League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we keep winning?

Ipswich Win
93%
Shrewsbury Win
No votes
Draw
7%

Total votes: 14

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:52 pm

Image Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Image

Saturday 18th March 2023– 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Back in the race !!!!! Yes Indeed, in the aftermath of our impressive win at Bolton Wanderers and Plymouth's drubbing at Barnsley Town find themselves very much in the hunt for one of those coveted top Two places, a gap that not so long ago stood at a massive Ten points is now down to a mere Two and with us breathing down the necks of the men from Home Park the pressure is, as Kieran McKenna said, very much on the Devon based club. While the remaining list of fixtures very much favours Plymouth one cannot help but feel we are bang in form at exactly the right time and our winning run shows no sign of abating, fingers crossed.

it was a very impressive performance against the tough to beat Trotters but there is no doubt it was a more than deserved Three points, a stunning strike from George Hirst, following a lung busting run and pinpoint cross from Wes Burns, got the ball rolling and what a time to score it, moments before half time changed the whole complexion of the game, not to mention the Bolton managers team talk. About the only time Town's defence really looked in serious trouble culminated in the concession of a needless penalty which at the time really was gut wrenching, but fear not, that man Christian Walton who is also finding his early season form again pulled off a fab save to keep us in front and from that point you just kinda thought this may just be our day.

By the time Town's Centre Back Cameron Burgess powered home an unstoppable header from a Leif Davis corner Town had gained the upper hand and had already had chances to put the game to bed, that really was the killer blow and by the close we had carved out Eighteen attempts at goal against a team who do not concede many and who are very tough to beat on their own patch, I think the win has been very slightly underplayed by us all if I am honest. The latest victory takes our winning run to Five games and the clean sheets continue to rack up, that is Six on the spin which is a new club record, 596 minutes without conceding a goal has made such a difference to a Town team that have often failed to put winnable games to bed, with shut out's at one end and goals flowing at the other it really is a recipe for success. it had long been said that if we could only string a few wins together the picture would look so much different, how right was that.

Two of the things that really pleased me following the game was not only the brilliant return to form of Walton but also the very impressive showing by Luke Woolfenden, I have given him plenty of stick in the past, justified in my opinion, so it is only right to sing his praises here, I thought he was outstanding at times and never looked flaky as he often can, if he can continue in that vein we will be very hard to beat for sure. In truth the whole team played their part and that strike from Hirst, another who I have had reservations about was stunning.

The ten game run in continues with a home game against Shrewsbury Town which on the face of it suggest a Sixth straight win and another Three points, and while this could well end up being the case let's not be taking the Shrews for granted, it may be going slightly unnoticed but they are having a really good season and are currently sitting in Ninth place and Eight points off the play off zone but with a game in hand, a tall order yes but certainly not impossible if they can carve out a few wins, draws are no good to them which could well play right into our hands, they have to go for the points, no parking the bus and time wasting here hopefully.

Shrewsbury's recent draw at Derby having been Two goals down show's you that they are very capable of spoiling a party and have to be taken very seriously indeed, they may not be the greatest travellers but they have pulled off a few decent results on their travels which needs to be a warning to us. At the moment I am struggling to see anything but a Town win whoever we play, we just look a different animal in recent weeks and are oozing confidence and belief, having closed the gap right up on Plymouth they Boys certainly won't want any slip up's here, I don't see us closing the game anymore this weekend however as Plymouth take on basement side Forest Green Rovers and even though they appear to be on a little bit of a wobble I think they will have way to much for the vegetable chomping Greengrocers.

All we can do is concentrate on ourselves and continue to take One game at a time, that mentality has served us well and I firmly believe it will continue to do so here with Town picking up another valuable Three points, can we keep another clean sheet too ? Well who knows but I back us to score the goals needed to get the job done, the other important aspect of this game is to see skipper Sam Morsy come through it without a yellow card which if successful will see him safe from any suspension as all previous cards become irrelevant. A Town win for me and the pressure still very much on Argyle, as for Forest Green, they couldn't, could they ?????? COYB'S.

