League 1 - Bolton Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we keep the momentum going?

Bolton Win
5%
Ipswich Win
63%
Draw
32%

Total votes: 19

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Bolton Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:55 pm

Image Bolton Wanderers v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 11th March 2023 – 15:00

University of Bolton Stadium

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

If Town fail to go up automatically it certainly won't be for the want of trying, nor will it be down to our form going into the final Third of the season as the goals are flowing, the wins are racking up and the defence is as solid as it has been at any time this campaign, failure to gain One of the automatic places can be put down to the inability to execute all of those Three factors earlier in the season when a few games got away from us when we were so much better than the opposition, of course it should not go unnoticed that ridiculous decisions could yet come back to haunt us.

For now though it is only right that we acknowledge the efforts of the players as Tuesday night's win over a stubborn and ugly Accrington Stanley made it Four wins on the bounce with Five straight clean sheets to boot. A pretty game it wasn't and certainly not one for the connoisseur where free flowing Football is concerned but what it was was a thoroughly professional job done when we had very little to gain but everything to lose. From the moment the First goal went in after Twelve minutes it really did look like it was another Three points in the bag and so it proved although going in at half time still only one goal to the good always leaves you filled with that feeling of trepidation such has been our tendancy this season to let winning positions slip away.

Thankfully Town ground out another goal well before the final minutes to give us some leeway and ease any pressure that may have come our way should another tense finish have presented itself. in fact it was us who came up with a late late goal to put the seal on the victory and put some gloss to the scoreline. The goals we did score we very well taken and created with some decent build up play too, the ball from Massimo Luongo to send the excellent Kayden Jackson away to set up the first was sublime, Jackson too did his bit perfectly which left the goal poacher that is Nathan Broadhead with the simplest of tap ins for his Fourth goal in as many home games.

Luongo has come into the side at a time when it was really needed and has been a revelation in both games which has also relieved some of the burden that was sitting very firmly on skipper Sam Morsy's shoulders, not that you would notice as Morsy too has been back to his best in recent games which to be fair sometimes goes unnoticed. I can't speak highly enough of Kayden Jackson either, so often out of the side he came in and ran their defence ragged at times in the first half and it was fitting that it was he who bagged the crucial second goal following Luongo's effort coming back off the bar after more good work from Broadhead.

The Third goal had a real touch of quality about it as Kyle Edwards, another who has had to be so patient for his chance, curled home a beautiful free kick after the Stanley keeper had seen Red for his reckless race from his goal to bring down the marauding Harry Clarke, it was no more than Edwards deserved too and it was clear just how pleased every other Town player was for him, the team spirit in our camp is second to none and has stood firm throughout the whole campaign.

The only negative of the night was of course Argyle again somehow coming from behind to sink Derby County and in doing so maintain their Five point cushion over ourselves, of course it was disappointing and for me not expected, I really fancied them to drop points in this One to allow us to close the gap a bit more but it was not to be, hopefully some of these so called easier games on paper prove to be less so for them in the run, they've come unstuck before and it can happen again.

Next up is the first of what is being billed as the "Big Three" in terms of our season, with Barnsley & Derby to follow we visit Bolton Wanderers who are starting to find the pace a little hot but they are still in that Top Six which is all that matters right now, having played a game or two more than most they cannot really afford too many more slip up's themselves and as such this will be a real test for Town. While much has changed since the opening day when we it was honours even at Portman Road I have certainly not forgotten how we took control of the game after a slow start to do more than enough to win the game and by the close Bolton could count themselves a little fortunate to escape with a point, we weren't scared of them then and we most certainly should not be now, let's go there and take it to them.

The Trotters form is pretty erratic in recent weeks with only One win in the last Four outings but it has to be remembered that aside from Sheffield Wednesday nobody has conceded less than Bolton so this could well be decided either way by a single goal, hopefully it will be town that find a way to get the breakthrough, we are on fire in front of goal right now and if the defence can stand firm again I can see us nicking this one too, what will help is that Bolton are unlikely to sit back and defend for obvious reasons and as always that will suit us better, I am not sure that at our best anyone can go toe to toe with us in an attacking sense.

With Barnsley hosting Plymouth this is a massive weekend and One that while not defining our season could well play a pivotal role in it, there are bound to be more twist and turns along the way and hopefully this weekend proves that to be the case, in our favour of course. It's a Town win for me and Barnsley to put the brakes on Plymouth's run, come on James Norwood you beauty, you owe us One !!! IPSWICH TIL I DIE.

