Captain fantastic

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

derick_ipsw

Re: Captain fantastic

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:02 am

Chambers did well tonight, he did what does best all the stuff off the pitch. :D

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:47 pm

Ha Ha Derek, that's so funny i have a belly ache..

Can see what you do best also

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:08 am
I actually think there is a lot to be answered for with the way Town fans love a scapegoat, Delaney was definitely one of them and took a lot of stick, not surprised he found it hard to play for us but went on to better things. Matt Richards was a scapegoat, Sam Parkin, Johnny Douglas the most recent and we wonder why some players can't perform.
I agree with this 100%. Delaney, for instance, went on to have a terrific career with Palace in the Premier League. Would any of us be able to do our best work if we had a group of people watching us and telling us we are crap all the time. No player goes out on the pitch trying to play badly but it must suck all the confidence out of them if they are being jeered and ridiculed week in week out.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:51 pm

There is a line to be drawn though, Massey. In all areas of work there is a certain level to be met. They chose to be football players and to get the massive (fking MASSIVE) wages to perform in front of a crowd. Players who have 1 really bad game in every 2 are going to be coming in for a bit of stick. It’s part of the game. And if that makes them worse....... get rid of them because they obviously can’t handle the pressure of 1/ the game itself, and 2/ the fans.

Regarding Delaney....... can only assume he couldn’t handle working with Roy Keane. Wouldn’t have been the fans fault. He did indeed go on and have a decent career in the EPL, for even BIGGER wages.

But if I employed a guy and every 2nd job he flooded a house; he’s not going to be employed for too long. Thankfully I get on with most people and it’s a relaxed working atmosphere; no one stressed out their mind to get jobs done, making mistakes left, right and centre.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:47 pm
Ha Ha Derek, that's so funny i have a belly ache..

Can see what you do best also
:D :D :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:45 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:51 pm
There is a line to be drawn though, Massey. In all areas of work there is a certain level to be met. They chose to be football players and to get the massive (fking MASSIVE) wages to perform in front of a crowd. Players who have 1 really bad game in every 2 are going to be coming in for a bit of stick. It’s part of the game. And if that makes them worse....... get rid of them because they obviously can’t handle the pressure of 1/ the game itself, and 2/ the fans.

Regarding Delaney....... can only assume he couldn’t handle working with Roy Keane. Wouldn’t have been the fans fault. He did indeed go on and have a decent career in the EPL, for even BIGGER wages.

But if I employed a guy and every 2nd job he flooded a house; he’s not going to be employed for too long. Thankfully I get on with most people and it’s a relaxed working atmosphere; no one stressed out their mind to get jobs done, making mistakes left, right and centre.
The thing is though Marko, if the guy that floods a house working for you moves on to be sh*t hot for someone else surely there's questions to be asked as to why he wasn't performing prior to moving on ?

Of course it's completely different being a footballer with thousands of eyes on you and then the numbskulls that take an instant dislike to certain players on top. I think there is very much something in fans being partly responsible for certain players failing.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:08 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:51 pm

All fair points! But then, i also agree with Mike's reply. 😊

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:33 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:45 pm
The thing is though Marko, if the guy that floods a house working for you moves on to be sh*t hot for someone else.......
That’s not happened yet! I did have one guy who regularly got leaks and thankfully I had to let him go due to a lack of work (not because of his leaks) ...... but a few years later I was asking another guy if he knew how he was doing because I hadn’t heard about him for a while...... “Who? Leaky Brendan? Think he’s a postman now, mate!” :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:35 am

That’s me laughing at him saying Leaky Brendan...... not laughing at postmen/women.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:59 am

Yep and that's exactly the point, the iffy plumber is working to the best of his ability, just not very good, where as the scapegoat footballer is having his performance affected so we don't see the best of him until he moves on, I.E. Delaney.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:49 am

I do see the point in general that footballers come in for a bit of stick, and it will no doubt affect some, but not all. But unfortunately it’s part of the game and they will all know that because they were all no doubt on the terraces themselves at younger ages. I’m in agreement that it’s wrong and it doesn’t solve anything, but I do understand why it happens.
I think Delaney’s main fear was probably Keane on the touchline. He’s always been one for scrutinising the defenders performances.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:34 am

I have a few pals who are ex professional footballers from the top tier one in particular who i’ve talked to about the impact of the crowd on players performance, last prompted when we had fans booing at Portman Road.

He said to me he’s known players who would feign injury during training to avoid being picked for a home game on a Saturday when the team wasn’t playing well and the crowd were on the players backs. But at the same time they would hide an injury to avoid being left out when the team were playing an away fixture.

In his opinion supporters (especially at home games) had far more impact on players attitude, desire and ultimate performance than they realised and could uplift or demoralise as they chose. In his examples a striker being “got at” in a home game would never want to take a shot at goal for fear of missing and receiving the abuse that would follow, so would pass the ball to a team mate whereas in the same situation in training or playing away he would shoot.

I think making scapegoats of players during a match is counter productive and fans who do it would be help the team more if they simply stayed away.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:54 pm

Have to agree totally Charnwood

For me whilst any player is an Ipswich Town player they will get my full support. Thought the crowed is meant support and not jeer?

I really do not understand how anybody can take pleasure in a player being injured anyway. Support our team, our club

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:54 pm
I really do not understand how anybody can take pleasure in a player being injured anyway. Support our team, our club
Oh dear, must’ve missed that post. Where was this said? Was it on the TWTD thing? Can’t remember seeing anyone stoop that low on here.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:56 pm

If I could be bothered to trawl back through months Marko I would but I really can't be bothered LOL, in my distant memory I do recall something though.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:16 pm

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:37 pm

You wait till I speak to "The Blue Spook" again !!!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:37 pm
You wait till I speak to "The Blue Spook" again !!!
:D :D

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:57 am

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:32 am

LMAO You know it makes sense