Ipswich Town vs Reading FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3 points or bust?

Town Win
87%
Reading Win
13%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 15

derick_ipsw

Re: Ipswich Town vs Reading FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:24 pm

Oh dear big Hill to climb now and it's that tw*t from scum :x

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:45 pm

3-0 Villa? Lampard out.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:59 pm

Holy sh!t, 4-0 Villa. Lampard REALLY the fk out.

trek5500

Post by trek5500 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:04 pm

Olivera was giving it large after he scored in front of the Bobby Robson

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:06 pm

Its YOUR fault Hallam!!! :shock:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:11 pm

Just found the match on tv, but shocked to see us losing in what sounds like a messy game..

Positive half time changes, sh*t or bust it is with three up front.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:18 pm

Don't understand the substitutions personally. We need 2 goals minimum and he brings on Skuse. Where is Jackson a striker ffs.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:27 pm

23009 wow .... what an attendance

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:35 pm

Amazing what happens when you charge £12 instead of 30.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:46 pm

It looks to me like the substitutions have worked fine, goal from Edwards assist by Skuse !

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:54 pm

You were saying :roll:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:46 pm
It looks to me like the substitutions have worked fine, goal from Edwards assist but Skuse !
Quaner given assist by the BBC.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:05 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:00 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:46 pm
It looks to me like the substitutions have worked fine, goal from Edwards assist but Skuse !
Quaner given assist by the BBC.
You’re right Derek but I think you’ll find Skuse was involved.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:07 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:54 pm

Fuckin demoralising but I guess we had to go all out for all three points cos 1 would have been no use whatsoever.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:08 pm

Just got out of work to see the result. Gutted isn't the word for how i feel at the minute :(

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Just sat my arse down on my seat at Easter Road and checked result before KO. Shocked and I do not know why. But that’s it. Season the absolute f*ck over. 🤬

Over to you, Hibs. Make the weekend better.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:31 pm

Sad day - all about planning for league one now

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:58 pm

No point in long review tonight. Simply out, we are sh#t at the back and have no pace there. Midfield lacks bite and creativity and we have no attacking threat of note. We are down and its very sad. The mood will pick up again as the new season approaches but it has been the hardest season ever as a Town fan.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:09 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:07 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:

Fuckin demoralising but I guess we had to go all out for all three points cos 1 would have been no use whatsoever.
That's why we needed a second striker.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:16 pm

The defending for both goals was sh*te Chambers done for pace for the first and Niasla and Chambers again for the 2nd..

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:24 pm

Just back from the game. Shocking first half. The changes made a difference, especially Edwards, and skuse made the midfield better.

Quaner is pointless and a donkey. We lack any goal threat, and are always hoofing it forward which will never work.

Judge worked like a slave and deserves massive praise but his dead ball delivery is crap.

We were down before today, but that result shuts the door firmly in our face. Roll on league one and a chance to hopefully win some games.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:32 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:09 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:07 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:

That's why we needed a second striker.

According to Mick Mills (who was commentating on the tv coverage I was following) Town switched to 4:3:3 in the second half when our shots on target went up from 1 in the first half to 5 in the second. Surely that suggests we were better going forward after the substitutions. More the worry for me albeit irrelevant now is how fragile our defence is. How the f*ck did we concede 2 goals to a side which had only scored 3 in their previous 10 away games.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:44 pm

Please please please, no more nonsensical chat about the impossible escape, we are down, going down quicker than a fat kid on a see-saw, we have been for weeks and today pretty much makes it official, to be honest it was no more than we deserved as I cannot for the life of me accept how lacklustre our first half performance was given that it was being billed as the biggest game of this or any other season and players coming out in the press saying this and that, you cannot fail to turn up for Forty Five minutes against team in the Championship and expect to win but that is what we did, yes we gave it a right good go for the second period and gave it our all but it had to be like that from the off, the damage was done in the first half and we paid a massively heavy price.

The game started in a very scrappy fashion with little by way of quality on show, chances were non existent as Town tried to get a grip of the game, in fact it was reading that looked the more likely side when going forward but neither side threatened the oppositions goal. that was all to change on Twenty minutes as we fell behind to a really poor goal, the defence once again being caught out by a high ball pumped forward, chambers is caught totally flat footed as McLeary races clear, his ball to Oliveira finds the striker in acres of space with all the time in the world to compose himself before placing the ball past Bart in the Town goal, all Town's defenders seemed to get drawn towards the ball and nobody picked up the former scummer who was free in the box.

The goal seemed to galvanise reading who proceeded to dominate with Two or Three chances coming their way, thankfully only One on target which Bart dealt with easily but they were warning signs for Town. Our attacking options seemed non existent with Quaner looking anything but comfortable leading the line on his own while we had found it hard to get Bishop on the ball, Collins was clearly struggling from early on and was replaced by Toto Nsiala, another poor decision in bringing the veteran Defender back perhaps. With the half moving into the last few minutes Town had what was probably their best spell of the half, first judge saw his effort saved before the impressive Jon Nolan who had been Town's best player to this point should really have scored, finally some good work from Quaner saw the ball find it's way to bishop and then Nolan who hit his shot crisply but somehow Martinez kept it out when it looked like a certain goal for Town, players and fans alike held their heads in disbelief. It really had been a bit of a no show from Town in truth given the importance of the occasion and things needed to greatly improve if we were going to find a way back into the game.

