 30 players- many being from the league above. SBR bought 13 players in 13 years. I really wish we wouls stop these SBR and Cobbolds comparisons. Those times have long since gone. Our owners now and the Cobbolds are totally different. McK has been given everything and just needs to look after the football side. Its been going backwards the last few months.
Stick with him to the end of the season, but if we can't see any improvements - we shouldn't give him anymore pensioners money to waste for next season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:47 pm

Sadly that's how I see it too

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:50 pm

I personally do not want to see a change, we all get frustrated at times when things are not going to plan and last night it came to a head, I think he is a great coach but he is new to the managerial role, I am sure in time he will become a good manager, he just needs to be open to trying different formations and styles. He also needs to get a little more vocal at them as they are letting us all down, I am maybe wrong but he just comes across to me as a little 'soft', and I do not mean that in a nasty way, he probably too nice to them.

It may all click into place soon, I hope so, he has till the end of the season to salvage something surely, the players also have a big role to play. How do you go from the performance we put in the other day to last nights fiasco? thats what I struggle to fathom out, especially with so much at risk.

Things are not out of reach yet but it is getting harder every time another game goes by and under-performing on a regular basis.

So boys, get your fingers out of your arses, put your toys back in your cots and get a bloody grip, we are with you but there is only so long before things turn.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:23 pm

Agree that I see no reason to change, of course he can and should be questioned and criticised, but no way do I want him gone.

Some nice posts from HB and Charny, that's my kind of attitude towards all this.

My one slight issue with him all along is his charisma and assertiveness. I hope he realises it's a huge part of the job and that he should spend as much time and effort improving those parts of his 'game' too. This is of course without knowing him personally, or having seen him work with players or deliver team talks etc. Perhaps it's not necessarily his job if he has those around him, but he is quite a calm and flat person, nothing wrong with that, but does it work in such an environment where you need to demand respect and occasionally light a fire under bums? And also on the flip side reward players with a beaming smile or praise occasionally, I don't see that either really.

What I do see however is a modern manager who is young enough to learn. There's the old conversation that goes a little like this:

Apprentice: "Sorry boss, I suppose you'll be firing me now after I flooder the building by installing the valve the wrong way?"
Boss: "Why on Earth would I fire you when you've just learned a huge lesson?! Why would I bring in a new apprentice who will make similar errors again from which you have just learned from?"

Lets see where we are at the end of the season.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:34 pm

I hope more than anyone that KM is able to turn things around. Unfortunately it's a results business, and even he gets us winning again if we don't get promoted this season the ownership will have serious questions about next season. I was fed up yesterday because I'm tired of sticking up for KM. If there's one thing he fails at, it's motivating the players. Of course they shouldn't need motivating with the amount of money they make, but that's reality isn't it??

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:38 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:00 am
I'm really at a loss to understand how it's Ashtons fault tbh, he's given the manager virtually everything he's asked for and more, that's really where the team side if his involvement ends. Let's not try and now exonerate KM from the fuckfest he has created with his ideas on how to set the team up with line ups tactics etc, its solely down to him I'm afraid.
If the recruitment is wrong in the first place then it is Ashtons fault isn’t it.

I’m not saying that’s the case btw, just that Ashton has had a part to play in where we are now. He identified, sourced and recruited McKenna. McK is a complete managerial novice. So essentially a big risk.

FWIW I think McKenna’s done ok in his first real managerial job. He’s on a very steep learning curve which might be why we see much squad rotation- who knows!

We’ll see how we go but I’m not expecting anything this season now . Am almost looking forward to next season for some reason to see what he does over the summer to the squad .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:45 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:23 pm
Apprentice: "Sorry boss, I suppose you'll be firing me now after I flooded the building by installing the valve the wrong way?"
Boss: "Aye, I will be ya useless wee TikTokin' bstd. GTF."
That's more accurate, Ricco.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:48 pm

What you seem to forget he has been a manager for just over a year. That is a lot different to Being a coach under a manager.Can any of you on here say in your first year in a new job everything went smoothly? Also KMck does not shoot, pass, head or tackle. Its the failure of individual players missing chances gifting goals and getting injured that has put us in this situation. The only thing I wish KMck would not do is rotate in form players. I believe we should back him and not call for him to be sacked.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:54 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:38 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:00 am
If the recruitment is wrong in the first place then it is Ashtons fault isn’t it.

I’m not saying that’s the case btw, just that Ashton has had a part to play in where we are now. He identified, sourced and recruited McKenna. McK is a complete managerial novice. So essentially a big risk.

FWIW I think McKenna’s done ok in his first real managerial job. He’s on a very steep learning curve which might be why we see much squad rotation- who knows!

We’ll see how we go but I’m not expecting anything this season now . Am almost looking forward to next season for some reason to see what he does over the summer to the squad .
I get what you are saying but surely it's KM telling Ashton who he wants, not the other way round. I think we have signed some real quality players for this level, a fair few of them would probably Grace the championship, signing them and enticing them here is down to Ashton for the most part, I actually think he's done his job superbly.

