Ipswich Town vs Reading FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3 points or bust?

Town Win
87%
Reading Win
13%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 15

arana peligrosa

Re: Ipswich Town vs Reading FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:41 pm

Only got the score a short time ago, surprised to learn of defeat, thought ahead of time there was three points to be had this afternoon. No sense in debating the relegation issue, the club is f*cked regards that one, but would have liked to have held out until the end before they stole it.

Can't be bothered to argue the manager, the record thus far since being appointed in October is in truth sub-standard, but then you'll invariably run the risk of upsetting those who believe he can do no wrong. Players aren't good enough, there's no consistency, and as for the pr*ck who runs the show, arguably the worst ownership you can recall. Team's going down because they're not of second league standard clear and simple. Can argue it as long as you insist but that's the absolute sum of it.

Possibly the most depressing, uneventful season I can remember having an interest in this club side, and by God there's been a few.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:23 am

League One it is then, and hats off to that tossa Hurst: he took a mid table Championship squad and transformed it into a League One squad in under a month over the summer .

Thanks for that you utter tw*t!

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:49 am

I'm gutted. It's been obvious for quite a while that we are going down but I really thought we could get three points today. Now even the fans who, heretofore, held out some small hope that we could stay up have had their hopes dashed.

I'm afraid that, in my opinion, the manager is not good enough. PL has been great for repairing relations with fans. That's all very well and good but it's results that count and the results have been really disappointing since PL took over. Hurst was a disaster and, in large part, the players he brought were not ready for the Championship. We were in deep trouble when PL took over but the harsh reality is that we are further adrift at the bottom of the league than we were when he came on board.

In the transfer window he brought in players that should have helped stabilise the situation. Some of them are good players at this level yet we continue to struggle. I've held the view from day one that PL is a decent, though not a great, manager. My biggest concern was that he is not a manager whose teams eke out results in adversity. By and large my fears have been vindicated.

I hate the thought that we are going to be playing League 1 football next year.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:59 am

I know you are hurting too Massey but as for your reservations about PL - just who did you expect is to get in at that time? Guardiola? Mourinho? Oh and lets then bring in Messi and Aguero (when we were 7 points adrift at the bottom of the championship) as they will want to help us out... PL is the best we can get and yes results have not been great but I feel we have our club back and am looking forward to the journey - no matter how painful the first few steps may be. We do also need to have a dose of reality and I think we are getting it. Its not PL's fault we are here and at least he is committed to the fightback so he gets my support 100%.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:13 am

I’ve got NO reservations about Paul Lambert.

This season is 100% Hurst’s legacy, and Paul Lambert coming in at November had been able to do little with the crap squad he’s inhereited. He had to “wait” until the Jam window before he could try and secure any Chzmpionship experience , and as we should all know , Clubs rarely do meaningful business in the January window, let alone attempt a wholesale rebuild of a woefully inadequate squad for this level .

Just wtf was Lambert supposed to do in FOUR weeks???

Lamberts real work starts now . ( see thread
“ Right - who would you keep” and offer suggestions please . Thanks guys x

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:21 am

To be fair Massey is not the only one to voice his concerns about PL.
I did the same when he was appointed. His record at Stoke was poor, I believe it was 2 wins out of 17 and it has not improved since he has been with us. Yes at both clubs you can say he has been dealt a poor hand but at the end of the day he was brought in by both to try and improve results to avoid the drop.
I agree he has done a great job on the PR side and has brought the fans together. However, at the end of the day like any manager he will be judged on results. Next season is not only going to be a huge one for ITFC but also for PL as he really needs to start to have some success again showing on his CV.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:32 am