Shrewsbury Town- Honours

League

Football League Third Division / EFL League One

Champions (1): 1978–79
Play-off Finalists (1): 2018

Third Division / Fourth Division / League Two

Champions (1): 1993–94
Runners-up (3): 1974–75, 2011–12, 2014–15
Promotion (1): 1958–59
Play-off Finalists (2): 2007, 2009

Football Conference

Play-off winners (1): 2004

Cups

Football League Trophy

Runners-up (2): 1995–96, 2017–18

Welsh Cup

Winners (6): 1890–91, 1937–38, 1976–77, 1978–79, 1983–84, 1984–85
Runners-up (3): 1930–31, 1947–48, 1979–80

The Manager – Steve Cotterill

League Table

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

18 Feb Ipswich Town 4 - 0 Forest Green

25 Feb Milton Keynes 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

4 Mar Ipswich Town 4 - 0 Burton Albion

7 Mar Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Accrington

11 Mar Bolton 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

Shrewsbury Town

18 Feb Accrington 1 - 0 Shrewsbury

25 Feb Shrewsbury 2 - 0 Wycombe

4 Mar Derby County 2 - 2 Shrewsbury

7 Mar Peterborough 2 - 1 Shrewsbury

11 Mar Shrewsbury 3 - 1 Morecambe

Head to Head

Match Referee – Ollie Yates

IPSWICH TOWN 2 SHREWSBURY TOWN 0

number 9

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:42 pm

Shrewsbury score goals, so another clean sheet will be a revelation. If indeed we manage to shut them out, it will be another check mark for the ITFC we all have dreamed about. With Easter approaching, I have no doubt we will rise again and do the business. A prolific win is on the cards for me…we’re unstoppable! Pass the bread because this could be the season we go up up up!

COYB!!!!!!!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:42 am

Voted to win and didn't give it much thought with it. Didn't view the opposition last five score, I got a certain faith in our abilities. Must have the best attacking options in the entire league, can envisage we'll score at least two for this event, maybe more. Walton has proved erratic at times this season and defense probably isn't as robust as it could be but just can't see beyond a Town victory. Promotion (achievement) games are made of this.

Ir a cogida ustedes mismos rojo mierda, tambien.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:42 am

Another test - but one they'll be meticulously prepared for and they won't be complacent.

2-0 - professional performance, goal in each half

Down in Devon...well you never know...anything other than a thrashing for FG will be a bonus, even a hard-won nervy 1-0

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:39 am

Grandstand results guy from the 70s/80s:
Plymouth Argyle ….. 4 ……. Vegetable Chomping Greengrocers ….. nil.

Nice preview and to be honest, could not have told anyone where Shrewsbury were in the league such is how much i gave a sh*t, but with you highlighting that they are 9th, then yes indeed, a parking the bus performance would be meaningless to them. They need to come out and play. Going for the 3-0 ITFC home win.

Ref: “No Steve. My name is Ollie. Not Molly. Say it……. Ollie. Say, Ollie…..”
Steve Cotterill (picture)

Hey OhioTractorBoy…….. for you, buddy. 🤘🤘🤘

https://youtu.be/8ttWa3Kw7Uo

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:53 am

Think there will be a few twists and turns for all the clubs involved in the race for 2nd before the end of the season. This game certainly has the potential to be a banana skin for Town, as Shrewsbury showed recently when they went to Derby they are capable of getting a result at clubs who are on a good run. Hopefully this won’t be the case on Saturday.

Town 2 Shrewsbury 1

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:43 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:39 am

Nice preview and to be honest, could not have told anyone where Shrewsbury were in the league such is how much i gave a sh*t, but with you highlighting that they are 9th, then yes indeed, a parking the bus performance would be meaningless to them. They need to come out and play. Going for the 3-0 ITFC home win.

Hey marko, have you heard of a heavy metal band “ Cradle of Filth”?

I only learned recently my estranged ( haven’t seen him since he was about 8 yrs old), cousin was bass guitarist for them. A far cry from the timid little boy I remember lol!

His stage name is Robin Graves but his real name is Robin Eaglestone .

https://yourlastrites.com/2019/02/28/di ... ade-flesh/

Robin Graves:
https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... raves/1748

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:58 am

Looking forward to being at PR for the third home game in a row. I booked my tickets ages ago, but my dad got his this week and I was shocked as basically there was no pairs of seats left on any stand - other than restricted view seats.

