League 1 - Bolton Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we keep the momentum going?

Bolton Win
5%
Ipswich Win
63%
Draw
32%

Total votes: 19

AzzurroMark

Re: League 1 - Bolton Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:36 pm

I think the thing about yesterday and the build up to the game, was Bolton's very strong defensive record at home, "They’ve lost only twice and conceded a league-low nine goals on home turf all season, with only one goal conceded in their last 10 games. It included a run of 15 hours without conceding" (source EADT). This shows that we should fear no team. Add this and the fact that the Owls too had not conceded a League goal in 2023, until we scored twice in February adds credence. Even now only us and MK Dons (2) have scored league goals against Wednesday in 2023!
The penalty save was crucial to getting that huge win. I had my doubts we could keep another clean sheet, but we have. For me Wolfie & Burgess have always been my favourite CB pairing, yes they're in no way perfect, but I provided some stats a while back which painted a very favourable picture of results achieved when those 2 have started.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:39 pm

Lovely warm glow about these parts just now..

Really enjoyed watching the game on ifollow yesterday. It wasn't a particularly pretty game but watching the players' strength and skill was entertaining enough. We looked well organised and in control to a man from back to front.

I think that result and performance sends a clear message to those around us in the table: we fear no one, we're playing to win every game and we fully intend to go up this year.

Bring on the Shrews and the Tykes!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:42 pm

Also I would love to know what McKenna said to the squad during the 'long meeting' on the Thursday after the BR draw. Whatever it was, it certainly seems to have worked!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:16 am

If you ever took the time to look back at previous promotion seasons there's some interesting comparisons ; por ejemplo

Final run-in games and victories with Derby County, Bolton and Plymouth. All games won. Town promoted

Final run-in games and victories with Derby County, Barnsley and Plymouth. All games won. Town promoted

Final run-in games and victories with Barnsley, Plymouth, Bolton and Barnsley again. Town promoted

Depends how much you read into it. There must be a connection of sorts or a certain pattern but guess it kind of lends a level of encouragement in the time ahead.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:07 am

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:42 pm
Also I would love to know what McKenna said to the squad during the 'long meeting' on the Thursday after the BR draw. Whatever it was, it certainly seems to have worked!

Whatever it was he said it’s a shame he didn’t say it on the way home from Cambridge 10 days earlier. If he had we’d be sitting 2nd on equal points with Plymouth but with a way superior goal difference.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:02 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:16 am
If you ever took the time to look back at previous promotion seasons there's some interesting comparisons ; por ejemplo

Final run-in games and victories with Derby County, Bolton and Plymouth. All games won. Town promoted

Final run-in games and victories with Derby County, Barnsley and Plymouth. All games won. Town promoted

Final run-in games and victories with Barnsley, Plymouth, Bolton and Barnsley again. Town promoted

Depends how much you read into it. There must be a connection of sorts or a certain pattern but guess it kind of lends a level of encouragement in the time ahead.
This is deserving of recognition, Saint. I find this incredibly unbelievable. Chances are millions to one in a 92 team league. Jeezo. Nice bit of undercover work there. 👍👌👏👏👏

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:00 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:02 pm
arana peligrosa wrote:

This is deserving of recognition, Saint. I find this incredibly unbelievable. Chances are millions to one in a 92 team league. Jeezo. Nice bit of undercover work there. 👍👌👏👏👏
Oh brilliant, Marko! So you took the time to check out Spider-Man’s statistics? You’re the dogs bollocks when it comes to credibility. Well done, mate! You’re the best mod! :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:54 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:00 pm
marko69 wrote:
arana peligrosa wrote:

Oh brilliant, Marko! So you took the time to check out Spider-Man’s statistics? You’re the dogs bollocks when it comes to credibility. Well done, mate! You’re the best mod! :wink:
Got to be honest, 9....., I'm taking Saint Spiders word for it......, checked feck all, buddy :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:14 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:54 pm
number 9 wrote:
marko69 wrote:

Got to be honest, 9....., I'm taking Saint Spiders word for it......, checked feck all, buddy :lol:
Just spit my beer out lol!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:52 am

marko69 wrote:
number 9 wrote:
marko69 wrote:

I just had to look 👀 started on 1999/2000 season, and we didn't play Plymouth in the league :shock: so didn't look at anymore :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:29 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:52 am
marko69 wrote:
number 9 wrote:

I just had to look 👀 started on 1999/2000 season, and we didn't play Plymouth in the league :shock: so didn't look at anymore :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: