Brentford dark horses

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Brentford dark horses

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:43 am

For the drop? They appear to be dropping like a stone down the table!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/

JohnnyB

Re: Brentford dark horses

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:07 am

Bolton-Brentford-Millwall currently 500-1 with skybet...

Brentford 33-1

We’re currently 1-4 :?

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... relegation

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:22 am

Losing Dean Smith was a huge blow, I actually talk to a woman in the local shop who has relations that are Brentford season ticket holders and trust me she says they are fearing the worst atm.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:15 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:22 am
Losing Dean Smith was a huge blow, I actually talk to a woman in the local shop who has relations that are Brentford season ticket holders and trust me she says they are fearing the worst atm.
I remember when he left a lot of their fans saying for them with the model they have it doesn’t matter who the manager is. Turns out they are missing dean smith terribly. No sign of turning it round either

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:33 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:43 am

I don't think it will be long before they change the manager, maybe Paul Hurst? Well we can hope can't we.😎.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:08 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:33 am
hallamblue wrote:

I don't think it will be long before they change the manager, maybe Paul Hurst? Well we can hope can't we.😎.

Sadly Kerry there were quite a few on here who wished for Paul Hurst and look where that got us. I don’t honestly think we’ll ever see him in the Championship again, in my opinion his career will be restricted to the lower leagues where he’s already proved himself. As for Brentford they may well have to change their manager again after following Towns example of choosing a “cheapie option” to replace an experienced manager, this League is clearly not suited to managers without Championship experience or better. As for Dean Smith he’s proving his worth yet again at Aston Villa where he’s transformed their results with his attractive passing style of football and proved himself to be one of England’s very few decent football Managers.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:57 pm

Many won't care how Brentford perform. Sure they did well for a time and may have challenged the promotion places but it was always going to be a short lived venture. If they go down, if they somehow achieved a promotion, it won't have been of any benefit to anyone at this club. The name stands out for two main reasons and not much with it.

#1 Gained a memorable victory around this time of year maybe three or four years back and a 4 - 2 win. Remember the day well. Team had put together an impressive run and in or around the top two places. Believed at the time promotion was a given, it was almost a throwback to the Sir Robson era of some 30 + years previous. Unfortunately we fell away into the new year and were never able to recapture the standards of that time.

#2 A drinking establishment on all four corners of the stadium. Something unique in itself. Of course you got a major airport with it for good measure, mere things bestowed on an otherwise small insignificant club outfit that somehow brings things into greater prominence.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:08 am
Kerry Blue wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

Sadly Kerry there were quite a few on here who wished for Paul Hurst and look where that got us. I don’t honestly think we’ll ever see him in the Championship again, in my opinion his career will be restricted to the lower leagues where he’s already proved himself. As for Brentford they may well have to change their manager again after following Towns example of choosing a “cheapie option” to replace an experienced manager, this League is clearly not suited to managers without Championship experience or better. As for Dean Smith he’s proving his worth yet again at Aston Villa where he’s transformed their results with his attractive passing style of football and proved himself to be one of England’s very few decent football Managers.
I agree with all of that and I was also very happy at the time when Hurst was unveiled as our new Manager how wrong were we I only hope we can recover I'm sure we have a good chance now with the right Manager.⚽

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:15 pm

I never thought I would ever be happy with Paul Lambert as manager of ITFC, but after Paul Hurst I can honestly say I’m happy with his appointment and can’t possibly think of any one better suited given our current position.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:18 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:08 am
Kerry Blue wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

To be fair Dean Smith came into the Championship from League 1 without the necessary experience. When Paul Lambert did it with Norwich he hadn't been managing in this league. Nigel Clough has made the step up and done OK but is always going to struggle with a club like Burton. Some of the new managers like Lampard are doing OK albeit with a good budget, as is Darren Moore. I do take the point your making but I think it can be done in the right circumstances. Clearly in our case we got it wrong.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:14 pm

It wasn't just Hurst the issue, no budget, players leaving unexpectedly were just Two valid things which made his job even harder, yes he got a lot wrong but it's not as black and white as that, not for me anyway

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:46 pm

I think it is a question of momentum.

Had we gained that first win early on in Hurst's reign then the players would have been onboard and we wouldn't have gone into a more direct mode of play after only 4-5 games.

Basically Hurst didn't make it easy for himself when it was a marmite situation for the players:

Since players arent as stupid as we imagine. They can sniff a whiff of BS transfer policy which isn't designed to improve the team or improve the quality of their own ability during training. Only to increase bottom line profitability of the club (actually we in big debt, but don't know a word for it, debtability?)

If I was a player I would want to learn from other better players, not have to look after league one players for half a season at best.

The mix was incorrect and then to top it off, the club spend more money on those league one players than what we paid for Knudsen or Bart for example, so they likely on better wages too but what do they bring to training day in, day out. I'd be p*ssed.

So as soon as results dont go our way, it's a case of how long can the manager hold his nerve and stick to his philosophy. As we found out it was 5 games.

For Brentford the situation was different. The manager came in and the situation was not of his making and the board have a different relationship with the squad. So it was easier to swing the momentum back in the right direction with an early result.