Run in v Plymouth

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

JohnnyB

Run in v Plymouth

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:58 am

Can we catch them? Well maybe. Here's how it COULD play out - with Town making the autos on the last day of the season. This assumes that A) neither side loses until the end of the season B) Plymouth win all their home games C) top 6 games end in draws. Now let's watch none of this happening :)

Currently Town are 5 points behind Plymouth with a 10 + GD. Both played 34 with 12 games to go.

Tues March 7th - both home. Us Accrington - we win. Them Derby - draw. Gap to 3?

Sat 11 March - both away. Us Bolton. Them Barnsley. Could be losses, could be draws but gap stays the same?

Sat 18th March 18th - us Shrewsbury. Them FG. both home. Both win

Tues 21st March - they away Accrington. Draw? Gap at 4 with a game in hand

Sat 24th - we away Barnsley - we draw - gap at 3?

Sat 1st April - they at home to BR - win. We draw away at Derby - 5 point gap

Friday 7th April - we at home Wycombe. They away Morecambe. both win

Monday 10th April - we away Cheltenham. Them home Lincoln. both win

Saturday 15th - we win at home to Charlton. They draw at Exeter. 3 point gap

Tues 18th - we win at home to PV. They draw at Shrewsbury. 1 point

Saturday 25th - we win at Peterborough. They beat Cambridge at home. 1 point

Saturday 29th - both at home. Us Exeter. Them Burton. Both win. 1 point

Sat May 7th - we win at Fleetwood while they draw at PV - final gap 1 point. Town prompted on last day of the season

JohnnyB

Re: Run in v Plymouth

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:06 am

Actually I've got Derby to get a draw down at Plymouth on Tuesday so B) not quite

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:40 am

All very possible, Jonny - but there is also 1000 other different permutations so we will just have to try to keep winning and let it play out. The good news is that it is all still possible so we go again on Tuesday! COYB's!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:33 am

I've said from day one almost that we will catch Plymouth and we will. I still totally believe that will happen. Reading some of their fans comments, they do too.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:48 am

Feel yesterday was a big win for Plymouth. If they had dropped points again, especially at home, then they would then been under real pressure. Still think it will be very difficult for us to get that 2nd spot especially with away games to come at Bolton, Barnsley, Derby and Peterborough before the end of the season.
We are reliant on other teams doing us a favour but can only do the job ourselves and hope things go our way.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:42 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:48 am
Feel yesterday was a big win for Plymouth. If they had dropped points again, especially at home, then they would then been under real pressure. Still think it will be very difficult for us to get that 2nd spot especially with away games to come at Bolton, Barnsley, Derby and Peterborough before the end of the season.
We are reliant on other teams doing us a favour but can only do the job ourselves and hope things go our way.
Agree yesterday was a big win for Plymouth and if they win on Tuesday too it's going to be even tougher for us.

My feeling is the above four games might well be draws as there is so much at stake. Plus we're away but I genuinely think we're better than them. Of course they might not be all draws; we might lose, but also win some. But overall 6 points from the 4 games is well achievable.

I'm also thinking Peterborough's season may be effectively over by the time we go there. So I think rather than other teams doing us a favour, our destiny is in our own hands.

The above predictions have Plymouth unbeaten and winning all but one home game but dropping points by drawing on the road. In the 'away table' we are currently second, Plymouth fourth. In the 'home table', Pilgrims first, us fifth. So if we continue to win at home...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:14 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Yes, for me this is closer to reality. Tying in with what Tangfastic was saying in the matchday thread, gutsy wins v those 4 would show real intent on auto promo. Having said that; 4 goals for the GD cause is always welcome. That 2nd / 3rd position could come down to that.

Must've been a lazy "nowt to do" Sunday morning for you Johnny? :D Nice thread.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:14 am

I never for one second expected Plymouth or Sheff Wed to slip up yesterday, let's see how the next Three or Four games go, the League Table could look very different. Look back over previous seasons and it is a fact that teams that lose the least and have the best goal differences go up we are in prime position on both counts, I believe its very much in our own hands.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:25 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:14 am
Shed on tour wrote:
Yes, for me this is closer to reality. Tying in with what Tangfastic was saying in the matchday thread, gutsy wins v those 4 would show real intent on auto promo. Having said that; 4 goals for the GD cause is always welcome. That 2nd / 3rd position could come down to that.

Thanks man. I just figured I'd work out whether it's worth getting my hopes up or not. So the answer is a tentative yes, but we all know what hope does...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:32 am

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:25 am
marko69 wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:

Thanks man. I just figured I'd work out whether it's worth getting my hopes up or not. So the answer is a tentative yes, but we all know what hope does...
A buddy of mine is a Hibs Owl…… he still believes Wednesday can collapse in grand style. 🤔
Hate sitting next to that negative git when he’s back in Edinburgh and @ Easter Road.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:03 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
marko69 wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:

Talking of hope mine is that we win the last game of the season at Fleetwood to secure automatic promotion and the winner is scored by Hirst and then I can eat my words on both accounts. :lol: I mean I don’t ask for much!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:48 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:32 am
JohnnyB wrote:
marko69 wrote:

A buddy of mine is a Hibs Owl…… he still believes Wednesday can collapse in grand style. 🤔
Hate sitting next to that negative git when he’s back in Edinburgh and @ Easter Road.
Much as I'd love to see it all go tits up at Hillsborough, I don't think it'll happen. They've survived the Bannon injury and had other significant injuries, and they just keep grinding out 1-0s. Having said that they've got Pompey away, Bolton at home and Barnsley away next...

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:56 pm

Our home form ( too many draws) will I think cost us automatics. BUT the next 4 games for us snd Plymouth, will ultimately I think, decide who does eventually go up automatically. We need to beat Bolton, Derby & Barnsley, it’s as simple as that and hope that Plymouth draw at least two of their next 2-3 away games. A lot of “ ifs” . But I’m truth we only have ourselves to blame for the position we are now in. Just winning those drawn home games would I think have seen us top of league one, and Sheffield Weds!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:33 am
I've said from day one almost that we will catch Plymouth and we will. I still totally believe that will happen. Reading some of their fans comments, they do too.
Didn't you say at one time or another you were adamant we'd go up as League Champions. Not only that you offered a wager of sorts, not sure if anyone took up that particular offer but any initial prophecy, not looking too promising right now.

Regards the actual topic itself the fact of the matter being PAFC are catchable but it's kind of tough to envisage we can take their second place by end of season. Who's to say also Bolton or Barnsley could feasibly occupy the position by finish of final game. Just seems something of a tall order, you got to hope we win or take three points from near every game remainder of this season we're involved in and that PAFC - or SWFC - drop regular points with it.

Big game of notice this week with Plymouth taking on Derby. Rams seem nervous or not playing as they should, if they can win that game and we beat Accrington is it on the same night it'll make things real interesting.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:52 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:43 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:33 am
Didn't you say at one time or another you were adamant we'd go up as League Champions. Not only that you offered a wager of sorts, not sure if anyone took up that particular offer but any initial prophecy, not looking too promising right now.

Regards the actual topic itself the fact of the matter being PAFC are catchable but it's kind of tough to envisage we can take their second place by end of season. Who's to say also Bolton or Barnsley could feasibly occupy the position by finish of final game. Just seems something of a tall order, you got to hope we win or take three points from near every game remainder of this season we're involved in and that PAFC - or SWFC - drop regular points with it.

Big game of notice this week with Plymouth taking on Derby. Rams seem nervous or not playing as they should, if they can win that game and we beat Accrington is it on the same night it'll make things real interesting.
Yes I did say that, shame nobody had the guts to take it, too many fence sitters. It's not over yet by the way.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:44 pm

With the new players beginning to click, I think we’ll have a good shot of going up in the play offs. We can’t afford anymore blips regardless. Fingers crossed for automatic, but I’m gaining confidence in our ability to win important matches. Of course, we have to continue our good form against better teams. I feel ok though. I think we’ll be alright “if” we remain consistent.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:47 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:56 pm
Our home form ( too many draws) will I think cost us automatics. BUT the next 4 games for us snd Plymouth, will ultimately I think, decide who does eventually go up automatically. We need to beat Bolton, Derby & Barnsley, it’s as simple as that and hope that Plymouth draw at least two of their next 2-3 away games. A lot of “ ifs” . But I’m truth we only have ourselves to blame for the position we are now in. Just winning those drawn home games would I think have seen us top of league one, and Sheffield Weds!
Not sure we need to beat B, D and B but losing is going to be bad in terms of missing the autos AND as a psychological blow for the (then much more likely) playoffs. I would take draws in all three. But we're capable of winning.

