Ipswich Town vs Reading FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3 points or bust?

Town Win
87%
Reading Win
13%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 15

Magicmark

Re: Ipswich Town vs Reading FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Magicmark » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:33 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:47 pm
I have no problem if people have a view that PL may not be the right person long term - time will tell - but my main question back to Massey - and you Shed, is - who else did you think we could get at that point that you think may have had a better chance or do more? I remember at the time we were all struggling to find names and now it would be even harder! I think we should count our lucky stars ro have PL in our current predicament. I am not saying he will be the next statue but I can't think of anyone more deserving of our support right now...
Spot on & I think we could have Alex Ferguson managing us now & still finish bottom of this league, what a depressing year this has been,not sure who to blame, losing some key players at the beginning of the season was a massive disadvantage& they wernt replaced.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:51 am

I think it’s been a combination of many things tbh and a culmination of a gradual decline over Evans tenure. Underinvestment, poor managerial choices ( Keane and Hurst being the two monumental eff ups).

Strangely enough now I’m over the shock of relegation ( the depression will go doubt de t in at end of season again when reality hits home), in strange way I feel almost “ cleansed” now, because this HAD to happen to the Club, I’m irder for ya to properly rebuild . Although the U23’s are not fully equipped yet to take iverbtotslly as the senior squad, Klug has done x brilliant job with them and we are certainly not without a great deal of hope going into the next season .

In Paul Lambert , I think we DO have a manager who can build around these kids. People say PL hasn’t done anything for a few years, but in truth he’s not a fire fighter like McCarthy, ie coming in and changing someone else’s squad from a relegation threatened position. But what I think he is, is a manager that is capable of building his own team. He hasn’t actually had snore season with a Club since his scum days- andcwe sll know what happened there! In many ways it’s going to be an exciting time ahead, and the football from these kids is going to be a joy to behold !

COYYB’s ( come on you young blues)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:22 pm

Nice to hear that you are cleansed, Hallam.

Is this you visualising League One football?

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:08 pm
I think McCarthy met expectation whether people like it or not.
Your spot on BM, when Mick had us in the playoff section, ME should have invested in 3 or four quality Players, for the big push, i bet Mick asked for funds to strengthen, but was told none available, so Mick's covers his arse saying to the fans he's happy with the current squad, but i'll bet he was bloody fuming with ME, as we were in striking distance of the Premiership goal, and I think with the reinforcements we just might have made it, and the chance to clear our debt of £80 Million, they say these opportunities come but once and we must take them, but we have certainly missed the boat with that decision not to invest, and its been sort of down hill from there on in, in my final hope, i truly hope for my club, we can find another owner who will run the club with passion and true investment, but i wont hold my breath on that one.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:24 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:22 pm
Nice to hear that you are cleansed, Hallam.

Is this you visualising League One football?

Ha ha , not quite marko..., my head towel is blue ( as you’d expect ) !!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:50 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:33 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:08 pm
I think McCarthy met expectation whether people like it or not.
i bet Mick asked for funds to strengthen, but was told none available,
Ashford, I guess we will have to wait for his autobiography to find out about that one. I'm not so sure. I remember that there was a bit of the crazy gang about us at that time and I wouldn't be surprised if Mick decided that he didn't want to disturb the team spirit by adding a couple of quality players after the team had done all the good work in getting to that point. MIck was constantly emphasising that our team had cost, what 20,000? and using this to motivate the team I'm sure. Anyway we could both be right, who knows?

Hyper0blue

Post by Hyper0blue » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:52 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:23 am
League One it is then, and hats off to that tossa Hurst: he took a mid table Championship squad and transformed it into a League One squad in under a month over the summer .

Thanks for that you utter tw*t!
And Evans

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:44 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:40 pm
Every couple months Valley, you seem to remind the Ipswich fans about McCarthy etc. Why?
It’s done, it’s gone. Even if it were to be known for a fact that the Portman Road Home support is primarily to blame for the plight of the club right now, ...... again, it’s done. Gone.

Think the majority on here are now concerned about the present and the future, buddy.
Correct I do because the blame gets put at the wrong door constantly and the real people to blame never stand up and admit it.
I'm so sick of fools getting their way at football clubs and hounding good solid managers out. Allardyce at Newcastle and Blackburn is the classic and both relegated that season. Imagine Allardyce being given the Ipswich job and the meltdown that the fools would have on this forum.
Your correct though in that the majority on here are now concerned about the future and they better be because its anything but a sure that Town will bounce out of League One any time soon.