League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Accrington Stanley Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

4 in a row?

Ipswich Win
92%
Accrington Win
No votes
Draw
8%

Total votes: 13

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Accrington Stanley Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:52 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Accrington Stanley Image

Tuesday 7th March 2023 – 19:45

Portman Road

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

Another game chalked off and job done following a comprehensive demolition of an in form Burton Albion side who had been on a decent run of form themselves prior to arriving at Portman Road for a game that really was must win for Town. While the scoreline may look emphatic it has to be said that the opening Twenty minutes or so was anything but as Burton started very well and had a lot of territorial advantage and were clearly pressing high up the pitch which we found hard to adjust to in the initial exchanges. It was always going to be a tall order for them to sustain that high intensity and so it proved as Town gradually started to get themselves on top and on the front foot.

Three well taken goals in a crazy Eleven Minute spell had the game won by half time as Town tore into the Burton defence at will, the crucial first came after some excellent work from Harry Clarke and a rejuvenated Wes Burns who teed up the ever reliable Conor Chaplin who took a couple of touches before despatching a sweet shot into the far corner of the net for his Eighteenth goal of the season. A few minutes later the Clarke/Burns combination were at it again, this time Burns put it on a plate for Nathan Broadhead to slam it home from a virtually unmissable position, it was a lovely move by Town which deserved to result in a goal. Town were not finished there as the impressive Chaplin threaded a glorious ball into the path of the onrushing Freddie Ladapo who made no mistake to fire home his Sixteenth of the season. Job done, game over.

The second half was always going to be a bit of an anti climax although it wasn't too bad as it goes but the goal rush was not ever going to continue in the same vein. Town did have chances with Chaplin missing a great chance as he pulled his shot wide, at the other end Walton was down to his right hand post to palm away a shot that could just have been creeping inside the post, Cameron Burgess pulled off a world class block to prevent a goal following some loose defending by Luke Woolfenden but by and large the Town goal looked untroubled. Town did finally get a Fourth with Twenty minutes remaining and who else but Conor Chaplin was on hand to fire home following a great piece of play from a surprisingly out of sorts Leif Davis although that one piece of magic alone was quality, that took Chaplin's tally to Nineteen for the season.

Town did come close to a Fifth in the closing minutes as substitute Marcus Harness had his effort superbly saved by the Burton keeper which would have made the score even more emphatic. That was pretty much the end of proceedings to a game which Town can feel very content with, a Fourth clean sheet on the bounce and the unbeaten run maintained, goals are flowing more freely lately and chances being taken, we are after all the top scorers in the division despite what some would have you believing. While the game remains at Five points to the top Two it was a good day with Bolton, Barnsley & Derby all dropping points, suddenly the chasing pack don't look quite so menacing although that is not to say they are not too close for comfort.

I think a special mention is needed for the excellent Massimo Luongo who was superb on the day and along with skipper Sam Morsy bossed the Midfield and drove us forward, it was clear how little space there was in the Midfield for Burton to exploit unlike other games where at times young Cameron Humphreys was starting to find it tough and as such loads of pressure was being heaped on Morsy, having Luongo available for the run in could be massive for our chances of a top Two finish.

There is not much time to dust ourselves down before we go into action again as Accrington Stanley head to Portman Road on Tuesday evening for what is another must win game in our quest for Top Two. Stanley are just One place and Two points above the dotted line so will be looking for a positive result themselves and are Three unbeaten so are making a fist of it. That said I cannot see us slipping up here again in a game that really should be Three points, with much harder games to come on paper we can go into those games in good form and positive mood, with Plymouth at home to Derby there is a good chance we can make up some ground on the Pilgrims, a draw would suit us fine but a Derby win would also be very welcome indeed but all we can do is do our bit and rely on others to slip up.

We are getting to the business end of the season now and hitting a bit of form again at just the right time so it would be a catastrophe if we were to slip up here, we won't !!! Town to win by Two clear goals at least, get this done then Bolton Wanderers here we come. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Accrington Stanley Honours

EFL League Two:
Winners: 2017–18

Conference National:
Winners: 2005–06

Northern Premier League:
Winners: 2002–03

Northern Premier League Division One:
Winners: 1999–00

Northern Premier League Challenge Cup
Winners: 2001–02

Northern Premier League Challenge Shield:
Winners: 2002–03

North West Counties League Division One:
Runners up: 1986–87

Cheshire County League Division 2:
Winners: 1980–81
Runners up: 1979–80

Lancashire Combination:
Winners (2): 1973–74, 1977–78
Runners up (2): 1971–72, 1975–76

Lancashire Combination Cup:
Winners (4): 1971–72, 1972–73, 1973–74, 1976–77

Lancashire Combination League Cup:
Winners: 1971–72

The Manager – John Coleman

League Table

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

11 Feb Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Sheffield Wed

14 Feb Bristol Rovers 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

18 Feb Ipswich Town 4 - 0 Forest Green

25 Feb Milton Keynes 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

4 Mar Ipswich Town 4 - 0 Burton Albion

Accrington Stanley

11 Feb Cheltenham 0 - 0 Accrington

14 Feb Accrington 0 - 2 Wycombe

18 Feb Accrington 1 - 0 Shrewsbury

25 Feb Burton Albion 0 - 0 Accrington

4 Mar Accrington 2 - 1 Forest Green

Head to Head

Match Referee – Lee Swabey

IPSWICH TOWN 2 ACCRINGTON STANLEY 1

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Accrington Stanley Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:45 pm

I’m hoping there won’t be too much tinkering with the team even though there’s only a few days preparation time. Maybe Davis will need a few extra days to recover but I’d like to see as close as possibly the same starting X1 on the pitch at least for the first 60+ minutes thus carrying on the confidence building.

