West Bromwich Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will We Compete?

Baggies Win
65%
Town Win
12%
Draw
24%

Total votes: 17

Andym

Re: West Bromwich Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:09 pm

Yesss!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:09 pm

What a brilliant equaliser from a Nolan header, great cross from Bree.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:21 pm

Great support from the Town fans, just seen Mach & Bluemike on the telly, well done boys.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:23 pm

If we get something out of this game it certainly won’t be undeserved.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:27 pm

Another great reflex save from Bart !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:38 pm

I can’t believe what I’m watching here. Where has this sort of performance been all season.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:41 pm

PL admits we are as good as down early in the week.

Pressure off - we play better. Knew it would happen :wink:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:56 pm

Great result shame it doesn't matter.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:04 pm

Yep. Predicted being soundly beaten. Good work.

But, other results = 12 points adrift. For the majority of you it was relegation weeks ago...... but for me, now it’s relegation. If I lived closer, tonight I’d be logging possible League One away grounds postcodes into the satnav.
Feckin Mevans, Keane, Jewell, Hurst ,.... cnts.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:05 pm

TODD66 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:41 pm

Yes, we expected a good performance now that the pressure is off and we got it. What a pity that Reading won again today.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:11 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:05 pm
TODD66 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:41 pm

Yes, we expected a good performance now that the pressure is off and we got it. What a pity that Reading won again today.
Wow - doesn't really matter as a result and hasn't for a while but kudos to them then, last I saw they were losing with a couple of minutes to go!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:19 pm

Going down in style. I can’t remember watching a better town performance for a long while. I’ll wait for Mime to confirm it but this must be our best performance of the season.

22 Shots, 7 on target and 7 corners. When is the last time we had stats like this ? Esp against a Top 4 side.

Any neutral fan would struggle to have known which team was near the top of the table and which was rock bottom.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:27 pm

Just back to car, what a performance, proud of the boys, deserved to win and bossed the second half. Nolan was majestic, Bishop superb and Massive impact from Jackson when he came on. What a fantastic atmosphere by the fans, when its like that there aren't any better

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Good result, enjoyable game to watch,end to end stuff,shame we didn't nick the win.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:18 pm

:shock: Ruthless

Tony Mowbray will be next for the sack. Shocking result for them today.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:43 pm

Soooo very unlucky today guys, and the lads really did turn up in that second half. Ok, I’ve only saw 3:43 of highlights but it looked a very spirited and uplifting performance throughout the team. Bart looked good, three or four decisive saves and the midfield were clicking with the forwards. Brilliant build up and finish for the goal...... great leap & power for the goal Mr Nolan! Great stuff. Can’t blame greediness by others late on by a couple of players..... they tried their luck and rightly so.

Never looked forward to a match report as much as this one ...... so......, in your own time, Michael! :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:33 pm

I can’t recall the last time I watched Town play as well as we did today. I’m sure Bluemike will know when it was and I will be surprised if it was anytime this season.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:27 pm
Just back to car, what a performance, proud of the boys, deserved to win and bossed the second half. Nolan was majestic, Bishop superb and Massive impact from Jackson when he came on. What a fantastic atmosphere by the fans, when its like that there aren't any better

Tell me your joking Mike, you actually took your car, so how are you getting home then,Little tip that might help sometime they will except colourful beads and meth's for the return of your wheels.

If not safety in Wolvo is only 5 miles away. may the force be with you Tonto, :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:46 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:37 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Tell me your joking Mike, you actually took your car, so how are you getting home then,Little tip that might help sometime they will except colourful beads and meth's for the return of your wheels.

If not safety in Wolvo is only 5 miles away. may the force be with you Tonto, :lol:
:lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:58 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:46 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:37 pm
Bluemike wrote:

:) It gets even better,Darren-Moore gets the chop so the thrushs merry go round starts again.and they laughed at us for years,
https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/index.php ... 279/page-2

WBA trip back to the premier is on track.
Last edited by goldandblack on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:02 pm

Coming away from today's game having witnessed that performance has me wondering just how the hell we are in the position we are and just how is it possible we are going down, after our obligatory poor start we grew and grew into the game and for much of the second half bossed the game and looked for all the world like the team in the top Six, at times we oozed confidence and played some good stuff, I think coming home with a solitary point was harsh on us.

