Middlesbrough FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Another QPR type result?

Boro Win
72%
Town Win
11%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 18

Frosty
Forum Owner

Middlesbrough FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:20 pm

Image Middlesbrough v Ipswich Town Image

Saturday 29th December 2018 – 15:00

Riverside Stadium

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

Keeping It Real

Let's not kid ourselves, our performance Boxing day at QPR left a lot to be desired, it wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, silly individual errors blighting our progress once again, up until Jon Nolan's howler there hadn't been too much in it in truth but that really changed the complex of the game, and from looking fairly comfortable without actually threatening them we went back to some of our bad habits. It was a shame for Nolan as again he started fairly well and along with Chalobah looked the pick of the bunch but all I can remember now is that woeful pass, everything else that went before it counts for little.

I do find it all a bit ridiculous with regard to some of the negative stuff I have been reading since the defeat, we must keep it in perspective, Paul Lambert will, and is doing all he can to get us out of this mess that others have put us in, however he is no magician and is still working with what he inherited, I would even go as far as to say I trust in him for the long haul and that includes should the dreaded "R" word come to pass, he would be the man to rebuild this club and bring us back stronger so for some to be whining about him already please get a grip, I've said it many times some of our fans are fantastic but the element that attack at the slightest chance do my head in and are so counter productive it's untrue, they are the ones that actually deserve relegation.

We are nearly through to the window and this is a critical time for our chances of survival, some are saying cut our loses and don't spend, look to the future as it were but I disagree with it, we need to strengthen to even have a chance of survival, there is half a season to go not Fifteen games, Two wins at home in the next Two changes it all again, we can't just roll over. I think we are looking at needing a good Four to Five new faces in the right areas with proven championship experience and should we get them in I still haven't given up hope, no I would not lay money on it but where there is hope......

Another Tough One

A trip to Middlesbrough brings to an end a depressing 2018 and it is not somewhere I would choose to be going to hopefully pick up points to prevent the gap from growing ever further, as it stands we are now at the Seven point gap again which for me is the maximum we can afford to let it grow to, clearly this could very well become Ten if results go against us elsewhere so a shock Town win would be most welcome, but in reality what are the chances ?

Boro sit in Fifth place but have only won One of their last Five games so are not in good form, however a glance at the goals against column shows just how difficult a task we are up against, they have by far the meanest defence in the division having conceded only Seventeen goals in Twenty Four games, and given our lack of firepower this should be a breeze for them to collect another clean sheet, on the flip side they don't score goals to frequently either, only Four teams, us being One of them, have scored less than their Twenty Five so a tight defence can cause them problems, shame we don't have one.

Their squad definitely has some names that have caused us problems in the past, Assombalonga, Downing, Clayton, Howson, Ayala to name but Five, the squad is littered with proven Championship experience, something we crave, it looks a tough one and I think it is going to get worse before it gets better for Town, our survival bid really does start after this one I'm afraid as I cannot see beyond a fairly comfortable home win here, we can but dream but a Two goal defeat looks on the cards in this one. COYB'S

The Opposition - Middlesbrough

The club turned professional in 1889, but reverted to amateur status in 1892. They turned professional permanently in 1899 and after three seasons, they won promotion to the First Division, where they would remain for the next 22 years.

In 1903, the club moved to Ayresome Park, their home for the next 92 years.

Over the next few years, their form fluctuated greatly, rising to sixth in 1907–08 before dropping to seventeenth two seasons later. The club rose to their highest league finish to date, third, in 1913–14. The First World War soon intervened and football was suspended. Before league football resumed, Middlesbrough won the Northern Victory League, but the team were unable to maintain their previous form and finished the 1919–20 season in mid-table. They remained in the First Division for the next few seasons, but were relegated in 1923–24 after finishing bottom, ten points adrift of their nearest rivals.

Three seasons later, they won the Division Two title. Their tenure back in the top flight lasted only one season, and the club were relegated. They were promoted at the first attempt in 1928–29, winning another Second Division title. The club remained in the First Division until 1954.

Middlesbrough climbed to fourth in the last full season before the Second World War and were expected to challenge for the title next season, but the war intervened. After the war, the club was unable to recover the form of the previous seasons and hovered around mid-table and exited in the early rounds of the FA Cup. Soon afterwards the team began to falter, eventually suffering relegation in 1953–54. This was the start of a 20-year spell outside the top division.

Over that period, Middlesbrough maintained reasonable progress in the Second Division but were never serious contenders for promotion. After a fourth place finish in 1962–63, the club endured a steady decline and were relegated to the Third Division for the first time in their history in 1966.

New manager Stan Anderson returned the club to the second flight at the first attempt. Middlesbrough would not finish below ninth during the next eight seasons. By 1974, Jack Charlton had taken over as manager and guided the team back to the top flight.

The club experienced severe financial difficulties during the mid-1980s. In the 1984–85 season. In April 1986 the club had to borrow £30,000 from the PFA to pay wages. The final game of the season saw Middlesbrough relegated to the Third Division once more. That summer, the club called in the Provisional Liquidator and shortly afterwards, the club was wound up and the gates to Ayresome Park were padlocked. Without the £350,000 capital required for Football League registration, a new rule, it seemed inevitable that the club would fold permanently. However, Steve Gibson, a member of the board at the time, brought together a consortium and with ten minutes to spare before the deadline, they completed their registration with the Football League for the 1986–87 season. Following the registration came both a change of club crest and a change of the official company name to Middlesbrough Football and Athletic Club (1986) Ltd.

Over the next two seasons, Middlesbrough gained successive promotions into Division Two and then into Division One. The next season though, they came straight back down to Division Two. Despite constant promotion and relegation, Middlesbrough were founding members of the FA Premier League for the 1992–93 season.

The 1996–97 season was compounded by a deduction of three points imposed just after Christmas, as punishment for the club's failure to fulfil a fixture against Blackburn, which ultimately resulted in relegation. At the same time, the club managed to reach both the League and FA Cup finals for the first time, but lost out in both. Despite being in the second tier they were again runners up in the League Cup final the next year.

Middlesbrough were promoted back to the Premiership at the first attempt in 1998. They continued to stay secure in mid-table the following season.
Bryan Robson left the club before the start of 2001–02 season, having served as manager for 7 years, and was replaced by Manchester United assistant coach Steve McClaren. The following seasons saw Premiership security maintained as Middlesbrough slowly improved and were seen as a tough side to beat when playing at the Riverside Stadium. During McClaren's reign, Middlesbrough achieved their highest Premier league placing of 7th in the 2004–05 season.

The 2003–04 season was the most successful in the club's history as they finally won a major trophy after beating Bolton in the League Cup final.

Middlesbrough reached the 2006 UEFA Cup Final in Eindhoven, following two comebacks in the rounds preceding it, but lost to Sevilla. Following the cup final, McClaren left to head up the England team, and captain Gareth Southgate took over, despite not having the coaching qualifications, but he was allowed to continue after receiving special dispensation. Southgate's first two seasons saw the club finish in 12th and 13th places. He oversaw the club reaching the quarter finals of the FA Cup for three seasons, but the club was relegated to the Football League Championship on the last day of the 2008–09 season.

Despite starting the 2010–11 campaign as promotion favourites, the club endured a disappointing start to the season securing only 1-point in 5 away games. Having slipped to 20th in the Championship following a home defeat to rivals Leeds, Gordon Strachan resigned on 18 October. A week later, Tony Mowbray was confirmed as the new manager. Having staved off the threat of relegation, Mowbray successfully transformed Boro's fortunes, eventually guiding them to a top-half finish.

Following a poor run of form of 2 wins in 12 games in the 2013–14 campaign, on 21 October 2013, nearly 3 years after his arrival, Tony Mowbray left the club with immediate effect. Aitor Karanka, a former Spanish defender and assistant coach at Real Madrid became the new Middlesbrough manager on 13 November 2013, signing a two-year contract. He became the first non-British manager at the club.

Boro had a good 2014/15 season finishing in 4th place. After beating Brentford in the playoff semi-finals they meet Norwich in the Championship promotion final …. Sadly the budgies coming out on top on the day.

The next season, Middlesbrough were promoted back to the Premier League after finishing second in the Championship in 2015–16, drawing 1–1 with Brighton & Hove Albion on the final day of the season.

Last season Boro struggled in the EPL, only managing 5 wins which ultimately saw them relegated back to the Championship after only one season.

The club appointed former Leeds United manager Garry Monk as manager in the off-season. Expectations at the club were high, having spent close to £50 million in the transfer window on player purchases, in order to mount an immediate promotion challenge back to the Premier League. Such a promotion challenge did not materialise under Monk's management, as on 23 December 2017, it was announced that Monk had left the club, with Middlesbrough ninth in the Championship and underachieving. They appointed Tony Pulis as manager three days later on Boxing Day, who himself had been sacked by West Bromwich Albion a month earlier.

Last season Boro finished in 5th place but failed in their promotion bid at the Play Off’s.

The Manager – Tony Pulis

Media Watch - K L Blue

Form Guide

Middlesbrough Last 5 Matches currently in 5th place with 39 points

1 Dec Middlesbrough 0 - 3 Aston Villa

8 Dec Middlesbrough 1 - 1 Blackburn

15 Dec QP Rangers 2 - 1 Middlesbrough

22 Dec Reading 0 - 1 Middlesbrough

26 Dec Middlesbrough 0 - 1 Sheffield Wed

Ipswich Last 5 Matches currently in 24th place with 15 points

1 Dec Nottm Forest 2 - 0 Ipswich Town

8 Dec Stoke City 2 - 0 Ipswich Town

15 Dec Ipswich Town 1 - 0 Wigan Athletic

22 Dec Ipswich Town 1 – 1 Sheffield United

26 Dec Queens Park Rangers 3 – 0 Ipswich Town

Marko’s Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

Marko is busy with a special family matter this week, so blame me if you think the picture sucks. Marko will score this and the other 23 odd Caption Contests he has missed to date next week or 2019 …………. Whatever comes first. Cheers Frosty

