January Transfer rumours

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

derick_ipsw

Re: January Transfer rumours

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:09 am

Bottom line is we are signing desperadoes. :(

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 am

I can honesty say I’ve never heard of any of our four signings, this is bloody ridiculous, Evans is taking the p*ss and I can’t imagine Paul Lambert is too impressed with the backing he’s getting from his owner boss.

The only outside chance we had was to sign four or five surplus players from Premiership clubs who needed game time and fancied making a name for themselves helping a hopeless cause (ITFC) avoid relegation.

I really don’t understand why we’re adding these costs to the payroll with there being little chance them being any better than the rubbish we already employ. I guess our only hope is that one or two of them over perform for a few games as often happens immediately after signing before reverting to the norm.

Cynical, yes probably, as I thought Paul Lambert had identified four or five prime targets who he hoped would sign to join the fight, I really don’t believe any of these signings were on his short list.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:40 am

At least someone inside the club is moving their as* to get something done. But before anyone rises up in unison and declares this is a solution to a problem, given the names that have come in, many shall remain skeptical as to just how these individuals can motivate a team or most of all, salvage any league status.

The Dawkins boy hasn't been with a club for eleven months by all reports. Did he take a break away from the game or was it no other managers or directors had any inclination to bring the name in ? The Quaner kid I know nothing about, matter of fact you can apply that to Dawkins also. Two essentially unrecognized names. Are they (or will they be) of any real benefit to this club. One or two other rumors or unsubstantiated deals still not clear (that they've actually arrived as yet), so best leave them aside for time being.

Could argue someone within the club is trying to appease supporters by bringing in a bunch of names pulled out of a hat, i.e. bring on board whoever so long as we're doing business etc. (The fans can't complain if we're seen to be doing something)

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:05 am

So far I'm okay with what I'm seeing. I still think we might see one or two more this window, especially in midfield but I'm heartened by the fact that Lambert appears to be unearthing players with something to prove rather than players that might f*@! up the squad solidarity by behaving like prima donnas.

We have to trust that Lambert has correctly assessed these players, certainly they all have good experience of the Championship which was the first requirement.

Let's get behind them and see if they can pull it off!

COYB!

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:17 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:05 am
So far I'm okay with what I'm seeing. I still think we might see one or two more this window, especially in midfield but I'm heartened by the fact that Lambert appears to be unearthing players with something to prove rather than players that might f*@! up the squad solidarity by behaving like prima donnas.

We have to trust that Lambert has correctly assessed these players, certainly they all have good experience of the Championship which was the first requirement.

Let's get behind them and see if they can pull it off!

COYB!
With the exception of 2 or 3 youngsters who are doing their bit, PL has a whole squad already that need to prove something. Why add other hopefuls when what we need is quality. If we cant get them / or are willing to pay for them then id rather they save cash and sign nobody.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:30 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 am
I can honesty say I’ve never heard of any of our four signings, this is bloody ridiculous, Evans is taking the p*ss and I can’t imagine Paul Lambert is too impressed with the backing he’s getting from his owner boss.

The only outside chance we had was to sign four or five surplus players from Premiership clubs who needed game time and fancied making a name for themselves helping a hopeless cause (ITFC) avoid relegation.

I really don’t understand why we’re adding these costs to the payroll with there being little chance them being any better than the rubbish we already employ. I guess our only hope is that one or two of them over perform for a few games as often happens immediately after signing before reverting to the norm.

Cynical, yes probably, as I thought Paul Lambert had identified four or five prime targets who he hoped would sign to join the fight, I really don’t believe any of these signings were on his short list.
But Andy, surely these ARE players on Lamberts list? Evans isn’t going to know a footballer from s cabbage is he.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:51 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:30 am
Charnwood wrote:

But Andy, surely these ARE players on Lamberts list? Evans isn’t going to know a footballer from s cabbage is he.
They were. They just weren't his first choices.

I know it looks uninspiring, but so were almost all of our signings under Mick. Let's see how it plays out.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:04 pm

I agree with you. It’s 100% the “ team” and sometimes the most unlikely players gel or combine very well with others to create a much more effective, greater unit.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:55 pm

I'm sure Lambert is doing his best to bring in players that can add some experience to the squad. They may not be gems, but they certainly may shine brighter than anyone in our current squad. We should be counting ourselves lucky that players like Quaner would even consider playing for us in our current state. Stop the bloody moaning, and get behind the team!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:32 pm

I hope Collins signs tomorrow in time to play Saturday.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:55 pm
I'm sure Lambert is doing his best to bring in players that can add some experience to the squad. They may not be gems, but they certainly may shine brighter than anyone in our current squad. We should be counting ourselves lucky that players like Quaner would even consider playing for us in our current state. Stop the bloody moaning, and get behind the team!
Cant agree that we should be lucky to have quaner or the likes. More like town are the only ones offering cash for their services, didnt see anyone else bidding for them. Maybe our current squad are not gems either, perhaps we should just get behind this lot instead of signing 'maybes'. Just a thought

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:23 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 pm
number 9 wrote:
Cant agree that we should be lucky to have quaner or the likes. More like town are the only ones offering cash for their services, didnt see anyone else bidding for them. Maybe our current squad are not gems either, perhaps we should just get behind this lot instead of signing 'maybes'. Just a thought
Fair enough mate. It’s just a grim situation no matter how you look at it.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:24 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:23 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 pm
number 9 wrote:
Fair enough mate. It’s just a grim situation no matter how you look at it.
Very grim indeed

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:31 pm

Having some fresh new faces in the squad can only be a positive thing,yeah stop the moaning.Quaner sounds like the best singing so far,Huddersfield fans are full of respect for him,gives 100% helped get them in the premiership.Hopefully we can strengthen with some more.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:58 am

hallamblue wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Maybe Liz, I was just hoping for better quality signings like we had with Carter- Vickers from Spurs, Maitland-Niles from Arsenal and Celina from Man City, but in our current position I guess beggars can’t be choosers. If I’m honest I’ve all but given up hope for this season and would simply love to wake up and find it’s all be a bad dream and hasn’t really happened.

If I look back to the close season I probably feared this would be the outcome soon after the arrival of Paul Hurst and all his no hope signings, for me that was where it all started to go horribly wrong following the departures of Webster and Waghorn etc. Sadly Hurst hadn’t a clue what a Championship player looked like and assumed a decent lower league player could easily step up and make the grade. As an experienced manager (albeit not in football) I know first hand this type of recruitment policy on its own rarely works, far too much was expected from our new signings who were used to playing at a lower level, and we’re now suffering the consequences. It maybe these guys will be well equipped to operate in League One and if this is the case we may be in a good position to bounce back quickly, let’s hope so cos its looking more than likely that it’s going to happen.

I’ve nothing against any of our latest signings and wish them all well, whether or not they were Paul Lamberts first choices we will never know but I’m sure a few new faces around Portman Road certainly can’t do any harm, I just wonder how they long they will manage to stay fresh and upbeat in the current environment.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:55 am

im going to be keeping an eye on how Nathan Jones does at Stoke, when Mick left he was one of my preferred options. After looking into each possible option I felt Hurst was probably our best option considering he had performed in League 1 whereas Jones had done it at League 2 level. But his teams play attacking free flowing football, tend to concede goals but score a lot too.

At Stoke he will have much more to work with in terms of players and budgets. But the main reason I am keeping an eye on it is that if he does well it will put to bed this myth that only managers with lots of Championship experience can do it, Dean Smith did it and I feel Nathan Jones may just do it too. Then my next thought is perhaps its just Ipswich it couldn't work at because of the huge restrictions we have in terms of money. I cant argue that Hurst wasn't a disaster but I do feel perhaps the problem might lay more with us than the manager himself. Jones may go on to do good things with Stoke but had he have come here perhaps it would have ended the same way it did with Hurst.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:34 am

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:30 pm

Town strongly liked ( according to Phil Ham too), to Alan Judge

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... nger-judge

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:58 am
hallamblue wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Maybe Liz, I was just hoping for better quality signings like we had with Carter- Vickers from Spurs, Maitland-Niles from Arsenal and Celina from Man City, but in our current position I guess beggars can’t be choosers. If I’m honest I’ve all but given up hope for this season and would simply love to wake up and find it’s all be a bad dream and hasn’t really happened.

