AT LAST a manager that says it how it is....

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

AT LAST a manager that says it how it is....

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:08 pm

Lambert has clearly seen enough, and it has been a breath of fresh air to hear Lamberts comments post match today. There is an air finality about his comments too, which if I were a Town senior player I’d be very hoping he wasn’t referring to me.

I just hope Evans backs him, and heeds what PL has been saying this week, regarding perpetual loans season after season, allowing contracts to run down, and to get players in and permanently signed up.

On the plus side this Club does have some good youngsters, and I have no doubts whatsoever that PL will be using a good many of them in the senior squad next season, if not some of them this season.

I think Lambert will commence the “ clear out” in ernest now. He may not be able to do too much in this window, but come the summer, a good many will be shown the door. And not before time. I doubt many of Hursts imports will survive, and I expect a few household names amongst the current senior squad will also be out the door over the summer.

We will go down, to me that is a “dead cert”, and he will be already planning for next season now. It’s the darkest just before dawn as they say.

What do others feel about the situation in light of PL’s comments?

number 9

Re: AT LAST a manager that says it how it is....

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:10 pm

What I do find interesting is PL’s comments about rebuilding this great football club. Could this be Lambert’s way of telling ME he’s here for the long haul, if wanted? PL will expect financial backing to some degree for the task at hand, and this is a sort of ultimatum to the owner. I suppose we’ll eventually find out if Lambert stays. I’m a bit saddened that some fans are turning on Lambert; he doesn’t have a lot to work with. If nothing else, I hope he identifies the shittiest players and gets rid of them.
Last edited by number 9 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:14 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:08 pm
Lambert has clearly seen enough, and it has been a breath of fresh air to hear Lamberts comments post match today. There is an air finality about his comments too, which if I were a Town senior player I’d be very hoping he wasn’t referring to me.

I just hope Evans backs him, and heeds what PL has been saying this week, regarding perpetual loans season after season, allowing contracts to run down, and to get players in and permanently signed up.

On the plus side this Club does have some good youngsters, and I have no doubts whatsoever that PL will be using a good many of them in the senior squad next season, if not some of them this season.

I think Lambert will commence the “ clear out” in ernest now. He may not be able to do too much in this window, but come the summer, a good many will be shown the door. And not before time. I doubt many of Hursts imports will survive, and I expect a few household names amongst the current senior squad will also be out the door over the summer.

We will go down, to me that is a “dead cert”, and he will be already planning for next season now. It’s the darkest just before dawn as they say.

What do others feel about the situation in light of PL’s comments?
What do I feel about his comments?

I'll tell you. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to know that our squad is not good enough at this level, we can all see that for ourselves.
PL needs to look at himself and his tactics - his record thus far is worse than that of PH - yet another managerial moron who insists on playing 4-5-1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:40 am

He's trying to do the best he can with what he has, I dont think tactics have been too much of an issue, they certainty weren't in that first half against Millwall, what is an issue is certain players not being anywhere near consistent enough or good enough to execute said tactics.

For me I am overjoyed that Lambert has come out and said what he said, this club has gone soft from top to bottom, it also said to me that he may well be prepared to stay and see it through, to be the man to rebuild our once great club, however he needs to be given the backing to achieve any level of recovery.

I am well resigned to League one football and based on yesterday it won't be a quick flirtation with it either, the shaping of the team needs to start now and that is one area I am not agreeing with Lambert on certain things, for instance Myles Kenlock plays Two really good games and gets rested yesterday so we can take a look at Callum Elder, only his first game I get that but based on what I saw Kenlock better be back in against Rotherham, same with Ellis Harrison, stop tinkering with the team so much.

My clearout would see the departures of Bialkowski, Spence, knudsen, Nsiala, Nolan, Dozzell, Rowe, Edwards, Sears, Jackson, Adeyemi, Roberts, Ward, Donacien, im sure there's more. I didnt mind one or Two of these a while back but I'm fed up now big time.

My future would be built around Downes, Lankester, Harrison, Kenlock, Bishop, Huws, Woolfenden, with the experience of Skuse and Chambers in there to see the transition period through, clearly we need a load of new signings to replace the departing dregs but that is the hard part, keane, Pilkington, Dyer etc etc not sure they are the answer, unfortunately we will lose Chalobah and Pennington too as only loans. I want to see signings of the calibre of Cameron Carter-Vickers not drifting journeymen or pointless loans, this rebuild is massive and vitally important, I believe Lambert to be the right man for the job, just not so sure about Evans as his right arm man to supply the funding required.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Got talking to the In-Laws the other day.
And Father-in-Law said that Lambert had a lot better team to work with when he took over at Norwich,
But, He also said, he's quick to idenify what needs changing, and he always starts strenghtening from the back.
The more we talk about Lambert, and the more i read about him, given time and backing, he can tottally rebuild the squad.
it took me back to when Burley was appointed. 5 year plan and all that.
but for me, if MEvans don't back him this window, i do think Lambert will be gone. and we'll go into freefall.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:26 pm

K L Blue wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:51 pm
if MEvans don't back him this window, i do think Lambert will be gone. and we'll go into freefall.
Yep I’m of the same opinion. Lambert will definitely leave if acceptable backing from Mevans isn’t received.

No one knows about the “freefall” part. Lambert isn’t the only option for League One. Jack Ross seems to be holding his own keeping Sunderland in contention. Bigger club than Ipswich imo.

If relegated........ get Paul Hurst back?

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:42 pm

I think PL's recent comments are designed to send a very strong message to ME. The need to strengthen, recent mismanagement etc., sound like starements of need and intent - "This is what needs to be done.....if you want me to stay."

MM did a great job in keeping us up on a small budget. Too successful perhaps as ME and MM were happy for it to continue. .... until the fans got bored. Hurst was appointed as he had a record of success on a tight budget.

We finally have a manager who I believe has the ability to build a successful and attractive team. Whether ME will fund it is the key. He is no mug; his investment in the club is about to take a huge hit. Hopefully he will fund a manager who can revive the club's fortunes and help him recover his investment. If not PL will go at the first opportunity, I think recent interviews suggest that. And if he does go, we could be in real trouble.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:56 pm

Blue Mike: Whilst I basically agree that we need a large clear out I think it's our underachieving old guard that need to go: the only one I'd keep would be Skuse, and make him Captain. I like Huws but he is a major sicknote so I wouldn't keep him. I'd keep most of Hurst's purchases as they are tried, proven and tested in League 1 plus all our promising youngsters including Dozzell.
I remember Lambert managing Colchester when they thumped Norwich 7 - 1 in League 1. Within a few weeks he was Norwich's manager and got them promoted back to the Championship that season and I believe into the Premier League the following season ( or was it the season after that). Anyway when we go down there is no reason he can't do the same for us. One has to be optimistic. Also, in a funny sort of way it' ll be refreshing going to all these new grounds and if we look like getting promoted I'm sure we'll get gates as big as this season as the season progresses. Am I being too optimistic and clutching at straws? Maybe, but to me glass half full is better than half empty.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:36 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:42 pm
I think PL's recent comments are designed to send a very strong message to ME. The need to strengthen, recent mismanagement etc., sound like starements of need and intent - "This is what needs to be done.....if you want me to stay."

MM did a great job in keeping us up on a small budget. Too successful perhaps as ME and MM were happy for it to continue. .... until the fans got bored. Hurst was appointed as he had a record of success on a tight budget.

We finally have a manager who I believe has the ability to build a successful and attractive team. Whether ME will fund it is the key. He is no mug; his investment in the club is about to take a huge hit. Hopefully he will fund a manager who can revive the club's fortunes and help him recover his investment. If not PL will go at the first opportunity, I think recent interviews suggest that. And if he does go, we could be in real trouble.
We're already in 'real trouble' Andy...please stay Lambert!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:56 pm

RRanger wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:56 pm
Blue Mike: Whilst I basically agree that we need a large clear out I think it's our underachieving old guard that need to go: the only one I'd keep would be Skuse, and make him Captain. I like Huws but he is a major sicknote so I wouldn't keep him. I'd keep most of Hurst's purchases as they are tried, proven and tested in League 1 plus all our promising youngsters including Dozzell.
I remember Lambert managing Colchester when they thumped Norwich 7 - 1 in League 1. Within a few weeks he was Norwich's manager and got them promoted back to the Championship that season and I believe into the Premier League the following season ( or was it the season after that). Anyway when we go down there is no reason he can't do the same for us. One has to be optimistic. Also, in a funny sort of way it' ll be refreshing going to all these new grounds and if we look like getting promoted I'm sure we'll get gates as big as this season as the season progresses. Am I being too optimistic and clutching at straws? Maybe, but to me glass half full is better than half empty.
Ranger, I think by and large most of my clear out gets rid of the old guard with the exception of Chambers & Skuse, I would keep these two for the short term, not so much for Chambers on field contribution but more his leadership everywhere around the club, we need that more than ever right now, Skuse was having a good season prior to his injury and is needed back asap.

You are spot on about Emyr Huws, however if and when fit is a real quality footballer, I would love a Midfield of Skuse, Huws & Bishop and it could be possible in the not too distant future, I think Huws deserves one more crack at it. Hurt's additions have me divided tbh, Donacien is without question better than Spence, even though Lambert see's him as a CD, Nsiala blows hot & cold, Nolan just doesn't cut it for me, nor does Edwards, Harrison I like and Jackson & Roberts seem to take One step forwards and Two backwards all the time, I think if I was pushed I would keep Harrison & Nsiala and mabe give Donacien another try, the rest I would happily see go, I like Chalobah & Pennington and they would do well in League one but they aren't ours.

Andre Dozzell won't be here next season, I wonder if he will be here in Three weeks time, I think he wants a way and for me is a shadow of the real talent he once was. it is best for all concerned that he moves on.

I tend to be positive more than most but the truth is we are in One hell of a mess, there will be no massive backing for Paul Lambert which is why I think we will lose him too, probably in the Summer, he has showed before he won't hang around if he makes his mind up, with that in mind I think a long stint out of the Top two divisions awaits us, I hope I am wrong. I do not share your vision of crowds standing up, not at Portman Road anyway, we have a fab 1500 hardcore away fans who will always go and back the team, some of them may not be the brightest but they love their club and they do it rather than speak a good story. As for the new grounds, yes that is the only thing at the moment that gives me a small crumb of comfort, visiting a Dozen or so new stadiums (if you can call some of them that).

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:25 am

RRanger wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:56 pm
Doesn't make any sense to me I'm afraid - I agree with you that the old guard has consistently not been up to the job, have been more or less ever present the past few seasons, and therefore must shoulder a lot of the blame for our performances, but if you think that then why say that you would not only keep one of them but make him captain? Especially one who can't run, pass straight, or shoot?

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:24 pm

I see his comments differently. To me he is spouting populist pap because he knows Evans is seen as the problem by the fans and he is deflecting attention away from the fact that the team has not progressed since he took over. The performance against Stanley was as bad as anything under Hurst.

To be clear, I am not blaming Lambert for the mess we're in. We were in the mess when he came. It's just that i do not think he has the ability to get us out of it. I said on day one that Lambert does not have the knack that McCarthy had for getting teams to gather points in adversity. That has been proven correct. He is not a bad manager. In fact he is a half decent one... but he is limited. He is certainly not the Messiah that some here seem to think. I doubt he will stay behind the end of the season, especially if we're relegated, as seems likely. He's just getting his excuses in early.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:11 pm

How can they be excuses if the club is indeed in an absolute mess?

Someone either on here or the TWTD thing has planted that "hiding behind Mevans" seed and a lot of fans are jumping on that bandwagon. It's bullshit. The club WAS (and is) in a mess and he's stating that fact.

Lambert quite clearly said when he was interviewed after being appointed; asked, do you think you can get the team winning?
His reply, "I can't promise anything but I'll take a look and I'll see what I can do."
He's taken a look, he's realised they're all sh*t, and he's making sense with his present day comments. Seriously, what else do the fans want, aside from Mevans making "Championship money" available?

Looooooong before a ball was kicked, a buddy of mine said, (and I posted it on here)..... "You buy League One, you end up in League One."
It's f**king coming true. Lambert inherited a predominantly league one side and it's an absolute mess. He's stating it's a mess and he ain't hiding anywhere.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:45 pm

I don't think he's hiding. I think he's telling ME his running of the club isn't good enough - if only MM had had the guts to say so.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:19 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:45 pm
I don't think he's hiding. I think he's telling ME his running of the club isn't good enough - if only MM had had the guts to say so.
spot on, that for me was where the respect was lost with Mick, not only did he not say this at any point (not publically anyway) he openly stuck up for Evans saying its his house etc. To a point I guess hes right but there are many aspects I think weve been poor on for a while, you constantly hear about players waiting an eternity about contracts, and that all has to be done through Evans himself, managers have little input in it from what I can see.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:41 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:45 pm

Tbh Andy , I don’t think McCarthy was arsed. He was happy for the “ easy life”, making us hard to beat no matter how bloody boring it was to watch, and to take the money each month ( a cool £1m pa?). Evans liked him because he didn’t demand funds, it seems. Lazy managerial qualities.

I shall be absolutely gutted if Lambert walks away from us , because Evans can’t be arsed to support him. If he does this I think I may well call time on ITFC after more than 50 years of supporting them, until Evans slings his hook.

I actually hate Evans for what he’s done to this Club.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:40 pm

I was clear that Lambert inherited a mess...that he is not the one responsible. I said, in my view, that he is a limited manager. I believe he is deflecting attention from the fact that the team has not improved since he took over. I stand by those statements. Can anyone seriously suggest that team performances have improved? You could argue that no manager would make a difference with the panel we have. I disagree. But hey, opinions!

Calling out Evans over his stewardship of the club isn't brave or insightful. Lambert is not a fool and only a fool would have been ignorant of how Evans has kept a tight rein on finances here. What did he think he was coming into? For years people here, in the media and in the game generally have been talking about the way the owner has run the club. When Hurst came in and made a balls of everything it was just highlighted even more. He came in with his eyes wide open thinking he would make a difference. He has had minimal impact and, in my opinion, it is convenient to hit out at Evans because Evans is so hated by the fans.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:07 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:40 pm
I was clear that Lambert inherited a mess...that he is not the one responsible. I said, in my view, that he is a limited manager. I believe he is deflecting attention from the fact that the team has not improved since he took over. I stand by those statements. Can anyone seriously suggest that team performances have improved? You could argue that no manager would make a difference with the panel we have. I disagree. But hey, opinions!