Match Referee – Jeremy Simpson

MIDDLESBROUGH 2 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Blue Wilf

Re: Middlesbrough FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:05 am

Nice preview, Guys - at a busy time of year for everyone too so well done. I have to say that I cannot see much past Mike's 2 goal defeat here either - much as I would love it to be different and indeed - even this season - stranger things have happened (well once, at Swansea)... so - head says 2-0 Boro win. Heart says hang in there guys for a cheeky 0-0. Heres hoping - and safe travels to any of you Tractor girls and boys who are headed up the east coast. COYB's!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:03 am

Caption. PL sends his son into a Middlesbrough signing session in a desperate attempt to get player's to sign for Town but is rumbled when one spots the contract under the calendar.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:08 pm

No chance..... 3-0 to borough

Caption . Middlesbrough are so far ahead at half time, they decide to do some colouring in instead of a team talk

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:23 pm

I can't see much changing. We'll struggle to keep the score respectable. Middlesbrough 2 v ITFC 0.

Caption:
"Excuse me sir, have you seen the latest Caption Contest scores from Marko?" "I can't find them, mate! Christ, these unfinished scores go all the way back to 2015!" :lol:

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:12 pm

I'll be satisfied if we get a goal, if only to bring some belief into the squad.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:40 pm

Middlesbrough are struggling to score at the moment. If - and it's a big if - we can cut out the errors we could sneak a point. Maybe even 3. Expecting defeat but it's not inevitable.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:12 pm

It would make the journey home that much more palatable, even a point !!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:14 pm

CAPTION...."Thats the Middlesbrough players santa lists all done, strangely enough they all want the same prezzie, to play Ipswich every week"

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:58 pm

Caption

"Look at all the mugs present at the signing session"

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:49 pm

Caption.

Careful boys make its you don't sign for Ipswich except you Rudy.⚽

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:34 am

Can't see us getting much out of this game I'm afraid.

2-0 to Boro

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:31 am

Andym wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:40 pm
Middlesbrough are struggling to score at the moment. If - and it's a big if - we can cut out the errors we could sneak a point. Maybe even 3. Expecting defeat but it's not inevitable.
Agreed!

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:43 am

Great preview as always guys, thanks for the efforts put in. As for the game again I can't see anything to support or suggest that we will even score let alone win.
Boro are not on fire at home recently, and they will be nervous about this being a potential banana skin match, but luckily they play the worst side in the league and a team that once they concede the heads drop and our confidence goes out of the window.
I think a nervous win for Boro and again no goals for us.
3-0.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:54 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:49 pm
Caption.

Careful boys make its you don't sign for Ipswich except you Rudy.⚽
That should be Careful boys make sure you don't sign for Ipswich except you Rudy.

I think we will get a draw 1-1 :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:11 am

Well on the way now

COYB'S!!!!

Let's f**king do this !!!!

Ipswich till I die

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:42 am

Anything at all from this one would be most welcome.

I fear the worst, but hope springs eternal!

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:05 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:11 am
Well on the way now

COYB'S!!!!

Let's f**king do this !!!!

Ipswich till I die
You’re a mad b*stard

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:07 am

Ipswich 2-0 and PL to tap up Gestede and Tavernier whilst there.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:40 am

Caption Comp: Town win at Boro Painting by numbers Boro players have no idea .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:06 pm

At last, Knudsen dropped, Kenlock in

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:32 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:06 pm
Kenlock so much better going forward and might actually stop a cross by closing. But also sh*t in the air and lightweight.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:32 pm

Hope Kenlock does well & replaces Knudsen permanently. :D

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:48 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:32 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Kenlock so much better going forward and might actually stop a cross by closing. But also sh*t in the air and lightweight.
I agree; Kenlock is better going forward. Defensively I think Knudsen is better. I think it's make or break time for Kenlock; show that you can defend at this level or we must look elsewhere. Having said that there aren't too many fullbacks who can defend and get forward well. You are so dependent on the team keeping possession when you're forward and Midfielders dropping in to cover.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:00 pm

Starting XI

1Gerken
12Spence
4Chambers
5Pennington
30Kenlock
6Chalobah
21Downes
7Edwards
11Nolan
20Sears
9Jackson

bench

3Knudsen
10Harrison
15Bishop
19Roberts
22Nsiala
23Dozzell
33Bialkowski

Seems adequate, go out to win and take away a visitor victory. Like to beat this opposition, silly club outfit the size and honors list of Norwich City. Too bad they didn't go out of existence back in the '80's, few would have noticed their omission. Hope the traveling masses get a reward their trip and patience warrants.

Let's f**king do this, all things are possible. Pick up game report as when time arises.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:19 pm

We must stop giving away free kicks.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:50 pm

On the BBC site it said Jordon Spence fouled in the box & concided penalty.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Any replacement for Spence?

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Magicmark wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:50 pm
On the BBC site it said Jordon Spence fouled in the box & concided penalty.
Yes. Radio Suffolk said it was a soft decision.....If you can believe them

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Really let ourselves down with the number of fouls conceded in and around the box.
Wonder how many goals came from set pieces against us.