ME club is not for sale

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ando

Re: ME club is not for sale

Post by Ando » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:12 pm

I do not understand why he would lie. What have you got that backs up your view Rossi?

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:32 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:44 am
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:59 pm
rossi wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:25 pm

Mike, I'd like him to tell the truth - I'm far from convinced that he is, certainly his actions over the years do not back up what he is saying in this interview.

Basically he can say what he likes in any interview - it's up to individuals to decide whether or not he means it
Which part or parts do you think are lies ?
Just to add my four penneth I'm with both of you. In my opinion if you want to make potential buyers aware that the club is for sale you would say exactly what Evans said. I actually read it as an invitation to someone who want to have a sustained punt at getting into the Prem. But you would never announce it. If you want to communicate loud and clear to those who are interested, say the opposite of what you mean :wink:
I agree think you've hit the nail on the head.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:20 am

I don't doubt that Marcus Evans possesses a certain level of business acumen but his expertise are arguably not within ownership of a 'football' club side. Was there any prior experience within the game when taking over from David Sheepshanks or did Evans merely arrive as a novice within the industry. Even now some ten years and more since taking command it's all pretty much amateur a lot of the time.

Damn shame in a sense as if anyone reading had the finances that Evans seems to possess (and ideally bought ownership) you could implement a whole load of ideas into the club. Point being it'd be an actual supporter of the club that would invest considerable time and money to the cause to establish the club name once again and experience the highs and lows first hand, not taking a back seat to events and speaking out on very random occasions where there's more skeptics than believers.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:50 am

There are quite a few multi millionaire supporters of Hibernian, (couple billionaires) but none who’d want to invest in football. Sir Tom Farmer saved Hibernian FC in 1989 from extinction but as chairman, continues to put in the bare minimum. He knows, (in this day and age) unless Hibs regularly qualify for the Champions League (never going to happen) then it’s not a money maker. Let’s face it, they’re millionaires for a reason.

In my opinion, (and please, it’s only an opinion) ..... Mevans was very early in his ownership of Ipswich Town FC when he hired Roy Keane. Whether he was clued up on football or not, why wouldn’t he believe Roy when he said the championship isn’t that difficult and he’d get promotion in one season? Why wouldn’t he believe that? It’s Roy Keane FFS! He KNOWS!!
His mistake is not realising that Roy Keane was full of wind & Pish and wasted a large chunk of his money whilst pissing off the mums and dads of the teenagers who were kicking off their careers in the academy. If Roy “King” Keane could be sooooooooooo unbelievably wrong, then it was OVER! No comment for Jewell but Mick (and then the fans) suffered because of “C” word Keane.

Must go find Roy’s appointment interview. I know its in the past and can’t be changed for all those people who view life in that way....... but it will answer a lot of questions as to why the multi millionaire is how he is.

And excellent post, Dubai,...., I agree with all of that.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:45 pm

Ando wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:12 pm
I do not understand why he would lie. What have you got that backs up your view Rossi?
I don't need to back it up - it's MY opinion, if you don't agree then fine.

My whole point is that ME can say what he likes in an interview - as a businessman he is no doubt as adept as a politician at bending the truth if it suits him and his best interest is to promote the club in whatever he says. Doesn't mean it's all true, and in my opinion it's not all true, it's just what he wants people to hear.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:24 pm

Perhaps I am gullible or naive, but I accept what ME says at face value & see no reason why he would want to spin or distort things. He accepts that he has made mistakes & wants to see things improve: I also think it's a good thing that he is getting more involved with the club than previously.

Hopefully ME & PL can turn things round sooner rather than later. They both have my support.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:44 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:24 pm
Perhaps I am gullible or naive, but I accept what ME says at face value & see no reason why he would want to spin or distort things.
Well then that makes me your opposite! Sceptical and suspicious, because I can see plenty.

I think the point is, none of us know how much truth he speaks, so no one should blindly trust him and be comforted by his words and no one should call him a barefaced liar. I suspect the truth is somewhere in between and because of that, to me, his words mean nothing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:50 pm

How many years are we to wait before he finally actions these underhand plans of his ? I mean we've only waited 10 years so far and while he has undoubtedly got things wrong to me it is more in ignorance than anything more sinister. All I will say is he's a very patient man.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:47 pm

Completely anonymous for 10 years, no one even knows what he looks like, performs scripted interviews, gets linked with ticket scandals, is a businessman with a lot of money who runs a non-transparent company that helps the rich get richer and scratch each others backs. What screams trust out of that to you?

I'm not calling him a liar, I don't even think Rossi or anyone else is, or saying he has underhand plans for that matter, but why the hell would/should we trust anything he says?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:55 pm

Rossi is definitely calling him a liar, PMSL.

We all know what he looks like.

We have no proof his interview was scripted, thats just opinion.

He was never convicted of anything to do with ticket scandals, sails close to the wind maybe, like every single one of us at some time or another.

A businessman with a lot of money who helps others get richer should not be trusted despite handing over 7 million per year minimum to keep our club afloat ?

Just playing devils advocate.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:14 pm

Ticket scandal does that include the attendance at PR every home Game.?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:20 pm

I doubt he has anything to do with that at all but yes I take your point

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Ricco wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:47 pm
no one even knows what he looks like,.....
Ricco, If he had done that pre-season interview with a bag over his head, i'd remember that more! :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:36 pm

Most successful businessmen are devious and conniving to some degree. They have to be.

I think there's probably some truth in that ME is not being completely honest, but equally I think ME wants what's best for the club...within his financial constraints. Someone mentioned just think where we'd be if ME hadn't bailed us out. I counter that by wondering where we'd be if the buyer had been someone like Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha?

Whether you back ME or not, the facts are that ITFC has gone down hill since his ownership. Nothing's gonna change many people's opinions of ME unless we bounce back during his tenure.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:14 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:36 pm
where we'd be if the buyer had been someone like Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha?
My extremely high functioning, and extremely literal Asperger’s syndrome nephew would reply: “Looking for a new owner?”

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:05 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:14 pm
number 9 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:36 pm
where we'd be if the buyer had been someone like Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha?
My extremely high functioning, and extremely literal Asperger’s syndrome nephew would reply: “Looking for a new owner?”
I'd love to have a manager like Sir Bobby Robson...even though he's dead.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:41 pm

Quick true & funny story about the nephew and my wife from a fair few years ago....... the wife was a bit overweight, (lost it all now) and she was cycling 100 miles a week to help lose the weight., (10 miles to work, 10 miles back x 5)

Subject of weight came up when we were at a family gathering. She had only lost a few pounds at this point......
My wife: I’m currently cycling 100miles a week.
Nephew: YOUVE BEEN CYCLING A HUNDRED MILES A WEEK? MY GOD. HOW MUCH DO YOU EAT?!
:lol:
I think he’s hilarious.