East Anglia Derby Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we salvage something from the season?

Budgies Win
71%
Town Win
11%
Draw
18%

Total votes: 28

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: East Anglia Derby Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:26 pm

I thought it was a good performance for large spells and we looked the better side. Two stupid errors from skuse and Pennington cost us but as Marko says WTF was Knudsen doing prior to the first? We just cant convert chances or create enough. I see some are praising Judge but most of the time his delivery was woeful. Good performances from Keane, Chalobah and Pennington (prior to the error).

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:34 pm

The difference between the two sides was the finishing. If Town could score the difference in confidence would be immense.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:40 pm

Apologies. My failing eyeballs :mrgreen: On the mobile I saw the 5 on the back of a shirt as a 3 :blush:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:54 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:34 pm
The difference between the two sides was the finishing. If Town could score the difference in confidence would be immense.
This is exactly my thoughts Derek . All the stats say we were actually the better side , but are simply powder puff in front of goal. We also need to continue with two up front . I’d go Quaner : Harrison and maybe even second half of games one the above pairing with Jackson . With Judge just sitting behind a front two.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:41 pm

Score was bullshit. No way the team deserved a three goal loss but thing is they got players that can make a difference and actually get a goal from somewhere. The determining factor were simply they possess attacking units that are far more effective than ourselves. Can't fault our players for the industry they seemed to possess on occasion and there was fight and determination shown but they're (City) simply on a plateau higher than our own team.

Tried to catch game highlights but to no avail as only audio was in operation but doubtless a future viewing will come to pass. Lambert in a spot of trouble and county constabulary involved but kind of expected in a game of this nature. Had a brief look in on The Pink Un and Those Were The Days to obtain further response and a mixed reaction as you would assume so soon after game time.

Wonder where Marcus Evans was at when the team went down today. Not at the game that's for sure - did he even realize we were involved today and the opposition in question - f*cker needs to act and admit the players brought in are by and large not good enough and the team desperately requires a more solid defensive unit and forwards that can contribute regularly enough to avert such instances as today. Of course it's all a little too late now, the damage is somewhat irretrievable - some response insist it could be considerable time before the two club names ever play each other again at league level. Hard to dispute.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:50 pm

What's happened to Quaner? See Collins has a hamstring, 2 players that would of made a difference today

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:23 pm

Over the piece, the scoreline is definitely flattering. Not sure about the Mevans bashing after today’s game though. Why? Who really gives a sh*t if he was there or not?

If relegated, the team will have to perform like they did in 43 minutes of the first half. Other clubs will see Ipswich Town as a miniature cup final affair and “up” their game.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:41 pm

I don't have much to add to what has already been said. It was, overall, a pretty decent performance and the scoreline is very flattering to Norwich.

The received wisdom is that the sign of a good team is that it wins when playing badly. That was Norwich today. We just can't seem to catch a break. We lose when we play well. Is that the corrolary of the good team playing badly?

Regardless, after today I'm slightly more hopeful that we will do okay in League One.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:38 pm

Ipswich competed and showed plenty of spirit but losing poor goals and no threat up front. Definition of relegation.

Lambert made a complete idiot of himself. Complete lack of control and over the top reaction to handbag stuff. Not good and no use to his team in the stand. Farke winking said it all.

Chalobah looks a player to me.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:14 pm

For me I think the PL, his staff, the players and those fans today did the club proud. Until today my jury was still out on Lambert, but not anymore. I only saw the first half and listened to the second half on the radio. After the first 5 minutes I witnessed a team bottom dictate play to the team top of the league and on their home ground.

The football today was far better than anything I had seen from MM or PH time In charge. Yes it's all about points and winning matches but I was more entertained today than anytime in recent years. I thought Keane grew into the game and judge looked menacing. However goals win matches and we missed that today. We did not go down with a wimper and gave it a real go.

Valley I would rather someone like Lambert in charge who has passion than a damp squid. I do not believe he made a idiot of himself, he showed true passion and did not back down. To me that's leading by example in terms of passion and the will to win.

We will bounce back of that I am confident with Lambert in charge.
Last edited by Ando on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Sorry I wasn't able to see this one. Good for PL trying to set the tone for the team. Hopefully ME gives him tools and we pop back up after next season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:05 pm

Magicmark wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:50 pm
What's happened to Quaner? See Collins has a hamstring, 2 players that would of made a difference today
Hamstring injury . That’s him out for bloody weeks I suspect .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:07 pm

Ando wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:14 pm
For me I think the PL, his staff, the players and those fans today did the club proud. Until today my jury was still out on Lambert, but not anymore. I only saw the first half and listened to the second half on the radio. After the first 5 minutes I witnessed a team bottom dictate play to the team top of the league and on their home ground.

The football today was far better than anything I had seen from MM or PH time In charge. Yes it's all about points and winning matches but I was more entertained today than anytime in recent years. I thought Keane grew into the game and judge looked menacing. However goals win matches and we missed that today. We did not go down with a wimper and gave it a real go.

Valley I would rather someone like Lambert in charge who has passion than a damp squid. I do not believe he made a idiot of himself, he showed true passion and did not back down. To me that's leading by example in terms of passion and the will to win.

TOP BLOODY POST Ando, and for my
Money bang on the money !

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:16 pm

I'm sure Lambert had already decided to do something motivational before the game even started. Yes, I think his ejection was probably premeditated...and that's fine. I'm looking forward to seeing how we play in league one. It just might be entertaining.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:44 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:16 pm
I'm sure Lambert had already decided to do something motivational before the game even started. Yes, I think his ejection was probably premeditated...and that's fine. I'm looking forward to seeing how we play in league one. It just might be entertaining.
He would have said something motivational pre match for sure and even more so at half time. Premeditated red card I can't see that..... he was up for it pre game for sure but there is no logic in getting sent off. The team know PL has their backs and play for him.

If today's performance is what we can expect next season then I for one can't wait.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:58 pm

Today’s performance was certainly passionate and entertaining but with the same strike force as today we’d still struggle to bounce straight back to the Championship. Even League 1 defences are better than our strikers and that could be a problem.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 am

Spot on Ando, couldn't agree more, everyone did the club proud today, people seem to have opinions on Lambert's reaction but no bugger knows what was actually said in those dugouts for it to kick off and yet some know it all as usual.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:44 am

Tried extensively to get game highlights up but to no avail. I don't mind Lambert being dismissed, shows character. McCarthy would have spent the entire duration standing poker-faced and not getting involved to any degree so at least what we got now provides a little more vigor and enthusiasm.

Shall miss the twice season meeting with those..... but then again they get the upper hand just about each and every time we play them. Fifteen months from now they'll be back down and we - hopefully - shall regain Championship status and then hostilities can once again commence.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 am

If promoted, and if relegated......., it’ll be a season of them being hammered every week, and ITFC hopefully winning most weeks. Regardless of the division, winning and losing matters to the fanbase and the feel good factor will be in So’f*ck.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:22 pm
What a good signing Alan Judge is.
now what on earth makes you say that?

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:34 pm
Do you think that if we could score that would sort things out Derick? What about the fact that we cannot keep a clean sheet for love nor money?
It's not just the attack, it's not just the defence - sadly it's the whole team that are not good enough :(

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 am

Ando wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:14 pm

I'm sorry, but the stats on PL's reign thus far hugely contradict that statement

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 am
Spot on Ando, couldn't agree more, everyone did the club proud today, people seem to have opinions on Lambert's reaction but no bugger knows what was actually said in those dugouts for it to kick off and yet some know it all as usual.
Doesn't matter what was said, Mike. That kind of opinion supports the kung-fu kick by Eric Cantona of a fan that called him a b@stard and other similar happenings over the years - players and managers are paid huge amounts of money, should be prepared to accept the cons of being in the public eyes as well as the benefits, and ought to be able to control themselves better. PL's behaviour yesterday - as manager and talisman of this club - was nothing short of disgraceful.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:25 am

I don't get what the fuss is about, OK so PL lost it a bit but like Mike said who the hell knows what was really said. Farkes wink says it all, they were on the wind up, perhaps you could argue they won that battle and PL should have restrained himself a bit but you know what, we need that passion and I personally don't have an issue with what happened. Its nothing like the Cantona kick, this was all on the pitch/touchline, its not kicking/abusing the general public is it. What do we want to see? A derby with literally no passion, just drifting a long at a nice pace with the odd bit of nice play to cheer?

Lets remember what this derby was, they are top, we are rock bottom of the league, if we are honest we had little chance of winning this but if your going to go down do so with some heart, passion and desire, I thought we showed all of the right characteristics yesterday even if some of it was on the edge. The players should be hurting and im sure most are. I thought we competed well for much of that game but ultimately when we went 2-0 down we were all at sea, that's the story of our season. We look good in patches without really creating much of note, then concede with a soft goal. We have to sort this out for next season. I would have liked to have seen an improvement in this respect with PL here by now but im willing to give him a pre season and summer transfer window to show us what he can do, he hasn't had this chance for a long time now. I don't see any value in changing the manager for next season, I think that would be a ludicrous decision but I know some disagree with that.

I know quite a few would like to see our young players in there to give them some experience, in a way I would prefer that too but what if that experience continues to be getting well beaten week in week out and falling out of the Championship with one of the record low points tally. Would that be good experience? I think PL is protecting them a bit but I do think he is planning on building his team next year round the likes of Bishop, Lankester, maybe players the Woolfenden too perhaps. I think he believes in it but is also conscious that this is not an easy situation. I heard Mick Mills saying his fear is if we don't pick up a couple of wins very soon we are going to be at the point where perhaps subconsciously the players and club lose hope altogether and we may see a drop in performance level, I think that too, we see it in games. For example yesterday we competed well without looking like scoring, we then concede the 2nd and could have fallen to pieces, its happened a lot this season. We have to fight for as long as we can and just get to the end of this dreadful season. We may have lost 3-0 yesterday and its a heavy derby defeat but I was proud to be blue, I do harbor some hope for next season although I totally agree its not going to be easy.

Did anyone else thing the atmosphere yesterday from the home end was terrible? If we were top of the league and beating Norwich at home who were bottom I think PR would be bouncing

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:35 am

rossi wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 am
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 am
Doesn't matter what was said, Mike. That kind of opinion supports the kung-fu kick by Eric Cantona of a fan that called him a b@stard and other similar happenings over the years - players and managers are paid huge amounts of money, should be prepared to accept the cons of being in the public eyes as well as the benefits, and ought to be able to control themselves better. PL's behaviour yesterday - as manager and talisman of this club - was nothing short of disgraceful.
Gary it does matter what was said, very much so, I love the fact we have a manager who stands up for his players, I expect you prefer the silent MM approach ? It has absolutely nothing in common with the Cantona thing at all, ridiculous to compare the Two.

I don't get why for some weeks now you seem to be reveling in the fact things are going wrong, it makes no sense to me, I as Town fan am hurting in so many ways and hate what is going on but I certainly take no pleasure from the situation as a few seem to do because it may or may not justify their thoughts prior to them coming to pass, don't get that at all.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:44 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:05 pm
Magicmark wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:50 pm
Hamstring injury . That’s him out for bloody weeks I suspect .
Well it can't get any worse for us if he's out ,the only quality defener we have,guess at his age he's prone to getting injuries, like Jon Walters.
Last edited by Magicmark on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:48 am

rossi wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 am
Charnwood wrote:

What makes you think he isn’t ?..... my guess is it’s because you wrongly think he’s here on loan and nothing more than that. He’s played four games for us, settled in quickly, is highly influential in games, strikes the ball well, takes corners better than any other player we have, and certainly doesn’t drop his head when players around him are struggling. If/when we get relegated, if he stays next season he could well be one of our most important players.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:03 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:48 am
rossi wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 am
Charnwood wrote:

What makes you think he isn’t ?..... my guess is it’s because you wrongly think he’s here on loan and nothing more than that. He’s played four games for us, settled in quickly, is highly influential in games, strikes the ball well, takes corners better than any other player we have, and certainly doesn’t drop his head when players around him are struggling. If/when we get relegated, if he stays next season he could well be one of our most important players.
I agree with this, I think in League 1 a fit Alan Judge could be a great player in the middle of the pitch behind the striker(s). I think he probably will stay as well

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:12 am

Living not far from Norwich and having most of my family as Norwich fans i live with constant banter. In lots of ways its more than banter. I spoken to my father who's a Norwich season ticket holder and was at the game. Yes of course hes happy at them winning but he spoke honestly and said what we all seen. Far as the two teams it is attack and defence the main difference. You put their captain who was man of the match in our team and we had their attacking force be totally different. But we haven't.

I totally agree on what Mike said. i am hurting just like him and just like tens of thousands of Ipswich fans and i was uneasy of Paul Hurst's appointment. I certainly thought at the time signing so many league 1 and 2 players is one way street to disaster but no way am i glorying in it.

I don't understand why to some its like "I told you so". I mean really, i think most could see if you sign so many league 1 and league 2 players you become that standard of team but that is not PL's fault. He inherited a sub standard team and the January transfer is joke. No team allows their best players to leave. I was quite pleased and proud to see a manager actually support his players and us the FANS.. When was the last time the manager actually thought of us?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:29 am

Oh my God, Steve & Jo!! :lol: Your Dad is a Norwich season ticket holder?? Did you choose to support Ipswich?

Holy absolute Shyte, if my youngest son walked in wearing a Hearts shirt, I think I’d bawl my eyes out for a year!!
“Why God? Where did I go so mammothly wrong?!” :lol: