Blackburn Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we go back to back wins?

Rovers Win
23%
Town Win
32%
Draw
45%

Total votes: 22

BLUEBLOOD

Re: Blackburn Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:17 pm

mugen1 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:38 pm
Massive opportunity missed today :cry: Think this is the game that sends us down :cry:
Really ? still only the 7 points which it was before the match.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:17 pm

Prior to the highlights that you probably saw Elder mucked up to allow the situation to evolve in the first place, on top of that he was shakey throughout the game.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:17 pm
Prior to the highlights that you probably saw Elder mucked up to allow the situation to evolve in the first place, on top of that he was shakey throughout the game.
You've seen a lot more of Elder than I have. Do you think Kenlock is better? He certainly gets forward better. I personally don't think either of them are great defrnders but wonder which you think is safer.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:33 pm

My own feeling is that Kenlock is quite a bit better than Elder in all departments, he can count himself very unlucky to have lost his place, prior to the Accrington game I thought he had Two very good games, no errors and very solid, it's weird to me.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:13 pm

Yes, I agree. Not sure he's the answer but very unlucky to lose his place.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:19 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
mugen1 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:38 pm
Massive opportunity missed today :cry: Think this is the game that sends us down :cry:
Really ? still only the 7 points which it was before the match.
Yes, really. I realize the point difference is as it was at the start of the day, but it's another 3 points gone, one more game passes us by & 3 points that are no longer up for grabs.
The teams above us won't keep doing us favours & let's face it we can't capitalize when they do.
Game over imo. So long the Championship :cry:

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:43 pm

Ipswich for me are down along with Rotherham and Bolton.
Reading is the team Ipswich need to be above but Reading are better than their position in the league, Ipswich are not.

All the fans who demanded that McCarthy go are getting what they deserve.
Clueless set of utter morons.
I think the club are probably already planning for next season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:46 pm

Thanks for that 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:29 pm

To be honest ValleyRoad McCarthy himself made his position untenable. Like Bluemike and a few others on here I defended him for as long as possible and was one of the “be careful what you wish for brigade”, but eventually his rubbish football and contempt for the fans made him impossible to support and he had to go.

In my opinion our current position has little to do with McCarthy leaving and everything to do with who replaced him.

Luckily we’ve moved on since then and I have some confidence that the situation will improve albeit not necessarily this season as too much damage was done before Paul Lambert arrived.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:20 am

Not sure how to react to today. Did the team deserve to lose ? Possibly. Are the players we possess good enough to avert a relegation ? Again, it would seem doubtful.

Believed with the squad fielded we were value for a result but seems errors were prevalent once again and certain individuals didn't do what was expected of them. Seems not many made the trip, a disappointing number traveled to the game if TWTD is correct but it's not so much the attendance that is the concern but the inability to put commendable scores and performance together on a consistent enough level to enable the club to survive or indeed prosper. Won't say we're done for until it's a mathematical certainty League One is confirmed, although perhaps just thoughts betraying the real severity of the situation.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:25 am

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:43 pm
Ipswich for me are down along with Rotherham and Bolton.
Reading is the team Ipswich need to be above but Reading are better than their position in the league, Ipswich are not.

All the fans who demanded that McCarthy go are getting what they deserve.
Clueless set of utter morons.
I think the club are probably already planning for next season.
You really are pathetic

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:03 am

Bluemike wrote:
2nd goal cross came from his side as well. Kenlock for me all day long.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:09 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:29 pm
To be honest ValleyRoad McCarthy himself made his position untenable. Like Bluemike and a few others on here I defended him for as long as possible and was one of the “be careful what you wish for brigade”, but eventually his rubbish football and contempt for the fans made him impossible to support and he had to go.

In my opinion our current position has little to do with McCarthy leaving and everything to do with who replaced him.

Luckily we’ve moved on since then and I have some confidence that the situation will improve albeit not necessarily this season as too much damage was done before Paul Lambert arrived.

Absolutely spot on Andy !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:38 pm

I think it is fair to say most Town fans had raised hopes after last weeks backs to the wall win over lowly Rotherham had seemed to suggest the new arrivals could make a difference in our quest to survive the drop, so it was all roads leading to Blackburn with belief we could pull off a little bit of a shock and return home with something from the game. Alan Judge had been added to the pool and he was set to make his debut for Town with Jack Lankester dropping to the bench, aside form that it was as you were.