If I look back to the close season I probably feared this would be the outcome soon after the arrival of Paul Hurst and all his no hope signings, for me that was where it all started to go horribly wrong following the departures of Webster and Waghorn etc. Sadly Hurst hadn’t a clue what a Championship player looked like and assumed a decent lower league player could easily step up and make the grade. As an experienced manager (albeit not in football) I know first hand this type of recruitment policy on its own rarely works, far too much was expected from our new signings who were used to playing at a lower level, and we’re now suffering the consequences. It maybe these guys will be well equipped to operate in League One and if this is the case we may be in a good position to bounce back quickly, let’s hope so cos its looking more than likely that it’s going to happen.

I’ve nothing against any of our latest signings and wish them all well, whether or not they were Paul Lamberts first choices we will never know but I’m sure a few new faces around Portman Road certainly can’t do any harm, I just wonder how they long they will manage to stay fresh and upbeat in the current environment.

I must admit I do feel a bit more confident after signing these players, mainly because they offer us physicality which we just haven’t had in the side since I don’t know when. I also keep thinking of PL’s comments about doing an interim repair job first and foremost, which would explain the type of player we are going for right now.
However I do get the feeling that PL is instigating real changes at our Club now , and appears totally sold on Ipswich Town FC. He even seems to be influencing Evans to taking a more hands on approach, ( there could obviously be a totally different reason for this ) , but if we do go down, ( it’s not mathematically confirmed yet), I think PL will remain our manager (unless a much better offer comes along), and will be a major boost for our performances .

The atmosphere/ morale at the Club amongst the players appears to be very high. I think if we can get a couple of wins from the next 4 games, it will see momentum pick up. We haven’t , by and large, been playing badly. But we’ve just been incapable of scoring goals and defending properly. I’d hope the likes of Collins will pull it together at the back, and the three attacking / midfielders we’ve brought in just “ look” like they can affect us positively up front. Sat will gives as an idea if there is a change in effectiveness at both ends of the pitch.

Happy New Year btw :D x

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Yes to Alan Judge !!! Was a bloody good player before that nasty carthorse Hyam maimed him

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:14 pm

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:17 pm

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:17 pm

I also like PL comments that we are not going to be stepping stones for other clubs to benefit from our young academy players, reminiscent of Sir Bobby, a blend of experience and youth build up, sounds like he's going to really change back to our old ways of running a football club :D :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:47 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:17 pm
I also like PL comments that we are not going to be stepping stones for other clubs to benefit from our young academy players, reminiscent of Sir Bobby, a blend of experience and youth build up, sounds like he's going to really change back to our old ways of running a football club :D :D
He’s only saying that because it’ll be easier to make that very real in League One. Sorry if that’s extremely negative but it’s f**king obvious.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:17 pm

I can see Collins partnering Chambers at CB with Pennington moving to RB

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:35 pm

:D yep that sounds about the right format for the all new back line up BM

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:08 pm

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:23 am

TRANSFER UPDATE: The deal for Alan Judge is near enough done, once again just waiting for official confirmation from the club.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:30 pm

TWTD understands Brentford winger Alan Judge is at Town this afternoon for the game against Rotherham as discussions continue regarding his switch to the Blues.

News of Town’s move for the 30-year-old broke yesterday with talks relating to his move to Portman Road ongoing.

Judge, who is available at a cut-price fee with his Bees contract up in the summer, suffered a broken leg at Portman Road in April 2016, an injury which kept him out of first-team action until January 2018.

This season, the former Blackburn, Plymouth (loan) and Notts County man has made seven starts and 17 sub appearances for the Bees, scoring twice.

Dubliner Judge previously came close to joining the Blues from the Magpies in the summer of 2013, however, he instead returned to Blackburn, where he had previously been a youth player, for a second spell.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:23 am
TRANSFER UPDATE: The deal for Alan Judge is near enough done, once again just waiting for official confirmation from the club.
Good news and a good signing a better one than Pilkington IMO.