I am with Blue Wilf on this one, no way was I keen when PL was appointed but he has galvanised the club, not so much the team but the club, and that was the most important thing at the time, even above results because the club was dying, we can argue all day long about who's fault it was that we are where we are but it is not any one thing or any one persons fault, it is a culmination of disasters but the one person it most definitely isn't down to is Paul Lambert, as Wilf says we have our club back again, I have heard not One single boo since his arrival and for Town fans that is saying something. I can also list a fair few games where we were by far deserving of a win only to be undone by a ridiculous error or poor decision, neither of those scenarios can be pointed in Lambert's direction for blame either, if you have a keeper who can't catch or a defender who can't tackle/head errors happen and that is what has been our downfall, I am sure given a full pre season Lambert will eradicate these culprits and build his own team for League One cus this most certainly is not his team.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:47 pm

I have no problem if people have a view that PL may not be the right person long term - time will tell - but my main question back to Massey - and you Shed, is - who else did you think we could get at that point that you think may have had a better chance or do more? I remember at the time we were all struggling to find names and now it would be even harder! I think we should count our lucky stars ro have PL in our current predicament. I am not saying he will be the next statue but I can't think of anyone more deserving of our support right now...

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:07 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:47 pm
I have no problem if people have a view that PL may not be the right person long term - time will tell - but my main question back to Massey - and you Shed, is - who else did you think we could get at that point that you think may have had a better chance or do more? I remember at the time we were all struggling to find names and now it would be even harder! I think we should count our lucky stars ro have PL in our current predicament. I am not saying he will be the next statue but I can't think of anyone more deserving of our support right now...
It's a fair question and I can't recall now what other potential managers might have been available at the time of Hurst's departure. All I will say is that, when PL was appointed, I expressed the same reservation then as i did in my post above: teams that he manages tend not to get vital points when they are under the cosh. He was taking over a struggling team and I didn't think then, and still don't think, he is the right manager for a team in that position.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:25 pm

Understood and respect your opinion on it - but who would be the right manager? I can't think of anyone who realistically would have come to us then, or now who has a better pedigree than PL (ie has taken a team up from league 1 and managed in the Prem and the Championship). His results to date are agreed, less than impressive but I don't think anyone could have got us out of the mire without throwing huge sums of money at it - and even then, at that stage of the season, players of quality are unlikely to have been available anyway. Sorry to labour the point but I guess I just get frustrated when it is said that this manager is wrong or that manager is wrong - we have to be realistic about where we are today - we are no longer a big draw in english football - although, as PL has stated on many occasions, we could be if we get things moving in the right direction. If you can name someone who is realistically available to do that job, I would love to hear their name as I consider myself to be fairly well versed in most things football but if I have missed a candidate, I will hold my hands up!

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:00 pm

Totally agree with bluewilf.... there really was no one I can think of who was/is available that would ..
A. Come to Ipswich, especially in our predicament
B. Do a better job of bringing the club back together
C. Have a better chance of getting us back from league one,

Pl has a record of doing C and I am very very happy with B, and he was about the only choice A

Results have not been good, but the rot had set in already and the ship was flooded before he arrived.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:49 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:25 pm
Understood and respect your opinion on it - but who would be the right manager? I can't think of anyone who realistically would have come to us then, or now who has a better pedigree than PL (ie has taken a team up from league 1 and managed in the Prem and the Championship). His results to date are agreed, less than impressive but I don't think anyone could have got us out of the mire without throwing huge sums of money at it - and even then, at that stage of the season, players of quality are unlikely to have been available anyway. Sorry to labour the point but I guess I just get frustrated when it is said that this manager is wrong or that manager is wrong - we have to be realistic about where we are today - we are no longer a big draw in english football - although, as PL has stated on many occasions, we could be if we get things moving in the right direction. If you can name someone who is realistically available to do that job, I would love to hear their name as I consider myself to be fairly well versed in most things football but if I have missed a candidate, I will hold my hands up!
Blue wilf: re your managers choice before and after PH left, these managers i list are only due to there knowledge of player contacts, who could possibly have kept us out of trouble, Joe Royale, Harry Redknapp, Sam Alladyce,Ian Holloway, George Burley, Alan Pardew, all these have good player contacts, and could have brought in quality players, not the pile of sh*t that PH signed, who i will state was never my choice to be installed after Mick left, I blame the owner going cheap skate, and has now got what he deserves, you pay peanuts and get monkeys, and Div1 footie next season, absolute disgrace, PL has to have a vast clear out of the current squad and PH signings, and a rebuild a very strong squad from our younger players, but I also have a doubt about all our quality young squad, I have a nasty feeling the cream of our youngsters will be sold off end of season, with the excuse will be to balance the books, and if that happens, its another relegation battle next season, I'm sorry to be so negative, but after 12 years you get to know your owners trates, and selling our best youth is a near certainty, I will now select the players we have to let go in a previous blog.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:57 pm

Ash, in my opinion all those managers you mention are now over the hill or a crock of sh*te, nothing better than Paul Lambert there although with hindsight some would have performed better than Hurst for sure.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:21 pm

I’d have performed better than Hurst !!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:23 pm

Lmao he wasn't that bad !!😂😂😂

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:27 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:47 pm
Wilf
Wow that is a difficult one to answer. :wink:
At the time I think there were several names being bandied about, including Warburton, Grayson and Sherwood. Tbh none of those made me think go and get them. One manager who became available at the beginning of October who I would have liked us to consider was Steve Bruce. I know he wanted a break from the game and whether he would even have considered coming to us is debatable to say the least.
We don’t even know if Lambert was Evans first choice or when he was approached although it was obvious he had been lined up to replace Hurst a while before he got the sack as PL was appointed so quickly afterwards. My concern with Lambert besides his record at Stoke is I just feel he is one of those managers who found a club which was a perfect fit but when moving on elsewhere struggled to repeat that success. Similar to Eddie Howe at Bournemouth, when he left there to go to Burnley he wasn’t the same but as soon as he went back to Bournemouth he fitted straight back in.
Don’t get me wrong I’m certainly not saying we should get rid of Lambert now as I said when he was appointed we need some stability at the club and that means the manager being here for the start of next season. Going slightly off topic I have heard some fans say we should throw a lot of youngsters in the team now as relegation has been virtually been confirmed. For me I’m not sure if that would be the correct thing to do at this time as I feel the important thing now is that we try and get a few results between now and the end of season to build a bit of momentum for next season. To do this we need to field our strongest side.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:39 pm

Are we allowed to terminate loan agreements early? I agree with those who are saying we need to bring in our youngsters for the rest of the season. What senior players do we have who will still be under contract next season? Maybe a combination of a few senior players and few more youngsters would be the way to go for the rest of the season.

Personally, I'd send all the loan players home if we can without penalty. Preseason needs to start now!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:21 pm
I’d have performed better than Hurst !!
Hallam performing?
I’m not sure that sort of thing should be discussed on a family forum!!! :lol: :lol:

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:55 pm

Wow guys - we are in a mess aren't we! Ash - we will never know but there is no evidence to suggest any of those you list would have done any better than PL. i also said we need to be realistic. Why would Allardyce, Pardew or any of the others have come to us when we were 7 points adrift at the bottom of the championship when there were plenty of Prem strugglers looking for a saviour for much more cash??!! Shed - I find your more realistic but again, why would they have done better than PL and they are certainly no more exciting for me?

Look - we can all agree to disagree and we are where we are so lets just get behind PL and see what happens...

Agree re not throwing the kids in alone yet, Shed. Introduce a few slowly so as not to demoralise them and lets just get to the end of the season and move on! COYB's!

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:20 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:27 pm
.... For me I’m not sure if that would be the correct thing to do at this time as I feel the important thing now is that we try and get a few results between now and the end of season to build a bit of momentum for next season. To do this we need to field our strongest side.
Hate to say it, but, I don't think it matters what we do, results will not be forthcoming the rest of this season.

If by results you mean wins. I'm thinking 2 more at most from our remaining fixtures :astroll:

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:23 pm

In fact, I think I'm being generous. Our win rate stands at just shy of 9%. 11 games left, 1 win only to come I feel :cry: :cry: :cry:

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:36 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:13 am
I’ve got NO reservations about Paul Lambert.

This season is 100% Hurst’s legacy, and Paul Lambert coming in at November had been able to do little with the crap squad he’s inhereited. He had to “wait” until the Jam window before he could try and secure any Chzmpionship experience , and as we should all know , Clubs rarely do meaningful business in the January window, let alone attempt a wholesale rebuild of a woefully inadequate squad for this level .

Just wtf was Lambert supposed to do in FOUR weeks???

Lamberts real work starts now . ( see thread
“ Right - who would you keep” and offer suggestions please . Thanks guys x
It's not Hurst's fault, Liz (though I agree he is not a very good manager).
It's not Lambert's fault (though I still do not think he's the right manager to get us back up)
It's not McCarthy's fault.
It's not Jewell's fault.
It's not really even Keane's fault (well, not much anyway).

We are where we are because of 10 years of penny pinching and under-investment.
10 seasons ago we at least had a few quality players.
Since then, quality players have been sold or released and replaced with players of less and less quality, and that has culminated in this season having a squad with no quality at all.
So if you're going to blame anyone, blame the owner.
His penny pinching has resulted in a squad that can't win, can't score, can't defend, and has no confidence whatsoever.
I have to say that I am not looking forward to next season at all - there are currently at least 10 teams in League 1 who would beat us more times than we could beat them, and it would not surprise me at all to see another relegation season

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:47 am

On the whole, yes. Mevans.

But Roy Keane suggests to the media that it’s not difficult to gain promotion from the English Championship. Asked if there is a plan, EPL in the near future...... responds stating he’ll do it in one season.
Proceeds to pi$$ the majority of the squad off, adds a fear factor to the dressing room. Fails to recognise talent. Uses Mevans “decent” budget, (the best budget to date) to buy utter Shyte players, players who weren’t really tearing it up at other clubs anyway.

For me, Roy Keane is as big a piece in the puzzle as Marcus Evans. The guy single handedly fkd the club in 20 months.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:17 pm

Agree 100% Marko

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:31 pm

Yep, totally agree. Keane was/is a lunatic

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:38 pm

I expect Keane will receive a very warm welcome from our fans when he returns to PR on the 16th March. :wink:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:30 pm

Keane was the epitome of non-achievement (here), but admit as a player possessed outstanding leadership skills. Can see why he was appointed in retrospect but as with so many others were destined to end in failure.

For the final time the owner is the sum total of the clubs issues. Every name he has appointed or been involved with has failed to meet expectation. No investment where or when it's needed, largely oblivious / apathetic to whatever deficiencies the team has endured. Get rid of the "individual", (then) the club can steady itself and hope to move forward. Not until.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:08 pm

I think McCarthy met expectation whether people like it or not.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:31 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:11 pm
This must surely go down as the worst Town season in my lifetime, sadly I blame our owner Marcus Evans which may sound harsh but his lack of investment and poor decisions have guided us to where we are. Unfortunately under his ownership I don’t see anyway back anytime soon.
The owner made a mistake in appointing Hurst but didn't look like a bad appointment at the time as his record at Grimsby and Shrewsbury was decent and looked a good young coach on the way up.

The people to blame are those who hounded out MM, one of the best Championship manager's around. So they have in effect got what they deserve. Now maybe those folks will realize what a fantastic job Mick McCarthy did at Ipswich. The problem is that not one single one of them is prepared to admit it !

To be fair to Marcus Evans he wasn't one of them and would never have let McCarthy go as he was bright enough to realize the job the man had done.

What a disgrace that a fantastic club like Ipswich and what they have been over the years are now where they are.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:40 pm

Every couple months Valley, you seem to remind the Ipswich fans about McCarthy etc. Why?
It’s done, it’s gone. Even if it were to be known for a fact that the Portman Road Home support is primarily to blame for the plight of the club right now, ...... again, it’s done. Gone.

Think the majority on here are now concerned about the present and the future, buddy.