I am of course mindful of Accrington’s League position and the difficulties that visitors can encounter as per Bolton at Morecambe yesterday as the home teams become desperate to pick up points although to be fair they really need to go for wins at home. Either way they won’t make it easy for us so there will be dven more pressure on the defence not to concede.

It could be one of those games where we’d be grateful to come away with the narrowest of margin’s win. I’d certainly be happy to take 0-1 and forsake building up the goal difference.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:39 am

Sort of team that has often caused us problems in the past. As has been said we are getting into the business end of the season now and the most important thing is to pick up the 3 points even if the performance is not great.
Will go for a edgy Town 1-0 win and hope that Derby can get something from their game against Plymouth.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:21 pm

I expect to beat them, but expect this to be harder than Burton. Would imagine they'll stick the bus in front of us. Early goal would be nice.
Will bet that Hirst will replace Freddie.
Leigh for Davis to protect him for Saturday and could expect Humphreys for Luongo as can't see him starting 2 games in 3 days.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:34 pm

Think i’ve said this before, but i’ll say it again after that preview. You need to earn cash from your writing. I read maybe 3 matchday reports from the usual online outlets, and you wipe the floor with them all. And if you write these purely from memory, (and dont take notes like “the press” do) …. then even more so you must write as an earner. And err……. Sort of sussed over the years that you might hate compliments, but FK IT….. you’re getting this one! :lol:

Having said all that……. I disagree with the utter shyte you said in paragraph……. :lol: JOKING!

I did say 2 or 3-0 win v a difficult Burton and since that did not jinx anything at all……. Feel confident enough to say that i feel Ipswich will comprehensively thump The Milky Bar Kid Stanley 3-0 minimum. Hoping (as Charnwood says) there is very little, if any, tinkering with the side barring injuries. Really do like reading that the first 22-25 mins were hard going (weirdly) but for the lads to “work it out” speaks volumes and takes masses of unnecessary pressure off KMcK.
Big win, and other results being kind. 🙏

Ref: (blows whistle)
Coleman: “Can’t hear you, Ref. Use yer fingers. These two.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:16 pm

LOL thank you Marko and yes everything is from the memory and as I alone see it, as much as I appreciate the compliment I am sure there are a few that thinks all hot air bollocks lmao 🤣

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:27 am

Can't see much beyond the home win. Would be real disappointed to miss out on expected three points with this one. The opposition have themselves a relegation fight maybe but that shouldn't prevent a win for us. They'll make it tough perhaps and won't go without a fight but its got to be a Town victory hasn't it.

Not sue about Plymouth / Derby. A draw would probably be best should we win as the former only take a point from it and County are too near behind us for wanting them to win any game right now. Maybe its better Derby win altogether and Plymouth get zero from it but given the closeness of promotion rivals not sure on what's the best deal from it in all truth.

This is a great opportunity for three points, hope the players keep their focus and go for goals again. Whatever formation McKenna picks seems immaterial as believe we'll simply have too much for them particularly with a home advantage.

Expected home win with minimal doubt. Maybe 2, 3 - 0, they may score one themselves, but it won't be enough to stop the team from an end winning position.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:54 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:27 am
Not sure about Plymouth / Derby. A draw would probably be best should we win as the former only take a point from it and County are too near behind us for wanting them to win any game right now. Maybe its better Derby win altogether and Plymouth get zero from it but given the closeness of promotion rivals not sure on what's the best deal from it in all truth.
This is what is great about this season. Having these types of conversations. Promotion conversations. Not had these conversations since Hearts arse Berra screwed up in the Play-Offs.
So much better than the “being 8th and will ITFC make the Play-Offs” type conversations.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:47 am

I agree with Marko, always a good read from you Mike.

I can see this being a tricky little bugger of a game tbh, pretty physical and is going to test us, saying that that I see another hard fought win and hopefully we come out of it pretty unscathed and Morsy with no yellow cards in readiness for the big game Saturday.

2 - 0 to the gods in blue!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:19 am

Not sure if that's a current photo but the pitch looks terrible. Which I hear it is.

I think we'll win it but it will be a bit of a struggle. Dearly hope Derby can take something away from Home Park.

Hopefully the line up remains fairly stable but we might see Hirst, maybe Humphreys, or even Leigh.

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:09 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:19 am
Not sure if that's a current photo but the pitch looks terrible. Which I hear it is.

