Ipswich Town vs Millwall FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Start the New Year off with a gift that really matters?

Ipswich Win
60%
Millwall Win
27%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

derick_ipsw

Re: Ipswich Town vs Millwall FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:27 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:08 pm
We are certs to go down now, so maybe we can experiment with youth, blood some players ready for league one and save any money to have a spend before the start of the new campaign. This season has been a bloody disaster.
We are bound to lose any quality players we have coming through as well......
Get Woolfenden back of his loan and drop that donkey Chambers ffs. Also drop Spence. They are both f**king sh*te.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:29 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:27 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
We are certs to go down now, so maybe we can experiment with youth, blood some players ready for league one and save any money to have a spend before the start of the new campaign. This season has been a bloody disaster.
Get Woolfenden back of his loan and drop that donkey Chambers ffs. Also drop Spence. They are both f**king sh*te.
Get a decent rb and chambers wont have to do 2 mans work. Chambers is ok imo

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:33 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:29 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:27 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
Get a decent rb and chambers wont have to do 2 mans work. Chambers is ok imo
We could always play Donacian but PL does not think so. Get Emmanuel back off loan.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:49 pm

When ive f**king calmed down i will try to post my thoughts if i can be bothered but how the f*ck we lost that after a superb first 45 I don't know, well yes actually I do, ask the c*ck of a ref !!!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:59 pm

Initial thoughts after getting home... feel gutted as you all are as well. Observations are:-
- Spence and Gerken... give me strength - they are hopeless week in and week out
- i didnt see the penalty incident well but what i did see made it look soft... very soft
- Once again, a ref who seemed to WANT them to score!
- great first half and we should have been 2 or 3 up. It was like Reading away again but lacked cutting edge and a bit of luck
- i think we allowed them back into it by playing to their strengths (in the air). We can play our short passes up field really well but chose to keep heading the ball straight back in the second half
- heads went down after goal one for them. By the third, it was always game over
-Lankaster was great first half but faded
We still cannot get a decent corner or dead ball crosser in place!!!

So what next? Well there are still 60 points to play for and for me, until it is mathematically impossible, i will stick with them and PL in particular. My fear is that if we do go down, we lose the best youngsters as well as any half decent players we have.

Not what we wished for i know, but for me, its keep the blind faith and support the team. Next season will take care if itself - one way or the other....

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:49 pm
When ive f**king calmed down i will try to post my thoughts if i can be bothered but how the f*ck we lost that after a superb first 45 I don't know, well yes actually I do, ask the c*ck of a ref !!!
Whilst the ref was terrible he didn't directly cause the mistakes from chambers, Spence (please just sack this guy) and Pennington. All horrendous errors of our own doing which undo all the good work of the first half. We are our own worst enemy and it's been that way all season.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:38 pm

The thought of having to start 20 odd new previews from scratch next season isn’t an appealing thought either.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:18 pm

Gutted

One nil up and playing so well, the table was looking much brighter than before kick off.

Yet more crap defending and suddenly we need a f**king miracle now.

Cannot even comprehend league 1 :astroll: :astroll:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:19 pm

charlton837 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:30 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:49 pm
Whilst the ref was terrible he didn't directly cause the mistakes from chambers, Spence (please just sack this guy) and Pennington. All horrendous errors of our own doing which undo all the good work of the first half. We are our own worst enemy and it's been that way all season.
Those errors came from situations caused by incorrect refereeing decisions.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:28 pm

I'm really f**king struggling right now, today has definitely affected me.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:00 pm

Tomorrow is another day mate, remember there’s a million other things in this world which are far worse

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:22 pm

Frosty wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:00 pm
Tomorrow is another day mate, remember there’s a million other things in this world which are far worse
That is so true.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:32 pm

Yes it is true

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:30 pm

Damn right, no sense in beating yourselves up over a once proud club side going in one direction. There as are mentioned, far more tangible worries and concerns other than what occurs during a game time.

Caught highlights and at times the defense seemed in disarray. I realize we're at the time of giving but the opposition were aided considerably today by the incompetence of some of our team players. Irritated we again had the greater possession or could have gone beyond the initial Lankester strike but there's so much in key areas that needs alteration in the immediate time ahead.

10 points from the safety line, that's more than three wins required to pass it. Bear in mind other club sides in the vicinity shall pick up points also. Wouldn't say we're f*cked as yet but today could be a pivotal moment in defining the whole issue on whether the team survives or otherwise.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:47 am

Let’s face it, we’re fuckin rubbish! We’ve been polishing the turd for way too long. But I’d still pick ITFC over those yellow & green c*cks. Happy New Year you miserable c*cks! (Sorry BB)

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:13 am

Frosty wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:38 pm
The thought of having to start 20 odd new previews from scratch next season isn’t an appealing thought either.
My advice: copy & paste :D

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:31 am

That result was a sickener, especially after seeing the score at half time. Nevertheless let's dust ourselves down and see what Jan brings. 10 points is a big gap but it can be done. The 3 or 4 teams above us are pretty poor too and at least we are not imploding like Bolton.

I know we are not in the mood for optimism right now but PL is identifying areas of weakness and if he gets the right bodies in during the window the gap can be closed.

Would be interested to know why we didn't go in at half time up by more than 1. Reports say that we didn't take our chances but why is that? A lack of finishing quality? A lack of guile? A lack of a big man to muscle the opposition defence up a bit? We are creating chances, maybe in Jan we can pick up a finisher, Gestede? (Murphy scored for Forest yesterday so I would say any hopes of getting him on loan are wide of the mark).

Don't lose hope yet.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:57 am

I've said all along Sears can't finish, not blaming him specifically but it cost us the win.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:24 am

One other observation that we somehow need to address is our total lack if ability to deal with a big, mobile attacker (or about 3 of them yesterday). This has been an issue for us for about 10 years! As soon as a team starts with or even worse, brings on someone who is over 6 foot and built like the proverbial brick sh*t house, we go to pieces and they almost invariably score against us. Every time it happens and my daughter and I comment on it and sure enough, the prediction comes true! Maybe we need one of them ourselves? Failing that, we have not replaced our really big/tall central defenders in recent years (ie de Vos and Smith) so surprise surprise, the likes of chambers (who is 6 foot max) struggles against them - as was the case yesterday. Anyone else seen this trend over recent years? If we see it, why dont managers see it?

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:26 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:24 am
One other observation that we somehow need to address is our total lack if ability to deal with a big, mobile attacker (or about 3 of them yesterday). This has been an issue for us for about 10 years! As soon as a team starts with or even worse, brings on someone who is over 6 foot and built like the proverbial brick sh*t house, we go to pieces and they almost invariably score against us. Every time it happens and my daughter and I comment on it and sure enough, the prediction comes true! Maybe we need one of them ourselves? Failing that, we have not replaced our really big/tall central defenders in recent years (ie de Vos and Smith) so surprise surprise, the likes of chambers (who is 6 foot max) struggles against them - as was the case yesterday. Anyone else seen this trend over recent years? If we see it, why dont managers see it?
Yep, I said the same thing when we played Bristol City and they brought on the big lad at half time. We need a couple of thugs in central defence

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:48 am

I think we’re going to need a more physical type of player next season now, especially at the back anyway.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:50 am

I think the reason we struggle with a big striker is we drop far too deep. We need the team as a whole to push up and force them back a bit. When we have all our players on the edge of our own box we are asking for trouble.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:23 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:47 am
Let’s face it, we’re fuckin rubbish! We’ve been polishing the turd for way too long. But I’d still pick ITFC over those yellow & green c*cks. Happy New Year you miserable c*cks! (Sorry BB)
Lived in Norfolk for most of my life & will never support those arrogant twaxs.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:53 pm

Ive had to laugh at all the comments of errors from Spence, Pennington, Gerken, Chambers etc etc but not a f**king word agsinst Sears who missed three chances, one an absolute sitter that cost us the match, its still a mistake, just cus its a striker and didn't cost us a goal it's still done damage. The defence and Midfield were rock solid first half and did the business, had the strikers the game would have been won, it goes much deeper than a defender making a mistake.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:53 pm
Ive had to laugh at all the comments of errors from Spence, Pennington, Gerken, Chambers etc etc but not a f**king word agsinst Sears who missed three chances, one an absolute sitter that cost us the match, its still a mistake, just cus its a striker and didn't cost us a goal it's still done damage. The defence and Midfield were rock solid first half and did the business, had the strikers the game would have been won, it goes much deeper than a defender making a mistake.
I think that's probably because some of the names defenders are making mistakes every game at the moment often leading to goals. I do however agree this week about Sears, he really should have scored 1 if not 2 goals with the chances he had. But the truth is he is the only one who has got any kind of goal haul in PL time in charge, Jackson has also got a few now I suppose. But yes Sears really should have helped us out by getting a goal or two.

On a brighter note I thought Harrison had his best game for us...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:57 am
I've said all along Sears can't finish, not blaming him specifically but it cost us the win.

Tbh Mike we shouldn’t have needed to score 4 goals to win a home game against a team that had only scored 10 away goals all season and hadn’t won any of their previous 12 away games. I think conceding 3 was what cost us the game.

To end on a positive note I thought both our goals yesterday were crackers, Lankesters and Jacksons, just a shame they weren’t enough.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:43 pm

I dont care what anyone says Two of those goals should not have stood, the Ref was either a cheat or f**king useless beyond belief.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:15 pm

I agree totally about Sears. He rarely puts away those chances when a bit of composure is needed. When you're on top you must make the most of it.we had the best of the first 35 minutes but threw away so many chances to increase the lead.

Regarding their goals:
For the first we allowed their bloke so much time to look up and put in the cross. That was the first mistake. Seeing it live I was sure it was a penalty. Looking at it again I wasn't so sure. But Chambers really made the error of trying to block the run rather than win the ball so I unfortunately think the ref got it right.
The second goal started with a free kick against Downes for a perfectly good fair tackle. Poor decision. Of course we shouldn't have let the ball run out for the corner. But we cleared the corner . When the ball was knocked back in there were 2 unmarked at the far post. I think Sears was one of those who rushed out after the initial clearance leaving the space there. Not his fault necessarily but a lack of organization.
3rd goal entirely down to Pennington.
Lots of errors.

Ok so we are going down. Lots of positives from the first 35 minutes. After. Half time we were outmuscled and bullied with no protection from the ref. That's the way it is when you are going and not physically strong.

Still, the best 35 minutes football I've seen at PR for years.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:54 pm

Great post again Andy, Andy I have not seen the incident again for the Third goal but from where I was it looked a foul on Gerken all day long ? Is that not the case ?

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:54 pm
Great post again Andy, Andy I have not seen the incident again for the Third goal but from where I was it looked a foul on Gerken all day long ? Is that not the case ?
I couldn't see from where I sit and the highlights don't make it clear either. Gerken clearly got kicked but he went for it with his feet as he had to with a back pass if he was going to get there first. He might have tried to block it with his chest but he would have had to let the striker get there first before he could pick it up. But that ref gave us nothing all afternoon like so many this season.