Bolton Wanderers Honours

League titles

Second Division/Championship

Champions: 1908–09, 1977–78, 1996–97
Runners-up: 1899–1900, 1904–05, 1910–11, 1934–35
Play-off Winners: 1995, 2001
Play-off Runners-up: 1999

Third Division/League One

Champions: 1972–73
Runners-up: 1992–93, 2016–17
Play-off Runners-up: 1991
Play-off Semi-finalists: 1990

Fourth Division/League Two

Third: 1987–88, 2020–21

FA Cup

Winners: 1922–23, 1925–26, 1928–29, 1957–58
Runners-up: 1893–94, 1903–04, 1952–53
Semi-finalists: 1889-90, 1895–96, 1914–15, 1934–35, 1945–46, 1999–2000, 2010–11

Football League Cup

Runners-up: 1994–95, 2003–04
Semi-finalists: 1976–77, 1999–2000

FA Charity Shield

Winners: 1958

Football League Trophy

Champions: 1988–89
Runners-up: 1985–86

The Manager – Ian Evatt

League Table as at

Form Guide

Bolton Wanderers

14 Feb Bolton 5 - 0 Milton Keynes

18 Feb Wycombe 1 - 0 Bolton

25 Feb Bolton 2 - 1 Port Vale

28 Feb Portsmouth 3 - 1 Bolton

4 Mar Morecambe 0 - 0 Bolton

Ipswich Town

14 Feb Bristol Rovers 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

18 Feb Ipswich Town 4 - 0 Forest Green

25 Feb Milton Keynes 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

4 Mar Ipswich Town 4 - 0 Burton Albion

7 Mar Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Accrington

Head to Head

Match Referee – Neil Hair

BOLTON WANDERERS 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Dazzz67

Re: League 1 - Bolton Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:37 am

Nice one Frosty!

Can see this being a very close affair, we have history with Bolton and not always the best outcome, ive always thought of them as a bit of a bogey team. Their home form recently has been great, our away form has been up there too so reckon a goal will be all that separate us on the day, but hoping Chaplin will be bang back on it on the day.

Bolton 1 - ITFC 2

Hopefully the weather will improve and those traveling up will have a safe journey, COYB!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:46 am

Once again, great preview! I've been a critic of Jackson in the past and I'm genuinely happy he had such a good game. He also justified KM's reasons for starting him. I knew Broadhead would bring a lot to the team once he got fit, but I'm completely surprised by Luongo's solid performances. On paper Luongo looked like a McCarthyesque ageing square peg, but he's certainly proving a lot of people wrong for their criticism. Another bit of shrewd business from Mr Ashton, I presume.

If we continue play like we have recently, we should be able to win this. It's obviously important we do win because I also have a feeling Plymouth will get beat by Barnsley. A draw for us won't be a disaster I suppose, but a loss certainly will not help the cause.

COYB!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:12 pm

This game is definitely winnable but it will take a huge effort especially from the defence and no sloppy pissing around with the ball at his feet from Christian Walton who every game comes close at least once to gifting a goal away. Any opposition team who analyses us closely will know to be on the look out for a Walton gift.

Team selection will be a nice challenge to have for McKenna as we have a number of players in very good form. I’d definitely start with Ladapo, Broadhead and Chaplin up front, it really is a no brainer now with Hirst on the bench as cover. Morsy & Luongo play very well together with the Aussie’s energy freeing up Morsy to push further forward and play more controlled with less aggression. Hopefully he can get through the next few games without picking up another booking and the suspension that goes with it.

Leif Davis provides so many assists I’m pretty certain he’ll also start and assuming Burns is recalled and Clarke is fit I expect these to be our right side pace however McKenna could equally stick with Jackson and Donacien and this is probably his biggest problem but a luxury one to have.

The defence is pretty much sorting itself out but Woolfie & Burgess however well they play almost always look prone to making a costly error whether it be a mis timed tackle or shocking pass out of defence gifting the opposition with the ball in a dangerous area.

Whichever way it goes I’m not expecting a goal fest with the most likely score 1-0 or 0-1 and of course only one of those is acceptable and that’s my prediction.

As always I’m really looking forward to Saturday’s game and even with it’s occasional failings I can’t express how grateful I am to have ifollow to watch every Town game despite being more than 1,000 miles away.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:00 pm

Having looked a bit light in midfield numbers, I think this is good news about Ball getting back to fitness ahead of schedule. Could be vital in keeping our midfield fresh.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23375040.i ... ad-bolton/

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:24 pm

It certainly is good news about Ball, Mark, worse case scenario Morsy picks up another yellow at least we have another option along with young Humphreys. Did not think Ball would be back so quick, surely it is only another month or so and Evans will be back too.

Going to need some cover with some tricky games against higher flyers soon.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:23 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:24 pm
It certainly is good news about Ball, Mark, worse case scenario Morsy picks up another yellow at least we have another option along with young Humphreys. Did not think Ball would be back so quick, surely it is only another month or so and Evans will be back too.

Going to need some cover with some tricky games against higher flyers soon.
Camara should beat Evans back. He's played for the 21s already. Astonished how quick Ball's recovery is - most of us wrote him off for the season.
A lot of competition for tbe play-offs.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:30 pm

To be in the squad really is a bonus, I wasn't expecting him to play for us again to be perfectly honest, with Morsy on a tightrope until the end of the Shrewsbury game it could well be a godsend.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:11 pm

We have had serious “ long term” injuries once again at this Club , this season. But all credit due to the medical staff because they actually do get these players back playing again a lot sooner than under any previous reg8me I think.

