League 1 - MK Dons vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Carry on the form from the FGR Fixture?

Dons Win
11%
Town Win
74%
Draw
16%

Total votes: 19

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - MK Dons vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:54 am

ImageMK Dons v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 25th February 2023 – 15:00

Stadium mk

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Last Saturday's resounding victory over basement boys Forest Green Rovers was about as comfortable as it gets and in truth it could well have been double the final score by the time the Referee blew the full time whistle. It made for a much better weekend for us Tractor Boy's and girls after a few difficult, and dare I say it disappointing weeks, Cambridge & Bristol Rovers in particular spring to mind. Not only was the result good but the performance too had more of what we have come to expect about it, yes we have to take the level of opposition into account but we definitely played with more flair and swagger than of late, the icing on the cake was results elsewhere going in our favour for a change with Plymouth in particular slipping up when they were not expecting to do so.

The gap to the top Two is still sizeable but Eight points is not impossible, especially when one looks at our next Four Fixtures compared with that of Plymouth, while it seldom pans out the way we all expect I know which set of fixtures I prefer so it could just be possible that in Four games time things are looking much more promising, all we can do is take it One game at a time and ensure we have no more off days, something which has happened too often of late.

I think a few players really stood out against FGR, Conor Chaplin obviously stole the show with his Two goals, while Nathan Broadhead, Sam Morsy and Leif Davis can also be very pleased with their efforts, not forgetting kayden Jackson who came off the bench to put in a very decent cameo performance with some excellent balls into the box from which we could have capitalised more on. Another big plus for me was the clean sheet, that makes it two on the bounce and confidence grows although i never feel completely at ease with our rearguard and again we managed to carve out a few iffy moments when it was completely avoidable but all in all we didn't do badly.

One thing that was very evident to me and many others was the muted atmosphere within the stadium, almost throughout the whole game it never really reached the heights that we are used to, rumours abound as to why the Blue Action lot were so subdued and time will tell if that blows over but it definitely had a detrimental effect on the noise levels within the stadium.

I cannot emphasise enough the importance of backing up the Forest Green win with another at Stadium MK, it is essential we come home with another Three points because without taking things for granted we then follow that up with home games against Burton Albion & Accrington Stanley which really does afford us the opportunity to finally string a few wins together and in truth if there is any seriousness about us getting back into the automatic promotion race then these games have to be won, I know they are not easy games and we have no divine right to expect to win them but I do feel we have had our fair share of disappointing slip up's so now is the time to right some wrongs. Being backed by close on Seven Thousand fans will surely give the players a massive lift as it will feel like a home game, I for One am really looking forward to the atmosphere, I just hope the efforts on the pitch match those off it.

Trying to second guess what personnel Kieran Mckenna goes with is fruitless as I doubt he even knows until the nearer the weekend but what I do hope is that we pick players in form and that means Chaplin has to start above anyone else, we are without question a much better team with Chaplin in it, in fact I hope there are very few changes to the starting line up, whoever any of us believes should or shouldn't play is secondary to keeping it settled but for me there is a hardcore Seven players that need to be in there regardless, it seldom happens.

My prediction is for a Town win to keep the momentum going, MK Dons have lost Nineteen times already this season which is only beaten in terms of defeats by Forest Green, a terrible recent run of results has seen them drop into the relegation places and their last two games have seen them concede five on both occasions with Sheff wed & Bolton Wanderers both taking them apart, while I doubt very much we will even come close to matching that I do expect a good win with a couple of goals advantage. So it's a Town win for me and dare i hope for another Plymouth slip up at Peterborough utd who are fighting to keep their play off aspirations alive, it could just happen !!! COYB'S

The Opposition – MK Dons Honours

League

Football League One

Runners-up: 2014–15

Football League Two / EFL League Two

Champions: 2007–08
Third-place (promotion): 2018–19

Cup

Football League Trophy

Winners: 2007–08

Berks & Bucks Senior Cup

Winners: 2006–07
Runners-up: 2005–06, 2017–18

Portimão Cup

Winners: 2004

The Manager – Mark Jackson

League Table

Form Guide

MK Dons

28 Jan Milton Keynes 0 - 2 Exeter City

4 Feb Bristol Rovers 0 - 2 Milton Keynes

11 Feb Milton Keynes 1 - 1 Oxford Utd

14 Feb Bolton 5 - 0 Milton Keynes

18 Feb Sheffield Wed 5 - 2 Milton Keynes

Ipswich Town

24 Jan Ipswich Town 4 - 0 Morecambe

4 Feb Cambridge Utd 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

11 Feb Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Sheffield Wed

14 Feb Bristol Rovers 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

18 Feb Ipswich Town 4 - 0 Forest Green

Head to Head

Match referee – Rebecca Welch

MK DONS 0 IPSWICH TOWN 2

Tangfastic

Re: League 1 - MK Dons vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:32 am

Great. Our first trans ref. About time.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:08 am

que the private messages to mods: “I’M OFFENDED!” :lol:

I suppose we’ve heard of chicks with d*cks……. Well this is true here…….. no, not her…….. she’s a chick on a field with 22 overpaid d*cks.

Nice preview , and an eye opener to the part about 7 core players but KMcK seldom keeps the core?? Is that right? I knew he was mixing it up but didn’t think (in league games) he was changing things as much. I suppose that backs up several fans opinions of finding your best 11 and sticking with them. Having said that…… the example i used last week (Robbie Neilson) played his trusted & very capable side v Motherwell last Sunday and was comprehensively humped. Only a 2-0, but should’ve been more. They were shyte.
Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to the soccer!

