Jose Mourinho

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

BLUEBLOOD

Jose Mourinho

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:47 am

Has left the club by mutual consent Manchester United have confirmed..

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Jose Mourinho

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:49 am

The blokes bloody nuts, he wouldnt be out of place on here !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:52 am

.. I bet most United fans will be celebrating, I know plenty of them and not met one who likes him. As for United I think their problems go far deeper than the manager and will take some time to sort out. Who’d believe Mourinho would be gone before the end date of David Moyes original contract. What a waste of money.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Was fired, they kicked his as* out. Not in a snide sense of course, sure it was amicable in terms of parting. Can see why he was appointed to begin with, in retrospect his resume speaks for itself but there's names tailored to some clubs, some that aren't.

Had a good win percentage in actual fact there but obviously not good enough for a team of their stature. Breaking point would have come with that Liverpool incident, that would have sent concerns into overdrive (a loss of that nature) and the directors acted accordingly. I don't mind him as an individual, sure he's a bit of a pompous-as* and sees itself as superior to some others but the achievements speak for themselves.

Since Ferguson stepped down some five years back they've never been able to regain previous stature. The Moyes debacle was an accident waiting to happen, obviously they went again with a much more established name that was proven but as before some names are destined to work at certain clubs, others are going to fail from day one. Will be interesting to see what becomes of him now and who the eventual successor proves to be.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Smart move. Jose isn't the right man for ManU. I'm not sure who is, but Mourinho's approach wasn't working with the players. Very curious to see who takes over.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:15 pm

Although he hasn’t won anything yet Mauricio Pochettino is the stand out replacement for José and would be a good fit with Manchester United. He oozes class, is successful and enjoys developing young players, plays attractive football, has no baggage, is deeply respectful, and avoids controversy. Has previously been linked with Real Madrid but would most likely be unable to turn down the chance of managing such a prestigious football club if an offer came his way.
It would be a sad day for Tottenham Hotspur if it happens, but I guess the say applied to Southampton back in 2014 when he left them to join Spurs. He would be hugely expensive for United to acquire have recently signed a new contract to tie him to White Hart Lane till 2023, but since when has a contract meant anything in football.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:34 pm

Mourinho is turning in to the person he used to slate to be honest, the master of failure. He can point to the Europa League and League Cup however the moment he claimed one of his best achievements was finishing 2nd to Man City last year is the moment he turned into Wenger who he used to openly criticize.

I have some sympathy with him in terms of how Man Utd is being run but he did spend around £400 million so it wasn't like he was given nothing, plus they have been paying some huge wages, more than Man City as Sanchez move showed. It cant be a coincidence he has now left Chelsea, Real Madrid and Man Utd under a cloud with players, it never seems to end well with him.

Great manager of his time and still a good manager I would say but when he starts pressing self destruct he just doesn't stop. He seems to lack skills to deal with modern footballers. Having seen the Pogba tweet today I would say as a Man Utd fan id be just as angry with him, what a tw*t. Id get rid of Pogba if I were then and I could claim a fair bit of the money back on him, bad apple.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:40 pm

I really hope Pocchetino stays at Spurs. They are about to move into a spanking new stadium and ,to my mind, are much more likely to win something at the moment than Man United who appear to be in a real mess. And why the hell should Man U always get their way. I know money talks but if he is tied to Spurs contractually until 2023 ,the mind boggles at what it would cost ManU to prise him away, let alone what they would have to pay him I salary.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:04 pm

I think it would be a huge mistake if Pochettino went to ManU. He's building something great at Spurs, and the team is almost there. They're competing for the title, and the Champions League...any success will bring substantial amounts of cash into the organization. I can see Spurs dominating in the future, if they play their cards right.

Pochettino would be starting over at ManU, and I'm not sure the Red Devil's faithful will have the patience for another reset. Besides, Pochettino is not the sort of manager to turn things around over night.

I know he hasn't had a lot of success in management, but I think Mark Hughes would be a good choice...at least for the rest of the season. Who knows, he may be able to bring the players together and to inject a little bit of pride and motivation. Hughes certainly knows the club through and through.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:09 pm

The truth is like him or not Jose Mourinho is one of the worlds top football managers, the trouble now is when you try and manage multi millionaires who's ego clash with that manager they stop playing for him,

Ferguson was a "one of" where he always held the whip hand, any player not on his and United's side were gone, Jose Mourinho didn't have that luxury.

Wish you well Jose Mourinho. perhaps joining the Wolves / Porto revolution one day.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:35 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:09 pm
The truth is like him or not Jose Mourinho is one of the worlds top football managers, the trouble now is when you try and manage multi millionaires who's ego clash with that manager they stop playing for him,

Ferguson was a "one of" where he always held the whip hand, any player not on his and United's side were gone, Jose Mourinho didn't have that luxury.
Yep, all of that is absolutely spot on.

Pogba is a proper c*nt. Wouldn’t tire kicking his f**king arse.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:18 am

I can’t believe he’s been given an £18m compensation payment ! Holy Moly what a Christmas Pressie 🎄

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:38 am

Latest reports suggest that former Red Norwegian Ole Gunnar Solskjaer may well be confirmed anytime soon as Man U’s interim manager.

He currently manages Norwegian Club Molde, but their 2018 season has finished for the winter and does not re-start until March.

I guess we’ll know pretty soon if this rumour is true with so many fixtures coming up between now and the New Year, the timing could certainly be good for the new man with three winable games in quick succession v Cardiff, Huddersfield, Bournemouth and Newcastle United.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:11 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:18 am
I can’t believe he’s been given an £18m compensation payment ! Holy Moly what a Christmas Pressie 🎄
Belligerently absurd. It's not as if he requires the pay-off. Think of the good that could do particularly this time of year to notable causes. Another example of a club set-up with more f**king money to play around with than sense. Board of directors there either insanely affluent or settled on a figure until Mourinho had his way. Bottom line it's a criminal sum of money to part with over one lousy dismissal.

Solskjaer makes sense as a temp, obviously held in high regard and scored goals that proved invaluable over time, but unable to view as a long-term solution. Whoever comes in has got to be of some fine caliber and / or substantial figure you can only imagine.

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:57 pm

TBH the whole situation started two or three years before Ferguson left.

That squad was under invested already. United had underspent in comparison to their rivals. And the biggest contract to sort out was Rooney's when Fergie left.

Somehow Fergie had managed to squeeze a few trophies out of that squad even with some relatively dodgy defenders (relative in terms of chasing titles). They relied on the brilliance of the attack and some extended careers of two very adaptable and quality midfielders in Scholes and Giggs.

Then Fergie leaves with David Gill and those players retire. And you have gaps everywhere which need filling.

The scene was set for Moyes to sell an ageing Rooney, who was looking at a huge contract to renew.

And then the transfer market blew up just at their most vulnerable time (or was it City pushed their financial advantage and pressed all transfer merry go rounds into the last minute of the transfer window, thereby driving up the price), together with Woodward's inexperience, they made many many disaster transfers.

And I would call their next chapter the chapter of Agent power. Effectively that club is now run by agents, feeding off the ripe breast of Woodwards inexperience.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:32 am

140 games with 85 wins. The average football club probably wouldn’t be too bothered with that return. Just shows the gulf between the top six in the EPL and every other club is just too huge. The English top league could be in grave danger of becoming extremely boring. Think that European league could the answer for all European countries....... Get the Man City’s, Barca’s, PSG’s, Bayern’s, Juve’s etc etc etc all into their own full season league.

Would anybody miss them?

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:36 am

I would miss some of the quality football we get to see from City, Arsenal, Liverpool...…. But I agree, the EPL is becoming very lop sided and any team outside the top 5 is really just trying not to get relegated.

How long before relegation is stopped!!!! They are discussing it in Rugby. Its all about money money money......

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:41 am

Blimey I really should back my hunches. I said at start of season he’d be gone before Christmas!

Not so sure about the caretaker manager though. Although the brains behind the football at that Club is really Mike Phelan.

