Emiliano Sala

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Emiliano Sala

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:18 am

Horrific news about that Cardiff City player, Emiliano Sala. Pretty sure he’ll be dead, and those final text message reports tugged at the heart strings! Never even heard of the dude, but fuuuuk this is sad news.

Not sure travelling across the English Channel in a single engine plane at 5k feet and at night, AND in freezing conditions was the best of ideas....... what makes it even worse is the reports that he thought the trip to Nantes from Cardiff was very scary and feared the return trip. These are reports from other sources and hopefully proper news can be made available instead of the speculation.

Very sad. :cry:

Ricco

Re: Emiliano Sala

Post by Ricco » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:00 pm

Horrendous, I really haven't a lot to say or add.

I don't know enough about the safety of these things and the pressures there must be to move people about, I'm sure it is as unlucky and as unlikely being hit by a meteorite, but it certainly does make you think.

Is safety the number one concern of employers as they often spout, and if so, were there any risks taken and why?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:05 pm

One big question is; why not just take a regular flight in a “big” plane direct to Cardiff or Bristol airport? What was with all this two seater sh*te, Emiliano?

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:33 pm

Absolute Tragedy.. RIP...

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Plane he was in was the 'executive' version of the mark. One of the only light aircraft to have a pressurised cabin.

Heard he didn't actually have to go back to Nantes on Monday, but did so to say goodbye to his old team so he was the one that called it.

How unlucky can you get!

RIP

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 pm

https://youtu.be/6JvlP8I4ngI

Terrible!

But one question. Why was a multi million pound footballer travelling via such a Heath Robinson method anyway? :shock:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Terrible!

But one question. Why was a multi million pound footballer travelling via such a Heath Robinson method anyway? :shock:
Yes. Basically what I was saying further up the thread. Hopefully that is explained later for no other reason than curiosity. Yes, it killed the cat, but fk it, I'd like to know.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:56 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:47 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Terrible!

Yes. Basically what I was saying further up the thread. Hopefully that is explained later for no other reason than curiosity. Yes, it killed the cat, but fk it, I'd like to know.
Hate to say it, but I think he organised it himself - a quick day trip back to France, but I'm sure it will all come out over time.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:02 am

His experience sounds like and was an absolute nightmare with a tragic ending. Like others I can’t believe a wealthy footballer needs to use such a suspect form of travel.

I only once suffered a similar experience flying in a four seat Cessna single prop plane in December 1976 on a boys day trip from Southend to Le Touquet on a Duty Free run. It was freezing cold, the pilot had only recently gained his licence and we had an argument with air traffic control in France before we left for home as his licence didn’t cover him to land in the dark at Southend. Crossing the English Channel in this thing was the scariest flight of my life and I’ve never been in a four seater plane prop since and never will.

I can’t believe he organised his own travel !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:16 am

Not posting to say about the players body being found, it’s all over the news. RIP Emilaino

But not sure about the BBC trying to drag Nantes through the sh*t. This story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47146614

What’s wrong with making sure they’re paid? It’s hardly the clubs fault the player died. That’d be like installing a heating system, the client dies, then the family don’t pay. That’s not how it works.

Interesting quote in the article:
It is unclear whether or not the club have insurance covering the cost of the transfer.

Sack the guy in charge of knowing those types of details.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:14 am

I thought I read somewhere that Cardiff City have stated clearly that they will be honouring the contract. I’m not sure why Nantes FC have gone to the press or even found it necessary to raise the issue or indeed why the BBC have to get involved. FFS let the family grieve in peace and leave the greedy fight over who profits to a later day.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:02 am

Oh well, sack the Nantes guy who didn’t see that written somewhere. Especially if it was stated “clearly” as you say, Charnwood.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:25 am

My guess is that Nantes anticipated a payment issue and thought they’d apply media pressure upfront without thinking about the impact on the players family.