Middlesbrough FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Another QPR type result?

Boro Win
72%
Town Win
11%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 18

Magicmark

Re: Middlesbrough FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Magicmark » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Heard they are doing local trials to replace him.or anyone who can kick a ball lol

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:05 pm

Not seen the incident,so it could be not a penalty. Always get rough end of decisions

Sounds like we are in this game though

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:38 pm

Poor day again.
2-0

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:39 pm

Caption " Does your mum know this calandar is full of tits"?

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:54 pm

MFC looked more likely to score a third.
Urgent changes required from the 1st Jan 2019.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:17 pm

Another game which we were well in until a dubious decision turns the game, not sure the penalty was even a foul. Better side first half, cracking save by Randolph from Chalobah's header at 0-0 then quite how sears didnt score just before HT god only knows. A bit disappointing second half but three cracking Gerken saves stopped it from being a heavy defeat. A nice journey home.....not

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:43 pm

Fecking spence!!!! Gives away a penalty and then nowhere to be seen for the second. Hes got to go, get back emanuel

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:01 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:43 pm
Fecking spence!!!! Gives away a penalty and then nowhere to be seen for the second. Hes got to go, get back emanuel
I blame Spence for both also. Defensively he’s shyte. Interestingly Emmanuel was not in the Shrewsbury 11 today....

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:22 pm

Not a Spence fan but from what I could see on the highlights the penalty was very harsh.

Regarding the second, without seeing the build-up play it's hard to tell why he (Spence) was out of position. As I said in s previous post, if full backs are expected to get forward someone has to cover or we must keep possession.

Sounded like a decent first half.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:13 pm

One positive, Kenlock was very impressive, especially going forward.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:57 pm

Got game highlights maybe an hour back. Penalty incident was indeed unfortunate, Spence should have known better than to commit such an offense in the area but not every match official would have punished it. Sometimes it goes in your favor, other times you get penalized for your actions. Turned the game without question.

Team seems to struggle in an adverse situation. Now more than ever the need to battle back from on-field setbacks (i.e opposition taking a lead through whatever circumstance) requires attention. What was it, 325 of us who traveled up, take into consideration the distance but even so seems a small number. Wonder what kind of allocation was given for visitors.

Moved on from this already. Beaten by the north-east equivalent of Norwich City, matter of fact news of their late collapse at home to Derby offered some comfort on an otherwise round of games around the UK that are best left unspoken. I implore the owner to inject some substantial funding into the club at the next transfer opportunity, else we're done for in this division.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:50 am

When you are struggling all the big decisions seem to go against you.Yet again we end up with a sh*t ref. If that was a penalty there should be one given every corner.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:55 am

Yesterday's trip to Middlesbrough ended pretty much how I had been fearing it would, another defeat, pointless journey home and with us still very much in the mire, however for me it doesn't exactly tell the whole story of the game. If there is a truer saying that decisions and situations always go against you when you are at the bottom then I sure as hell haven't heard it. Don't get me wrong we weren't fantastic by any stretch but we certainly gave as good as we got in the first half and edged the game with more of the chances, Two big passages of play went against us and we again fail to recover, it's the story of our season all too often.

It was a jittery start from Town, looking hesitant in defence and making a meal of One or Two pretty routine clearances, young kenlock had come in for Knudsen and his first touch or two were a mixture of good and not so good but he did get his body in the way to divert the first shot of the day away for a corner. Town really found the opening period of the game hard to get into their stride but equally Boro were hardly looking much of a threat either. Chalobah & Downes had started as well as anyone in a Blue shirt and were winning a good few balls in the Midfield, what was very evident to me even at this early stage was just how isolated poor Jackson was, on the odd occasion the ball was played up into his direction there was no-one even remotely close to him, Edwards & Sears were failing to get forward enough to back him up, this was a pattern that was to continue for most of the game.

