Kevin Beattie Tribute Night

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

Kevin Beattie Tribute Night

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:22 pm

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/form ... -1-5880521
Going this evening, should be a good night and from what I have heard around 200 tickets have already been sold. Mariner has flown over from the States especially for the event and will be joined by Talbot and Gates.
Hopefully a lot of money will be raised for a good cause.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Kevin Beattie Tribute Night

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:34 pm

Aw man, that’ll be a GREAT night. Check in tomorrow and tell us all how that went.

Paul Mariner flying over especially. Respect to that guy. I know it keeps being said and it’ll be boring for the younger generation, but there’s never been a team like 70s/ early 80s Ipswich Town FC. Outstanding.

And an R.I.P once more to The Beat.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:54 pm

I think we’ve raised around £50k towards his statue: the base apparently costs a huge % of the total cost and this had been donated by two Companies in the area, the owners both of wh are Town fans. Good on em .

R.I.P. “The Beat”

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:35 am

What a great night and so glad I went.
Some of the fantastic stories told about the Beat and the antics that he and other players got up too were great to hear. Sir Bobby must have been pulling his hair out at times! You could tell from what Gates, Mariner and Talbot said how much not just them but all the players thought of the Beat.
At one time during the evening Mariner got quite emotional when talking about how Beattie played in games when he shouldn’t have due to injury and this was no doubt one of the main reasons for his career being cut short. PM certainly was critical of one of the physios at the club at the time who was only interested in getting the Beat out on the pitch at any cost.
Don’t know how much the auction raised but it must have been a considerable amount and donations were made from not only from people involved in football but other sports such as snooker and golf. As was said nearly all these donations were made not by the organisers of the event going to the people asking for them but those people getting in touch with the organisers when they heard of the event and wanting to give them. Guess that shows what esteem the Beat was held in.
As a football fan I have been fortunate enough to attend a FA Cup Final, a UEFA Cup Final, a Champions League Final and several World Cups and European Championships. Each have given me great memories, last nights event is another one to add to the list.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:07 am

Great stuff Tony, so glad you had a fab evening in honour of the greatest Town player ever, I don't think people realise even now just how special and highly thought of the Beat was.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:30 am

Mike, as Eric said last night we had a great side in those days that often pissed on sides with ease. He stated that there were many outstanding players in that team but none of them including those sitting at the table could come anywhere near the Beat.
As I said in my previous post Mariner was really cut up about how the Beat was treated by some of the club staff regarding his injuries and he was absolutely gutted that he couldn't make Beattie's funeral because of work commitments. That is why he came across from the States for last night's Tribute night as no way was he going to miss it.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:18 am

Truly the Greatest player Town has ever had, when you think of some the players we did have that is some achievement.
Mike have you remembered where Trueform was in Ipswich yet? The shop my mum sold Kevin Beattie his wedding shoes from.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:49 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:18 am
Truly the Greatest player Town has ever had, when you think of some the players we did have that is some achievement.
Mike have you remembered where Trueform was in Ipswich yet? The shop my mum sold Kevin Beattie his wedding shoes from.
Derick
Not just great players but great characters as well.
PM told the story last night which I have heard before of when they were lining up in the tunnel be fore the FA Cup final. Malcolm Macdonald aka Super Mac turned to PM and wished him good luck and said have a good game. He then turned to Big Al and said the same thing to which Hunter replied, "I'm going to break both your f****** legs today".
Apparently Super Mac turned deathly white and that may have been one of the reasons why he had a poor game! :)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:40 pm

😂😂😂😂 Hunter! Absolute classic.

All this has put me in the mood for 70s Ipswich DVDs. On the weekend list.

Thanks for sharing, Shed on Tour. Never said this before but I’m envious of people like you, Mike, Charnwood, Hallam, Verulam, Wolfie, AndyM, Barmy Billy etc etc...., and more, ...., who have real memories of witnessing those days. They must be cherished memories. My memories are stuff like David Coleman on Grandstand with the vidiprinter, “and that’s now Ipswich Town 6 Manchester United 0......”
👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:06 pm

Derick, something tells me it may have been in Carr St but I am not sure, long time ago now, definitely remember the shop though.

As for The Beattie thing about playing when he was unfit, it was largely understood to be Robson so keen to have him play that instruction was given for the Beat to keep having injections which ultimately f*cked him up.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:34 am

Derick - True Form shoes was on Dial Lane. If you google True Form Shoes Ipswich, there is an old Ipswich Star article that talks about all of the shops that used to be in town. True Form is mentioned and there is even a picture if the shop! I was researching stuff a while ago cos my Dad was trying to remember and it rang a bell when I saw your post. This is the link https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/days ... -1-4539352 😀 Have a google and see - enjoy! 👍

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:46 am

Just re-looked and the shop was on Tavern Street. It is clearly mentioned and pictured in the article.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:08 am

Tavern Street !!!! I wasn't far off with Carr St. Then

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:27 pm

Cheers Bluewilf interesting.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:25 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:34 am
Derick - True Form shoes was on Dial Lane. If you google True Form Shoes Ipswich, there is an old Ipswich Star article that talks about all of the shops that used to be in town. True Form is mentioned and there is even a picture if the shop! I was researching stuff a while ago cos my Dad was trying to remember and it rang a bell when I saw your post. This is the link https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/days ... -1-4539352 😀 Have a google and see - enjoy! 👍

Unbelievable Blue Wilf, just spotted my ex-Father in Law on the 1974 photograph walking down Carr Street. Just sent a copy to my ex wife.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:13 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:25 am
Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:34 am

Unbelievable Blue Wilf, just spotted my ex-Father in Law on the 1974 photograph walking down Carr Street. Just sent a copy to my ex wife.
Hope that woman with the bike in picture one got the fk out of the way of that van. Fk all changes eh? Arseholes with bikes existed in 1974 as well.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:53 am

Thats nice Charny! Its certainly a scene I remember well - i also remember being chased by Liverpool fans down there when they invaded us in the 70's and I was a young teenager thinking i was harder than i was and when that lot arrived we got a bit of comeuppance! 😬

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:36 pm

Lots of those pictures reminded me of my childhood and teenage years. Do you remember the White Horse Hotel in Tavern Street, I guess it is long gone by now. Back in 1962 when Town played Milan in the European Cup the Milan team were staying there and with a pal we went there at lunchtime on match day to get the players autographs. They were so friendly and accommodating and I managed to get every players autograph whilst sitting around in the public area, I even managed to get in a photograph sitting with the players which was printed in the Evening Star. I bet nowadays kids would find it much more difficult getting close to their football idols unless they are privileged to have well kept secrets about where teams are staying.
As I’m sure you know Town won the match 2-1 at Portman Road in front of a full house of 37000 fans although we lost the tie 4-2 on aggregate. Not a bad result against a brilliant Milan team which went on to win the European Cup for their first tim winning 2-1 against defending Champions Benfica in the final played at Wembley.

By the way Wilf, my ex wife confirmed it was her dad in the picture and her mum is there too, I think she felt quite strange seeing them there and found it incredible especially me sending it to her from Spain.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:54 pm

My ex wife would’ve told me to shove the picture up my arse.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:55 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:54 pm
My ex wife would’ve told me to shove the picture up my arse.
She probably would have done a few years ago Marko.