The game started fairly evenly with no early goalmouth action, Collin Quaner had caught my eye with his approach to the game, closing down opponents, snapping at their heels and generally putting himself about, we had an early scare when a error from Skuse allowed saw Blackburn get a shot away which thankfully was blocked by the skipper. Town were playing some tidy football but again were finding it hard in the final third and were creating nothing in front of goal, Blackburn on the other hand were getting it forward quickly and looked the more likely around the box. The impressive Bennett had a chance to put them ahead but fired high and wide when he should have done better, Town then had to withstand a few minutes of heavy pressure as first Dack fired a Freekick wide and then luckily for Town a shot from the edge of the box sailed past everyone before cannoning off the post and back out into the arms of Gerken, it was a real let off. Gerken was again called into action a couple of minutes later as he turned another shot around the post for a corner, it had been ten minutes of real heavy Blackburn pressure but we had got away with it, just.

thankfully we got ourselves more into the game and were passing around well with Judge in particular looking decent, Chalobah in the centre was spraying a few nice balls about and Quaner continued to impose himself whenever he could, at the back Elder had been finding it really tough and all too often was hesitant in possession and found wanting at times with his passing. With Half time approaching we almost got ourselves in front, up to this point Will Keane had been really quiet but found himself through as the keeper raced off his line but as he rounded the keeper he took it far too wide, with little support in the box he tried to find the net himself only to see it turned behind, replays show he was caught as he raced through and many players would have gone down, it surely would have been a penalty and a red card for the keeper, honesty pays right ??? Either way it was the best chance of the game to this point. Town's short spell of being on top ended and we then had to defend Two or Three corners before going in all square at the break, despite Blackburn looking well on top for a Fifteen minute spell we hadn't actually played to bad and some of the football at times was nice to watch although we still seemed to lack a bit in the final third.

The second has to turn out to be a disappointment from a Town point of view as we never really looked like taking anything from the game, Blackburn came out on the front foot, a rare Collins blunder saw us under pressure but it was cleared up by Pennington. Callum Elder had continued to look lost at times and was clearly a weak link, this was to cost us midway through the half as his error then saw him caught out of position and in his attempt to get back to retrieve the situation he made contact with the striker who was always going to go down, the ref seemed to take an age but predictably ended up pointing to the spot, the kick was despatched with ease and we now had a mountain to climb.

From the restart Gerken pulled of a brilliant save as he dived full length to tip a shot away which crashed off the post and away to safety. The game was all but up a few minutes later as Blackburn claimed a second from another move down our Left side, a defence splitting pass saw sub Nuttall through on goal and he did the rest, again Elder has to be questioned as he was all over the place and for me at fault again. Blackburn went looking for more and a chance or Two came and went. With time running down we really should have had a penalty of our own as sub Bishop's shot following a good piece of work from keane was clearly blocked by a Blackburn defenders arm while goalbound, it was blatant and obvious but the Ref was having none of it and awarded a corner, it just about summed things up. The final minutes saw Blackburn have a couple more half chances but the game was to end 2-0 to the home side.

I think it was an afternoon that shows we still have a long way to go in our battle to turn the situation around and the truth is games are coming and going and time is running out, even a point would have been good given how results went elsewhere but it was not to be. despite a period of heavy Blackburn pressure we withstood it and once again it was our own undoing that led to the game changing penalty, at half time I genuinely felt there was something in this game for us as we were playing the ball around well at times, young Elder was clearly at fault and while I don't want to be harsh on him we have a local youngster sitting in the stand who did little wrong when he got his chance, it only takes one weak link to make the job even harder and yesterday so it proved. The only saving grace is that the gap of seven points did not grow but it was a chance to capitalise and we failed to take it.

Gerken...(6) No chance with the goals, One stunning save, did most of what was asked of him.

Pennington...(6) Little danger down his side and he accquitted himself well again, mostly solid.

Collins....(6) Not quite the heroics of last week but still looks a cool customer under pressure.

Chambers...(6) Found Dack & Graham a handful at times but did ok.

Elder....(4) Not the answer for me at this moment in time, at fault for both goals, Kenlock for me.

Chalobah...(7) Had a decent game for me, passing has improved greatly and showed poise on the ball.

Skuse...(5) Far from at his best and really doesn't look fit, maybe needs a break.

Judge...(6) As debuts go he did well, saw plenty of the ball and used it well, will improve.