I think we'll win it but it will be a bit of a struggle. Dearly hope Derby can take something away from Home Park.

Hopefully the line up remains fairly stable but we might see Hirst, maybe Humphreys, or even Leigh.
That's an old photo. I think that's the old North Stand. The pitch is looking a bit tired right now but nowhere near as bad as in that photo

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:12 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:45 pm
I’m hoping there won’t be too much tinkering with the team even though there’s only a few days preparation time. Maybe Davis will need a few extra days to recover but I’d like to see as close as possibly the same starting X1 on the pitch at least for the first 60+ minutes thus carrying on the confidence building.

I am of course mindful of Accrington’s League position and the difficulties that visitors can encounter as per Bolton at Morecambe yesterday as the home teams become desperate to pick up points although to be fair they really need to go for wins at home. Either way they won’t make it easy for us so there will be dven more pressure on the defence not to concede.

It could be one of those games where we’d be grateful to come away with the narrowest of margin’s win. I’d certainly be happy to take 0-1 and forsake building up the goal difference.
Exactly as I feel!

I do think there might be changes though, based on:

- Davies likely out for this one due to the knock he got sat
- Will burns be rested for jackson?
- Would you rest Morsy to avoid the risk of suspension vs bolton
- But can Lungo play again so soon, maybe if you swapped for Humpreys on 60mins etc, but also see above
- Does Hirst come in, I hope not but you know Km...

If Davies is out do you bring in leigh (my option) or move Clarke to LB and bring in JD? Also does JD come in for clark, again wouldn't put it past the manager.

Hopefully we'll get a similar line-up to last match, chaplin and broadhead HAVE to start.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:26 pm

If Donacien replaces Clarke then yep, KMcK would need to justify that one for sure. Four clean sheets since the SheffWed game......, do not mess with that form, Kieron, injuries aside.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:47 pm

I would bring Leigh in for Davis and keep everything else as it was, Luongo has stated he is fine to go again, you don't reward MOTM performances with being dropped, well most managers don't. If we rest any of Chaplin, Broadhead, Ladapo, Clarke then for me McKenna needs his head testing.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:36 pm

Agree, but think Humpreys will have a role to play - either from the bench or as a starter. You could start him and give Morsy/Lungo a 60/30 split.
We are thin in CM and need to keep those 3 fit and ready for the weekend.

Side note by this month is just huge if we are to catch Plymouth, they have very good looking fixtures for their last ten or so games, only playing 1 of the top half (Shrewsbury) and 5 out of the bottom 6.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:20 pm

Agree with Mike about starting 11. Any doubt at all about Davis then bring in Leigh but no other changes unless there are others carrying knocks we don’t know about. No tinkering just for the sake of it KM.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:03 pm

2 changes, Jackon for Burns and JD for Clarke.

Im ok with that, suprised to see Davies start though as thought his knock might keep him out.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:06 pm

shabba wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:36 pm
Agree, but think Humpreys will have a role to play - either from the bench or as a starter. You could start him and give Morsy/Lungo a 60/30 split.
We are thin in CM and need to keep those 3 fit and ready for the weekend.

Side note by this month is just huge if we are to catch Plymouth, they have very good looking fixtures for their last ten or so games, only playing 1 of the top half (Shrewsbury) and 5 out of the bottom 6.
They have some pretty tricky fixtures in the meantime though. Also wouldn't the end of the season would be the very worst time to be playing the bottom six teams?

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:07 pm

I expect Jackson is in for his pace and JD because KMc thinks he is better in defence.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:33 pm

He's tinkered. Jeezo.

Hopefully Woolfenden doesn't have a nightmare alongside Donacien.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 pm

They both played to Stanley didn't they (JD and Jackson )

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:44 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 pm
They both played to Stanley didn't they (JD and Jackson )
Yes, they're both up against their former club.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:49 pm

Just home from first dinner out for nearly 6 months and red wine too. 🍷🍷🍷. It just had to be early doors with the Tractor Boys kicking off at 20.45. A win would be the icing on the cake.

COYB ‘s make my day. 🙏🤞🙏

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:53 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:07 pm
I expect Jackson is in for his pace and JD because KMc thinks he is better in defence.
I think it is so KM can have a more attacking bench, by naming just a single substitute defender. I see there's no Leigh, therefore Clarke can come on on either the left or right. Had Clarke started and Donacien been a sub and for some reason Davis had to come off, he'd have had to reshuffle his back line.
I know what I mean, not sure anyone else will though 🤔🤣

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:54 pm

Burgess error nearly costly only 5 mins in, just shoes how a simple mistake can completely change the run of play. Hope that’s a one off.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:59 pm

You beauty!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:01 pm

Nice one ITFC....., let's take a leaf out of Liverpools book....., 8 shots on target, 7 goals........, thats 1 shot, 1 goal......, keep it going.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:01 pm

What a wonderful goal.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:02 pm

What brilliant football from Luongo to Jackson to Broadhead, brilliant right from the back through midfield to the the goal. ⚽️
1-0 and only 12 mins gone, that’s more like it.