Sir Bobby Robson

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

AzzurroMark

Sir Bobby Robson

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:47 pm

Just realised that it would have been (Sir) Bobby Robson's 89th birthday today.

There is a piece in the EADT with a few photographs of him.
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... al-8699924

Always remember the only time i actually met him (see profile pic)! It was at a book signing at PR and i recall being 8th in the queue. I asked for a photograph of him, so he moved aside from the signing desk and stood beside me so it would make for a better picture. Perhaps a small gesture but one that meant the world to me!
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: The Great Man

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:53 pm

I’ve thought about Sir Bobby quite a few times today. I was lucky enough to spend a decent amount of time in his company both work related and social and on one occasion on the golf course. A perfect gentleman and a great professional.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:08 am

Was kind of expecting to encounter an item on Isambard Brunel, Edmund Hillary or Marconi until reading further. Didn't realize it were Robson's birth date, regrettably we invariably focus on the other end of the spectrum being date of passing.

Think it's true to say a number of our own fanbase choose to overlook Robson's other achievements here other than the requisite 1981 year or winning of the F.A. Cup.

1975 for one thing, where Robson assembled also a great team that came within very short distance of the League and Cup double or one or two years before it where we got recognition for fine end placings in the old First Division. 1982 for some reason doesn't seem to get the plaudits it deserves also where the club name once again finished runners-up and again real close to winning another top league championship. Seems somethng of a forgotten year with us even to our own fans, maybe because Robson took off that summer and grabbed the international scene. Do wonder sometimes what could have been had he stayed on for another season or two.

There's not enough hours in the day to discuss the individual, he were immense. Read the autobiographies and while easy to go astray once stories leave our own club (it's) due to the character and integrity of the man you stay with it. Recall treated like sh*t by Newcastle in his final season as a manager which was, and is, a real shame, but for all the stories, accomplishments and adventures before it he left behind a legacy that many can only dream of (and) to aspire to.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:29 am

SBR has been gone for so long it seems now, yet he would have been only 89yrs old even now…. Wonder what he’d make of things at PR these days…… hope he’d be happy .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:43 pm

He’d say, “Who the hell you trying to be my friend? Danny Dyer? Stop that nonsense right now!”
(Led to believe he didn’t use bad language)
So, “who ye tryin tae be ya d*ck? Danny Dyer? Feckin stop that BS right now!” probably wouldn’t have been said.

RIP SBR……., you’d DEFINITELY be astounded at 3 seasons in the 3rd division for sure.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:52 pm

What Sir Bobby would be impressed with is the age and pedigree of Kieron McKenna who became the second youngest manager ever appointed by Town, sitting in between Sir Alf & Sir Bobby with all three being age 35 when appointed.

Let’s hope Kieron can become the 3rd most successful, I think we’d all be happy with that.

AzzurroMark

Re: Sir Bobby Robson

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:56 am

Today would've been Sir Bobby's 90th birthday.

I see the club are doing a few things to mark the achievements of our greatest manager. This includes encouraging fans to wear retro shirts and playing a video tribute to the great man.

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2023/februa ... -birthday/

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:02 am

I guess this means a lot more to us fans who witnessed what he built and achieved at Portman Road. He will always live in my memory but I guess this means little to the current players and owners.

Happy heavenly Birthday Sir Bobby. Forever RIP 🌹

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:21 am

I loved the Robson years and growing up with the great teams that took apart the likes of Barcelona & St. Etienne, if only I had realised what we had back then instead of getting up on a Saturday morning and thinking "oh it's only Arsenal today, another easy Two points" And that is no exaggeration. Sir Bobby was indeed a Messiah, nothing remotely close to him in the world of Football today cus without the cash even the Pep Guardiola's of this world wouldn't lace his boots.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:38 am

I'll never forget being at a FA Cup match in the mid 70s at Portman Road when I was a kid. I think it may have been against Leeds, but I can't remember for sure. I do remember post-match though. Robson and squad appeared in the window of a suite in the corner of the stand. I'll always remember him & the players waving and smiling at the fans who stayed behind to cheer on the Super Blues. He indeed was the Messiah of ITFC and will always be remembered that way.

RIP Sir Bob!
I've never felt more like singing the Blues,
When Ipswich win and Norwich lose,
Oh Ipswich you've got me singing the blues

I've never felt more like dancing all night,
When Ipswich hit five,
That's alright,

The moon and stars always shine,
The super blues are fine, fine, fine,
There's nothing else I'd rather do,
Than spend my time with the super blues

I've never felt more like dancing all night,
When Ipswich is hit five that's all right,

The moon and stars always shine,
The super blues are fine, fine, fine,
There's nothing else I'd rather do,
Than spend my time with the super blues

I've never felt more like singing the Blues,
When Ipswich win and Norwich lose,

You've got me singing the blues,
You've got me singing the blues .........

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:03 pm

Legend 💙

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:09 pm

Wonder if any former players are at the game today to honor this anniversary. You'd suggest names straight away such as Wark, Brazil, (and) Butcher for instance. Robson didn't win the league with us, it's an aspect some would argue doesn't place him as best ever ahead of Ramsey but way I look at it, you got to include him as number 1. Really deserved better his treatment at Newcastle at the tail end of his managerial tenure but it's here he'll be remembered most vividly and with real affection. Do feel sorry in a sense for kids of today who missed it or don't realize quite what an impact he had on the club name and the direction it took us. He was - and still is - immense.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:37 am

Breaking my hiatus on this board purely to pay my respects to Sir Bobby.

Without doubt, the best manager Ipswich ever had, and probably the best English manager ever.
What he achieved here on a very limited budget was nothing short of sensational, and I don't think we'll ever see the like of it again.

I feel privileged to have been alive during the Robson years and witnessing our great club being one of the top 2 teams in the League - the only trouble with that is the decline we have had ever since is still difficult to accept for those of us who lived through those years. RIP Sir Bobby

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:57 am

Met Sir Bobby on a couple of occasions and as has already been said a fantastic manager and a real gentleman.
The one thing I regret from his time as manager at ITFC is I took what he was achieving here as the norm. Qualifying for Europe seemed a given each year, looking back now to do it 9 years out of 10 was a unbelievable achievement given the size of our club. As they say often you don’t appreciate things until you no longer have them.
Thank you Sir Bobby for everything you did for our great club and I feel that I am very lucky to have followed Town during this time. RIP