Paul Lambert rang the changes with Gwion Edwards and Cole Skuse coming on for Chalobah & Bree as we switched to a 4-3-3 attacking formation, and the improvement was pretty instant. Edwards had an immediate impact with his trickery and running at the reading defence while Judge too was now calling the shots and involved in much of Town's good play, it was Judge who tested Martinez with a decent strike soon after as Town were stepping it up. It was all Town now and a rare Skuse effort just cleared the bar before Bishop, who was now very much involved, appeared to be brought down in the box but no luck with that one. Edwards and Judge were now causing havoc as crosses from either side were being flung in, Martinez had to be alert to tip one away before Bishop got his head on a Judge cross but it was well held by the keeper again.

Finally with the clock running down we got our equaliser, yet another ball was swung into the box where first Skuse and then Quaner helped it on for Edwards to arrive at the far post and fire it home, it really was game on now. The dying minutes were a disappointment as Town failed to make their dominance count and Reading regained some sort of control on proceedings, as is the norm these days a second Reading goal comes in the dying stages to send us to yet another defeat. A ball from the right finds the Reading man in a bit of space, Bart does his usual dithering and bang, 2-1 it is and game and Championship status over. The disappointing thing is I felt there was a foul in the build up to the goal, I believe it was on Nolan.

I must say for me the first half was a big let down in terms of passion and drive, had we played like we did in the second half all game I believe we win it, it was do or die and we choked and once again made it a mountain to climb. People will look at the second half and the fact Martinez made Three cracking saves during the game and say we did not deserve to lose but for me deserved what we got, it was up to us to take the game to them and we didn't. I feel with hindsight we got the formation and tactics wrong too, clearly bringing Collins back was a dreadful misjudgement as he broke down again while playing Quaner as a lone striker is a joke as he cannot lead the line alone, after the break we got it right but too little too late.

Bart....(6) Not overly busy but looked iffy for the second goal with his dithering again.

Bree...(5) Not up to the performance of last week and seemed uncomfortable at RWB this time

Chambers...(6) Caught out for the first goal and so nearly grabbed a late late equaliser.

Collins...(5) Started ok but we have another sicknote on our hands

Pennington...(7) Oh how I wish he was going to be here next season, pick of the defenders.

Kenlock....(6) Steady and worked hard to get forward, close to a tap in during second half.

Chalobah....(5) Found it tough first half and didn't see a lot of the ball, sacrificed at HT.

Nolan...(7) A good game from Nolan as his improvement continues, really should have scored but got forward well and battled manfully all game.

Bishop...(6) Didn't get on the ball enough first half, much better after the interval, maybe should have had a penalty.

Judge...(7) Great second half and caused Reading's defence loads of problems, at the heart of most of our good moves.

Quaner...(5) Not the target man we needed, had a hand in the goal but little else of note.

SUBS :-

Edwards....(7) Made a massive difference and at times superb with his quick feet and delivery, got the crucial goal, gave it everything.

Skuse....(6) Made a difference when he came on as the formation suited us much better, close to a collectors item goal, hand in our goal too.

Nsiala...(7) A really good effort at both ends of the pitch, never shirks a challenge, one cross field ball was sublime, needs to play more.

So League One it is in case anyone didn't realise before today, I think now is the time to ditch the players who are not going to be here next season and start preparing for like in the lower echelons of League Football, Downes, Dozzell, Woolfenden etc all need to be given some game time, even the likes of jackson who is ours needs to now play, no point in carrying on with Chalobah, Quaner, Pennington etc as they will be gone real soon. Such is our plight we could be officially a league One side in Four or Five games time, at least we will all be put out of our misery. I am gutted tonight but resigned to it some time ago. Ipswich Til I Die.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:06 pm

Totally agree Mike we should start using are own players. Unfortunately PL will not do this until it is mathematically certain we are down. :shock:

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:15 pm

Hasn’t that been the problem for a long time?
The players all know it is a must win game,give it all the talk before the game and then bottle it actually playing!

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks for the report Mike, just don’t understand why when things are desperate we only seem to be playing better after half time lately.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:32 pm

Can't really add much to what's already been said. The first half formation was our downfall we were too open and it allowed Reading space to play and both our full back had a torrid time. Saying that apart from the goal town had the best chance and bishop should score from the position he found himself in. Bishop playing as a 2nd striker just did not work.

Moving to 4-4-2 giving judge a free role along with the substitutions completely changed the game and we certainly dominated the second half but without creating enough guilt edge chances. With judge pulling wide to either flank allowed us to have overloads and put crosses into the box but we did not get enough bodies in the box to capilise.

Our goal was nothing more than we deserved and Reading bearly threatened second half. Nsiala played well but was at fault for the second goal whiteout doubt, you can't allow a forward to turn like that after receiving a long ball up to him.

Although the result sucks I did enjoy our second half performance. We just came up short again.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:11 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:31 pm
Sad day - all about planning for league one now
Think we have been planning or resigning to the fact we will be in league one for months,I've excepted it now,oh well it will be something different,might actually win some games

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:20 pm

Agree with Bluemike's report except I wouldn't blame Bart for the second goal. Nsalia pretty well totally responsible, although Chambers was also beaten too easily. Chambers also at fault with the first.

I can't think how many poor goals we have given away this season. Bloody terrible.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:11 pm

This must surely go down as the worst Town season in my lifetime, sadly I blame our owner Marcus Evans which may sound harsh but his lack of investment and poor decisions have guided us to where we are. Unfortunately under his ownership I don’t see anyway back anytime soon.