Accrington Stanley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

And now for something different ......

Accrington Stanley Win
36%
Ipswich Town Win
43%
Replay
21%

Total votes: 14

Frosty
Forum Owner

Accrington Stanley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:01 pm

Image Accrington Stanley v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 5th January 2019 – 15:00

Crown Ground

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

The Game Is Up

So here you have it, me the eternal optimist has conceded we are down, facing League One full in the face, that is the severity of our defeat at the hands of a hopeless Millwall side who somehow weathered an opening half storm to walk away with Three gifted points. I can't lie, I was convinced we would beat both Millwall & Rotherham, quietly confident in fact and for Forty Five minutes I felt quite smug as we played some really good football, moving the ball around quickly and confidently, finding our passes, creating chances and keeping it solid at the back, we just did not look like a team who are getting relegated, the big downfall once again is that we did not convert the Four or Five chances that came our way following Jack Lankester's 3rd minute opener which gave us the ideal start and we all know that we are good for a gift or Two at the back in every game and so it came to pass.

I hate making excuses for defeats but again the standard of refereeing left me, and lot of others, stunned, can an individual get so many things wrong ? OK a lot of them are not game changers but it doesn't half have an influence the more it happens and for me I can make an argument for all Three of Millwall's goals being caused by dodgy decisions, either in the build up or execution, the second in particular was laughable as it seems you cannot even make clean and impressive tackles anymore. There were some positives I guess, that first half saw great individual showings from a few Town players, how good was it to see Teddy Bishop back and crunching into tackles again, or Flynn Downes putting it about like a seasoned pro, I also thought Ellis Harrison had his best game in a Town shirt by a distance and led the line superbly, his hold up play was excellent and yet again he was fouled time and time again but had virtually no protection from the tosser in Black.

Looking at the league Table now makes for grim reading, yes we may be able to reel in Reading & Bolton that is only Seven points (ONLY !!) but Rotherham in the Fourth bottom spot are now a massive ten points clear and that looks beyond us although of course it would be down to Seven also if we should beat them on Saturday week. While it isn't impossible I just think such is the mess we are in we are doomed to the drop and I am finding hard to take right now, I try to tell myself it may not be as bad as it first seems but it's cutting no ice with me, it is a bloody disaster !! All we can do now is take each game as it comes and do a lot of praying, I see it that we need ten more wins to have a chance. And now the end is near, and so we face the final curtain.........

Some Respite, Or Is There ???

We break away from League duty this weekend for the excitement of FA Cup Third round day (Gulp), where fans up and down the country look out for those famous cup shocks (Gulp), where the minnows look to take a bigger scalp (Gulp), sadly I am describing us in every way only once again we are the hunted and not the hunter, The Wham Stadium, Accrington looks a damn good bet for one of those shocks and should it occur will only add more misery to an already desperate season. For various reasons we need to win this, just please give us a crumb or Two of comfort to cling to, a place in the Fourth round would be something to enthuse about I guess, I have forgotten what it feels like.

One thing about our trip to Accrington is that it will set us in good stead for next season where every other weekend will see a journey of this ilk, Spotland, Bloomfield Road, Adams Park, Highbury Stadium (Fleetwood not Arsenal !!!), yes the bristles stand up on the back of my neck just typing it.

I can't pretend I know much about Accrington Stanley (Who are they ?) but it seems their current form is pretty poor, especially at home so this will be a home banker. They are currently in Mid table which I guess probably exceeds their sensible aspirations, seeing as we supposedly signed two of their better players we know what to expect quality wise, a glance at their team sheet doesn't help at all as I know nothing about any of them so all joking aside this would be really bad should we not come back with a place in Round Four secure. With over One Thousand Tractor Boys and Girls making the 495 Mile round trip all I hope is that we play our strongest team and actually give it a real go. Surely even we can do this ??? 2-0 Town win. Wembley here we come !!!!

The Opposition – Accrington Stanley

The original town club, Accrington, was amongst the twelve founder members of the Football League in 1888, before resigning from the league after just five years. A team called Stanley Villa already existed at the time, named as such because they were based at the Stanley W.M.C. on Stanley Street in Accrington. With the demise of Accrington, Stanley Villa took the town name to become Accrington Stanley.

Accrington had been without a football team following the collapse of the original Accrington Stanley in 1966. The original team had been formed in 1891 and played in the Football League from 1921 to March 1962, but had spent its final four seasons in the Lancashire Combination. At a meeting at Bold Street Working Men's Club in 1968 the revival was initiated, and in August 1970 the new club played at a new ground, the Crown Ground. Eric Whalley, a local businessman, took control of the club in 1995 and began the development of the club's ground. After the club was relegated in 1999, Whalley appointed John Coleman as manager.

The club's rise to the Football League is attributed in part to the windfall of hundreds of thousands of pounds reaped by the sell-on clause in the December 2001 transfer of former Stanley star Brett Ormerod to Southampton, which paid Blackpool over a million pounds for his contract. Stanley had taken £50,000 from Blackpool in 1997, with the agreement that Blackpool would pay Accrington a quarter of what it might have received if it in turn transferred Ormerod to another team. The 2002–03 championship of the Northern Premier League followed quickly on Accrington's getting the cash.

Following the 2002–03 win of the Northern Premier League, the club was promoted for the first time in its history to the Football Conference. The club's first-ever game in the league was away to another re-formed club, Aldershot Town, on Sunday 10 August 2003. The game was shown live on Sky Sports and resulted in a 1–2 loss. The season was a success, with a final league position of 10th being achieved. The highlight of that first season in the 5th tier was a sensational run to the FA Cup 3rd round, only losing in a replay away to League One side Colchester United.

The following season saw the club become a full time professional outfit. The 2004–05 also resulted in a 10th-place finish.

The 2005–06 season saw the return of Stanley to the Football League. Finishing on 91 points, the club went on a 19-game unbeaten run stretching from October to March, leaving the club an easy passage to League Two after 46 years away.

The club was involved in a relegation battle throughout its first season in the 4th tier. A run of 5 wins in the last 9 games of the season led to a 20th-place finish and was enough to save the club from relegation in its first season back in the Football League.

The 2007–08 season produced more of the same, with the club involved in another relegation battle.5 wins in the final 12 games were enough to secure a 17th-place finish and another season in the 4th tier of English Football.

Performance during the 2008–09 season improved, with the club achieving a modest 16th-place finish in League Two.

The 2009–10 season was far better, with the club pushing for a playoff place at the turn of the year. A run of 9 wins in 10 League games saw the club with a chance of making the playoffs, only for this to fade in March/April.

The club reached the Football League Two play-offs during the 2010–11 season, one of the most successful in its history. A run of 1 loss in 19 games, from February till May, saw the club finish in a best-ever 5th position, eventually losing to League Two newcomers Stevenage in the Playoff Semi-finals.

2011–12 was a season of transition for the club. The loss of no less than six of the playoff-chasing side of the previous season was a tough act to follow. Following a shaky start to the season the arrival of Bryan Hughes in October transformed the club's fortunes. A run of 6 wins in 7 games over the Christmas period saw the club briefly enter the play-offs. However, following the sale of club captain Andrew Procter to Preston North End in the January 2012 transfer window, the third-longest serving management team of John Coleman and Jimmy Bell departed for Rochdale.

Former Burnley and club favourite Paul Cook was brought in as manager, along with the promotion of Leam Richardson from caretaker manager to full-time assistant. Only 3 wins in the final 17 games of the season was a pretty poor finish the season. However, this meant the club achieved a solid mid-table finish in 14th position.

On 18 September 2014, Coleman was confirmed as manager of Accrington Stanley for his second spell with the club.

On 17 April 2018, they were promoted to League One following a 2-0 win over Yeovil Town

The Manager – John Coleman

Media Watch - K L Blue

We're such a well run club...…………………………….

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/paul-lambe ... -1-5837312

Form Guide

Accrington Stanley Last 5 Matches

15 Dec Southend Utd 3 - 0 Accrington

22 Dec Plymouth 0 - 3 Accrington

26 Dec Accrington 2 - 1 Shrewsbury

29 Dec Accrington 0 - 4 Peterborough

1 Jan Bradford 3 - 0 Accrington

Ipswich Last 5 Matches

15 Dec Ipswich Town 1 - 0 Wigan Athletic

22 Dec Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Sheffield Utd

26 Dec QP Rangers 3 - 0 Ipswich Town

29 Dec Middlesbrough 2 - 0 Ipswich Town

1 Jan Ipswich Town 2 - 3 Millwall

Marko's Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

Sorry it’s late, but here it is. Happy New Year to you all. Away from football, I hope all of you had a decent festive season.
Regarding this years Don Cup, I’ll say the same thing I said a year ago about eventual winner, Bluemike; “It’s his to lose.” Although I’m saying it to Nicscreamer this year. Ten point gap. (That sounds familiar) It’s up to the folks on his tail to reign that lead in.

SHEFF UTD SCORES

Nicscreamer 5pts
AylesburyBlue 4pts
Number9 3pts
Watership Down 2pts

MIDDLESBOROUGH SCORES

Ando 5pts
Derickipsw 4pts
Nicscreamer & Number9 3pts
Kerry Blue 2pts

LEAGUE TABLE

NICSCREAMER 55
ANDO 45
TANGFASTIC 45
DERICKIPSW 43
FROSTY 43
BLUEMIKE 42
AYLESBURYBLUE 33
NUMBER 9 32
BLUEBLOOD 29
IPSWICHTOWNNO1 27
WATERSHIP DOWN 13
JOHNNYB 8
PATTHEGIMP 8
BLUEPETER 7
BARMY BILLY 6
BLUEWILF 5
SHED ON TOUR 5
MASSEYFERGUSON 3
MARVINBAY1973 2
KERRY BLUE 2
CHARNWOOD 1
KL BLUE 1
OHIOTRACTORBOY 1

ACCRINGTON STANLEY Pic:

Match Referee – Dean Whitestone

ACCRINGTON STANLEY 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

arana peligrosa

Re: Accrington Stanley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:30 am

It's an achievement to be witness to another Third Round event of this competition. Not being morbid but each year you realize it may be your last. Voted for the opposition to take it, have divorced myself from any interest in this particular endeavor. That way it will be a lot easier as and when the team is eliminated. Old enough to have experienced an Ipswich FA Cup victory, it will not happen again in this lifetime, it is without any question.

