New manager

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

goldandblack

Re: New manager

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:25 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:02 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:46 pm
Ricco wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:28 pm

If I remember correctly I supported him until the end and didn't want him gone until he made his position untenable by confronting fans. Don't even blame him for that either, I'd reach the end of my tether at some, likely sooner!!

I've even positively remarked on his abilities as a manager, many times since. It was part of my issue with it all, his ability to get results with a crap team hid the fact the team was so crap! That's why I think his tenure was so damaging, because it allowed the woeful owner to get away we destroying the club for too long for it to recover and stay in the second division.

I will happily however trash him as arrogant. He see's himself as a managing god and his actions at other positions and his comments towards Town since have been incredibly distasteful

its more to do with him coming from Yorkshire than just being arrogant Ricco, "Say and do what they believe is right" not a bad thing to live by, and in the case of ALL football fans, " Give as good as you take" that thug Roy Keane got on the end of Micks beliefs and lost,
One of my best friends from Barnsley knew MM from his playing days their and said he was always straight to the point and not one to back down, but as honest as the day is long.
I will forever be thankful for what he did for us,
As will I towards George Burley, but he was an effing disaster everywhere he went afterwards :lol: And those fans are entitled to criticise the hell out of him, even if it would sadden me somewhat to see. That's football. MM and GB know that.

I respect that style of management, however if he were more honest with the owner or fans about the state of the club, then things may have changed for the better sooner, and the last 5 years or so may not have been so dire. In my opinion he kept quiet because his pay checks continued to roll in and he cared more about that than the club.
but its not the managers job to discuss the "state of the club to the fans" that's all down to the owner, the manager is told the budget and that's his responsibility to sign players within than budget,

As I've said before MM was contacted by your owner to come down to Ipswich and help keep them from relegation, he had players on loan who were sent there by other managers who knew Micks great coaching abilities, otherwise they wouldn't have been there,

In the end all he got was a load of grief from fans who then cried on their rusks when he gave it back,

On your view on Pay and money. he was offered a job managing a Nation team in the Middle East during his last days at the Wolves, he turned that down to help us survive, , so your idea of his only motive in life is money goes up in smoke aye, he was offered treble the wages over there.

I agree George Burley was a great coach and deserves a lot of respect, a great coach doesn't turn bad for no reason, I always look at who runs the clubs he coached afterwards,

great debate and discussions Ricco, respect,
Last edited by goldandblack on Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:47 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:25 pm
Ricco wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

its more to do with him coming from Yorkshire than just being arrogant Ricco, "Say and do what they believe is right" not a bad thing to live by, and in the case of ALL football fans, " Give as good as you take" that thug Roy Keane got on the end of Micks beliefs and lost,
One of my best friends from Barnsley knew MM from his playing days their and said he was always straight to the point and not one to back down, but as honest as the day is long.
As will I towards George Burley, but he was an effing disaster everywhere he went afterwards :lol: And those fans are entitled to criticise the hell out of him, even if it would sadden me somewhat to see. That's football. MM and GB know that.

I respect that style of management, however if he were more honest with the owner or fans about the state of the club, then things may have changed for the better sooner, and the last 5 years or so may not have been so dire. In my opinion he kept quiet because his pay checks continued to roll in and he cared more about that than the club.
but its not the managers job to discuss the "state of the club to the fans" that's all down to the owner, the manager is told the budget and that's his responsibility to sign players within than budget,

As I've said before MM was contacted by your owner to come down to Ipswich and help keep them from relegation, he had players on loan who were sent there by other managers who knew Micks great coaching abilities, otherwise they wouldn't have been there,

In the end all he got was a load of grief from fans who then cried on their rusks when he gave it back,

I agree George Burley was a great coach and deserves a lot of respect, a great coach doesn't turn bad for no reason, I always look at who runs the clubs he coached afterwards,

I do understand that, you are quite right, if you removed emotion for the equation, I'd probably agree with you completely. But at the end of the day, this club went through a hideous time under Evans and the fans are going to have to release that hurt. Most, if not all should be aimed at Evans, but McCarthy played a part.

Perhaps it's not his job to voice his opinion publicly, but pretty much every manager since has, it seems they've all been shocked at the state of things whilst at the club. McCarthy had more respect than those managers combined, had he said something about the state of things, I would have sat up and payed attention, and I think that would apply to tens of thousands of other supporters too. I wish he had if nothing else and for that I'm bitter.

I'm sure you're right, you've always been fair and reasoned, but with the amount of negative emotion I accrued through that period, I'm just not going to be able to agree with you :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:09 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:47 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:25 pm
Ricco wrote:

I do understand that, you are quite right, if you removed emotion for the equation, I'd probably agree with you completely. But at the end of the day, this club went through a hideous time under Evans and the fans are going to have to release that hurt. Most, if not all should be aimed at Evans, but McCarthy played a part.

Perhaps it's not his job to voice his opinion publicly, but pretty much every manager since has, it seems they've all been shocked at the state of things whilst at the club. McCarthy had more respect than those managers combined, had he said something about the state of things, I would have sat up and payed attention, and I think that would apply to tens of thousands of other supporters too. I wish he had if nothing else and for that I'm bitter.

I'm sure you're right, you've always been fair and reasoned, but with the amount of negative emotion I accrued through that period, I'm just not going to be able to agree with you :lol:
Another way of looking at it , I have a lot more respect for a manager that doesn't blame all and sundry for a clubs decline,
shows a bit of class that,
Always remember down at the Mol under MM. it was Wolves v the Tesco bags in the FA Cup, the club gave the whole of the Wolves South Bank to the enemy. (this is the end the real fans stand/sit,) Word on the street was at the end after we had lost the owner came into the changing room and gave the players some stick,
MM told him to F,,k Off and go and apologise to the fans for disrespecting them before talking crap to his players.

https://universityofsunderland.shorthan ... index.html

Ricco you don't have to agree with me, but you were correct in saying "I'm sure you're right"
:D

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:16 pm

Ricco wrote:
goldandblack wrote:
Ricco wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:28 pm

If I remember correctly I supported him until the end and didn't want him gone until he made his position untenable by confronting fans. Don't even blame him for that either, I'd reach the end of my tether at some, likely sooner!!

I've even positively remarked on his abilities as a manager, many times since. It was part of my issue with it all, his ability to get results with a crap team hid the fact the team was so crap! That's why I think his tenure was so damaging, because it allowed the woeful owner to get away we destroying the club for too long for it to recover and stay in the second division.

I will happily however trash him as arrogant. He see's himself as a managing god and his actions at other positions and his comments towards Town since have been incredibly distasteful

well I know an ex top level pro who played under George Burley, not at Ipswich and said he was an outstanding manager and I'd back his opinion all day long as he played under some of the best.
George was top drawer but I think there were unfortunately other issues that may have hindered him in the end.
I get your invested emotion bit though.

I always found this a great insight into what McCarthy went through at Town

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... t-the-club

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:44 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:16 pm
Ricco wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

well I know an ex top level pro who played under George Burley, not at Ipswich and said he was an outstanding manager and I'd back his opinion all day long as he played under some of the best.
George was top drawer but I think there were unfortunately other issues that may have hindered him in the end.

Valleyroad As i said, great / good Managers don't become bad / useless overnight, there is always a reason. and that link is a great read and interesting , Thanks for posting it,

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:49 pm

Yes, that 5-point-plan always sounded like wind & pish.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:49 pm
Yes, that 5-point-plan always sounded like wind & pish.
how many great 5 year plans have our great clubs heard over the years Marko

If these new owners appoint a new manager and then say we have a five year plan to reach the top, why then give that same manager just a 3 yr contract.
our latest 5 year plan went well for 3 yrs, so they sack the manager (Nuno) and now its a ten year plan,
I've lived through so many five year plans i must be 120 yrs old now :?
Last edited by goldandblack on Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:07 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:09 pm
Ricco you don't have to agree with me, but you were correct in saying "I'm sure you're right"
Yeah, but I'm nearly always wrong, so that admission isn't worth the screen it's displayed on (or whatever the modern equivalent of that phrase is :lol:)

Valleyroad, yeah it's fair, he was working in an awful environment, that's certainly true, he didn't start the rot, if anything he slowed it, but I felt he could have done more to highlight it, perhaps I'm wrong in thinking that too.

Out of interest, I don't suppose you have much opinion on what McCarthy has done since Town GnB? I don't suppose he's really been anywhere long enough to judge. I'm not sure Blackpool is a good match for him either, but time will tell.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:12 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:07 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:09 pm
Yeah, but I'm nearly always wrong, so that admission isn't worth the screen it's displayed on (or whatever the modern equivalent of that phrase is :lol:)

Valleyroad, yeah it's fair, he was working in an awful environment, that's certainly true, he didn't start the rot, if anything he slowed it, but I felt he could have done more to highlight it, perhaps I'm wrong in thinking that too.

Out of interest, I don't suppose you have much opinion on what McCarthy has done since Town GnB? I don't suppose he's really been anywhere long enough to judge. I'm not sure Blackpool is a good match for him either, but time will tell.
me too mate,
Well the useless MM was so bad they made him the Ireland National team manager again, in place of Thug Keane :wink:
think he had a spell abroad then finished up in Cardiff,

haven't really took much notice of what he's been up to except the Republic job,

The days of the MM, Big Sam, etc etc have long gone now with all these Johny come lately foreigners managing our clubs.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:25 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:12 pm
The days of the MM, Big Sam, etc etc have long gone now with all these Johny come lately foreigners managing our clubs.
Kieron was certainly "The New Kid In Town"....

