Freddie Ladapo

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Freddie Ladapo

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:42 pm

Ok, not gonna lie, I find it somewhat perplexing regarding some of the negativity which surrounds our Freddie, so much so I've been looking at the relevant stats for the top dozen scorers in League One, for me these stats make it even more bizarre to continually give the guy a hard time.

Goals.
Clarke-Harris 16
Collins 14
Chaplin 14
Charles 14
McGoldrick 13
Brown 12
Bishop 12
Nombe 11
Smith 11
Ladapo 11
Adeboyejo 11
Hardie 11

Goals per 90 mins
McGoldrick 0.75
Hardie 0 61
Chaplin 0.58
Ladapo 0.57
Charles 0.57
Clarke-Harris 0.56
Smith 0.51
Brown 0.50
Collins 0.45
Nombe 0.44
Bishop 0.43
Adeboyejo 0.42

Mins per Goal
McGoldrick 120
Hardie 149
Chaplin 154
Ladapo 158
Charles 158
Clarke-Harris 160
Smith 177
Brown 179
Collins 202
Nombe 205
Bishop 210
Adeboyejo 214

Total Shots
Clarke-Harris 75
Collins 60
Ladapo 54
Chaplin 54
McGoldrick 52
Charles 50
Smith 48
Hardie 45
Nombe 44
Adeboyejo 38
Bishop 37
Brown 34

Goal conversion
Brown 35%
Bishop 32%
Adeboyejo 29%
Charles 28%
Chaplin 26%
McGoldrick 25%
Nombe 25%
Hardie 24%
Smith 23%
Collins 23%
Clarke-Harris 21%
Ladapo 20%

Shot Accuracy
Bishop 68%
Ladapo 67%
McGoldrick 65%
Chaplin 61%
Collins 60%
Smith 58%
Hardie 56%
Charles 56%
Adeboyejo 55%
Brown 53%
Clarke-Harris 52%
Nombe 48%

I think those stats are pretty impressive tbh, yes 20% Accuracy is the lowest of the 12 but look where leading scorer Clarke-Harris finishes in that stat, our Freddie finishes in the Top four in every other stat, almost top of the most accurate is pretty impressive too.

Not gonna lie these figures are even better than I expected, so in a nutshell, to all you anti Ladapo tossers :wink: you don't know wtf you're on about :lol:

All joking aside, was bored in my lunch break.

Cabanas Blue

Re: Freddie Ladapo

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:57 pm

Nice one Mike, I was only just thinking he's not had the minutes on the pitch if he had im sure he would have scored even more, I've always liked him at the moment he's so much better than Hirst and Freddie should start every game IMO, also I can't see Tyreece John- Jules getting much if any game time when he is fit enough.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:47 pm

Yeah, but can he do it on a cold rainy night in stoke?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:33 pm

The stats suggest as much chance as most.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:33 pm
The stats suggest as much chance as most.
I never was a big believer in stats :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:48 pm

Just so I understand……. The “shot accuracy” is basically his shots that were on target? —->> 67%

Thats 2nd top in that table behind Bishop? What the feck is happening? Is he hitting or heading them straight at the keeper? Jaysus H.
To have 67% shot accuracy (2nd top) but be bottom of goals converted……… he needs extended training sessions ffs.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:53 pm

No, it suggests to much bollox is being spouted in his direction, bordering on obsession :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:01 pm

No no, thats not acceptable really innit?? :lol:

Bishop leads that accuracy table and second top in conversion? Freddie is bottom.

That must mean he either needs to get rid of his 50pence heid or start aiming differently.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:37 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:48 pm
Just so I understand……. The “shot accuracy” is basically his shots that were on target? —->> 67%

Thats 2nd top in that table behind Bishop? What the feck is happening? Is he hitting or heading them straight at the keeper? Jaysus H.
To have 67% shot accuracy (2nd top) but be bottom of goals converted……… he needs extended training sessions ffs.
You jest Marko but, In added time on Saturday v FGR he managed to head the ball wide of the keepers left post from 3 yards out from smack in the middle of goal with only the keeper to beat, fortunately we were 4-0 up so it didn’t matter.

However here’s one of my first half comments in play on Tuesday Night v Bristol Rovers when it was important…..

