Aston Villa vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Any Chance of Points?

Villa Win
63%
Town Win
19%
Draw
19%

Total votes: 16

Steve and Jo

Re: Aston Villa vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:17 am

My point is is simple, however poorly we played we lost because of seemingly two very poor refereeing decisions.

Won't gloss over the game or the season, we are we are because we are the worse team team in the league. Sorry if that offends but its the truth and i'm not blaming PL for he can only manage the squad he has.

Having said this there has been some very poor refereeing decisions this season, and yes lots of the other teams can say the same thing but this game was a clear case those decisions determined the outcome of the score

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:11 am

Yep the decisions for the penalties had a bearing on the result of that there is no doubt, however, the bit that is ridiculous is that Lambert apparently said in his interview that we were the better team and doninated or something like that, I haven't heard the interview, now I like PL but that is clearly bullshit for anyone who saw the game, that is the point I was trying to get across, I'd already said we were the victims of poor decisions but ultimately our performance over the 90 minutes deserved what we got, nothing ! I'll leave it there .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:23 am

I think PL said that on the back of a sense of deep frustration that we are getting nothing from refs this season and he was fully charged and emotions were running very high immediately after the game. Without s shadow of doubt those two penalty decisions cost Town at least a point yesterday and Villa although better in first half , were certainly nothing special IMO and were to some extent actually hanging in in the second half as we were the bettter side in possession. I just wish PL had brought Quaner (spl?) on a lot sooner.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:26 am

Ps Bart was absolutely shocking - again . I don’t think he held onto or delt with a single shot all afternoon . He was IMO largely responsible for Villas first goal as he stood rooted to his goal line and made no attempt to come for the ball.

Kenlock looked to have , yet again , a very assures game at left back . That position should be his . “ well played Miles”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:35 am

Another game down and another small step towards our impending relegation to League one. Our trip to Aston Villa was never going to be easy and so it proved, the story of the game was that by and large we were second best for much of the game, only rallying for a Twenty minute spell midway through the second half, a disastrous start put us on the back foot from the off and some bizarre Refereeing decisions did little to help us when we needed it. It was with some relief that the obvious inclusion of Myles kenlock was confirmed prior to kick off but somewhat disappointingly from my perspective was the absence of Collin Quaner who had been a bright spot last week at Blackburn, he was shunted to the bench and even more disappointing was the return of Bart in goal, I joked to someone prior to kick off that was us One down before we even start, little did I know.....

The game started with Villa in the ascendancy and popping the ball around nicely and with confidence while we were finding it tough to get a touch of it, my quip prior to kick off of Bart's inclusion had us One down already didn't take long to come to fruition, a wicked delivery from Hourihane was a keepers ball to come for all day long but he stayed rooted to his line and offered no attempt to come for it, it was such a tough one for a defender to deal with that it had to be the keepers job, Abraham was on hand to fire it home, One down in Five minutes, game over.

Town continued to look all at sea as Villa kept coming forward, we had barely got it in their half although Judge did have one half chance which came to nothing. With the midway point of the half upon us we had at least got ourselves into the game and were passing around a bit better but as others have said why the hell do we pursist in this tactic of dropping Collins & Chambers deep every time Bart has the ball, he rolls it out to one of them and we play our way into bother, it hasn't worked for weeks and yesterday it had us almost caught out time and time again. Judge & Chalobah were showing up well for Town and those Two were pretty much behind anything good we did, at the back Collins again looked assured for the most part, young Kenlock had already confirmed what most of us know about who should be at LB with One or Two good pieces of play.

Villa thought they had doubled their lead but a flag came to our rescue, Bart again failing to hold a shot and his spillage saw Adomah ram the ball home but thankfully the Linesman's flag was up, another routine piece of goalkeeping gone wrong. Minutes later he had another shot to save which he did but again needed two attempts to get hold of the ball, it was at this point I said he would struggle to catch the clap in a whorehouse. Chances were coming thick and fast for the home side as the clock ticked down to half time, Abraham denied by Bart who this time did well, as an attacking force we were showing very little one weak shot from Sears that really should not even count as an effort on target trickled through to the keeper, such was the power on it a Snail passed the ball as it made it's way to the goal. Yet another Villa effort saw Bart spill it into a dangerous area where the ever alert Collins was on hand to mop up the danger, that was Four I counted that had been spilled and none of them particularly hard for a competent keeper to deal with. That was about it as the half drew to a close and we really hadn't been in it at all, lucky to be just a solitary goal behind which gave hope to the eternal optimists that all was not lost, the Ref Keith Stroud had played a blinder for the home team and gave them virtually every decision he could.

The second half kicked off with the same pattern, Villa on the attack, Bart spilling a catch (getting the picture ?) and Collins bailing him out. A couple of half chances came Villa's way but were dealt with, Will Keane was non existent for Town up front as no service whatsoever was coming his way, Sears was also not in the game, Judge continued to battle away while for me Chalobah was our brightest player, Downes too was putting it about and trying to win the Midfield, Skuse for the second week did not look at the races and was toiling.

Incredibly we again conceded yet another penalty, it is becoming a weekly occurance, strong protests from the Town players followed but it was hard to tell from the other end of the ground if it was or wasn't, having seen it several times since it has to be said the decision was an utter joke from a ref who was diabolical throughout the afternoon, never a penalty in a Million years. Abraham sends Bart the wrong way and if it wasn't game over before it definitely was now. While the decision was harsh on Town the scoreline definitely wasn't as they had the upper hand for most of the game to that point.

Quaner was brought on for Town and it seemed to turn the tide as suddenly we started to look a different team, on the front foot at last and causing them troubles at the back. What followed next was the second incredibly bad penalty decision of the day and again it went against Town, a good ball from Downes saw Quaner race away and go around the advancing keeper, Quaner's shot was goalbound but a Villa defender had got back to block it just in front of the line, only deciding to use his arm, it was not even dubious and I needed no TV replay's for this one as it was right in front of us, penalty all day long, Stroud was having none of it and waived appeals aside. Town were not to be denied and moments later pulled a goal back and what a beauty it was, Downes finding sears who sent a rocket from all of Twenty Five yards passed the helpless keeper and into the top of the net, a great goal and incredibly game on.

Town were now well on top and the Villa defence was rocking at times, it just annoys me why we can't take the game to teams like this from the off, we looked a different side and by some miracle almost levelled the game, a teasing ball in from Judge saw Chalobah rise the highest to flick his header through a ruck of players and off the post, agonisingly close but again it went against us. The stroke of bad luck seemed to knock the stuffing out of Town as Villa assumed a bit of control in the dying minutes, Bart making Two saves from Abraham, one in particular was a top top save as he got down low to block the goalbound effort.

Bart (6)...One or Two good saves but handling is woeful and can't catch routine balls, at fault for opening goal as made no effort to come for it.

Pennington (5)...Not as steady as other games, beaten a few times and looked less assured.

Chambers (6)....Did nothing particularly wrong, hard to say if defence could have done more for first goal. up against a very tough opponent.

Collins (7)... Bailed out the keeper Two or Three times, always in the right place at the right time.

Kenlock (6) Started well and again did little wrong, a lot came down his side but stood up to most of it.

Downes (6) Never one to shirk a tackle, had a hand in the goal and supplied the ball from which we should have had a penalty from Quaner's strike.

Chalobah (7) Behind most of Town's good play, stood out in the first half when we were under the cosh, my MOTM

Skuse (5) I am of the opinion Skuse needs to be dropped until he is up to speed which clearly he isn't. Bishop in for me.

Judge (7) Like Chalobah did well in a torrid first half performance from the team, good on the ball and wastes little, good delivery at times.

Sears (6) A cracking strike raises his mark as apart from that very quiet afternoon from Sears.

Keane (5) Felt for him as the service just was not their, often isolated and nothing to feed off.

SUBS :-

Quaner (7) Changed the game and should have started, drops deep to get the ball and attacks the defence too, unlucky to be denied a first goal.

Overall it was pretty much as most expected, a tough place to go and no reward to bring home, based on the opening Sixty Five minutes we deserved to be beaten, it is even more frustrating to see us step it up as we did when Two Nil down, we have to have more belief from the off, that said Bart really did us no favours again, just my opinion but he has to be coming for that ball all day long. The referee beggared belief at times too but we seem to be saying that every week. The only saving grace is that Rotherham got beat so the gap is still Seven but yet another game passes us by, we really need Bolton to draw with Reading on Tuesday and our home game against Sheff Wed is an absolute must win affair.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:06 pm

All our emotions run high after games. Yes no doubt PL was frustrated, upset and even wore Blue and White tinted glasses.

Normally he says it how it is, he has said in the past when we were poor. I think this time the Ref got to him, seemingly it wasn't just the two penalties which were bad enough but all through the game he says there was strange decisions.

Great write up Mike as usual and i agree with Hallam about PL getting frustrated from getting nothing from refs. Even a point would of lifted us, only good thing table stays same through other results. The games left now is huge concern though becoming fewer and fewer

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:20 pm

Thanks for the report Mike which is much appreciated by the likes of myself who follow from afar, yesterday was a big golf day for me so i had no chance trying to follow what was going on at Villa Park and when I saw the result I thought we’d done well, but clearly the result doesn’t tell all.

Losing by the odd goal even when out played can be frustrating, but it makes me think we could still pick up more than a handful of points and it only takes two back to back wins and we’re back in the mix. Clearly it has to happen soon as games start running out but a win against Sheff Wed would be huge and on top of 3 points would help restore morale amongst the players who surely must be feeling despondent.

I’ve not completely given up hope yet but it certainly looks gloomy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:25 pm

No worries mate, yes emotions always run high given our situation and it has to be said the last Four or Five games have seen refs who are a disgrace to the game and we ALWAYS seem to be the victims.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:28 pm

Great report Mike.

We appear to be able to play some decent football but why not for 90 mins ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:59 pm

With Towns recent “ form” of giving away so called penalties . I do wonder if opponents have noticed the number of penalties given against us in recent games and now actually look to con the ref , with the let’s throw ourselves form at the merest touch and see if the ref gives it!

That Villa player yesterday 100% took at dive.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Interesting chat going on about the refs..... like to join in later and read the report..... but I’ve taken a leaf out of Bluemikes book and decided to make an effort and get myself along the M8 to Paisley. A lot of behind the scenes issues at Hibs surfaced Friday and decided to support the lads. And Sunday makes it easier for me.

Valleyroad........ are you in this stadium somewhere? And what’s your prediction? 2-1 Hibs for me ......... but im always wrong! :D

‘MON THE CABBAGE!

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:33 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:59 pm
With Towns recent “ form” of giving away so called penalties . I do wonder if opponents have noticed the number of penalties given against us in recent games and now actually look to con the ref , with the let’s throw ourselves form at the merest touch and see if the ref gives it!

That Villa player yesterday 100% took at dive.
It looked like a dive to me, all my work colleagues, my family & the ref looked like he had a good view,I'm not one to blame the ref but that was disgraceful.
Last edited by Magicmark on Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:34 pm

Caption:

Media man edits out a bent over Cole Skuse but can’t disguise chambers delight

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:58 pm

I'd like to believe referee decisions would go in our favor given the situation the team's at, it's not like they're intentionally trying to screw the club over. Just seems too many amateurs are given the responsibility and the club is suffering as a result of it.

The "man" in the middle will always be a determining factor to any game but as before you can't lay blame entirely on the deficiencies of one individual. I thought the team showed character on occasion yesterday and some names within the squad actually possessed an inclination to achieve but it requires a collective effort to gain results and complete objectives. Can only hope subsequent games show an improvement in not only officiating standard but team effort / productivity also.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:18 pm

Having seen the highlights one thing other than how poor the ref was and us in all fairness but whats wrong with Bart's gloves?

Mike mentioned something similar but hell, they were not even really difficult saves yet lost count of how many times he spilt the ball. Luckily the spilt saves didn't cost mainly because it looks like Collins was covering but surely routines saves should be dealt with better. And yes the first goal, the player who scored ran further to the ball, it was right in front of Bart.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:02 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:18 pm
Having seen the highlights one thing other than how poor the ref was and us in all fairness but whats wrong with Bart's gloves?

Mike mentioned something similar but hell, they were not even really difficult saves yet lost count of how many times he spilt the ball. Luckily the spilt saves didn't cost mainly because it looks like Collins was covering but surely routines saves should be dealt with better. And yes the first goal, the player who scored ran further to the ball, it was right in front of Bart.
The goalkeeping coch has to take some responsibility here. FFS work on weaknesses like catching and commanding your area. By the way Jo your perception of went on yesterday is spot on. Even though you viewed highlights like me. Stevie Wonder could see we were robbed both ends of the pitch with the penalty decisions.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:14 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:02 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:18 pm

The goalkeeping coch has to take some responsibility here. FFS work on weaknesses like catching and commanding your area. By the way Jo your perception of went on yesterday is spot on. Even though you viewed highlights like me. Stevie Wonder could see we were robbed both ends of the pitch with the penalty decisions.
I think everyone was in full agreement with that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:51 pm

Have only seen the 3 minutes and 21 seconds of SKY APP highlights. In Bailkowski's defence, three of the shots shown on the highlights were thunderous shots which he could do nothing more that parry away. But NOT in his defence for the goal, and the goal that was offside. How he got beat at that angle and at his near post is anyones guess. Luckily it was offside.

Got to say though,......, it was 3 minutes and 21 seconds of headless chicken defending. Four K-nood-zens across the back yesterday. That alone will be the deciding factor in many fans view of relegation; yes not enough from midfield to supply strikers, (and the good strikers are at other clubs) but the defence?? Granted it was only 3 minutes and 21 seconds, but it was some real shyte condensed into that time slot.

What a strike by wee Freddie though. Watched that a few times.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:28 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:22 pm
Interesting chat going on about the refs..... like to join in later and read the report..... but I’ve taken a leaf out of Bluemikes book and decided to make an effort and get myself along the M8 to Paisley. A lot of behind the scenes issues at Hibs surfaced Friday and decided to support the lads. And Sunday makes it easier for me.

Valleyroad........ are you in this stadium somewhere? And what’s your prediction? 2-1 Hibs for me ......... but im always wrong! :D

‘MON THE CABBAGE!
Good second half turnaround Marko.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:26 pm

They missed an open goal for 2-0 and then Shaw scored 62 seconds later to make it 1-1. Think that played on their psyche because they didn't really recover and Hibs dominated. Should've finished 5-1....., Mallon missed a couple. Worth the wee jaunt. First away game for two years.