Calling out Evans over his stewardship of the club isn't brave or insightful. Lambert is not a fool and only a fool would have been ignorant of how Evans has kept a tight rein on finances here. What did he think he was coming into? For years people here, in the media and in the game generally have been talking about the way the owner has run the club. When Hurst came in and made a balls of everything it was just highlighted even more. He came in with his eyes wide open thinking he would make a difference. He has had minimal impact and, in my opinion, it is convenient to hit out at Evans because Evans is so hated by the fans.
BUT..

He is still right in what he says.. PL is in a no lose situation whichever way you look at it, Its good
if he is testing the water. Who would not.. We have heard about every chapter and verse from all the Ipswich fans, here, there
and everywhere that had to be said, guessed, got off chest etc etc., but there is only one person who sits in the managers seat and who
knows whats going on inside the club.. Everyone else is guessing. We are all going to know very shortly the intent from ME and that
will be made clear by his actions or lack of. Nothing can be done till then..

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:26 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:

Oh come on, no way PL is diverting pressure from himself onto ME. PL is being bloody honest and to the point. For years we have had managers happy to pick up a wage and say feck all about how ME is running the club just to stay in a job. Finally we have someone who isnt afraid to say how it is and he gets shot down. Support PL in calling out ME, its about bloody time we get answers from the owner regarding his plans for itfc.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:00 pm

I suppose it is all about opinions. Must disagree and say he’s deflecting absolutely nothing at all. In fact, on a more open forum than this one with more traffic, I’d say it’s quite damaging to suggest that he is.

Out of interest Massey....., you’ve said that another manager COULD get better out of this team, (but you worded it differently)....... who? At Mevans’ prices? Bearing in mind that Lambo ain’t a cheap option.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:14 pm

In our position I would suggest there is nobody out there better than Lambert and while nothing is guaranteed I think we are bloody lucky to have him tbh. Lose Lambert and it will be looking even more grim than it is now.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:13 pm

Earl Blue wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:07 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:

BUT..

He is still right in what he says.. PL is in a no lose situation whichever way you look at it, Its good
if he is testing the water. Who would not.. We have heard about every chapter and verse from all the Ipswich fans, here, there
and everywhere that had to be said, guessed, got off chest etc etc., but there is only one person who sits in the managers seat and who
knows whats going on inside the club.. Everyone else is guessing. We are all going to know very shortly the intent from ME and that
will be made clear by his actions or lack of. Nothing can be done till then..

I agree with both posts (I am really good at sitting on the fence sometimes :D )

ps ........... Happy New Year EB

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:16 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:00 pm
I suppose it is all about opinions. Must disagree and say he’s deflecting absolutely nothing at all. In fact, on a more open forum than this one with more traffic, I’d say it’s quite damaging to suggest that he is.

Out of interest Massey....., you’ve said that another manager COULD get better out of this team, (but you worded it differently)....... who? At Mevans’ prices? Bearing in mind that Lambo ain’t a cheap option.
I'll give you three off the top of my head that, in my opinion (and it is just my opinion), would get more out of this squad: Karanka, Monk and Warnock. There are more.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:26 pm

Why are we even discussing other managers? If Lambert goes before relegation, Klug undoubtedly will be appointed interim. And as I’ve said before, Evans will expect Kluggy to take the reigns long term...especially with Klug’s experience with young players. ME won’t even ponder a new manager when we drop to lg 1. And you can also forget about the turnstiles getting a fresh coat of paint! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:28 pm

Klug won't take it long term, that much is certain.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:30 pm

He may not have a choice.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 pm

Of course he does.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:48 pm

He could resign, but would he? Would he turn his back on the Academy and ITFC? I think he’d do anything possible to get us back to the Championship.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:53 pm

Evans would be an even bigger arse to expect a guy who publicly said he didn't want the job long term to take it on now, Klugs last stint was hardly successful anyway but the way this club is disappearing down the plug hole anything is possible.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:11 am

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:16 pm
marko69 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:00 pm

I'll give you three off the top of my head that, in my opinion (and it is just my opinion), would get more out of this squad: Karanka, Monk and Warnock. There are more.
You could be correct with Neil Warnock. Would be worth a punt IF Lambo walks, and IF he’s sacked by Cardiff, and IF he wants to manage Ipswich Town F.C.

Although after reading this seasons quite comprehensive match reports, got to think that most managers in the wage bracket would struggle with the current group of players.