I've been fuming since 10pm last night tbh, slowly starting to calm down now and maybe our expectations have risen too quickly, perhaps we are expecting too much from KM too soon ? I do however believe failure to reach the play offs with what we have would be inexcusable, I mean Bolton, cash strapped and without a pot to p*ss in and Derby, under all sorts of embargoes a while back are ripping it up, makes the questions over what's going on here valid. I as much as anyone wants KM to succeed and like a hypocritical prat will be singing his bloody name Saturday afternoon, what a mad game this sodding sport is.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:09 pm

If the pressure cooker is not quite hissing yet @ Portman Road, then it will be come Saturday if Ipswich Town cannot win V FGR. Kieron's team-talk need only be;
"If you cannot win vs Forest Green Rovers @ Portman Road in front of 28K fans, then you all better look out the passwords for your saving accounts because you'll be getting fk all wages. Zip. Zero."
"You cannot do that. Its not legal."
"It should be made a crime, and therefore, illegal that YOU failed to score v Bristol Rovers. So, summing up. No win, no fee. Now get to fk out to the training park and start practicing for the 25 corners that'll no doubt get and fail at."

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:14 pm

This on the BBC Website by a Bristol City fan (Not Rovers)

"Ipswich fans be warned - your CEO is a fraud. Mark Ashton buys far too many players who aren’t the right fit for the club which causes the coach plenty of problems. He employs people who do what he says but aren’t fit for purpose. He’ll leave your club with a mountain of debt when things start to implode. His strategies are unsustainable. See what happened at Bristol City for the evidence."

Just posting purely for the benefit of amicable discussion.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:21 pm

Heard all this before Marko, I can only see positive stuff from him so far. This is the same Bristol fans that moaned about the owners too with demonstrations etc.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:18 pm

Yes, that was indeed all said back at the start but that was only from last night. Think it must've been a BrCity fan commenting on the BBC comments section. No doubt hoping it goes tits up due to his hatred for Mashton.

Going to post this here. It is Kierons post match chat after last nights Rovers clash. No doubt you've all seen it, but ---->> (Sincere apologies in advance; I do bang on too much)......, from 0:50 - 1:30 ----->> That is IT in a nutshell and he is accurately describing Hibernian in the Championship. It is so bloody difficult to break down when the opposition is playing "The name", frustrating is an understatement, ......., and IF people want to say, "Well the Boltons are doing it, the Sheffs, the Argyles" ---->> then for me THAT in itself is an understanding that KMcK is sticking to his side of the bargain......, because it is the players who ARE NOT doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0wbCHE3S0Q

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:32 pm

How to break down a team with 11 players in their own box: Either very cute quick passing moves (I don't think Town are consistently capable of that), or you send in cross after cross, aiming for the big man and either he sticks one in, or disrupts things enough to produce chances from a ball that drops to others hoovering up. The other thing that is important, don't leave yourself exposed to effing counters!

Now we were able to do that at the start of the year, so why not now? Teams are setting up just as defensively week in week out and we have the same players (could argue some better ones now too). Probably explains the acquisition of Hirst, I don't rate him other than being pretty tall.

I'll leave commenting on Ashton for another day, but it has to be said that if he wants plaudits for improvements around the club, then he has to accept responsibility and criticism when things don't happen on the park too. He hired the manager and oversees all the player signings.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:10 pm

Keiran McKenna should have learned a lesson at this point in the season on how to get out of this League 1, he or his scouts should have been looking at Plymouth, Sheff Wed, Derby, Bolton etc, and see what makes them tick and makes them win most weeks, the one thing that's glaringly obvious is to stop trying to pass your way out of defence and stop trying to walk the ball into the opponent's goal, this is league 1, not the premiership, he has to get our players fired up before and at halftime and work their socks off for the full 90 mins plus added time.

But I also think KM is being too nice to the squad he's trying to please everyone and that does not work, pick your strongest team and stick with it and stop keep making changes just for the sake of it, I don't think Kieran can be angry and give the hairdryer treatment he needs to stick two F**Ks into the none performers, if he appears too soft they the players will just walk over him.

How can the team selected against Burnley home and away perform with fire in their bellies and then up against p*ss-poor opposition just keel over and underperform, he needs to grow some bollocks and really stick some hard criticism at them, oh its all very well saying the players are really good at the training ground, oh yeh, well that's not good enough start bloody performing on the pitch and stop all this lacklustre performance and making the true home and travelling Ipswich fans really peed off with inept performances against poor opposition teams, so KM its time to tell them to roll up their sleeves and play for the club badge and the loyal fans, if not you will out end of this season and replaced with players who want to win every game.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:17 pm

I couldn't believe it when I first saw this thread title appear! :shock:

I can understand the need to question KM for the performances of late, however I am very much of the belief that managers should be given time and for me getting rid of Keiran is not even in question.

That said, I can understand why some are getting a bit on edge about it all, and this bit copied from some EADT analysis (regarding the last 15 games under KM) does give a level of credence to their views;

"For context, 21 points from 15 is fewer than previous managers Paul Cook (23) and Paul Lambert (22) took from their final 15 league games in charge."[/]

Certainly a bit of an eye opener.