Town did create a good move which resulted in Kenlock playing a lovely ball into the path of Sears who's shot was easily dealt with by Randolph in the home goal. it was a really good piece of play by the young Left back who had got forward really well. One or two chances came Boro's way but were from distance and failed to trouble Gerken in the Town, at the other end we were so so close to going ahead, a corner was whipped in by Nolan who for once got good delivery in and Chalobah rose above everyone to send his header hurtling towards the back of the net, somehow Randolph stretched out to palm it away, we were all on our feet at the other end as it looked a goal all the way, what a very good save it was much to our frustration.

It gave Town some impetus as we finally looked in the game against what for me were a very average home side lacking in belief. Half chances still came at either end with Gerken making a routine save from a shot from distance. What followed moments later was another crushing blow to Town's chances as we have a penalty awarded against us for a so called foul by Spence on Hugill, at the time I thought it was harsh and having seen it a few times since I know it was harsh, what annoys me more is that if that situation arises at the other end do we get the spot kick ? I don't think so, either way Hugill dispatches the kick easily past Gerken to give them a very fortuitous lead. With Half Time almost upon us we miss a gilt edge chance to go in level, good work from Jackson in closing down the defender see Town break away, Nolan and Sears combine before the latter see's his shot well saved by the boot of Randolph but it really should have been a goal. For me we had edged the half and had the Two best chances, we just lack experience in key areas and quality all over the place, I felt Kenlock, Chalobah, Downes and Nolan had done pretty well but Sears & Edwards really needed to up their game as it had not been too clever from the Two support men to Jackson who had a helpless task, that said he created a great chance at the end with his tireless running and closing down.

After a fairly decent first half from Town's point of the view the second was going to prove to be one of disappointment and frustration, I expected us to come out and go at them, they looked brittle all over the pitch and even we looked to bother them at times, alas we never really drummed up a head of steam and chances became a thing of rarity. It was the home side who had a fair share of the territorial advantage since the restart and we had Gerken to thank for keeping out a decent effort from Hugill who was growing more and more into the game.

Roberts came on for Jackson as Town looked to shake it up a bit, but chances were at a premium for Town, all too often Edwards was getting the ball and failing to do much with it, he is so lightweight it's untrue, Downes had faded after a good first half and Kenlock who was so involved going forward before the break was now doing most of his good work defensively. With the game entering the latter stages we conceded a second, a Boro break saw Tavernier's shot find it's way past Gerken who really should have done better, that said our defence was all at sea in the build up and quite where Spence was at RB god only knows but it was game up at that point. The final few minutes became the Dean Gerken show as Four times he pulled of super saves, Two of them were stunning stops which at least stopped it becoming a rout, that would have been very harsh on Town, in between these Boro chances a excellent cross from kenlock saw a Roberts header sail just past the far post with the keeper beaten, that was pretty much the end of the game as Town again fail to take anything from a close match.

The first half was harsh on Town who battled manfully and looked comfortable until a pretty poor decision from another iffy ref turned it against us, I still do not believe that was a penalty, you see those kind of challenges numerous times in every game of football but it was given and we can't change it, had that not occurred I believe we have a great chance of taking at least a point from the game but instead we lose belief and after the break failed to take it to them. I wasn't impressed with the Two support strikers yesterday, for me Edwards & Sears have to do much better and this is another area which needs to improve in the second half of the season, it's ok scoring Four or Five goals in a good spell but we can't have Freddie going awol for the next Twenty plus games as he has done several times in his Town career, as for Edwards I am getting more and more disappointed with him as each game passes.

Gerken...(7) Will be disappointed with the second goal but some stunning saves late in the game kept it respectable.

Spence...(5) Unlucky with the penalty shout but poor for the second goal, we need better in this position.

Chambers...(6) By and large did ok against a tricky opponent, his passing has definitely improved under Lambert as plays it out all the time now.

Pennington...(6) Much the same as Chambers, solid and did little wrong, gaps appeared late in the game as we chased it.

Kenlock...(7) A breath of fresh air, started slowly but grew into the game, looked assured for the most part and got forward really well, some good passing/delivery created Two of our best chances, my MOTM.

Downes...(6) Started well and put himself about, showed a nice touch at times, faded a bit in the final Third of the game.

Nolan...(6) Like Downes he started well and showed some neat passes but is liable to a right rick at times.

Chalobah...(7) Rarely has a bad game these days, gets stuck into everything and never hides, makes himself available for every ball and tries to get us going forward, I can see why he is rated so highly now.

Edwards...(5) just not the player from the start of the season, easily pushed off the ball and runs down so many blind alleys, doesn't help much defensively either, Lankester a better option.

Sears...(5) We just cannot afford Freddie to go quiet which he has done in the last Two games, always tries but often it's all a bit predictable.

Jackson...(5) Felt for him, his low mark is down to others as much as himself, clearly lacks quality by god he needs more support than that.

SUBS :-

Roberts...(5) So nearly scored with the late header but was in same position as Jackson, very isolated.

Dozzell...(5) I heard again yesterday he is off in January, little time to shine but just looks lost.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:06 am

Really appreciate these reports Mike, thank you for making the effort each match, always a good read.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:29 pm

I fully agree with Frosty: thanks Mike for the sterling job you do.

Also, a slightly early Happy New Year to you.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:31 pm

No worries chaps, hope some enjoy it, clearly only my views.

A very Happy New year to you too Billy and indeed everyone associated with Tractor Boys, I hope 2019 is everything you want it to be.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks for report Mike. And happy new year to all.

Sounds like Boro game was true to form - we showed some promise but lack confidence, grit and that bit of killer quality to win games.

The big question, from where I’m standing at least, is have we got enough (or will have enough) in our locker for six points versus Millwall and Rotherham? Win those and escape is very possible, anything else leaves us with a mountain to climb.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks for that Mike. I’d heard yesterday that the ref was the same one that sent Bsisla off at Sheff weds and also involved in another contentious decision involving a Town game thus season. But youre right. We get sod all decisions our way.

If the rumour of Dozzell being on his way ( no doubt orchastrated by his dad), to Spurs for £5m and possibility of two players coming our way on loan, I’d actually snap their hands off. AD is way off being an influential player for us in the here and now. Potential is a wonderful thing but there’s no guarantee that potential will be realised fully. He’s had a serious injury and so far looks s shadow of the player he was prior to sustaining it.

I recall selling some previous “ Crown Jewels” to Newcastle for £7m ( Dyer). With that money we were able to bring in Sedgley and a couple of others which made Town a far better “ team”.

Times are of course different financially and you don’t get much bang for yer buck in the game these days . But Lamvert is shrewd enough to identify some key players IF Evans gives him the money from Any / all sales in this window . If he doesn’t then Evans may as well sell up now .

We’ll see what happens ....,,

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:55 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:08 pm
Thanks for that Mike. I’d heard yesterday that the ref was the same one that sent Bsisla off at Sheff weds and also involved in another contentious decision involving a Town game thus season. But youre right. We get sod all decisions our way.

If the rumour of Dozzell being on his way ( no doubt orchastrated by his dad), to Spurs for £5m and possibility of two players coming our way on loan, I’d actually snap their hands off. AD is way off being an influential player for us in the here and now. Potential is a wonderful thing but there’s no guarantee that potential will be realised fully. He’s had a serious injury and so far looks s shadow of the player he was prior to sustaining it.

I recall selling some previous “ Crown Jewels” to Newcastle for £7m ( Dyer). With that money we were able to bring in Sedgley and a couple of others which made Town a far better “ team”.

Times are of course different financially and you don’t get much bang for yer buck in the game these days . But Lamvert is shrewd enough to identify some key players IF Evans gives him the money from Any / all sales in this window . If he doesn’t then Evans may as well sell up now .

We’ll see what happens ....,,
Totally agree with the dozzell comment, we need some players in who will be able to influence the games and shore up our week midfield,defence and attack,. If the two players coming in are at least seasoned pros we may get a good deal.