League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we keep winning?

Ipswich Win
93%
Shrewsbury Win
No votes
Draw
7%

Total votes: 14

Cabanas Blue

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:18 pm

Well taken goal.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:51 pm

Bugger Barnsley goal

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:55 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:51 pm
Bugger Barnsley goal
Shame, but we do have far superior goal difference

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:58 pm

Think I would of taken Sam Morsy off, This Ref sounds terrible

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:06 pm

Good win shame about Barnsley winning it's going to be a long two weeks, I don't like international breaks.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:08 pm

Great win, Shrewsbury are no mugs. Glad no decisions effected the outcome of the game by the referee, He sounded quite bad

Onwards and upwards lads

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:09 pm

Comfortable 3pts in the end for Town. Solid performance. Clean sheet again. Unfortunately other results did not go are way.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:26 pm

So so good today, the link up play, movement at speed and intricate interchanging of passes was superb, probably the best I've seen this season. They had a couple of moments as in any game but by and large we were in complete control.

Six on the spin and Seven clean sheets in a row is quite something, we really are hitting some top form at just the right time. Never expected Plymouth to slip up today but harder days to come for them, its very much on.

Some excellent performances again with Morsy and Luongo so good, the latter has proved me wrong, he's an excellent signing, Morsy is just majestic and now free of any suspension issues. For me though Harry Clarke was MOTM, excellent throughout and linked up with Burns so well, drove forward when able and defended solidly, in truth though every player did their bit, what a unit we are at the moment.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:51 pm

100% agree ^^^^^^

We turned in an absolutely stunning performance today. I can’t say I’ve seen a Town play that kind of pure football and the quality passing display since frankly, the 80/81 team. I can’t pay a big enough tribute to that side today.

We just want bloody Plymouth to drop points please …..🙏

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:08 pm

Superb performance today. Thought Morsy and Luongo were different gravy. All credit to Hirst as well, really making me eat my words at the moment, longmay it’s continue.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:16 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:08 pm
Superb performance today. Thought Morsy and Luongo were different gravy. All credit to Hirst as well, really making me eat my words at the moment, longmay it’s continue.
That transfer business in January was brilliant. All those players are making an impact. Hopefully, not too late for us to make a late run. But Luongo and Morsy.... I think those two together hroughout the whole season and we'd be top. Those two make a difference in both attack and defence. The defence looks much more assured with those two in front of them.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:31 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:26 pm
So so good today, the link up play, movement at speed and intricate interchanging of passes was superb, probably the best I've seen this season. They had a couple of moments as in any game but by and large we were in complete control.

Six on the spin and Seven clean sheets in a row is quite something, we really are hitting some top form at just the right time. Never expected Plymouth to slip up today but harder days to come for them, its very much on.

Some excellent performances again with Morsy and Luongo so good, the latter has proved me wrong, he's an excellent signing, Morsy is just majestic and now free of any suspension issues. For me though Harry Clarke was MOTM, excellent throughout and linked up with Burns so well, drove forward when able and defended solidly, in truth though every player did their bit, what a unit we are at the moment.
This sums it up perfectly. Great performance and now 2 weeks to het rested, practice some moves and make sure we do to Derby what Fleetwood did to them. Oh and we can watch the others next weekend and just hope they slip up!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:18 pm

All excellent posts above ……. Great to read. 👌👍

Hopefully the Tractor Rolls On to automatic promotion come May.
COYB’s.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:26 pm

Spot on, we were superb for much of the game. Is his wee started the season - crisp passes, excellent first touches, quick moment. Regardless of what happens, we are not a league one side playing like that.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:28 pm

I firmly believe if , WHEN we are promoted , that we will take the championship by storm. We are playing such good football and have such quality in the squad ( which will be further improved by Gamechanger), that I can see back to back promotions .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:41 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:28 pm
I firmly believe if , WHEN we are promoted , that we will take the championship by storm. We are playing such good football and have such quality in the squad ( which will be further improved by Gamechanger), that I can see back to back promotions .
Yes......, but......., look at Burnley. 13 points clear at the top........ annihilated 6-0 by Citeh.

Ipswich Town have been waaaaaay too long away from the top flight. Regular large pumpings would be extremely demoralising. Championship for a few years at best I personally hope......., then build for the EPL, (like Brentford)......., back 2 back promos wouldn't be beneficial in my humble opinion.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:17 pm

TOTALLY agree with you BlueMike, Clarke was immense today.

Great team performance, took my wife for the first time today and even she noted how hard the players work for each other, and nobody was getting angry - just took care of business - such a professional display.

Really pleased, and I thought the crowd were good today too.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:16 pm

Steve wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:55 pm
JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:51 pm
Bugger Barnsley goal
Shame, but we do have far superior goal difference
Yeah, it's nice that whatever happens to the other teams in March we will go into April still third.

Going to be watching the scores on Tuesday. Obviously hoping for an Accrington win but not sure of the ideal result Barnsley v Sheff W.

And when April rolls around Derby away is looking tough but definitely winnable.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:34 pm

shabba wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:17 pm

Great team performance, took my wife for the first time today and even she noted how hard the players work for each other, and nobody was getting angry - just took care of business - such a professional display.

I thought today how easy it was for us - Blair buy them playing 11 men behind the ball admittedly - but people move into space. They want the ball. That is so important.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:53 pm

Bottom line, this IS a promotion team. If we don't - and you got to entertain the eventualities - it'd be a travesty if this club name isn't promoted out of this league by end of season. Are we actually better than SWFC or Plymouth, the league don't lie but sometimes you do ask the question.

Got what we needed today. A win, no goals let in. Plymouth and Barnsley winning was for want of better words, "disappointing" but this promotion objective was never going to be easy. What's going at Derby County, do they want another season in this sh*t league or what.

Walton seemed to do well again today. Recovered his form after some previous misadventures and made at least one outstanding stop. First goal came at 15 minutes, was 60 seconds out from a correct prediction but winning the game is more important that winning points in a prediction league.

Good crowd, Shrewsbury only brought a handful but it's some trip from the Welsh borders to the East side of the UK so guess respect to those that traveled. I would rather carry this momentum on than being halted buy some bullshit round of internationals coming up, it's just something the club doesn't need but at least we're really going for it this time. I don't fear anyone in the remaining league fixtures. We're not going to win them all but there's some real favorable games in there where three points seems readably available.

Simple math, if other teams slip up and we continue to win, the team will get a promotion. Just seems ridiculous to doubt it.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:42 am

Another clean sheet! COYB!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:14 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:41 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:28 pm
Yes......, but......., look at Burnley. 13 points clear at the top........ annihilated 6-0 by Citeh.

Ipswich Town have been waaaaaay too long away from the top flight. Regular large pumpings would be extremely demoralising. Championship for a few years at best I personally hope......., then build for the EPL, (like Brentford)......., back 2 back promos wouldn't be beneficial in my humble opinion.

I think any club will potentially be stuffed by Man City, even PL teams, so not a fair comparison in my view. Man City don’t represent the rest of the PL in my view.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:38 am

Its more about Burnley, not Man City.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:43 pm

Ah I see, ok.

Thing is if we get promoted this squad so t remain the same as it is now I doubt. We’ll target even better players that can deal with championship ( and higher). It’ll be a constant development process won’t it.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:56 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:34 pm
shabba wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:17 pm

I thought today how easy it was for us - Blair buy them playing 11 men behind the ball admittedly - but people move into space. They want the ball. That is so important.
I like the thing about wanting the ball.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:24 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:43 pm
Ah I see, ok.

Thing is if we get promoted this squad so t remain the same as it is now I doubt. We’ll target even better players that can deal with championship ( and higher). It’ll be a constant development process won’t it.
It certainly will ——->> in the championship, like Luton & Coventry are striving at and what Brentford achieved.

Back 2 Back promotions & ITFC in the EPL in season 24/25 ——>> Disaster area.
Unless of course Gamechanger cash in to someone from the UAE :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:15 pm

I get what you’re saying and to a degree, agree. But Gamechanger are serious financial backers. When we get promoted to the Championship I wouldn’t be surprised to see them up their financial backing accordingly …. The infrastructure is in place now. It’s just readjust snd development of the playing staff as we progress, and that includes the Academy.