Sears...(5) A quiet afternoon with little involvement in the final third.

Keane ...(6) A quiet first half but should have put us ahead, improved a bit after the break. Too damn honest.

Quaner...(6) Liked the look of him early doors, runs around and works hard, clearly tired again.

SUBS :-

Bishop...(6) Brought some energy to the team and denied a goal by an arm, should have come on earlier, possible starter at Villa.

Lankester...(5) Unlucky not to start but little opportunity to impress in this one.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:02 pm

Thanks for the report BM, but Surely PL will address the RB Elder position with Kenlock, and drop Freddie for Lankester for the Villa game, Freddie has had far too many quite games, and I feel he will be moved on by PL end of season, at this critical stage of the season, we cant afford to wait for certain players to develop like Elder, he can be put Elder on the bench, but PL must play Kenlock next match.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:18 pm

Charnwood wrote:

I get 100% what you are saying about Hurst.
I think McCarthy's contempt for the fans was correct and justified.
Most of them are utterly clueless as to what he was working with and the level of achievement he had with it. Very difficult under those circumstances not to show contempt.
Modern football fans are a farce and probably reflect society !

Rubbish football is mute point because with the resources at Ipswich there is not much more you are going to get. Lambert won't change this !

A lot of Ipswich fans already starting to think its going to be straightforward to bounce out of League One. I very much doubt it.

Also McCarthy is a better manager than Lambert. Lambert is a good manager who given time will probably do the job but McCarthy is a level above him.

Also not 100% convinced that Ipswich fans will give Lambert the time he needs.

Anyway this season Ipswich are down and need to start preparing properly for next

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:28 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:18 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Most of them are utterly clueless as to what he was working with and the level of achievement he had with it. Very difficult under those circumstances not to show contempt.

Rubbish football is mute point because with the resources at Ipswich there is not much more you are going to get. Lambert won't change this !

A lot of Ipswich fans already starting to think its going to be straightforward to bounce out of League One. I very much doubt it.

Also McCarthy is a better manager than Lambert. Lambert is a good manager who given time will probably do the job but McCarthy is a level above him.

Anyway this season Ipswich are down and need to start preparing properly for next
To be honest ValleyRoad I agree with quite a bit of what you say albeit not all Town fans are utter morons, we do however have our fair share, the same ones who now can't grasp their part in MM's demise.

I do however disagree with the part I have highlighted, Lambert already has improved the quality of the football by some distance, will it improve results ? Maybe not but it is far far more enjoyable to watch, from my perspective that is fact. I wasn't overly against MM. even at the bitter end I had a fair bit of sympathy for him when others wanted to hang him but the fact remains it had all gone too far and change was imperative, as Charnwood says it is who we changed him with that has done the damage but Hurst was someone I really thought would be a good fit for us, I need not say how that turned out.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:28 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:18 pm
Charnwood wrote:

To be honest ValleyRoad I agree with quite a bit of what you say albeit not all Town fans are utter morons, we do however have our fair share, the same ones who now can't grasp their part in MM's demise.

I do however disagree with the part I have highlighted, Lambert already has improved the quality of the football by some distance, will it improve results ? Maybe not but it is far far more enjoyable to watch, from my perspective that is fact. I wasn't overly against MM. even at the bitter end I had a fair bit of sympathy for him when others wanted to hang him but the fact remains it had all gone too far and change was imperative, as Charnwood says it is who we changed him with that has done the damage but Hurst was someone I really thought would be a good fit for us, I need not say how that turned out.
Would you rather watch survival football in the Championship and wait for a new owner who could pump money into the club and give it the chance to play nice expansive football with better quality and more expensive players.

Or would you rather play better football but play in League One where I don't think its a given that Ipswich will find it easy, never mind bounce back.
I know for a fact that Jack Ross is well impressed with the quality of the league that Sunderland are competing in with vast resources in comparison to others

McCarthy did a magnificent job at Portman Road on the resources he had. Keane and Jewell who had both won the Championship previously couldn't do it and nearly on both counts relegated the club.

I also wouldn't hammer the club for appointing Hurst as he looked a very good prospect and it just didn't work.

I actually can't believe that a club the size and quality of Ipswich Town have lost their way so badly that they are now in this position. Hopefully they can recover in the way that Norwich did.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:22 pm

I do not want relegation, not in a Million years, equally I want to be entertained, I am fortunate enough to be able to watch pretty much every Town game (some would say unlucky enough), and even taking into account we are bottom I am enjoying this season much more.

