ME club is not for sale

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

ME club is not for sale

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:20 pm

East Anglian Dailey times breaking news.

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2019/januar ... cus-evans/

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: ME club is not for sale

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:49 pm

Dispels a load of myths and rumours from the know it alls.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:13 pm

What myths Mike??
Last edited by Ricco on Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:14 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:49 pm
True, But then again 99% of what is written on forums are myths and rumours, is that not so..

:wink:

In the meantime well done ME for coming out with that, yet another thing for the fans to be less
frustrated about when it comes to wanting to know everything going on in, around and with the club..

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:35 pm

Begs the question even if Evans were to relinquish ownership of the club what buyers would want to invest in such an opportunity.

While you can appreciate the time the chairman has taken to speak out on relevant issues there's going to be many who are none the wiser and deem it another episode of disingenuous talk and false-pretense. Actions are what the club requires, Evans is all very well coming forward on occasion and giving certain reassurances but there's never any end product.

Bottom line while a comprehensive insight into business within the club, it's merely words that will fail to pacify a great many. There's a whole lot of Marcus Evans detractors out there with intransigent attitudes, until the owner in is a position where the club has radically improved or seen a significant turnaround these people and mindsets will always be prevalent. I include myself in that number, never advocated his ownership and wish him elsewhere but then by saying that you're always at risk of upsetting those who are pro-Evans and believe different. Say again, actions are what the club requires not occasional positional updates and reassurances.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:50 pm

That was my take SJ, words are free, I appreciate that he has come forward and been honest about some reasons behind a lack of an investment, and wasn't just spouting off promises about future investment, but those factors weren't unbeknown to us.

He also cannot say anything else regarding the rest of the interview, they are textbook answers, even if he is desperate to get out and has been advertising the club for years, he must still continue to run the club, look to the future and also say he's fully committed, so unfortunately those words mean nothing, regardless of how true they are.

The other point is that Paul Lambert has made it clear himself that investment is needed, so it's not just uneducated fans calling for it, so is a man that deems it worth taking the risk to say it publicly. You can say you only make £30k a year and that is why you're not buying a gold house, fair enough, but it also doesn't mean you have to eat out of bins. There still needs to be a reasonable level of investment and that needs to be met, otherwise it's just more waffle to appease the fans with what they want to hear.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:08 pm

Hello League One for a very f**king long time. But feeling loaded with perspective today so f*ck it.

Hopefully Mevans spends enough to compete in L1.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:49 pm
Dispels nothing of the sort Mike.

All it shows is that Evans has spoken - some will believe he has spoken honestly and some will not. I'm definitely in that second category.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:16 pm

Gary, what would you like him to say ? Apart from the fact he is f**king off lol

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:16 pm
Gary, what would you like him to say ? Apart from the fact he is f**king off lol
Mike, I'd like him to tell the truth - I'm far from convinced that he is, certainly his actions over the years do not back up what he is saying in this interview.

Basically he can say what he likes in any interview - it's up to individuals to decide whether or not he means it

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:55 pm

I know it is several years ago now, but I think it is worth remembering where this club might be if ME had not stepped in when he did. Probably worse off than we are now.

I have no idea whether he is being sincere in what he says in the interview, but to me it makes sense with a lot of what he says about other clubs being true. There can be no doubt that he has made some pretty atrocious decisions, particularly with his choice of managers, but at the end of the day we are where we are and perhaps we should be thankful for that.

The announcement that PL is staying is a great relief and I am looking forward to next season, still in the Championship.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:14 pm

In all honesty, who would want to buy ITFC in it's current state?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:44 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:14 pm
In all honesty, who would want to buy ITFC in it's current state?
Yes, the bids aren't exactly "raisin" the roof.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:59 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:25 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mike, I'd like him to tell the truth - I'm far from convinced that he is, certainly his actions over the years do not back up what he is saying in this interview.

Basically he can say what he likes in any interview - it's up to individuals to decide whether or not he means it
Which part or parts do you think are lies ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:01 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:55 pm
I know it is several years ago now, but I think it is worth remembering where this club might be if ME had not stepped in when he did. Probably worse off than we are now.

I have no idea whether he is being sincere in what he says in the interview, but to me it makes sense with a lot of what he says about other clubs being true. There can be no doubt that he has made some pretty atrocious decisions, particularly with his choice of managers, but at the end of the day we are where we are and perhaps we should be thankful for that.

The announcement that PL is staying is a great relief and I am looking forward to next season, still in the Championship.
Billy, this is so readily forgotten, there are no potential buyers now and there were no other saviours back then, fact,

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:37 pm

That is very true and I reckon a very large percentage of ITFC fans will acknowledge that they are grateful to Marcus Evans for stepping in and saving the club from extinction.

But.

That's was 11 years ago. That's a long time in football. That's the main bulk of a footballers career. The club are staring League One in the face.