Accrington 2 Ipswich 0

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:09 am

saint jude wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:30 am
It's an achievement to be witness to another Third Round event of this competition. Not being morbid but each year you realize it may be your last. Voted for the opposition to take it, have divorced myself from any interest in this particular endeavor. That way it will be a lot easier as and when the team is eliminated. Old enough to have experienced an Ipswich FA Cup victory, it will not happen again in this lifetime, it is without any question.

Accrington 2 Ipswich 0
Don't you mean
Accrington WHO Ipswich 0

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:44 am

We will need to win a couple of matches next season to make it to round 3.

Accrington 1 Ipswich 3

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:32 am

We will win this one 4-1... Freddie will get his scoring boots back on after the Christmas break....

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:53 pm

Making the trip up to Accrington as it might be a while before I see us play in the 3rd round again. :wink:
Am I confident? No!. However, will go for a hard-fought victory.
Accrington 1 Town 2

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:26 pm

I'm going for a easy win for Town 3-0.

Caption. Now be serious and we could be on Strictly !!!!

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:00 pm

We win - simple as!

Don't care about the score or how, we just have to win.

Caption : "F**k yes - we have drawn Ipswich - 4th round here we come!!"

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:38 pm

I can see a result here. If not then the whole lot has gone to pot.

Caption:- I can't see the picture, am I blind.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:52 pm

Ah the caption pic appears....

Caption.... go on, sniff them both... mum which side, sister which side?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:59 pm

All i wanna know is how close is the nearest pub to this ground cus it looks quite isolated lol

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:32 pm

:) The Crown in Whalley Road, just behind the main stand, welcomes all visiting supporters

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:34 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:59 pm
All i wanna know is how close is the nearest pub to this ground cus it looks quite isolated lol
Mike
There is a sports bar at the ground for home and away supporters.
Had a look on the the football ground guide website and the pub they recommend for away supporters is The Peel Park Hotel in Turkey Street. It serves food and is listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. The downside is according to google maps it is just over a mile from the ground.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:48 pm

Thanks for the info Ash and Tony, thats better than anticipated

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:51 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:34 pm
The Peel Park Hotel in Turkey Street.....
Been watching a lot of Starsky & Hutch re-runs recently and in my best Huggy voice, “I suggest you Turkeys making the trip, you get yo’selves down Turkey Street for some good vibe libations before the evenins enner’tainment.”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:08 pm

Really hoping these previews get a tad easier to write for you due to one of two things, 1/ the team have a great January window and run in, or 2/ accepting League One becomes easier.
Reading “Fleetwood” will no doubt make everyone shudder at the moment.

I think if the team can stroke the ball around with ease like they did first half v Millwall, and IF someone like Sears can be a bit more clinical, should win this one and book a 4th round place.
0-2 win in this one.

Ref caption

Ref: No penalty Mr Coleman. What do you think of that decision?
John Coleman: (picture)

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Caption: ‘ give us a kiss you delicious looking b*stard’

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:00 pm

Caption:

"This is how you ride an imaginary E-Scooter mate"

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:37 am

Great preview Mike, seemed like it really came from the heart.

Caption comp

1 "my mum said we can have a sleepover after the game and stay up to watch match of the day".

2 "I think one of those false eyelashes you got me for Xmas is stuck in my eye"?
"Come here let me have a look"

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Great preview as always ,thank you Mike.

We wont win the cup but by god a win would be most welcome even its "only" Accrington Stanley. I can see a tight game regardless of the differing Leagues. 2-1 to Accrington I fear....I remember loosing to Morecombe and at MK dons so I would´nt be in the least bit suprised to Loose this one,our cup record of late is nothing to brag about.

Come on town prove me wrong.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:39 pm

Well at least we know the first team players will be selected to play because we don't have anyone else. :lol:

This has got 1-1 written all over it.

Caption: "Did you hear Huggy Bear is coming to the match?!!!!!!"

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:26 am

Accers 2 - 1 ipswich.

Caption comp.
" See, i told you putting that kids playhouse next to the pitch would distract towns youngsters"

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:34 am

Caption. i have just seen who is driving the Ipswich bus...……..Kayden f**king Jackson, so much for the big move .

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Not going today, will listen on the wireless. Hope you who are travelling have a good away day, keep us uo to date if you can.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:03 pm

25 mins to go, been a good trip.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:36 pm

Let’s go on a little run and have some cup excitement for a change

AS 0 Town 2 (Jackson x2)

Caption: “I am the evil puppetmaster, watch me fashion a crude automaton capable of penetrating the defensive walls of Scunthorpe, Walsall and Burton.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:20 pm

Great atmosphere in the pub, if this is the shape of things to come next season bring it on

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Elder & Toto start along with Dozzell. Barts back in goal.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:50 pm

No Chabolah? Interesting. Hope it doesn’t mean he’s off

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:11 pm

Anyone seen a live stream for this one?