I think what we have to accept is that PL is rebuilding a club that for whatever reason has become rotten to the core, there is no single defining thing responsible for it's decline but more a catalogue of errors and disasters. I think Lambert is doing a fantastic job on the PR front and speaking with LOTS of fans as I do they are very much behind him and reluctantly accepting of the fact we may have to suffer more pain before it gets better, this is Hurst's team and that is what Lambert has to work with, I think he has already shown in this window that he can attract better quality players with proven Championship experience.

While I cringe at the thought of League One football I am more comfortable in the knowledge that Lambert is staying and while nothing is guaranteed I think we have a great chance of bouncing back with him at the helm along with some of the excellent youngsters already at the club, it could actually be an exciting journey.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:40 pm

Mccarthy only cared for himself, he would happily watch the club decline as long as he got his pay check, and while he was gone before it happened, that is now playing out.

McCarthy did well with what he had, but he didn't help himself with the sour relationship with the fans, he consigned the club to mediocrity and never stood up to Evans.

It already looks like Lambert has turned around on all of those points. He is focusing on and encouraging the many many good fans, rather than having a slagging match with the few rotten ones. He's gently publicly pointed out to Evans that the club needs investment, and he's clearly ambitious to do as well as he can, not just accept mediocrity until all the joy and positivity has been sucked from the club. He's shown more care towards the supporters and the success of the club than McCarthy ever did. Sing McCarthy's praises and you're as big a fool as the idiots that squabled with him, he would've stood idly by and watched the club destroy itself so long as he got paid and had his ego massaged.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:54 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:40 pm
Mccarthy only cared for himself, he would happily watch the club decline as long as he got his pay check, and while he was gone before it happened, that is now playing out.

McCarthy did well with what he had, but he didn't help himself with the sour relationship with the fans, he consigned the club to mediocrity and never stood up to Evans.

It already looks like Lambert has turned around on all of those points. He is focusing on and encouraging the many many good fans, rather than having a slagging match with the few rotten ones. He's gently publicly pointed out to Evans that the club needs investment, and he's clearly ambitious to do as well as he can, not just accept mediocrity until all the joy and positivity has been sucked from the club. He's shown more care towards the supporters and the success of the club than McCarthy ever did. Sing McCarthy's praises and you're as big a fool as the idiots that squabled with him, he would've stood idly by and watched the club destroy itself so long as he got paid and had his ego massaged.
Lets see what Lambert actually achieves with Evans at the helm.
You may find Lambert walks in time.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:11 pm

And I bet you can’t wait for that either can you . Quit moaning . We’re all in the same boat. We know we’re going down. Lambert has pledged his future as far as he can to the Club next season, and I actually believe him. He appears to love being here. So let’s see what happens and just support as best we can for the remainder of this season .

Will we see you on here next season then we’re talking about League One games?

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:36 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:11 pm
And I bet you can’t wait for that either can you . Quit moaning . We’re all in the same boat. We know we’re going down. Lambert has pledged his future as far as he can to the Club next season, and I actually believe him. He appears to love being here. So let’s see what happens and just support as best we can for the remainder of this season .

Carrowroad only posts negativity. Really dont get all this talk of MM, totally pointless, utter morons. If anyone is to blame, i blame town for getting rid of George burley, oh and maybe letting sir alf go to england job. Yep thats it, if we had kepy sir alf we wouldnt be in this situatiin, fancy them doing that, they must have seen this comimng back in the 60's.??

Anyway whats done is done, time to just go with the flow. Its not life or death, its just a game, and we will be playing different teams, but its still a game of football to enjoy. Maybe some should just go and support man unted as they clearly think their team is the only one allowed to win a 2 sided game every week
. Mind you , disgraceful how they got rid of jose, he would have kept them in the prem every year but maybe not in top 6 , upset the fans, upset his players, not really going anywhere.......reminds me of MM, however everyone agreed jose should go, so why the feck should we have put up with MM.

I propose to the moderators that any posts of MM should just be removed, its really not relevent anymore!!!

