League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Forest Green Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Easiest 3 points of the season?

Town Win
86%
FGR Win
7%
Draw
7%

Total votes: 14

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Forest Green Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:11 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Forest Green Rovers Image

Saturday 18th February 2023– 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-match Thoughts Mike

Wow, where do you start ? Much has already been said by many following the latest poor showing by Town, Tuesday's visit to Bristol Rovers saw us dish up yet another insipid and uninspiring ninety minutes which in reality pretty much leaves our automatic promotion hopes in tatters, and it's barely even the middle of February. It would be easy to sit here and write another piece ripping into those responsible but I am not sure that is what any of us needs right now and it hardly makes for positive, enjoyable reading so I think all that needs to be said is that Town need to do Three things from here on it, start playing with the swagger which was so evident early season, show the fans that they still have the pride to play for our famous shirt, and probably most importantly, do everything in their power to keep the fans on board and keep hold of the unity that has been built up at the club over the last Eighteen months because to lose that is probably more damaging than failing to go up this time around.

As Kieran McKenna said post match, a draw at Bristol Rovers is not normally deemed a bad result but when you factor in their recent form and our recent poor run it felt very much like a terrible result for Town, we also cannot ignore the fact that not only was the result poor but the performance lacked anything close to what we have become accustomed to under Kieran McKenna. The third element in the scenario is the results on the night which saw Plymouth, Sheff Wed, Bolton & Barnsley all win while Derby fought back to share the spoils.

At the start of the season it was made very clear that our remit was to get promotion and of course that is still very much a possibility, nobody from the club said anything about top Two, just promotion so as such it is still very much game on and once in the dreaded play off's anything can, and often does happen, getting into them first is our main objective now because on current form we are going to struggle to do so, the good thing is we still have plenty of time to right the wrongs that are prevalent at present and to go into the end of season lottery in good form is key and often gleans success.

There are still certain issues that don't sit right with me regarding the gaffer but in the cold light of day he is a young rookie manager learning his trade, a fabulous coach does not turn you into a top manager overnight and perhaps we all lose sight of that at times, it's only just over a year into his career as a manager so it has to be said he ain't done bad considering the utter mess we were in when he arrived here, where Kieran suffers more than he maty have done elsewhere is the expectation at this club since the departure of Mr Evans, it has gone through the roof and we all get wrapped up in the hype, maybe, just maybe this season was a little bit too early and unrealistic ? That said we are good enough to still grab that third promotion spot and that has to be the aim.

The next match up see's us pitting our wits against the bottom club Forest Green Rovers who were always going to find life tough at this level for the first time in their very brief history and that has proved to be the case. Failure to win this really is not an option and whoever McKenna pulls out of the hat to start this one should be good enough to get the Three points, we can only take each game as it comes but they do not come any easier than the basement boys on your own patch, I fear what the reprisals will be should this one go belly up, it does not bode well for the unity and togetherness I spoke of earlier so we have to ensure it is not even an option, go out and get the job done !!

The ONLY way this season will end positively is if the fans stick with the team, I know Tuesday & Wednesday we were all spitting venom but how will it help to carry it on ? What will it achieve ? Let's all still believe and have faith in the process that the new ownership and manager believe so vehemently in, it may well pay massive dividends in the long run. So come on guys and gals, lets lift the roof off Portman Road and roar the boys to victory, they don't go out to lose or play badly, we still need to do our job as the Twelfth man and keep the faith. Town win 4-0, IPSWICH TIL I DIE. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Forest Green Rovers Honours

League Two

Champions: 2021–22

National League

Play-off winners: 2016–17

Southern League

Premier Division Champions: 1997–98
Southern Division Champions: 1996–97

FA Vase

Winners: 1981–82

Hellenic League

Champions: 1981–82

Gloucestershire Northern Senior League

Champions: 1937–38, 1949–50, 1950–51
Division Two Champions: 1955–56

The Manager – Duncan Ferguson

League Table

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

21 Jan Oxford Utd 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

24 Jan Ipswich Town 4 - 0 Morecambe

4 Feb Cambridge Utd 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

11 Feb Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Sheffield Wed

14 Feb Bristol Rovers 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

Forest Green Rovers

24 Jan Bolton 1 - 0 Forest Green

28 Jan Shrewsbury 2 - 1 Forest Green

4 Feb Forest Green 0 - 2 Peterborough

11 Feb Morecambe 1 - 1 Forest Green

14 Feb Forest Green 0 - 1 Charlton

Match Referee – Carl Brook

IPSWICH TOWN 2 FOREST GREEN ROVERS 0

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Forest Green Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:28 pm

1-1

11men plus the ref behind the ball again. No way through .
78% possession
94 shots - 1 on target
FG one attack in 85th min equaliser.

Copy n paste for the next 4 games.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:43 pm

The biggest worry for me is they’ve only conceded 7 goals in their last 5 games and Bolton could only score 1.

If Bolton could only score one what chance do we have. This must have 0-0 written all over if, or if we can get our gsme plan together 1-0 to Town.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:06 pm

Best preview of the season so far, Mike. They're all anticipated reads but I did like that one. Very matter of fact and also very level-headed after being so frustrated. Good stuff.

Meanwhile in Heaven.
-------------------------
SBR: "Who we playing this week, Brian?"
BC(lough) : "Looks like its Forest."
SBR: "Bit banter this week then, I did like our tussles."
BC: "Its not that Forest. Its the Green Rovers."
SBR: "Blimey, they've got to February in the cup?"
BC: "No. It's a League game."
SBR: ..........
BC: "You ok Bob?"
-------------------------

WAS confident........ but after Charnwoods post and Bolton only managing 1 goal against them. Jeezo. Go for a very edgy 1 or 2-0 win. Although after witnessing first half defending v SheffWed --->> could be 2-1.
A must have 3PTS game.

Big Dunc: "Come on you fat wee bstd ref, chop chop,...... keep up with play or I'll smash ye."
Ref: "Just for that, I think i'll walk slower!"

Edit to add. I do like FGR's badge. Little play on the Barca design. Superb.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:52 am

Been a long time since we were involved in a 9-0

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:50 am

Might be harder match than it would have been a few weeks back with Ferguson now in as manager.
Very interested to see how Ferguson progresses as a manager.
Anyway surely a win ?

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:30 am

I'll be back at PR tomorrow for this one, looking forward to getting to a game but feeling very delfated from these last 15 games.

I really feel we need to cut the rotation now, nobody should be overly tired as nobody has played every game. We have to be starting Ladapo and chaplin every game as they are both our top scorers, yes give the rest chance to impress from the bench and win a place in the future but right now go strong as you can every match.

Another very good Kings of Anglia epdisode (youtube/podcast) this week talking about the problems, and they high-lighted the rotation means a lack of any solid partnerships forming, and I'd agree with that.

One thing to note, I do like the fact we have the Harry Clark missile long throw as a weapon now, so many teams use that against us so its good if it's something we can now also add to our game.

FGB will be up for it, new manager and a stubbon team no doubt as they don't seem to leak too many goals. We just need to get some belief back, start to play much faster etc, like against Morcombe where we were VERY quick with our passing & movement and it blew them away. Since then we have gone back to being slow and predictable. If we can up the pace teams can't settle or stop us.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:42 am

Obviously we need a win to settle the unrest. Another poor performance will only add fuel to the fire. Let's show FG what we can do and win comfortably...please. :roll:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:37 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:30 am
I'll be back at PR tomorrow for this one, looking forward to getting to a game but feeling very delfated from these last 15 games.

I really feel we need to cut the rotation now, nobody should be overly tired as nobody has played every game. We have to be starting Ladapo and chaplin every game as they are both our top scorers, yes give the rest chance to impress from the bench and win a place in the future but right now go strong as you can every match.

Another very good Kings of Anglia epdisode (youtube/podcast) this week talking about the problems, and they high-lighted the rotation means a lack of any solid partnerships forming, and I'd agree with that.

One thing to note, I do like the fact we have the Harry Clark missile long throw as a weapon now, so many teams use that against us so its good if it's something we can now also add to our game.

FGB will be up for it, new manager and a stubbon team no doubt as they don't seem to leak too many goals. We just need to get some belief back, start to play much faster etc, like against Morcombe where we were VERY quick with our passing & movement and it blew them away. Since then we have gone back to being slow and predictable. If we can up the pace teams can't settle or stop us.

In my opinion rotation for the sake of it rarely works and even top managers like Pep and Arteta struggle to get it right as we’ve seen in the last week or so, Arteta resting the inform Ben White and his replacement Tomiyasu’s error costing them the opening goal v Man City on Wednesday night. Meanwhile when Pep rested De Bruyne at Tottenham, Man City simply didn’t function properly. I just don’t get it not playing the best players available and using the rest from the bench. Although we’ll never know I’m pretty certain that if we had at least our 9 best players starting week in and week out we’d be in a better position in the table than we are right now. I’d also add Broadhead to your strike force Shabba and Leif Davis, Lee Evans & Sam Morsy in midfield.
Actually it would be quite interesting to know who each of us think would be in our strongest line up. Maybe a topic for a new thread.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:40 pm

I'm just glad everyone is now cottoning on to this rotation crap,, I've been bemoaning it for weeks, surprised its took so long tbh.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:04 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:40 pm
I'm just glad everyone is now cottoning on to this rotation crap,, I've been bemoaning it for weeks, surprised its took so long tbh.

I think if you look back you’ll find I’ve held the same view forever, I’ve never liked it and never will. It makes no sense to me especially resting an in form player just to give another some game time. What I really don’t like about rotation is that it stops players building partnerships and understanding where they know where to find one another without even looking eg Son & Kane at Spurs and numerous others. Basically it’s sh*t especially at our current level.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:31 pm

Yes I know you shared the same view

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:05 pm

Doesn't rotate the starting formation all too often does he. Not sure why McKenna plays some names certain weeks than leaves them out the next, guess you can put it down to experimentation. There's got to be a certain method someplace.

Voted to win. Maybe we're inconsistent or don't take enough chances that come our way but the team at least should go through these particular opponents like a blow torch through hot butter. Can't see anythng else than a routine win and hell knows we need as many three pointers as able with all games remaining. After the trip to Bristol and disappointment with it, the team have to give something back.

you'll look back in May at fixtures like this and if the team WERE to finish two points outside the Top Six you'll think back and say hell the oppportunity was there to have done something that day and three points would have made all the difference. That's IF the team fails to win tomorrow naturally - which they won't.

Ipswich 4 FGR 0

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:02 pm

When your winning roation is great and works well, you keep the whole squad involved and fresh.

When you aren't winning the mentality needs to be 100% performance based, whoever is performing gets the shirt and then its upto the subs to try and do enough to steal it off them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:12 pm

Hasn't been that way under Mckenna, get MOTM or score goals and get dropped. Inexperienced management which has hurt us. Alternatively, play sh*te week after week in defence, midfield or in goal and keep your place regardless.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:42 pm

Problem is there’s no one that can come in in midfield or defence , I think that’s the main problem. So he can’t change players . All he can do is rotate ( defence), and not even that in midfield. Looks like Evans is out gif most if season now . We only have Luango likely to come in as don’t think Ball is ready. Defence? 🤷‍♀️

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:48 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:42 pm
Problem is there’s no one that can come in in midfield or defence , I think that’s the main problem. So he can’t change players . All he can do is rotate ( defence), and not even that in midfield. Looks like Evans is out gif most if season now . We only have Luango likely to come in as don’t think Ball is ready. Defence? 🤷‍♀️
Well 🤷‍♂️……. Defence has been very poor anyway, Hallam. (Really poor, esp v Weds) Can only get better.
Clean sheets until seasons end! 👍🙏

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:53 pm

Side note away from ITFC game.....

Noticed The Mighty Loons are playing in Bonnyrigg tomorrow; 3 miles from my sons house, (in Loanhead). We've cut down on Easter Road trips of late, but I did ask if he'd like to head over for The Loons v The Rose. He did say it'd be a decent & proper Scottish football match with no phoney-ness......, but he'd rather stick to the pool tournament we are heading to. I did try......., could've brought my first ever match report to the forum. :lol:

'Mon the Loons.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:17 pm

Bloody hell Marko get to Bonnyrigg, f*ck the pool

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:50 am

In all my years of following Town I never thought I would be saying a game against Forest Green Rovers would be huge but today certainly is. If we fail to get the 3 points then I doubt we will even make the top 6. Still got Bolton, Barnsley, Derby and Peterborough to play away and on current form can’t see us picking up many points against them.
Hate the term must win, but I do see today as one. COYB!

Town 2 Forest Green 1

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:58 am

DO IT FOR BOBBY

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:24 am

Would that be Crush, Knutt or Ball ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:02 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:17 pm
Bloody hell Marko get to Bonnyrigg, f*ck the pool
:lol: I did try, honest......, but to add to his decisive "no" ---->> It is tipping it down in Edinburgh today. The warmer pool hall has won the battle.

Treble for today...

IPSWICH
HIBS
FORFAR

Cheeky wee tenner........, and another cheeky wee fiver on Hibs ruining it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:06 pm

Forfar game postponed, waterlogged pitch

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:27 pm

:lol: Just saw that. Useless Bonnyrigg bstds. Hope the Loons fans didn't trek too far before heading back.

Don't know if there is any chat on other forums that you may frequent regarding Scottish league 2......, but the Rose shouldn't be in the league. Not a chance.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:28 pm

Back to IPSWICH TOWN FC

Any team news? Any tinkering?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:29 pm

Is the pope German !!!!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:03 pm

Hirst instead of Ladapo? Why?

Rodenbach Ex-pat

Post by Rodenbach Ex-pat » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:03 pm

No, Nick was born in Soham. 🤣🤣

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:09 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:03 pm
Hirst instead of Ladapo? Why?
Hopefully he starts the "hitting the back of the net" trend.