Ref: “Yes Mark? Issue with my decision?”
Mark Jackson: (thinks: nope. Say nothing)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:13 am

I think in fairness the 7 core players bit isn't helped by injuries at times either, but yes we tend to swap and switch everyone except Walton, Morsy and Burns at some time or another, and of course we all have our own ideas of who should start lol.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:22 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:32 am
Great. Our first trans ref. About time.
Maybe it’s been a long day at work for me Tang, but I cannot stop laughing at your post

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:49 am

Town playing against a struggling side in front of nearly 7,000 travelling fans. What could go wrong? :wink:

MK Dons 1 Town 1

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:02 am

Ive gone for a win and they better had because I’ll be there along with Mike :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:03 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:13 am
I think in fairness the 7 core players bit isn't helped by injuries at times either, but yes we tend to swap and switch everyone except Walton, Morsy and Burns at some time or another, and of course we all have our own ideas of who should start lol.
Apparently Camara and TJJ are both back in full training and not far off a return . Ball is a few weeks behind them.

We desperately need midfield reinforcements do hopefully they’ll be back in the squad soon.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:16 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:02 am
Ive gone for a win and they better had because I’ll be there along with Mike :lol:
So will I, that’s the win gone out of the window! :lol: Some of the away games I’ve been to this season include Charlton, Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol Rovers. I mean anybody would think I’m a jinx. :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:31 pm

Sarina Wiegman on the state of Stadium MK's pitch:
England Women boss Sarina Wiegman was less than complimentary despite leading her side to victory over South Korea at the stadium last week, describing the surface as ‘unacceptable’.

“In this very hard pitch, it was a horrible pitch. I think that’s even harder to keep up the speed, sometimes the ball bounced on several occasions. So I think we did really well.”
I hope KM comes with a plan B if the tippy tappy football goes sour on the shyte pitch...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:42 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:03 am
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:13 am
Apparently Camara and TJJ are both back in full training and not far off a return . Ball is a few weeks behind them.

We desperately need midfield reinforcements do hopefully they’ll be back in the squad soon.
A bit like some of the thru passes from midfield.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:23 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:31 pm
Sarina Wiegman on the state of Stadium MK's pitch:
England Women boss Sarina Wiegman was less than complimentary despite leading her side to victory over South Korea at the stadium last week, describing the surface as ‘unacceptable’.

“In this very hard pitch, it was a horrible pitch. I think that’s even harder to keep up the speed, sometimes the ball bounced on several occasions. So I think we did really well.”
I hope KM comes with a plan B if the tippy tappy football goes sour on the shyte pitch...
That'll be a first.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:30 pm

If we have any ambition left to revive our season we simply cannot afford to drop points to teams in thd relegation zone.

My only worry after reading the Preview is they managed to win 0-2 at Bristol Rovers only ten days before we went there and failed to score.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:33 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:16 am
hallamblue wrote:
So will I, that’s the win gone out of the window! :lol: Some of the away games I’ve been to this season include Charlton, Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol Rovers. I mean anybody would think I’m a jinx. :lol:
Well you can bugger right off on Saturday then! :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:05 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:33 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:16 am
hallamblue wrote:
Well you can bugger right off on Saturday then! :lol:
:lol: :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:12 pm

Don't even recall a woman referee for any game we've been involved at particularly for a professional game. Some may sneer or take issue but got to remember it's the 21st Century and just about anything goes now. Hopefully she'll remain largely anonymous with minimal involvement as our players get on with the task that's ahead of them.

Voted to win. No offense to the opposition but they're essentially poor and we should take three points without the need to even play well. There's a whole lot of promotion challengers in and around Town's vicinity by way of league placing but you got to focus on this game alone and not concern oneself about other team scores. You get on with own team objectives and the rest should take care of itself.

Image Image

Milton Keynes 0 ITFC 2

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:28 pm

You’re right AP this is our first game with a female referee and Rebecca Welch is as far as I’m aware thd only female referee in the EFL, if not she was certainly the first and made her debut in April 2021.

This is only her 9th game in charge of an EFL fixture having already officiated in 1 Championship game, 3 League 1 games and 4 in League 2. So far she’s dished out 26 yellow cards and 0 Reds.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:06 pm

Hirst instead of Ladapo again. Why ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:39 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:06 pm
MKD backline all well over 6ft?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:41 pm

Ladapo could end up anonymous like the Rovers game?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:59 pm

Maybe Freddie is destined to be like Spurs Son Heung-Min who’s scored more goals coming on a sub than from starts. Just a thought.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:05 pm

What a shocking pitch. ☹️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:07 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:06 pm
Maybe McKenna’s listened to the fans shout for consistency with his starting line up. No changes !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:10 pm

Blimey we could so easily have gone behind on 5 mins.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:12 pm

Port Vale take early lead at Bolton :D .

The Sheffield Wednesday machine rolls on. :?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:16 pm

How on earth are we not 1-0 down, that was incredible defending from Town.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:19 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:16 pm
How on earth are we not 1-0 down, that was incredible defending from Town.
Great to read for a change

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:22 pm

POSH 2-0 up

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:22 pm

Peterborough 2 Plymouth 0 :lol: :mrgreen:

marko69
Global Moderator