Incredibly we again found ourselves one down within the first Five minutes from what was really the first piece of attacking action at either end, Kenlock & Knudsen making a hash of a high ball with the latter conceding a free kick in a dangerous position, once again lady luck decided to go against us as the kick hits Knudsen to the Left side of the wall, it has to be said it was a really poor wall and the ball which could have gone anywhere nestles in the opposite corner of the goal from where Bart had gone, an all too familiar start to a game for Town. Town immediately began going forward and a couple of half chances went begging but the signs were encouraging after the poor start. It was Town mostly on the front foot with Judge the next to have a crack after Chambers had skied one. Soon after Bart was called upon to make the first of Three or Four good saves as he got a firm hand to Gayle's shot to palm it around the post, Bishop & Nolan were having really good games in the centre of Midfield and a good surging run from Bishop almost created an opening for Town but as with many games this season the cutting edge in front of goal was lacking with Quaner not having the impact required, most of our good play always seemed to break down when it got to the on loan German.

The very impressive Nolan played a lovely ball over the WBA defence which had Quaner free in space but his first touch took him wide and although he did still get a decent effort on goal which the keeper saved with his leg he really should have done better and the chance was lost. Although Town had improved since going behind we still had Bart to thank with another couple of saves as half time approached, the first was a replay of his earlier save as he got down low to tip one around the post but the second moments later was class as he somehow kept out an effort from close range, there was still time for Town to go up the other end and fashion a chance which fell to Skuse who's shot was charged down, some Town players seemed to be appealing for a penalty as the ref blew the whistle for half time. Town had regrouped well and had matched the home team, Bishop & Nolan in particular had impressed while everyone else were pretty solid, Bart was having his best game for months and looked like the Bart of old, we just lacked a presence up front to cause them even more problems.

Thankfully the second half began with Jackson on for Quaner who it has to be said was probably our weak link, and the change seemed to have the desired effect for Town in what was to be a cracking second half performance. Within a minute or Two of the restart we got ourselves level, a cracking ball in from Bree on the Town right fell right on to the head of Jon Nolan and his header was placed perfectly beyond the outstretched arm of the keeper to send the Town fans behind the goal into raptures.

Jackson was causing the West Brom defence all sorts of problems with his movement and willingness to run the channels and it was creating openings at will, one ball over the top saw their keeper rush out and get to it a fraction before the hungry Jackson who was looking by the far the best we have seen of him in a Town shirt. Nolan & Judge both had chances with Judge's just sailing over the bar from distance but at times we were looking open at the back as we took the game to them and it almost cost us as they broke but Chambers got back to do some superb defending. West Brom were to come even closer moments later as Bart pulled off a stunning instinctive save to keep out Gayle's close range effort when it looked nailed on he would score.

The impressive Bishop was replaced by Simon Dawkins as some of Town's players started to look out on their feet despite there still being Twenty minutes to go but they stuck at it and kept the pressure on a home side who now looked like they didn't fancy it at all. Town's Jackson then had Two good opportunities to give us the lead our play deserved, the first saw his shot from a tight angle well saved by Johnstone before moments later his effort from a similar position sailed wide of the far post but by now it really was wave after wave of Town coming forward. Try as we might Town just could not find the winner, Dawkins having the last real effort of the game which cleared the bar by some distance. Not long after the ref called time on what for me had been a cracking game and very entertaining.

At times it weas hard to know who were top Six and who were bottom, trying not to be biased I believe we deserved to win that game comfortably, yes Bart made some good saves but isn't that what he is there for ? The stats say we had Twenty Two efforts on goal and for us that is unheard of, it felt like it too as every time we came forward in the second half we looked threatening, for me Jon Nolan was inspired and nothing short of sensational today, I apologise to him as in the past i've thought he looked woeful and not up to it, he could be massive for us next season, Bishop too ran at there defence several times and looked a real handful, those Two in League one will be class. I was so pleased for Kayden Jackson today as he took his chance and showed us all that just maybe there is a player in there waiting to burst out after all, I hope he keeps his place Tuesday at Bristol City, it would be hard to pick fault with any Town player today as they gave their all, that is all we ask.

Bart....(8) Some cracking saves kept us in it when we needed him, apart from some dodgy kicking it was the Bart of two years ago.

Bree....(7) Cracking cross for the goal and by and large very solid, defended well

Chambers..(7) One top class piece of defending when Two on One saved a possible goal and led the team well as always.

Knudsen...(7) Caught out by Kenlock's weak header and can count himself unlucky with the deflected goal, defended well after that.

Kenlock...(6) Got better as the game wore on and got forward well at times, one lovely ball almost had Jackson in for a goal.

Skuse...(6) started slowly and looked to be struggling but like many of the others got better as the game progressed

Bishop...(8) Some surging runs had Town on the front foot and caused their defence problems throughout the first half, visibly tired.

Nolan...(8) Superb performance throughout, won tackles, broke up play, made some good runs, got into the box numerous times and didn't waste a pass all afternoon, capped it off with the goal. MOTM.

Edwards...(6) Didn't get on the ball as much as he would have liked but worked hard, tracked back well to defend when others were tiring.

Judge...(7) Such an industrious player who seemed to have a bit of a roaming role, was all over the place and supplied some decent delivery, ran out of steam towards the end.

Quaner...(6) things often broke down when the ball reached the German but he kept going, often looks laboured and disinterested which may just be his style, should have done better with the early chance.

SUBS :-

Jackson...(7) His best Town performance by a distance, ran his socks off, won balls and put himself about, had Two good chances to score and maybe should have hit the net but much improved and looked an asset.

Dawkins...(6) He gets stuck in but also looks a tad unfit and untidy on the ball, in fairness not match fit.

For me this performance showed me that just maybe we are in for a treat next season, we are far from a bottom of the table side on that showing, no we didn't win but it sure as hell felt like we had coming home and that has not been the case all season. If we can keep the nucleus of this side together we really need not fear League one, we need to do it consistently though, that is the secret. I was proud of the boy's and I think every One of the 1300 Town fans in attendance felt the same way, the home fans certainly felt that we should have won the game. Bring On Bristol, suddenly I am confident !!!! COYB'S.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:25 pm

On paper it's a good score but all too little too late. Seems the team improved and there were certain positives to take however. Other scores in the relegation zone were mixed, could ideally have had the Millwall / Bolton game as points shared.

We got key players out and still gave a team with high promotion hopes a scare. Shame the effort today wasn't duplicated throughout the season consistently enough but we're where we're at simply because occasions such as today have been too few and far between. Probably a good trip for those that traveled, provided some enthusiasm for the time ahead if nothing else.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:36 pm

Bolton beating Millwall was actually a good result if people still believe we have a chance, personally I don't but with Millwall being 4th bottom it was a good thing them losing.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:04 am

Great to read your report Mike which endorsed everything I watched on television and not biased at all. So pleased our fans had a great day out for a change. Bring on Bristol City on Tuesday Night, wow, I didn’t think I’d be saying that and certainly wouldn’t have before today’s performance.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:08 am

Thanks for the report. It was Jackson I was referring to with the possible greediness in the box nearer the end of the game, but understandable, forgivable and he looked good. Who made the great pass through to Bree prior to the cross for the goal? That was great vision.

Praying this new intensity can be matched at Ashton Gate on Tuesday night. Please don’t be a “back to the same old Ipswich” match report. Looks like they’re all playing for the boss 100% and that’s a great thing in the clubs current predicament.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:14 am

Cheers Andy, glad you saw it the same way, thoroughly enjoyed today

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:19 am

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:58 pm
......they will except colourful beads and meth's for the return of your wheels.
:lol: Why do I keep thinking you’ve tried to park your car in Maryhill, Glasgow, Wolfie?

Think I’ve told this story before...... long story short. Was at a Hibs v Partick cup game...... was about 25 years old and these 14/15 year olds all marched up to us,
“Watch yer car fur a fiver mister?”
“Pi$$ off”

Old guy in our ear...... “I’d give them the fiver. Your motor will be on bricks before kick off!”

Rushed back, “hey wee man, how much? A fiver you say?!”

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:19 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:14 am
Cheers Andy, glad you saw it the same way, thoroughly enjoyed today

You and Mach were on the telly crystal clear and for quite a few seconds, you certainly looked happy as did all of those around you. Great to see it and the commentary was very complimentary of our fans.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:23 am

Yeah I replied to your txt but not sure if you got it as signal up and down.

Marko, it was Edwards who played the ball through you mention.