Another but though........ Bottom line is no other party or parties are interested. So the club are basically stuck with their saviour. A large percentage of ITFC fans equally wish Marcus Evans would just go halfway into his pocket, (not full way and look like a perv) but halfway and fish out some cash to invest in HIS company.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:48 pm

He has probably spent 110 million by the end of this season in the last 11 years. Hardly small change. Once that would of been enough to make you competitive but when the Premier league pays relegated clubs 20 to 40 million over 2 to 3 seasons what chance have you got.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:00 pm

Let's have a "crowd fund me" and see how much we could raise

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:02 pm

110 million is by no means small change. But in 11 years of the English Championship, it’s not enough.

Not sure about the parachute payments argument. Sunderland suffered a double relegation. Makes no sense.

It’s all fkd. I suppose everyone with SKYTV is to blame really. I’ve binned it. Started watching the Shinty on BBC ALBA. Fk it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Watership Down wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:00 pm
That’s what the Jambos done,Watership. They’re doing ok.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:24 pm

Promotion to the Premier league is worth £250m supposedly, and you get the parachute payments if it doesn't work out. As astronomical as it is, that puts £110m over 11 years in to perspective.

If someone pushed me from the path of a bus, it doesn't mean I'm going to be happy that they've been kicking me in the bollocks every day ever since.

Evans was perhaps mistaken about the amount of money running a club of this size would cost and he may be speaking the truth in all interviews, but that doesn't mean I trust what he says and it doesn't mean I don't think this club needs more investment (logically thinking, not crazy fan 'I want moooore!').

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:53 pm

It does need more investment that is true, but like he says until someone actually comes along with real money the club is not for sale, can't be any more honest than that.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:53 pm
It does need more investment that is true, but like he says until someone actually comes along with real money the club is not for sale, can't be any more honest than that.
No it's not a good time to sell, that's for sure! Getting rid of Milne might have been a good thing if he was the one craping up the deals. I think Evans has got a lot wrong over the years, but I don't think he's been negligent or malicious, he's just got it all a bit wrong.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:16 pm

Yep totally agree with that.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:13 am

I guess it all boils down to a lack of relevant experience. This is what happens when you combine business with pleasure and don’t surround yourself with the right people. Buying a football club for the first time must be a massive high risk gamble far more likely to fail than succeed and at a professional level not for the faint hearted or those without a bottomless pot of cash.

When you look back it’s clear that Marcus Evans thought all he needed to do was appoint Roy Keane, give him a few million pounds transfer kitty and it was a Premier League here we come, that was his first mistake and a few more have followed since, the worst being his transfer policy at the start of the current season.

I can’t say I particularly like the bloke for what he’s done to our club but I’m sure his intentions were good and as others have said he did after all save us from bankruptcy.

If only a foreign billionaire buyer would come along and rescue us as one did at Leicester City, for me this is our only real hope as without it I really don’t see an easy way back after what looks like almost certain relegation baring an unlikely miracle.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:44 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:59 pm
rossi wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

Just to add my four penneth I'm with both of you. In my opinion if you want to make potential buyers aware that the club is for sale you would say exactly what Evans said. I actually read it as an invitation to someone who want to have a sustained punt at getting into the Prem. But you would never announce it. If you want to communicate loud and clear to those who are interested, say the opposite of what you mean :wink:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:54 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:03 pm
Watership Down wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:00 pm
That’s what the Jambos done,Watership. They’re doing ok.
Good luck with that one. Over the years Towns ticket prices have been one of the most expensive. So the "crowd Fund me" has already happened!!

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:59 pm
rossi wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

It's actually quicker for me to say what I think is the truth haha.

He said he doesn't think it a good idea to put a lot of money in the budget for some good players in the hope that will gain results. He said he did that in the early years and it didn't work.

What he failed to say is that whilst it is true that he gave Keane and Jewell money, he himself cocked up big time by making 2 such atrocious managerial appointments. He failed to take responsibility for that, and is effectively saying that because Keane and Jewell wasted the funds given to them then he is now penalising the club as a whole ever since by making only small sums available. Had he have given MM suitable backing in the January window of out play-off season, I doubt we would be having this conversation now

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:29 pm

I get that but they arent lies, it is a stance he has decided to take in the event of having his fingers burnt. They were Two poor appointments and yet I remember getting dogs abuse for daring to say I didn't want Keane anywhere near my club while most Town fans were waxing lyrical about the news.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:29 pm
I get that but they arent lies, it is a stance he has decided to take in the event of having his fingers burnt. They were Two poor appointments and yet I remember getting dogs abuse for daring to say I didn't want Keane anywhere near my club while most Town fans were waxing lyrical about the news.
That's what I was saying - THAT part of his interview was the truth, albeit he completely disregarded his own part in all that. The rest of his interview I would say was all lies.