Club have said 25k sold but it looks more than that to me, I guess the cheap membership tickets have helped too. Got My pair for just £20 and my dad got his pair for £15 as he is a senior.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:31 am

Wouldn’t be surprised to see something like 27-28k there on the day shabba….. it’s winding up now isn’t it .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:43 am
marko69 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:39 am

Hey marko, have you heard of a heavy metal band “ Cradle of Filth”?

I only learned recently my estranged ( haven’t seen him since he was about 8 yrs old), cousin was bass guitarist for them. A far cry from the timid little boy I remember lol!

His stage name is Robin Graves but his real name is Robin Eaglestone .

https://yourlastrites.com/2019/02/28/di ... ade-flesh/

Robin Graves:
https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... raves/1748
Definitely heard of them, Hallam. They were in Glasgow pre-covid,…….. but defo not my thing. That whole “Death Metal” scene has never been my cup o tea. Went to see Slayer in 86…… vowed, NEVER again. :lol:
But COF are sort of huge in the genre. Well done your cousin. Great stuff 👍👌👏👏👏👏
I’ll pm you my Slayer experience……., not really forum material or Ipswich v Shrewsbury material……. Although you never know……. Shropshire looks dodgy! :lol:
Joking!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:13 pm

More good news, Kieran McKenna names the same starting XI who defeated Bolton last weekend.

The only change to the matchday squad sees Kane Vincent-Young return to the bench in place of Janoi Donacien.

Only surprise for me is George Hirst keeping Freddie on the bench but at least we’re getting consistency and recognition we do have a strongest starting X1.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:11 pm

Plymouth already 1-0 up

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:14 pm

Fleetwood!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:22 pm

1-0 Mr Hirst

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:23 pm

I guess that’s why George Hirst us ahead of Ladapo, great assist from Wes Burns ⚽️

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:24 pm

Same as last week, Mike and myself have said all along that Hirst is rubbish.😂😂😂

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:31 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:24 pm
Same as last week, Mike and myself have said all along that Hirst is rubbish.😂😂😂
He’s not my favourite but you can’t fault his last two goals that’s for sure. 👍

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:35 pm

Derby 2 down now at home to Fleetwood. What's going on?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:39 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:35 pm
Derby 2 down now at home to Fleetwood. What's going on?
Scott Brown. The next Sir Eck!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:39 pm

Derby 0-2 Fleetwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:45 pm

You guys talking about confusion on the other thread. How about Bolton scoring for Plymouth. Now thats confusing.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:56 pm

Well that was a very good first from Town but only one goal to show for it and Shrewsbury still in it.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:57 pm

Town dominant in the first half good goal should of had another. Shrewsbury have had there moments. We definitely need a 2nd to calm the nerves. We could do with speeding the passes up, build up can be a bit lethargic.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:04 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:45 pm
You guys talking about confusion on the other thread. How about Bolton scoring for Plymouth. Now thats confusing.
Celtic 0 -1 Hibs ( hope you’re watching that one Marko )

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:07 pm

Sportsound on Radio Scotland.

Glasgow refs doing their best......., 8 minutes added on before HT.

Whatever happens second half ----->> Aberdeen thumping the Hertz cants makes it a very good day.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:09 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:07 pm
Sportsound on Radio Scotland.

Glasgow refs doing their best......., 8 minutes added on before HT.

Whatever happens second half ----->> Aberdeen thumping the Hertz cants makes it a very good day.
There is Hibs TV, Charnwood but I do not subscribe to it. Cannot abide the commentary on it. The "Open All Mikes" on Radio Scotland is always entertaining.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:09 pm

Plymouth 2-0 up now !

But in truth I guess that’s expected agsinst Forest Green Rovers.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:16 pm

There you go Charnwood......, Celtic penalty within 2 minutes...... 1-1.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:17 pm

:D 2-0 to Ipswich

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:18 pm

Luongo first goal for town since 2012 ⚽️

2-0 Town ⚽️

What an acquisition he’d proved to be. 👏