I can’t recall what Ball is really like as MF as can’t recall the last time I saw him play….. is he any good , and what would he bring to the team that Luongo doesn’t ? Personally I wouldn’t be disrupting the Morsy / Luongo partnership right now.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:24 am

We are now getting into the business end of the season. Think you could make a good case for either side regarding this fixture. We have won 4 in a row and haven’t conceded in 5 games and despite them having a small blip recently they have won their last 5 league games at home.
I must admit even though we haven’t conceded in the last 5 games I still have concerns how we will cope defensively against these higher ranked teams away from home when put under pressure. Regarding this game my head says a Bolton win, my heart says Town and we continue the momentum we have built up recently.
Will have to go for a draw then.

Bolton 1 Town 1

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:39 am

Caption: So apparently, the Wolverine is a Bolton fan? :lol:

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:39 pm

Huge game this one. I feel the chance to catch Plymouth skipped away when they come from behind to bear Derby on Tuesday.

Still this is a good test for us, suspect it’ll be a low scoring game.

Agree with all the good comments above, let’s keep the Burton line up - but jackson is hammering on the door for a start now.

What will the attendance be like there tomorrow? Not sure what crowds they have been getting.

One thing i would say is the ‘playing around at the back’
Was actually working wonders recently - the team is doing it to invite the press - which they then beat and find players in space. I was highly impressed with it against Accrington and we created many chances from it, for me it shows the manager is adapting to different methods.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:57 am

how many times the opposition moved to a new stadia, altered the name of it. Hell they've even got another change lined up. Get back to Burnden Park and keep it simple.

We'll win, maybe take a 3 - 1 victory from the trip out there. One look at our attacking options is something incredible, there's options galore if only McKenna could utilize them to proper effect. Don't see the team in action all too often but guess the midfield is something amazing also, the goals have to come from certain areas of the field.

Plymouth have to lose, we should wiin or have to at least and other challengers need drop points. Tomorrow will be pivotal for us, one of the true defining games of a season. There's really little else to include on the issue.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:00 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:57 am
how many times the opposition moved to a new stadia, altered the name of it. Hell they've even got another change lined up. Get back to Burnden Park and keep it simple.

We'll win, maybe take a 3 - 1 victory from the trip out there. One look at our attacking options is something incredible, there's options galore if only McKenna could utilize them to proper effect. Don't see the team in action all too often but guess the midfield is something amazing also, the goals have to come from certain areas of the field.

Plymouth have to lose, we should wiin or have to at least and other challengers need drop points. Tomorrow will be pivotal for us, one of the true defining games of a season. There's really little else to include on the issue.
Oh Buddha, thank providence Portman Road didn't end up the Magical Vegas Stadium.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:17 am

Huge day for James Lapado and Freddie Norwood.
How huge a day is it for those two, Ian Evatt? (Picture) “Aw yes, THIS huge.”

Nice preview and voted draw in the poll. If gambling, its the draw that’d be the way to go. With that in mind, 20 quid on Bolton.
Come on, ITFC.

Ref caption:
“Whats the odds on Ipswich, ref?”
“Ok, when you have ipswich going out from the warm at…….”
“Ref, quit the john mccrirrick shyte. Just tell me!”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:34 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:24 am
We are now getting into the business end of the season. Think you could make a good case for either side regarding this fixture. We have won 4 in a row and haven’t conceded in 5 games and despite them having a small blip recently they have won their last 5 league games at home.
I must admit even though we haven’t conceded in the last 5 games I still have concerns how we will cope defensively against these higher ranked teams away from home when put under pressure. Regarding this game my head says a Bolton win, my heart says Town and we continue the momentum we have built up recently.

Bolton 1 Town 1
I think I'll buy this, Shed. For the Tartan Army Ipswich fan.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325531918281 ... SwsqxjhNTr

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:05 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:34 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:24 am

Bolton 1 Town 1
I think I'll buy this, Shed. For the Tartan Army Ipswich fan.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325531918281 ... SwsqxjhNTr
marko, I like that. Got to get back up to Scotland soon as it’s been far too long since I last paid a visit. I was told that when I retired I would have the time to do all the things I want. Yeah,right not when her indoors is about! :lol:

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:04 pm

Hirst in for Ladapo the only change ?🤷‍♂️

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:08 pm

Well he needs to start bloody scoring.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:08 pm
Has he scored one yet? I’m not convinced the one he got a Burnley actually went in off him rather than the defender. Perhaps if I keep moaning about him he will get a hat-trick.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:08 pm
Feel sorry for Freddie. But in Mckenna we trust...

On another note, wonder if Mick Mills will get a call from the BBC, 'we're a bit stuck. Don't fancy presenting MOTD tonight, do you?'

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:56 pm

Would love to present it, however the bleep sound to blot out all my expletives would probably get on everyone's nerves lol

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:13 pm

It looks like McKenna prefers Hirst away and Ladapo at home.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:14 pm

Davis is bloody awful again today, good save from Walton

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:15 pm

Good save Walton!

Burgess got caught there

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:17 pm

It looks like Bolton play from the back the same as we do, it looks equally risky for them too at times.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:30 pm

Sorry but Burns is absolute Pish at times

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:36 pm

We are well on top but no clear chances

JohnnyB