New manager

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: New manager

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:40 pm

Exactly, it's been dire with much better resources and players than those flops had.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:09 pm

I really think we need to stick with him. When it all gels we'll be unstoppable. If we don't go up this season its not the end of the world but hopefully we will. That said, if we're still in League 1 next season we need to rip it up and have automatic promotion secured by Christmas!! The players need a kick up the arse and a good talking to though which I'd be more than happy to do!! We have to just get behind them for the rest of the season and see what happens. #ipswichtilidie

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:17 pm

Yes we need to stick with him for now, just help the players a bit too with some sodding continuity.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:40 pm

Totally agree. We should not be getting despondent. And I know it's very easy to go that route .we had a fantastic start .so good. We were planning out nxt seasons championship routes .and also wondering how much we will have to spare over third and other places ..well we have been put in our places .for sure and reality has bitten us on our asses . .it is what it is .its not so much that we are playing auful football..its the reality that other teams know too well. That if they go about playing their own game..we will run rings around them and win by a few goals .but in league one..it doesn't work that way ..a point to most teams is invaluable and like Gold its about survival in this league to most..so they set to disrupt .to target our best players .to throw us off kilter. And in doing so they know it frustrates us and management .it will not happen in championship .as vast majority are headed to Premier league and has the qualities to do so ..so we have to put up with this and try and cope with what is put in front of us...im still convinced we will get promoted. Via play Offs as we have a quality side....when allowed to play...the next 5 games..let's just see what happens .we could win all 5 .and maybe. Jst maybe. One of top 2.mite drop 4 points or more ..then with just 5 points of a gap ..and ten games to go ..it mite just get interesting. .so let's take one game at a time and not looking in to our crystal ball about. Who is going to be nxt manager ....we have a good manager and a nice fella as well..all behind our team now and management ..its now they really need us to.roar them on .and đź’Ż per cent support

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:08 pm

arana peligrosa wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:14 am
You can't suggest the idea that McKenna is unfit to manage the team. All right he irritates the absolute hell out of some (or many) with constant intransigent team selection/s that seem to only serve to hold us back and maybe he doesn't speak out as much as some would require, but fact of the matter being he's (been) the arguable best here going back to the mid-2000's, I mean, on a clear plateau above names such as Jewell, Keane, Lambert, Hurst etc (all right the latter isn't really much of a contest) but point being I think we've thus far had one of the most exciting and promising seasons in many a year.

A good Cup run just passed, held out well over two games against a top opposition, and on the verge of a promotion bid in the league, some what 4 games defeated out of 30, trying to say I can't quite advocate for the managers departure. He's not going to be fired is he, not a damn chance, so that only leaves walking away or accepting a position elsewhere. Which incidentally won't occur with what remains of this season.

Give it 5 games maybe. McKenna will field the same goddamn line-up/s, that much can't be doubted, but if the team were to rack up continuous non-victories / poor performance with it, then would feel more inclined to allow McKenna to seek employment elsewhere. Right now and at this moment, poor score today or otherwise, just feel he's done far more good than harm to the club name to actively pursue or encourage a campaign or idea to see the name replaced.
Nope he isn't the best since mid 2000s. That is Mick McCarthy who if he took Ipswich Town over in League One would have them up in a season, no ifs or buts.
With the backing of the current owners he'd also have the ability to get them to the Premiership.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:18 pm

Just be no bugger there to watch the borefest

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:17 pm

valleyroad wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:08 pm
Nope he isn't the best since mid 2000s. That is Mick McCarthy who if he took Ipswich Town over in League One would have them up in a season, no ifs or buts.
With the backing of the current owners he'd also have the ability to get them to the Premiership.
Sorry, but in my opinion that is complete bollocks. McCarthy would have spent the money on a bunch 37 year olds, played for a draw against Forest Green on the weeked and they'd finish in about 9th, with the tightest defence of course, but as Mike says, an average home attendance of about 7000! And it wouldn't be his fault.

The bloke's an arrogant waster, if he were that good he'd be in the Prem somewhere, not in some 1960s seaside hell hole with no wins from 5.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:25 pm

Ricco wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:17 pm
Sorry, but in my opinion that is complete bollocks. McCarthy would have spent the money on a bunch 37 year olds, played for a draw against Forest Green on the weeked and they'd finish in about 9th, with the tightest defence of course, but as Mike says, an average home attendance of about 7000! And it wouldn't be his fault.

The bloke's an arrogant waster, if he were that good he'd be in the Prem somewhere, not in some 1960s seaside hell hole with no wins from 5.
Never realised he was at Blackpool. Bet he keeps them up :D

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:31 pm

Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:25 pm

To be fair, if there is one thing he's good at, it's scrapping about for draws, which might be enough to keep them up! But I'll stand by opinion, I'll buy you a few pints if he keeps them up!!

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:51 pm

Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:31 pm

To be fair, if there is one thing he's good at, it's scrapping about for draws, which might be enough to keep them up! But I'll stand by opinion, I'll buy you a few pints if he keeps them up!!
Btw i think its great that you think my opinion is complete bollocks.🤣🤣

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:37 pm

Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:51 pm
Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:31 pm

Btw i think its great that you think my opinion is complete bollocks.🤣🤣
Glad to hear, I'm sure it's fairly obvious that you'd think the same of mine :lol:

I will never miss an opportunity to criticise McCarthy!

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:37 pm

barmy billy wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:18 am
marko69 wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:48 am
Charnwood wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:58 am
I think this post on another Town forum is spot on.

I actually feel really sorry for McKenna. Genuinely do believe he’s a really talented coach and has all the ability to go far in the game, but he’s struggling big time right now.

In the circumstances I think back to what the Cobbolds would have done and how they stuck with a young, inexperienced manager in Bobby Robson, who suffered four years of mediocrity before he finally got it right.

I know there are some fans who think we ought to act now and get an experienced manager in, but I’m not one. There comes a time when you need to trust the process and remember why he was hired in the first place - it wasn’t his experience!

I believe in McKenna. He’s got a lot to learn, but let’s get behind him and let him learn it here because if we don’t, I’m convinced he’ll be remembered as “the one that got away”.
Yep. Firmly my view.

And firmly my view that some players need their arse kicked.
I agree totally. It would be folly to dispense with his services now. Things certainly need to change, but McK has not been wijth us long & should be allowed more time.
One more voice in agreement here.

I'd be inclined to give the man much longer; if we don't go up this year it's gonna be a major disappointment but let's remember that he's done one year, his first in management. Yeah we're not ripping the league to pieces at the moment but what we are doing now is a hellofa lot better than where Cook left us.

When we took him on it was as a novice manager, one to nurture and to build a competitive outfit with, perhaps we shouldn't chuck the whole project out if (and it's still a big if) it doesn't work at the first attempt?

Must admit though I do though wonder a bit if KMc isn't more fitted to be the coach in a two-man Manager/Coach team. Time will tell, but only if we give him the time.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:41 pm

Thing is there’s not much managerial skill in sticking 11 men in and around your own penalty box and parking the bus, and being happy with a point (at home!!)…. Watching that every Saturday near drove me to chucking in my season ticket after 5/6 years of the same boring tactics.

I think there’s a misconception that McCarthy had no funding . He did. He just chose to bring in freebie journeymen on high wages ( that’s were the money went) most of them couldn’t give a flying one “ for the badge”, happy to take their last big pay cheque.

Our current squad appear different, in that they all appear invested in what the club are trying to do. The manager is trying to play the game the right way . It’s not quite there yet , and I’d say it’s not ideal playing total football in s division that requires some brawn, physicality and say gamesmanship. Would McCarthys “ real blokes” be better suited to league one? Probably , but not the championship.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:20 am

Far too soon to be looking to bin McKenna. With Man Unt background looks like Carrick would have been a better horse to back

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:55 am

Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:20 am
Far too soon to be looking to bin McKenna. With Man Unt background looks like Carrick would have been a better horse to back
I think Carrick’s style of play at Boro is almost the same as McKenna’s, the difference is Boro are competing at a different level which is another good reason to stick with Kieron rather than look for a short term “get us out of here” replacement with no longevity.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:02 am

Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:55 am
I think Carrick’s style of play at Boro is almost the same as McKenna’s, the difference is Boro are competing at a different level which is another good reason to stick with Kieron rather than look for a short term “get us out of here” replacement with no longevity.
So.... we're stuck. We've got a manager whos too good for us and this league and he'll be perfect for the levels above..... except he's very mediocre in this league and can't get us out of it.
Maybe we need to improve the quality of this league first until its good enough for us to compete properly. We don't half make things complicated for ourselves. Just get out of this league first before we worry about the league above. Pensioners cant wait long enough fot longevity planning.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:51 am

Tangfastic wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:02 am
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:55 am
So.... we're stuck. We've got a manager whos too good for us and this league and he'll be perfect for the levels above..... except he's very mediocre in this league and can't get us out of it.
Maybe we need to improve the quality of this league first until its good enough for us to compete properly. We don't half make things complicated for ourselves. Just get out of this league first before we worry about the league above. Pensioners cant wait long enough fot longevity planning.
I don’t think we’re stuck at all. I have enough confidence McKenna will have learned enough this season to get us promoted next season if it doesn’t happen this time. That said I’ve not given up this season yet as there’s no reason why this team shouldn’t find it’s early season form and go on a decent run at the back end of the season hitting the play offs on a high. McKenna has a contract until the end of 2024/25 which I quite expect to be fulfilled. In my opinion it would be a huge risk to replace him with someone who has to achieve 1st or 2nd place to be better.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:14 pm

A certain Team called Arsenal were 8 points clear of Man City and a very poor Man U were way behind just look at them both now, still time were not out of it yet.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:44 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:14 pm
A certain Team called Arsenal were 8 points clear of Man City and a very poor Man U were way behind just look at them both now, still time were not out of it yet.
True Cabanas.

Hopefully if its a decent 3 or 4-0 thumping of the Real FGR tomorrow, they take massive positives out of the game and use them for the following game. Since thumping Morecambe, its been draw draw draw. Many thought it’d be the turning point to major momentum. …… didn’t happen.

The “INTENT” starts tomorrow.

COYB’s

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:24 am

If you haven’t read this, you should…

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... n-thursday

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:17 am

Should have done that 10 games ago, for me actions speak louder than words, we get words off someone after every game.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:01 am

Yes, and as he says, they obviously analyse and have a meeting after every game, so nothing new there.

I have thought about winter pitches being part of the issue. They might look fine, but they have been very soft lately.

I remember a player at Bath rugby, Nick Abendanon, he was lightweight and nippy. In the winter he was completely useless, he couldn't get around defenders in the same way and would get smashed constantly. Yet come the summer and he would run rings around them and become the best player in the league.

A similar thing could happen to a lesser extent to Ipswich. A passing side will struggle on slower pitches, so perhaps Kieron needs to learn that, God forbid we are in league next year, but if we are, we need a more brute force approach in the winter months, more route one like everyone has been talking about.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:56 pm

hallamblue wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:41 pm

Thing is there’s not much managerial skill in sticking 11 men in and around your own penalty box and parking the bus, and being happy with a point (at home!!)…. Watching that every Saturday near drove me to chucking in my season ticket after 5/6 years of the same boring tactics.

I think there’s a misconception that McCarthy had no funding . He did. He just chose to bring in freebie journeymen on high wages ( that’s were the money went) most of them couldn’t give a flying one “ for the badge”, happy to take their last big pay cheque.

Our current squad appear different, in that they all appear invested in what the club are trying to do. The manager is trying to play the game the right way . It’s not quite there yet , and I’d say it’s not ideal playing total football in s division that requires some brawn, physicality and say gamesmanship. Would McCarthys “ real blokes” be better suited to league one? Probably , but not the championship.
Liz, So you wouldn't swap your current position back to those days of the play off position he got you to when all he was asked to do is keep you in the championship ?. who were the journey men you talk about, I thought they were on loan to help save your club by MM and Clipboard,
you had some quality players at your club under them.

Ipswich Town: the ÂŁ10,000 team pushing for the Premier League
Having spent only ÂŁ10,000 on his squad, it is remarkable that McCarthy has established a competitive force at Portman Road

Read More.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/fo ... ier-league

Word is that ÂŁ10,000 was barely enough to get Linda Evangelista out of bed let alone create a team that can challenge for promotion and a place in the Premier League, but that sum is all Mick McCarthy has spent on transfers at Ipswich over the past few seasons.

the last bit of the write up above he did, then it was up to your owners if you were to move on,

At his unveiling as Ipswich manager, McCarthy said: “The long-term ambition is to take the club back into the Premier League. It’s clear that the first priority is to get some confidence back into the team and start climbing the table.”

The table has been climbed and confidence is back. Now it is time for Ipswich to aim for that long-term goal.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:05 pm

goldandblack wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:56 pm
hallamblue wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:41 pm

Liz, So you wouldn't swap your current position back to those days of the play off position he got you to when all he was asked to do is keep you in the championship ?. who were the journey men you talk about, I thought they were on loan to help save your club by MM and Clipboard,
you had some quality players at your club under them.

Ipswich Town: the ÂŁ10,000 team pushing for the Premier League
Having spent only ÂŁ10,000 on his squad, it is remarkable that McCarthy has established a competitive force at Portman Road

Read More.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/fo ... ier-league

Word is that ÂŁ10,000 was barely enough to get Linda Evangelista out of bed let alone create a team that can challenge for promotion and a place in the Premier League, but that sum is all Mick McCarthy has spent on transfers at Ipswich over the past few seasons.