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:31 pm

goldandblack wrote:
You're not wrong there, I don't recognise half the managers in the Prem these days, such a turnover too. The 90s was pretty special time to grow up for managerial character, we'll never see that sort of thing again.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:44 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:31 pm
goldandblack wrote:
You're not wrong there, I don't recognise half the managers in the Prem these days, such a turnover too. The 90s was pretty special time to grow up for managerial character, we'll never see that sort of thing again.
we are lucky if they even speak English, trouble today is these players are millionaires the day they sign the contract, if they don't like the managers ways he's gone,
The likes of Big Sam, MM, Warnock, didn't take prisoners and paid the price,

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:29 am

Just a reminder the name of the thread is New Manager, not Crusty Old Manager! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:26 am

Regardless of how much of a stubborn git he was (in the opinion of many)….. and how boring his style was etc etc etc…… he STILL warned the fans to “be careful”……. Like i say, regardless of the other stuff, i’ll always hold him higher for those wise words alone. He knew Mevans was too busy with other illegal dealings whilst also knowing the “state” of the club wouldn’t survive in L1.
Yep ——->> stubborn
But ——->> wise stubborn.

Back to new manager chat……. IF deja vu happens and ITFC fail @ MKD after a 4-0 win…….., Ian Holloway? :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:42 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:16 pm
Ricco wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

Another National team manager who had managed the Town. I can count 4, and one assistant manager/coach ?
Wasn’t Craig Burley of Chelsea related to George somewhere along the lines?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:03 pm

Craig is Georges nephew

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:24 pm

Unstuck this for now........, it is a bit negative leading up to the MKD game......., can stick again if things start to go mams north and fans start calling for the head of Kieron on a platter.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:55 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:24 pm
Unstuck this for now...….., it is a bit negative leading up to the MKD game...…., can stick again if things start to go mams north and fans start calling for the head of Kieron on a platter.
probably needs an older head with him, he comes across as a good coach, Think Kenny Jacket is available. Or Big Sam perhaps,

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:36 pm

Man this thread is hilarious from 2 months ago.

You feckin knee jerk tw@ts! :lol:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:44 pm

Should have brought in some defenders in January to sort out the useless defence too. Awful.

All my moaning about McCarthy being a tw*t is still bang on though :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:59 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:44 pm
Should have brought in some defenders in January to sort out the useless defence too. Awful.
Yep, 8 clean sheets later :lol:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:20 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:59 pm
Ricco wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:44 pm
Yep, 8 clean sheets later :lol:
Piffle, they've gotten lucky :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:20 pm

But the fact is we have been playing catch up and still guaranteed nothing due to the antics of swapping and changing the side and our failure to defend against crap sides, its easy to be smart and smug now but back then we were pissing it up.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:25 pm

But its also easy saying that too surely?? (Cue Airplane! quote)
Maybe he was striving to find the formula and he’s succeeded?
Maybe he HAD found the formula months ago but with the “”36 shots 1 on target”” crew were f**king it up?
But now ….. AFTER the tinkering, both defence & attack are now in sync……. BOTH had to be sorted.

Sorry, just cannot be in the camp where blame was solely on one area……. The young manager knew this and hes sorting it…… with club records as well.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:40 pm

It could be he's found the formula Marko, it's absolutely no coincidence though that the tinkering has stopped, it can't possibly have helped and as such we should be in a better position than we are. That said now is a time to celebrate and believe, what's gone is gone ad KM is doing an incredible job right now.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:49 pm

Just a thought, but without the chopping and changing we may not have got to where we are now as we may not have identified the gaps that needed filling in the January Transfer window.

Hirst, Broadhead, Clarke and Luongo were 4 good additions that pretty much completed the jigsaw.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:13 pm

Quite possibly, we clearly needed defensive additions so Clarke was a no brainer while Humphreys was struggling and Evans injured so despite me not being overly impressed with the Luongo signing it was good business, Broadhead at this level is a fab signing and Hirst is now scoring regularly so who can argue with the January business, it could be you have a point and KM is a genius, we've still got to get over the line though or its failure and all counts for nothing. Personally I still think we can be champions.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:45 pm

I did have a thought today that a lot of that rotation could have him been bedding in new players, while not pissing off the existing players too much and creating an unhappy dressing room. Most of the new players were also short of game time this season and needed time to get up to speed.

All seems to have gone ok and while I feel a little sorry for Donacien, Ladapo and a few others, it seems they've taken it well and continue to work.

One downside is huge squad again now! And we'll have to bring in even more if we're promoted. There are worse problems to have!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:07 am

Ah, you’ve seen the light! :lol:

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:42 am

mendipblue wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:48 pm
What you seem to forget he has been a manager for just over a year. That is a lot different to Being a coach under a manager.Can any of you on here say in your first year in a new job everything went smoothly? Also KMck does not shoot, pass, head or tackle. Its the failure of individual players missing chances gifting goals and getting injured that has put us in this situation. The only thing I wish KMck would not do is rotate in form players. I believe we should back him and not call for him to be sacked.
I found this thread slightly harsh at the time as my comments above showed. There are few who should look at what they wrote then to what they are saying now. 🤔