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:40 pm

Relegation is looking,if not a certainty, very very probable.. When ( if) it happens we have to embrace it, be positive and believe that we will bounce straight back. This will obviously be dependent on a lot of factors; not least that we keep most if not all of our very good younger players together with the older and more experienced players so long as they buy into the battle ( which it will be) to get out of League One. We now have a manager who has announced, with the owner, that he will be here next season. He has the fans on board and seems to be really pleased that he is the Ipswich manager. We are a club with pedigree and maybe PL recognises that. Let him build his team and let us be optimistic about next season. Under Mccarthy we were going nowhere. Lambert has achieved a double promotion and maybe, as a club, we need to take a step back before taking a couple of steps forward. If nothing else, as a football fan I'll look forward to new grounds and real football fans who support their local clubs whatever division they are in. The same optimism applies if the miracle happens and we stay in the Championship.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 pm

Guys, the forum has been top notch of late but this is where it all starts to fall down and people quit posting. Valleyroad is a St Mirren & Ipswich Town supporter with a very strong opinion. For me it’s a very valid opinion because as nice as Paul Lambert is, let’s just all see how things go over the next few months, because he needs to get a few results. That’s actually the truth.

Really is no need for the “you’d like that” & “Carrowroad” stuff. He’s making valid points regarding managers who can do a job under Mevans’ tenure.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:42 pm

hallamblue wrote:

I hope Lambert stays at the club as I actually called for Lambert to be appointed on this forum.
I think Paul Lambert is an excellent manager and will do a fine job at Ipswich.
He needs the tools to do the job and if Evans doesn't provide them then he'll walk that was my point.
Highly principled coach who doesn't mess about.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:50 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:36 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Carrowroad only posts negativity. Really dont get all this talk of MM, totally pointless, utter morons. If anyone is to blame, i blame town for getting rid of George burley, oh and maybe letting sir alf go to england job. Yep thats it, if we had kepy sir alf we wouldnt be in this situatiin, fancy them doing that, they must have seen this comimng back in the 60's.??

Anyway whats done is done, time to just go with the flow. Its not life or death, its just a game, and we will be playing different teams, but its still a game of football to enjoy. Maybe some should just go and support man unted as they clearly think their team is the only one allowed to win a 2 sided game every week
. Mind you , disgraceful how they got rid of jose, he would have kept them in the prem every year but maybe not in top 6 , upset the fans, upset his players, not really going anywhere.......reminds me of MM, however everyone agreed jose should go, so why the feck should we have put up with MM.

I propose to the moderators that any posts of MM should just be removed, its really not relevent anymore!!!
You've really got to up your game mate.

I actually like Norwich btw.
When I lived in Ipswich I had season ticket for Ipswich and went to Norwich, Colchester and Cambridge on a regular basis.
Got to see 76 of 92 league clubs in that time as all 4 clubs were in different divisions at the time.

Norwich were in Europe at the time and had a great side.

Norwich and Ipswich are great clubs and how football clubs should be run. Unfortunately money and tv are killing the game.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:52 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 pm
Guys, the forum has been top notch of late but this is where it all starts to fall down and people quit posting. Valleyroad is a St Mirren & Ipswich Town supporter with a very strong opinion. For me it’s a very valid opinion because as nice as Paul Lambert is, let’s just all see how things go over the next few months, because he needs to get a few results. That’s actually the truth.

Really is no need for the “you’d like that” & “Carrowroad” stuff. He’s making valid points regarding managers who can do a job under Mevans’ tenure.
Opinions are one thing, and we all have different ones which is what makes a forum great. What makes a forum sh*te is calling fellow supporters utter morons beacuse thier opinions dont suit yours. Fecked off to the back teeth with people ramming home the told you so bullshit, i very much doubt we would have heard much about it if
Town were in tbe top 6. Anyone would think MM was a god, hes certainly not, hes the best of a poor bunch we have had at PR since George Burley.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:36 am

Having a hard time understanding how you (fans of this club in general, not tailored to any one individual) can be a follower of this club and like (and attend games at) Norwich City also. Must be something unique, can't remember such a thing. Bizarre, no offense.

Keep posting though, no-one's trying to violate your user rights. Often things are said that arouse curiosity or indeed skepticism but it's such a small community it's not worth an argument. People are frustrated with the club situation. Lambert - rightly or wrongly as McCarthy's successor - will need time - plenty of time - to reestablish ourselves as a top level outfit and be competitive once again.

Even then that may not come to pass. Someone, at some time, shall take the club back to the EPL, whether it's the present incumbent is arguably yet to be determined.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:52 am

I think it may be time for a.... :lol: