Hey marko - PL wants to “ cleanse the Club”

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Hey marko - PL wants to “ cleanse the Club”

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Lol, seems I’m not the only one thinking along the “ cleanse “ line !!

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/paul-lambe ... -1-5925289

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Hey marko - PL wants to “ cleanse the Club”

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:18 pm

"Nobody can point the finger at the owner "

And yet most Town fans do so they disagree with Lambert on that one !!.

I think Lambert is brilliant for this club I really do, give him what he thinks we need and we will without question come back stronger as a club.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:26 pm

I definitely think Lambert is the best manager for ITFC at the moment...and I also think he's the best manager out of the Evan's Bunch!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:51 pm

Oh dear. Have you brainwashed the boss, Hallam?!

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:50 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:26 pm
I definitely think Lambert is the best manager for ITFC at the moment...and I also think he's the best manager out of the Evan's Bunch!
Wrong IMO. That was MM. Achieved way more than Lambert. Lambert has a massive job on his hands next season. Making all the right noises and playing all the right cards with fans but its all bull if the results on the park don't start to improve. Honeymoon period just now, the real job starts next season for him.
Lots of well funded clubs in League One also. Not going to be easy task at all to get out of League One

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:55 am

Taken out of context as McCarthy was in the job for five years plus. Lambert only been in position since October. You can't compare the two such is the latter's inexperience with the team.

And what the f*ck did McCarthy achieve anyhow ? What, one play-off appearance in the whole time here amid otherwise banal tentative play and by the time of departure, had become something of an unsavory figure, ridiculed to considerable extent. He had to go, there was no alternative.

Lambert has a lot to prove next season. Obviously familiar with lower league from former employers but many won't accept it good enough if the club doesn't see a promotion first year back. Hurst made a mess for sure, but since coming in last fall Lambert has had ample time to get the team away from the end position of the league, as manager he's responsible for results on the field and it hasn't really been forthcoming. That's not to say it won't eventually work out but patience has a tendency to erode quickly with some of the fanbase.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:33 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:51 pm
Oh dear. Have you brainwashed the boss, Hallam?!

Oh I have my powers marko...you ought to be thankful you live as faraway as you do !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:59 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:50 pm
number 9 wrote:
Wrong IMO. That was MM. Achieved way more than Lambert. Lambert has a massive job on his hands next season. Making all the right noises and playing all the right cards with fans but its all bull if the results on the park don't start to improve. Honeymoon period just now, the real job starts next season for him.
Lots of well funded clubs in League One also. Not going to be easy task at all to get out of League One

I have to disagree with you I’m afraid. I’ll give credit to McCarthy for keeping us up 8n his first Eason, when we seemed dead and buried. Also for the next season where he did well. Bu5 fr9m thereon in I’m afraid it was downhill for me and a grea5 many fans, who could see through him.

McCarthy had nearly 6 years at this Club and for the vast majority of those years he opted to take £1m pa salary, and take the easy option of bulking out the squad with by and large, loanees, journeymen, and “ proper blokes”. He never should intention to work with the academy and bring players through. (Hurst was even worse).

He successfully made us difficult to beat by commonly deploying 9 outfield players whose remit was to “ get behind the ball”, play tippy tappy posesion in our own half, usually finishing with the obligatory hoof up the pitch. He rarely set up to attack opponents at home, and certainly never away from Portman Road. It was mind numbingly boring to watch, and literally sucked the life out of the supporters. It was certainly no longer an entertaining experience going down to PR, where games became instantly forgettable. Fans weren’t drifting away, they were running away, in their droves. Fans voiced concerns at the style of football. McCarthy took exception to this......the rest is well documented.

The Club have never been more removed/ detached from its fan base than under McCarthy. His near six year tenure merely papered over the cracks. Players contracts were allowed to wind down, and simply walk away from the Club. McCarthy instead of securing our own players opted to use the budge5 for expensive wages to fund loanees, who , at the end of each seas9n, would stream back to their own Clubs. The process of so called rebuild to begin all over again. Even pre season training was stuck in a rut. Going to Ireland every year... giving a local Irish player a chance to join Town , never to be seen again and often returning back home. All part of the old pals act for his Irish buddies ( where is he working right now , on a short term contract?).

The man is for an easy life in the game. Never tackling the real problems, adopting a hard to beat (but not to win), mentality whilst He takes the money, and remains detached. In his six years at ITFC, he hasn’t developed or progressed or joined up things at our Club.