Reality doesn't seem to do well when MM is mentioned. Since the man left the club has dropped like a stone.
He was an outstanding coach at this club. He is miles ahead of McKenna as a manager and would have had a club the size of Ipswich out of League One with a fraction of the budget others have had.
Beggars belief reading the stuff said about him on here.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:14 pm

Fans are fickle at every club.Valleyroad

he put together one of the most entertaining teams I've seen at the Wolves in years with pennies compared to others,
Won the Championship, kept us in the Premier for 3 seasons on a shoestring, then the usual " I want it all now brigade" started on him and was sacked.
within a season we were where you are now, , fans are fickle aye ( not saying you are Liz although your heading that way LOL )

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:13 pm

Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:14 pm

he put together one of the most entertaining teams I've seen at the Wolves in years with pennies compared to others,
Won the Championship, kept us in the Premier for 3 seasons on a shoestring, then the usual " I want it all now brigade" started on him and was sacked.
within a season we were where you are now, , fans are fickle aye ( not saying you are Liz although your heading that way LOL )
The think that disappoints me is the lack of respect for the man and the abuse he recieves for the job he did. He is trashed as arrogant. From what i can see he was liked and regarded at every level of the club all the way down to tea lady.
Its hardly a surprise he reacted as he did in the end. Guess its a wider point on todays society

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:28 pm

Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:13 pm

The think that disappoints me is the lack of respect for the man and the abuse he recieves for the job he did. He is trashed as arrogant. From what i can see he was liked and regarded at every level of the club all the way down to tea lady.
Its hardly a surprise he reacted as he did in the end. Guess its a wider point on todays society
If I remember correctly I supported him until the end and didn't want him gone until he made his position untenable by confronting fans. Don't even blame him for that either, I'd reach the end of my tether at some, likely sooner!!

I've even positively remarked on his abilities as a manager, many times since. It was part of my issue with it all, his ability to get results with a crap team hid the fact the team was so crap! That's why I think his tenure was so damaging, because it allowed the woeful owner to get away we destroying the club for too long for it to recover and stay in the second division. I will happily however trash him as arrogant. He see's himself as a managing god and his actions at other positions and his comments towards Town since have been incredibly distasteful

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:46 pm

Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:28 pm

If I remember correctly I supported him until the end and didn't want him gone until he made his position untenable by confronting fans. Don't even blame him for that either, I'd reach the end of my tether at some, likely sooner!!

I've even positively remarked on his abilities as a manager, many times since. It was part of my issue with it all, his ability to get results with a crap team hid the fact the team was so crap! That's why I think his tenure was so damaging, because it allowed the woeful owner to get away we destroying the club for too long for it to recover and stay in the second division.

I will happily however trash him as arrogant. He see's himself as a managing god and his actions at other positions and his comments towards Town since have been incredibly distasteful

its more to do with him coming from Yorkshire than just being arrogant Ricco, "Say and do what they believe is right" not a bad thing to live by, and in the case of ALL football fans, " Give as good as you take" that thug Roy Keane got on the end of Micks beliefs and lost,
One of my best friends from Barnsley knew MM from his playing days their and said he was always straight to the point and not one to back down, but as honest as the day is long.
I will forever be thankful for what he did for us,

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:02 pm

Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:46 pm
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:28 pm

I've even positively remarked on his abilities as a manager, many times since. It was part of my issue with it all, his ability to get results with a crap team hid the fact the team was so crap! That's why I think his tenure was so damaging, because it allowed the woeful owner to get away we destroying the club for too long for it to recover and stay in the second division.

I will happily however trash him as arrogant. He see's himself as a managing god and his actions at other positions and his comments towards Town since have been incredibly distasteful

its more to do with him coming from Yorkshire than just being arrogant Ricco, "Say and do what they believe is right" not a bad thing to live by, and in the case of ALL football fans, " Give as good as you take" that thug Roy Keane got on the end of Micks beliefs and lost,
One of my best friends from Barnsley knew MM from his playing days their and said he was always straight to the point and not one to back down, but as honest as the day is long.
I will forever be thankful for what he did for us,
As will I towards George Burley, but he was an effing disaster everywhere he went afterwards :lol: And those fans are entitled to criticise the hell out of him, even if it would sadden me somewhat to see. That's football. MM and GB know that.

I respect that style of management, however if he were more honest with the owner or fans about the state of the club, then things may have changed for the better sooner, and the last 5 years or so may not have been so dire. In my opinion he kept quiet because his pay checks continued to roll in and he cared more about that than the club.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:11 pm

Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:02 pm
As will I towards George Burley, but he was an effing disaster everywhere he went afterwards :lol:
No he wasn’t. Was played 11, won 11 when he walked out on Hearts. Because Romanov wanted to be part of the match day squad choosing! Narcissistic tw@t loved the headlines GB was getting so he wanted some of the action.

Rightfully George said, “fk this sh*t, i’m off. Place stinks anyway!”

But he was flying……. Possibly fleein’ as well. He did enjoy a wee wine on occasion.