Most overrated album

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

herforder

Re: Most overrated album

Post by herforder » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:30 pm

marko69 wrote:Noel Gallagher is an absolute genius. Wrote ALL the Oasis stuff on his own, and the vast majority is top quality music. The Beatles had Lennon & McCartney and almost half of it is sh*t. What they are responsible for is paving the way for the future of music, which they deserve all the credit that they still get. There'd no doubt be no Oasis without first being a Beatles...... But Oasis made it all 100 times better.

All of the above is opinion and no doubt all will disagree. I actually can't stand the Beatles, massively overrated pish and spending all my days voicing this opinion, I'm used to people thinking "I've lost my mind." Don't get me started on the Paul McCartney and Wings back catalogue. PISH
Absolute bollo**s!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Beatles fans only know that ^^^ response.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:34 pm

marko69 wrote:Beatles fans only know that ^^^ response.
Quite like some of the Beatles stuff but agree they are massively overrated in musical terms. Great innovators and trend setters but musically not brilliant. Their influence is probably more important than their actual music. I have couple of their albums.

Quite like some Oasis stuff but equally overrated as a lot of it is derivative. I have a couple of their albums.

As for McCartney & Wings... have to agree. All dire. The Beatles split served to indicate that Lennon was the creative, innovative one who took risks. McCartney has churned out sh*te ever since. Don't have any of his albums....

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:34 pm

I have an uncle who Herforder has reminded me of......., although Herford was a bit more to the point! :lol: My old uncle almost had a stroke when I told him the Beatles were sh*t! But I'm thinking maybe Herforder is saying bollocks to my Noel Gallagher "genius" reference, which is fair enough.

But seriously, regarding the Beatles being sh*t,..... drop it into conversation as an experiment when at a night out, ......., guarantee you, it can be worse than politics or religion! :lol:

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:54 pm

Spot on - all good opinion-dividing exchanges. Even more lively face-to-face and a few beers in the tank. (Can't agree with Andy though - vastly underrates their musical abilities, as composers and performers. Mind you, having George Martin twiddling their knobs helped a lot).

In the day, of course, it was Beatles v Stones; then Oasis v Blur - all entirely media driven.

But, like religion and sex, music divides, unites and excites! Come Together.

(Last Oasis snippet - Noel Gallagher dedicated his Wonderwall Album to George Harrison - who wrote and produced the music for that long-forgotten film. And Liam Gallagher was convinced he was reincarnation if J Lennon. Hey ho!)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:10 pm

I forgot to add that....... And if Only I had a pound coin for every time someone has said that.

Yes, the Gallagher brothers idolise the Beatles, but that only makes me thankful that they motivated Noel to be a singer/songwriter. (Although I think he'd have made it with or without the Beatles influence.) The only Oasis songs that can possibly be compared to the Beatles are the few borderline Shyte efforts from Liam. On the whole, Oasis are nothing like the Beatles.

And the Oasis v Blur thing........ That always confused the hell out of me. I liked Blur a lot, but they weren't in the same ballpark as Oasis. Not even close.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:29 pm

Apples and Pears! Best to appreciate each for their uniqueness and what they gave; who really has the right or wisdom to judge best in breed?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:32 pm

herforder wrote:who really has the right or wisdom to judge best in breed?
My ears! :D

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:06 pm

marko69 wrote:
herforder wrote:who really has the right or wisdom to judge best in breed?
My ears! :D
Presumably both made of tin! :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:32 pm

Well the Edinburgh Playhouse "80's years" certainly gave them "tin"itus!

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:56 pm

[quote="marko69"]Well the Edinburgh Playhouse "80's years" certainly gave them "tin"itus![/quote

Concerts in Glasgow's Kelvin Hall and Barrowlands had the same effect - many moons ago! Pass that deaf aid, nurse.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Must admit, the Barrowlands??? Awesome for a bounce.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:26 am

Andym wrote:
number 9 wrote:Wow Andy, I have to admit I only recognize a couple of the artists you listed. I've led a sheltered life. :lol: Most of my music collection is now hidden in a bottom draw, but here's what I have on my iPhone. It's not the greatest collection, but you may like a few of them.

Velvet Underground: The Fully Loaded Edition
The Doors: The Very Best of the Doors
Crosby, Stills and Nash: Deja Vu
Brian Eno: Apollo-Atmospheres and Soundtracks
The Clientele: Bonfires on the Heath
Elbow: Cast of Thousands
Kurt Vile: Smoke Ring for my Halo
Modest Mouse: We Were Dead Before the Ship Ever Sank
My Morning Jacket: Circuital
Peter Gabriel: Shaking the Tree
One Eskimo: One Eskimo
Radiohead: The King of Limbs, In Rainbows, Amnesiac, OK Computer, The Bends
David Bowie: Let's Dance
Mumford & Sons: Sigh No More
Arcade Fire: The Suburbs
Baaba Maal: Television
Somogyi: Hopeless Romantic

I'm an old man of 62 and my musical taste reflects that I guess. I think I have about 2000 vinyl albums and a similar number of CDs. I've highlighted the ones I have in my collection. I confess I gave up on Radiohead after OK Computer which I thought wasn't anywhere near as good as The Bends.
Is
How can you not like In Rainbows? I've decided tractor-boys.com is not for me. No, it's ok it's me. I hope ITFC recovers...I won't be posted here much more. Take care everyone!

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:56 am

number 9 wrote: How can you not like In Rainbows? I've decided tractor-boys.com is not for me. No, it's ok it's me. I hope ITFC recovers...I won't be posted here much more. Take care everyone!
Have to confess I don't rrally know it. I have their first 3 but lost touch. I'll give it a listen.

I hope you reconsider. I've had times when I've got peed off with it all and disappeared for a while. The biggest problem with TB is the lack of regular posters. I'd hate to see another one go.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:31 am

Andym wrote:
number 9 wrote: How can you not like In Rainbows? I've decided tractor-boys.com is not for me. No, it's ok it's me. I hope ITFC recovers...I won't be posted here much more. Take care everyone!
Have to confess I don't rrally know it. I have their first 3 but lost touch. I'll give it a listen.

I hope you reconsider. I've had times when I've got peed off with it all and disappeared for a while. The biggest problem with TB is the lack of regular posters. I'd hate to see another one go.
No worries, mate. I just had a bad day. I'll be back...but not until MM GETS HIS FINGER OUT.

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:31 pm

This has been an awesome read chaps, I'm a devoted Bowie fan, allegedly got 18 of his albums according to iPhone, but I think a best of has been spread across the albums the songs came from - it'd be 10+ though. I get people not getting him, but as a young'un having bought my first ever album (in 1995..Red Hot Chilli Peppers One Hot Minute...on cassette) I was listening to...let's call it funkier stuff, and a song like Fame sounded like that - but this Bowie's voice was a hell of a lot better, but he didn't sing "nicely" all the time. Sounded very different to what was going around, and I knew a few of the more famous guitar riffs. The rest is history.

There are a few "guess you had to be there" moments, I've listened to the Smiths and gone....????. Yeah and..?? I can see the music you spawned, but having heard all that the original doesn't do it for me at all.

Peter Gabriel is overrated for me - almost McCarthyesque fall from apparent creative genius to....
Like Phil Collins he seemed to drop the early Genesis edgy progy stuff, and other than the odd track it's boring (bought his best of...a mistake.) Although I like Phil, he got thrashed by my folks when I was young - as did Genesis, so I think it's Stockholm Syndrome. Certainly some very overdone ballads there, but I like some of his solo stuff.

And as luck would have it a Guns n' Roses email flyer just hit my inbox...some good stuff, but most of it crap. And November Rain summarises everything wrong with late 80's / early 90's glam/hair/metal weirdness.

Kanye West...don't get him at all. Not one of hip-hops bigger fans at all, but some of it makes some sort of sense. Not a Jay-Z / Beyonce fan - but something like Crazy in Love is disgustingly catchy, but Kanye...meh..

Bruce Springsteen, don't get the adoration, 5 good songs for sure, but not a musical demi-god filling stadiums years later?!?

Used to really like U2, I go back to them every now again, but they have faded badly.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Well I'm a massive PF fan. Love their music.
I've had the privilege of seeing Queen live in the mid 80's before FM got ill - awesome band.

I also love David Bowie and George Micheal, (fabulous voice)!

Although too young to have listened to The "Fab Four" I have got a lot of their music, ( my uncle who is in his mid 70's), had all their music and put it on "tape" for me.....still got em and know a lot of the words to many if their songs for some reason.

Fav Albums.

Dark Side if The Moon
Another Brick in the Wall
Wish You Were Here

Night at the Opera
Patience

Current music?
Any Ed Sheeran

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:18 pm

That makes sense now, the other week at a game I remember you shouting "FFS McCarthy, we need another pr*ck in the wall"

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:01 pm

PMSL.... you don't get any better do you :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:59 am

Do you make "great gig in the sky" noises when Mick makes a substitution, Hallam?

"Oh, oh, oh....., Ah AHHHHHH, ahhhhh, ya aaaaaa, aaaaaa, Ahhhhhh, AHHHHH, HAAAAAAAAAA, AAAAYA , YA, AAAAAYA, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH