PL'S APPROACH

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

derick_ipsw

PL'S APPROACH

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:25 am

Do you think PL should be shutting up shop and trying to get a point or even nicking a victory on the road instead of a going for it approach? Personally I thought he was a bit naive against QPR. We had cut the gap to 4 points adrift unbeaten in 2. A point would of been a good return instead of a confidence sapping 3-0 defeat.

Andym

Re: PL'S APPROACH

Post by Andym » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:29 am

I think in our position he has to go for the win. I think we were poor yesterday but we lost because we gave away some bad goals. The first was awful, the second was a result of giving away free kicks in a dangerous area and Pennington was turned too easily for the third. It doesn't matter his you set up, if you gift goals you will lose - particularly when you are incapable of creating a decent chance all game.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:23 pm

Go to win every game. We need to treat every game like it’s Sunday 5th May we are 1-0 down and need a draw to survive.

Although if yesterday was us going for it then I’m deeply concerned. One good passage of play in 90 minutes? Awful. Let’s hope it was an off day.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:52 pm

I take your point Derrick, but in all honesty I don't think we are capable of shutting-up shop. It was PL's tactics that saw us claw back e few points and as has been said already, we have to go all out for a win every time.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:16 pm

I know we need to win as many games as possible but maybe away from PR we could play 4-4-2 instead of 4-3-3.we are just to wide open when we give possession away.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:04 pm

The tentative approach with McCarthy went on too often for many's liking and if Lambert were to implement it now it's hard to see the points required come to pass with such deployed formation. Playing a 4-3-3 could work but who's reliable enough to accommodate any partnership.

Sears is a no doubt, perhaps Jackson or Lankester to join up also. Ward and Edwards, maybe Nolan. Yes they're effectively midfield units but I'd be prepared to attempt something different given the situation we're at. Bottom line the need for a reliable forward or two is paramount in the time ahead, therefore the next transfer window requires an addition to join the aforementioned names. Someone reliable, Sears is the best chance of goals right now, one player can't do it on their own.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:42 pm

Its a fair question but I am not sure I have the answer. I think PL is trying to get us to play our best against whatever comes our way and he will get some right and some wrong. As long as he is getting them to try as best they can, I will go with his judgement. In PL we have no option but to trust is my view!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:19 am

Frankly I think the odds against our survival are now severely stacked, “ against”!

There are so many areas that need addressing in the squad , it’s bloody scary. Where on earth does he start realistically?

To top it off he has to do all this miraculous work in just 4 weeks of hyper inflated prices and minimum player availability. A massive ask frankly.

This summer is when his work will really begin I feel - in preparation for league One. Can anyone REALLY see it going any other way? I can’t.

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:32 pm

I think he has the correct approach. It is always about defensive and attacking balance. You can also counter attack effectively if you defend and also 'defend' by pinning the opposition back by overloading certain areas.

If we only defended it would invite opposition to attack, and create even more pressure on our defence. Which to be honest isn't really solid enough. And the protection from the two central midfielders isn't enough. We are basically too inexperienced to be able to eek out 1-0 wins or nick a clean sheet.

It does seem like an uphill struggle, but so much can change with a couple of back to back results in this league, we can't give up and allow the players to rest on their laurels and feel beaten down. Lambert is experienced enough in this league and in general to know this and is giving us every chance to gain the momentum we need.

Let's lift them up! COYB

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:49 pm

To be honest with one win bringing equal points to three draws I think we have to go after the wins if it looks realistically achievable. Certainly our next two home games v Millwall and Rotherham have to be approached as winnable and six points from these two games would put us in the mix again and possibly take us off the bottom of the table.

All said above I’m struggling to see where we’re likely to pick up 40 points come the end of the season so barring a miracle 5 May 2019 could well be the day we’ve all been dreading. Let’s hope and pray this isn’t the case.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:08 am

I'd readily take an exit from the FA Cup if it meant six points from two league games in and around that time. It'll be nothing new (losing to inferior opposition within the earliest stages) and presume a great many feel apathy towards the competition anyhow.

The Rotherham game is easily the most important since the play-off event with Norwich a year or two back, it could make or break the entire season. If we can't beat them at home then we won't deserve to be of championship status you could argue. Millwall also - while an adequate team - should be overcome at Portman Road. The logic here is so simple, all we need do is be offensive and get at them from the off. Soon after new additions will require to come in, particularly a goalscorer that is reliable. 2 victories in 25 games speaks for itself, this sorry as* statistic has to improve otherwise as before we shall be starting out at the third level of English 'Football' by August.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:32 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:49 pm
To be honest with one win bringing equal points to three draws I think we have to go after the wins if it looks realistically achievable. Certainly our next two home games v Millwall and Rotherham have to be approached as winnable and six points from these two games would put us in the mix again and possibly take us off the bottom of the table.

All said above I’m struggling to see where we’re likely to pick up 40 points come the end of the season so barring a miracle 5 May 2019 could well be the day we’ve all been dreading. Let’s hope and pray this isn’t the case.
I think it will be confirmed well before that

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:25 am

I still think PL with his experience will bring in Better loan Players than what PH did, I think we will sneak a 19th place at the death to survive, then he can prepare for next season, and shift out about 12 current players to rebuild his own, :cry: :cry: I'll tell you what I am pissed off about is when I see Jack Marriot playing for Derby, scoring regularly and freely, and we F*****g gave him away like Jordan Rhodes, :evil: THIS HAS TO STOP, if we are to be a quality side again we must keep our young talent and build them with experience players like Sir Bobby did.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:33 pm

I sincerely hope that ME spends absolutely nothing on loans or signings in January.

Best policy, for me, is for everybody at the club to accept that we are going down. No point in throwing money at it.
Get all of our kids on loan back, and play the rest of this season using OUR players. Hopefully 4 months of Championship experience will enable us to get promoted back at the first attempt.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:08 pm

You do realize if or when the club falls into League One it could take maybe four, five years to regain second level status. I'd be doing everything in my power to avert such an instance i.e. get your f**king acts together and make a determined effort to move away from the end reaches of the league. For a collective acceptance of relegation even now is a real no-no. It's not as if we're that far adrift, why give up when there's still very much to fight for. Shame to learn of some giving up so readily.

Damn frustrating when you learn of other names such as McGoldrick (to name but one) we let go making a name for themselves at other club sides - which begs the question why weren't they able to hit it off here to begin with. Something seriously astray at this club, has been for some considerable time.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:28 am

saint jude wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:08 pm
You do realize if or when the club falls into League One it could take maybe four, five years to regain second level status. I'd be doing everything in my power to avert such an instance i.e. get your f**king acts together and make a determined effort to move away from the end reaches of the league. For a collective acceptance of relegation even now is a real no-no. It's not as if we're that far adrift, why give up when there's still very much to fight for. Shame to learn of some giving up so readily.

Damn frustrating when you learn of other names such as McGoldrick (to name but one) we let go making a name for themselves at other club sides - which begs the question why weren't they able to hit it off here to begin with. Something seriously astray at this club, has been for some considerable time.
If you think that we have any chance at all of rescuing the situation then I think you're seriously deluded.

FFS, we've only won 2 games thus far, why do you think things are suddenly going to change? Are you saying the players have not been trying so far, and that you expect them to suddenly string a winning run together? Do you seriously think we will be able to attract loans of Championship quality players?

We need to stop playing our loanees and give OUR young players 4 months solid experience of Championship football - at least then we would avoid the mass exodus that will inevitably happen when we are relegated and will give us the best chance of bouncing back.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:24 pm

I actually agree with u on this Rossi . I’d love to see our kids given time to gel. We lose every week anyway so what’s different !
Last edited by hallamblue on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:32 pm

Pissed very early this New years Eve Liz, LMFAO.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:48 pm

No I’m not it’s my sodding Iphone lol