“Ladapo’s last shot hit the corner flag and went out for a throw in ! How the f*ck can you hit the corner flag with a shot on goal”.
.. that was from about 12 yards out level with the goal post.

All said Marko he’s not the only culprit, it’s endemic throughout the team and on its own contributes significantly to our dropped points.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:50 pm

I've seen the best players in the world do that Andy, it means nothing. As for missing open goal header, of course it was a shocking miss but I didn’t see any of our other strikers getting into those positions to head them in the first place.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:01 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:37 pm
marko69 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:48 pm

You jest Marko
but, In added time on Saturday v FGR he managed to head the ball wide of the keepers left post from 3 yards out from smack in the middle of goal with only the keeper to beat, fortunately we were 4-0 up so it didn’t matter.

However here’s one of my first half comments in play on Tuesday Night v Bristol Rovers when it was important…..

“Ladapo’s last shot hit the corner flag and went out for a throw in ! How the f*ck can you hit the corner flag with a shot on goal”.
.. that was from about 12 yards out level with the goal post.

All said Marko he’s not the only culprit, it’s endemic throughout the team and on its own contributes significantly to our dropped points.
Hand on heart,....., I wish I was.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:50 pm
I've seen the best players in the world do that Andy, it means nothing. As for missing open goal header, of course it was a shocking miss but I didn’t see any of our other strikers getting into those positions to head them in the first place.
This is no doubt true, and without berating the guy at all, he cannot be bottom of the conversion list with high on target accuracy. I mean what you say is actually a positive, and with the correct "striker coach", he could arguably be the League One Harry Kane.

When I see him in highlight reels, he always looks borderline half-arsed. If he could maybe lose a bit of the lethargy....., he could be a hell of a lot more lethal than the level you currently have him at.

I will delete all my Ladapo posts if he scores a couple and has one assist V MKD.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:50 pm
The difference is Mike the best players in the world do it a handful of times in a season and some hardly at all but our boys do it quite a few times every game, and as I said it isn’t just Freddie it’s pretty much all of them which is why we need so many shots, and shots on target for each goal scored, I’d guess double that of our closest rivals.

I’ve now been beating the drum for more shooting practice for weeks because our boys don’t instinctively know where the goal is, and don’t look up to check their spot before they shoot. They almost soot blind fold.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:34 pm

Supporters have criticised Chaplin at points this season and he's had 17 goal involvements (14 goals 3 assists) in the league to Ladapo's 12 (11 goals 1 assist). So I'm sure all this complaining is just what us footie 'supporters' are like.

His stats do look a touch better than I thought they would Mike and I think he's had a decent 6/10 possibly 7/10 season, find a tiny bit more form and I'll happily make that a solid 7. The fact he rarely (if ever) gets 90 mins does him an injustice, I always thought it harsh to take strikers off. But he hasn't blown anyone's socks off and there's nothing supporters like more than having a goal scorer getting bag loads. And combine that with silly expectations... you get disappointment.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:08 pm

I’ve got to ask the question . WHO exactly is giving Freddie a hard time?

I was far from impressed with him when he first came he. The number of open barn door misses he made at the start of the season was very frustrating to say the least . He’s not the quickest . Abd to be just didn’t really “ look all that ….”

But as McKenna and the player himself said it’s been a steep learning curve . But over recent weeks he has started to look a different player. He’s still not the quickest at closing down the keeper / defender but his physical hold up play when battling with the CB is becoming a fight to behold , and he works hard for the team. He’s scoring goals ( but still misses absolute sitters when it seems easier to tap it in). I accept him as a good striker in a certain mould . Is he my favourite striker? No. But then I don’t actually think I’ve hit one because they all seem different.

I don’t get this “ competition” for who should and shouldn’t be in the side. McKenna clearly rotates his front men . He has his reasons for doing that. But I don’t think it’s based on having a favourite. It could be to do with giving players mins on pitch snd mins off to rest the legs …. It could be which combination might work best against that week’s opponents, it might be to keep the opposition guessing. I honestly don’t know.

But he’s not sitting there thinking like the fan base. Of that, I am sure!

In the January window . Fans were baying for a striker(s) that could put the ball in the net. Why? Because we weren’t taking our chances . EVERYONE was saying this. But some were also saying we can’t defend. I was in the “ we need defenders camp ( and still am). We bring in 2 strikers , 1 defender. All three players bring something new to the squad . Different options. Different combinations, a variety to spring on our opponents.

Any player coming into the club in January had a big task ( especially if they haven’t been playing much at their previous club) . All of the bevies are having to adapt to our way of playing. McKenna himself has said this week, this takes time to adjust. So if we were being asked to make allowances for this who joined in the summer , then surely it’s right to give the newbies joining in January so time too. They, however have less time to adjust than those who joined in the summer and had a pre season. So I’d say that would be harder on the Jan recruits.

We have mini “ squads” for the defence, midfield, and attack . The defensive one is weak in my view. The midfield one is shot away with injuries and the attacking one is strong. McKenna is utilising these mini squads (he can’t the midfield one as we’re down to the bare bones), but the defensive and attacking “ squads” he is utilising as he sees fit game by game. We might not like HIS choices snd he’ll be judged at the end of the season. Fans will always have their favourites . We all do. But please let’s get away from this fan vendetta theory against certain players. The Club / manager definitely don’t have one, and I’m not honestly convinced a great many fans do either.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:32 pm

Liz, you need to look back at what has been said and directed at him all season, some change with the wind and some have nothing good to say about him, if you want me to find all the negative and unwarranted comments I will happily do so, you'll be very surprised. I don't see too many others getting the utter sh*te aimed at them that he gets tbh, because I find it grossly unfair I think it only right to counter it with some positivity for the guy. If people don't agree with it they don't have to get involved in the thread.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:27 pm

I’m not really sure if it’s relevant whether or not you’re for or against Freddie. At the end of the day, you try to win games with the whole squad. I was critical of Ladapo cuz he wasn’t scoring consistently. I was very happy with the acquisition of Broadhead and I felt Hirsts addition with championship experience was the right move. Does that mean we’ll see improvement immediately, no. Like I said, I’ll reassess the automatic picture after the MK Dons match. I really don’t see us going on an unbeatable run though. If forward players take their chances and score, it relieves the burden of conceding by our defenders. More goals, less pressure. It’s not rocket science folks!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:32 pm

As I said on my Strongest Line Up thread I’d have Freddie in my starting line up every game as long as he was fit. However that doesn’t mean he can’t improve. In my opinion if he could improve his conversion rate of goals to Shots to become only marginally better than average he would be the Top Scorer in League, and those extra goals scored in the right games could be the difference in Town being 3rd or 1st.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:09 am

I just get quite sensitive about it tbh, especially when in my opinion it is the crap defence which has cost us numerous points, we are still right up there in the goals scored category.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:49 pm

While I'm not convinced by our Freddy, I will make a couple of points about how I see him.
1. His high accuracy is probably helped by the fact that many of his shots are from close to goal. That isn't a criticism, it is a positive that we have a striker who gets in the 6 yard box regularly.
2. His miss at the end on Saturday wasn't great, but if he had headed it straight at the keeper it still wouldn't have gone in but would have been an attempt on target. Watch it back and you will see that as he was close to the keeper he was trying to tuck it inside the post. OK, it went just wide but you can see he was trying to put it out of the keeper's reach. That's no worse than heading it straight at the keeper.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:15 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:49 pm
While I'm not convinced by our Freddy, I will make a couple of points about how I see him.
1. His high accuracy is probably helped by the fact that many of his shots are from close to goal. That isn't a criticism, it is a positive that we have a striker who gets in the 6 yard box regularly.
2. His miss at the end on Saturday wasn't great, but if he had headed it straight at the keeper it still wouldn't have gone in but would have been an attempt on target. Watch it back and you will see that as he was close to the keeper he was trying to tuck it inside the post. OK, it went just wide but you can see he was trying to put it out of the keeper's reach. That's no worse than heading it straight at the keeper.
Well correct me if I’m wrong, but shouldn’t the target be the back of the net? Freddie’s fine, he’s ok. Is our defense to blame for our proverbial blip? I dunno, but too many 1-1s against lower teams won’t get you promoted. Freddie’s not the main problem, but he needed help. He’s got help now. I still believe Ashton must have attempted to get defensive reinforcements, regardless of Ricco thinks (love you Ricco!). However, our Achilles heel against lower teams has been not scoring more goals…a trait SW & PA don’t seem to have a problem with. Am I right?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:34 am

Made a good topic of conversation at least.