A game we absolutely must win is Shrewsbury at home. Oh and the other five home games! Do-able tho (Accrington, Wycombe, Charlton, PV, Peterborough)

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:42 am

Think ive heard elsewhere that after next Saturday, Plymouths last 10 games are against 9 bottom half teams. I think Shrewsbury are the top half team. 5 of those games against bottom 6 teams.
If we can't close the gap in the next 2 games, i cant see us catching them.
Genuine question: Why do some feel Plymouth will capitulate? Because they're a smaller team? Ive heard that we are a,better side than them but thats irrelevant now as they don't have to do better than us to get over the line - they just have to consistently beat poor sides. We have to beat better sides.
Its all for Plymouth to lose from now on in. They've done the hard work... maybe the pressure will get to them, but their fixtures are ptetty kind.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:51 am

The odd thing is Tang which still gives hope to catching them is their slip ups already this season have come against lower sides and not those battling at the top, although they did lose at Sheff wed, Fleetwood, Charlton and Port Vale have also beaten them while they've drawn at places like Burton and Cambridge. Also when they again face these bottom sides they will be up against teams battling for their lives, that as we know only too well is never easy.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:06 am

JohnnyB wrote:
marko69 wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:

It springs eternal.
https://youtu.be/_V5Eqg6C34E

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:29 am

Obviously it is a case of us concentrating on our own results and then see where that takes us. Their home form has been tremendous so far, taking 46 points out of a possible 51 and if this continues I think it will be very difficult for us to catch them as I feel that even though their away form hasn’t been as good as ours they will still pick up enough points away from Home Park to see them across the line.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:53 am

Mauswara wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:06 am
It springs eternal
The most underrated film of all time. Was asked by the wife to “SHUT UP” whilst watching this film on a train with headphones on. Too funny.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:29 pm

I think this will be down to the results of 3 pivotal games, Bolton, Barnsley and Derby, if we can better their results on these it will be the decider, I think personally.

End of the day momentum must be maintained, no losses, if that happens we stand a bloody good chance of beating them to 2nd.

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:06 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
marko69 wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:

Johnny - The best version of that quote is from John Cleese as Brian Stimpson in Clockwork....

It’s not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It’s the hope I can’t stand

I'm still loving this season, the ups and downs, strikes and gutters (that's one for you Marko!)

Who can say if we'll catch the top two or not but what a ride it will be......and a playoff place as a consolation.

My 10 daughter year old is also loving it and we'll be at the Shrewsbury game. She's now obsessively scanning the results for the teams above and behind us, each week....18mths ago I doubt she knew what a football was! Funny old world.

COYB

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:00 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:53 am
Mauswara wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:06 am
It springs eternal
The most underrated film of all time. Was asked by the wife to “SHUT UP” whilst watching this film on a train with headphones on. Too funny.
Reckon you might be right there Marko, love Alan Rickman in that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:47 am

“You broke the ship. You BROKE THE BLOODY SHIP!” :lol:

Alan Rickman was brilliant.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:34 pm

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:44 pm

Defensive reinforcements for Plymouth:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/plymo ... e-opinion/

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:11 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:44 pm
Defensive reinforcements for Plymouth:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/plymo ... e-opinion/
To be fair, respect to Plymouth. They've had a great season and came back against Derby on Tuesday, grabbing the points when it was really on the line. If it was us and one other for the autos, I'd choose them every time.

Let's see how they fare against Barnsley away on Saturday. And let's see how we do against Bolton. Massive weekend in store

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:14 pm

The goal that won it for them came from a disputed penalty, highly contentious by all account although haven't seen the incident in question. There's not much anyone now can do about it. It's unfortunate but the result stands.

Plymouth have won 17 of 19 home games this season if correct. All right that may slightly off mark but their home record thus far is formidable. Chalk it up to being a b*stard of a trip to other clubs making the journey to a far corner of the UK but they're obviously getting something done.

I'm certain we'll score at least once at Bolton next weekend, our strike rate is maybe not phenomenal but highly commendable and average two goals for each fixture. At one time we had a clear deficiency of striking options and goals but the difference between then and now, you can't quite put measure on it. Game Changer Group and McKenna have to take their share of accolades.