Lambert appears a totally different cookie. I’m looking forward t9 see8ng what he does with. Full pre season behind him ( he hasn’t had that at a club since he left scum, I believe). He’s not. Fire fighter like McCarthy, he’s a builder and a nurturer. I think he will reunite this Club from top to bottom. Someth8ng waaaay beyond McCarthys capabilities.

I’m thankful for McCarthys efforts when he first came here, but in truth his style ground me down to the point that had he remained another season, that would have been me done. A bit sad when you consider Ive been going to PR for 50 years.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:41 pm

Thanks Hallam. My thoughts exactly. I respect others opinions, but I find it difficult to laud MM’s tenure as a whole. I already like PL’s positive attitude and approach to winning back the fans.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:21 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:59 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:50 pm
number 9 wrote:

I have to disagree with you I’m afraid. I’ll give credit to McCarthy for keeping us up 8n his first Eason, when we seemed dead and buried. Also for the next season where he did well. Bu5 fr9m thereon in I’m afraid it was downhill for me and a grea5 many fans, who could see through him.

McCarthy had nearly 6 years at this Club and for the vast majority of those years he opted to take £1m pa salary, and take the easy option of bulking out the squad with by and large, loanees, journeymen, and “ proper blokes”. He never should intention to work with the academy and bring players through. (Hurst was even worse).

He successfully made us difficult to beat by commonly deploying 9 outfield players whose remit was to “ get behind the ball”, play tippy tappy posesion in our own half, usually finishing with the obligatory hoof up the pitch. He rarely set up to attack opponents at home, and certainly never away from Portman Road. It was mind numbingly boring to watch, and literally sucked the life out of the supporters. It was certainly no longer an entertaining experience going down to PR, where games became instantly forgettable. Fans weren’t drifting away, they were running away, in their droves. Fans voiced concerns at the style of football. McCarthy took exception to this......the rest is well documented.

The Club have never been more removed/ detached from its fan base than under McCarthy. His near six year tenure merely papered over the cracks. Players contracts were allowed to wind down, and simply walk away from the Club. McCarthy instead of securing our own players opted to use the budge5 for expensive wages to fund loanees, who , at the end of each seas9n, would stream back to their own Clubs. The process of so called rebuild to begin all over again. Even pre season training was stuck in a rut. Going to Ireland every year... giving a local Irish player a chance to join Town , never to be seen again and often returning back home. All part of the old pals act for his Irish buddies ( where is he working right now , on a short term contract?).

The man is for an easy life in the game. Never tackling the real problems, adopting a hard to beat (but not to win), mentality whilst He takes the money, and remains detached. In his six years at ITFC, he hasn’t developed or progressed or joined up things at our Club.

Lambert appears a totally different cookie. I’m looking forward t9 see8ng what he does with. Full pre season behind him ( he hasn’t had that at a club since he left scum, I believe). He’s not. Fire fighter like McCarthy, he’s a builder and a nurturer. I think he will reunite this Club from top to bottom. Someth8ng waaaay beyond McCarthys capabilities.

I’m thankful for McCarthys efforts when he first came here, but in truth his style ground me down to the point that had he remained another season, that would have been me done. A bit sad when you consider Ive been going to PR for 50 years.
I'm sorry, but this is full of interpretive bias. You have no idea what was in McCarthy's head. You don't know that he is for an easy life in the game. You don't know what strictures he operated under during his tenure or whether he railed against them. You may be right about some of all of your opinions but, equally, you may be completely wrong. You have simply applied motivations and actions (or inactions) to suit your preconceived ideas.

I don't know the truth, and neither do you. All I do know is that it was time for McCarthy to go because he had lost the fans ( though clearly still had the wholehearted support of the players).

I wish PL well but, apart from excellent reparation of relations with the fans, he has done nothing to inspire confidence in me that we are coming straight back up next season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:41 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:41 pm
Thanks Hallam. My thoughts exactly. I respect others opinions, but I find it difficult to laud MM’s tenure as a whole. I already like PL’s positive attitude and approach to winning back the fans.
Lambert is the perfect “ fit” for Town I think. Genuine desire to make things harm and to unite the Club, fans, and community . A breath of fresh air isn’t it ! The fans “ believe “ again and hasn’t the atmosphere at the Club changed for the better . Proud of the Club again.