So $60m question is , will Spurs lose their manager to Man Utd ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:42 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:32 am
140 games with 85 wins. The average football club probably wouldn’t be too bothered with that return. Just shows the gulf between the top six in the EPL and every other club is just too huge. The English top league could be in grave danger of becoming extremely boring. Think that European league could the answer for all European countries....... Get the Man City’s, Barca’s, PSG’s, Bayern’s, Juve’s etc etc etc all into their own full season league.

Would anybody miss them?

I’ve said this for years marko!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:43 am

nicscreamer wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:36 am
I would miss some of the quality football we get to see from City, Arsenal, Liverpool...…. But I agree, the EPL is becoming very lop sided and any team outside the top 5 is really just trying not to get relegated.

How long before relegation is stopped!!!! They are discussing it in Rugby. Its all about money money money......
Exactly! This is why I say Sky money has killed the game for the average fan in this Country.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:50 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:41 am
Blimey I really should back my hunches. I said at start of season he’d be gone before Christmas!

Not so sure about the caretaker manager though. Although the brains behind the football at that Club is really Mike Phelan.

So $60m question is , will Spurs lose their manager to Man Utd ?
Yes. I reckon the deal has already been set up

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:21 am

Now been charged by UEFA organization for abusive and insulting language towards an official following a loss in Wednesdays UEFA / Europa League Final.

Mourinho (60) directed a tirade of abuse in some parking lot after the game at match official Anthony Taylor. Mourinho had already been cautioned by Taylor during the contest in Hungary where his AS Roma team were defeated by record winners Seville following a penalty contest in which during regular and extra time the scores were tied. Both club names are looking at charges also relating to each fans behavior and conduct.

Two schools of thought here. Either applaud Mourinho in showing passion and opinion (he obviously felt he and his team were unfairly judged) or chalk it up to another ill-advised escapade from the Portugal coach. Kind of admire a manager like that, not afraid to voice opinion - they seem few and far between in today's game - but often on the verge of some level of controversy.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:10 am

He’s a great manager. He’s probably nearing the end of his career. Maybe it’s time to hang up the clipboard and earn a living as a tv pundit?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:26 am

He's a nut job, I hope they throw the book at him, his actions could have had serious repercussions for that Ref and his family, complete tosser.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:32 am

He’s your classic over paid, billy big Bollox, egotistical individual, that fills the game at the higher level. Who feel they are entitled to be heard, and entitled to be paid some kind of homage. He’s probably the worst of them all.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:12 am

Clough was one of the first examples of the above but people in general seemed to warm to it. Times are different from back in the 1970's but you can recall (some of a certain age) a time when Clough's Forest were on the verge of something great and the manager tooting horns left and right about his own achievements and how he had placed himself or were viewed on a plateau higher than those around him.

Mourinho isn't so much an arrogant-as*. Sure he figures himself more important than the next individual but the greater part is psychology. Psychology wins games, it wins leagues. Got to believe he realizes he's no better or worse than the next manager but he gets under people's skin, makes them go along or follow a path of self-righteous proclamations. Say one last time whether you're for the name or against it, he does possess a certain mystique / quality, but you shouldn't take the name in question too seriously.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:24 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:12 am
Mourinho isn't so much an arrogant-as*. Sure he figures himself more important than the next individual but the greater part is psychology. Psychology wins games, it wins leagues. Got to believe he realizes he's no better or worse than the next manager but he gets under people's skin, makes them go along or follow a path of self-righteous proclamations. Say one last time whether you're for the name or against it, he does possess a certain mystique / quality, but you shouldn't take the name in question too seriously.
You’ve nailed it with this, Saint. 👍👌

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:26 am
He's a nut job, I hope they throw the book at him, his actions could have had serious repercussions for that Ref and his family, complete tosser.
I agree, he is a nasty bit of stuff. Lost all respect for him when he criticised the ambulance service in Reading when Cech got his head injury. Even when it was proven his comments were wrong he wasn't big enough to admit his mistake.