NOW FOR PROMOTION

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

derick_ipsw

Re: Relegation

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:13 am

AngusThermopyle wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:00 pm
Given how we have performed this season I am not at all sure we will do well against Solihull.

Ipswich have been dying since Markus Evans took over. He uses ITFC as an ego trip, but doesn't put the money in. He put money in when Roy BOLLOCKS Keane was managing and uses that as a reason not to spend money now. He is a disaster for Ipswich.

AT :oops:
Firstly, welcome to the site Angus.

Secondly, Did you watch last nights game? We would of certainly beat Solihull. :roll:

Thirdly, Whatever Marcus Evans short Cummings are anybody who puts 110 million pound of his own money into a club just to keep it afloat has to be thanked not constantly ridiculed. If you love Ipswich Town and I assume you do or you would not be posting on here, just think what would of happened to ITFC without that money!!

Fourthly, Thermopyle, very interesting, where does that derive from?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:52 am

Short Cummings? Is that Mevans’ 5’2” sidekick, Derick? :D

Welcome ‘Gus. Quite a few on here talk a themoPYLE of Shyte......., which is all good because I think I may have started it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:41 am

Yes welcome to the site, and it's Marcus, not Markus.

AngusThermopyle

Post by AngusThermopyle » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:55 pm

I blame Evans for everything that has happened to the club.

His dephic comments and as you say the gray cloud that he is. No matter how good a manager is, if the owner it a total wanker then nothing will change.

I think he has destroyed Ipswich, from Keane onwards. I don't blame Mccarthy or Magilton. The managers were hobbled. He spouts off about spending money with Keane as an excuse for spending zero on the club.

The guy manages a company that does all the VIP functions for rugby, football, cricket and much more. He earns close to billions per year and it all goes to offshore accounts.

The guy is a plague for ITFC. He has to go!

AT

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:07 pm

Listen to his recent interview again, in that he openly explains why he CANNOT invest the ridiculous Millions some would like him to, and you know what, nor would I want him to.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:30 pm

The damage has already been done. Lets face it we will be a Division 1 team next year. You only have to look at Sunderland to see how difficult it can be to get out of that division...... probably just as hard as the Championship.... certainly more robust. Time will tell if the team has what it takes but I won't hold my breath. If they do make it is that another star they can put on the badge? :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:41 pm

Watership Down wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:30 pm
The damage has already been done. Lets face it we will be a Division 1 team next year. You only have to look at Sunderland to see how difficult it can be to get out of that division...... probably just as hard as the Championship.... certainly more robust. Time will tell if the team has what it takes but I won't hold my breath. If they do make it is that another star they can put on the badge? :D
Bloody right it is !!!! Town 4 Scum 0

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:07 pm
Listen to his recent interview again, in that he openly explains why he CANNOT invest the ridiculous Millions some would like him to, and you know what, nor would I want him to.
Me neither mike, however, we must tie down the youngsters on long contracts and build a team around them. No good selling them every now and then for a few million. If the club is to move forward without investment then we must bring through the youth and keep the team together. If that does not happen then no way will town ever get back into the championship and will remain a league 1 or 2 team .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:17 pm

Couldn't agree more, the pleasing thing for me is that Bishop, Lankester, Woolfenden, Ndaba, Kenlock and Downes have all signed new contracts already, I suspect there are others too like El Mizouni and Dobra who I believe signed not long ago.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:23 am

I’m all for building a team which includes a good number of our younger players but I don’t believe we should rely on building a team around them. What I think we should do is is build a team around a spine of seasoned and experienced pros, say minimum of four/five, and suround them with six/seven under 23’s. Whilst the exact number isn’t important, the point i’m trying to make is that I don’t think we can rely solely on youth, and even more important if these young players are going to fully develop they will need to learn from more experienced players.

If you agree with me, which four or five current players would you build the team round ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:35 am

I agree totally, for me Chambers & Skuse should stay but not to play 46 games again !! Also Judge, Keane & Nolan with maybe Two or Three senior additions to the squad, would like to say Huws but little chance of that happening. Please no Bart, Knudsen, Sears or Ward !!!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:33 am

AngusThermopyle wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:55 pm
I blame Evans for everything that has happened to the club.

His dephic comments and as you say the gray cloud that he is. No matter how good a manager is, if the owner it a total wanker then nothing will change.

I think he has destroyed Ipswich, from Keane onwards. I don't blame Mccarthy or Magilton. The managers were hobbled. He spouts off about spending money with Keane as an excuse for spending zero on the club.

The guy manages a company that does all the VIP functions for rugby, football, cricket and much more. He earns close to billions per year and it all goes to offshore accounts.

The guy is a plague for ITFC. He has to go!

AT
The above is incorrect. He is worth a estimated 800 million and added 35 million to his fortune last year. So that's 200 million short of being a Billionaire. If he earned a Billion a year as you say, I think we would be in the Prem now!! :roll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:27 am

Speaking of the “plague”..... remember someone on this forum, can’t remember who, (whispers, yes I can!) wanted a plaque put up for a certain player but they wrote..., “the player deserves a plague.”

Ok, it was autocorrect, but it was feckin funny.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:35 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:23 am
I’m all for building a team which includes a good number of our younger players but I don’t believe we should rely on building a team around them. What I think we should do is is build a team around a spine of seasoned and experienced pros, say minimum of four/five, and suround them with six/seven under 23’s. Whilst the exact number isn’t important, the point i’m trying to make is that I don’t think we can rely solely on youth, and even more important if these young players are going to fully develop they will need to learn from more experienced players.

If you agree with me, which four or five current players would you build the team round ?
none of them - they have failed and we're going down to the third tier for the first time in more than 60 years.
Why would we want to keep any of the cr@p that has contributed to that?

Keep OUR young players, yes - but get rid of all the older players on contract and all of the loanees and STC's that have failed us this season, and if we need 2 or 3 experienced players then get different ones in.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:55 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:35 pm
Charnwood wrote:

none of them - they have failed and we're going down to the third tier for the first time in more than 60 years.

Keep OUR young players, yes - but get rid of all the older players on contract and all of the loanees and STC's that have failed us this season, and if we need 2 or 3 experienced players then get different ones in.
Chambers & Ward Should go. Sears, Skuse & Knudson should go but wont. Huws if fit keep. Bart or Gerkin undecided.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:40 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:55 pm
rossi wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:35 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Chambers & Ward Should go. Sears, Skuse & Knudson should go but wont. Huws if fit keep. Bart or Gerkin undecided.
Knudsen’s out of contract. He’ll leave. Sears is out injured till Xmas and contracted here... he’ll still be here.

I reckon Bart, Chambers and Skuse are the top earners. If we can get Bart of the wagebill and a few quid... so be it.

Chambers and Skuse... whilst they’re great club pro’s and experienced ... can we afford both of them?
Whilst balancing the wage bill... it might be a case of trying to offload them or one of them. I did read on TWTD forum Skuse and Chambers were on 15 k a week (don’t know how true that is ... maybe Mick let it slip). If it’s true, half that with relegation clauses and it’s still 60k per month for the two of them. They’d have to justify that on the pitch, not just the dressing room. Expect there’s going to be some severe belt-tightening.
I’d like to keep Judge and - who knows - we might have to free up some cash elsewhere to afford him or others.

If we can tie up Huws’ contract in some way... then we need to do it. He’s still got over 2 years on a 4 years contract left. He’ ll break down if fit again.... and we’ve got too many midfielders.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:46 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:40 pm
Chambers and Skuse... whilst they’re great club pro’s and experienced ... can we afford both of them?
I think there is a real fitness issue with Skuse now. After playing virtually every game for many years, the last couple of seasons he's been picking up knocks. I don't think we can afford high earners who are likely to miss significant parts of the season. It's a shame because he has been one of the better players over the last 2 years. Downes can play that role and I'd like to see him back in there where fit, but Skuse is more experienced and provides cover...but it could be at a high cost financially.

Similarly Chambers; we need some experience at the back but he isn't getting any younger and will also become more injury prone.

I would say in both cases it depends on how much of a pay cut they will accept, and how desperate they are to play week in and week out as opportunities might be a bit more limited.

AngusThermopyle

Post by AngusThermopyle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:49 am

Hi,

I was born on Norwich Rd, very close abt 4 houses away from Ashcroft Rd. I went to Springfield Infants School, Junior school and then Westbourne. I went to plenty of matches and saw the bus drive through town when we won the league.

I have extended Family all over Ipswich. My family name is Wallace.

I am an expat living in Ireland. Supporting Ipswich and England can be far more difficult here, but they are my teams. I buy the shirts every year. Watching online when it's available.

You cannot keep blaming the managers. How many 4 now? Without any fault accruing to Markus Evans? Unlikely. ME gets far more out of the club than he puts in. Ipswich have never had such a dismal 10+ years. If you think this has nothing to do with ME, that's your opinion.

I support Ipswich as much now as when I went to college at Suffolk College as it was then.

Cheers Shaun

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:03 pm

Angus,

Crikey not "thee" Shaun Wallace ? Chaser & Dark Destroyer ?

I don't think there are many who don't apportion some blame to ME, and naturally many think it is solely down to him, but I totally disagree with those who think Evans is hell bent on ruining the club and that he doesn't invest much of his own money into the club, he does, maybe not in the same league as the owners of the Man City's of this world but even so it's still a sizeable sum coming out of his pocket. As I said previously I am not sure if you saw Evan's latest interview but he explains in detail why he cannot put in the sums of money some would like. For me there are numerous reasons as to why we are where we are and yes Evans is one of the but I don't see him as the devil incarnate as some choose to do.

AngusThermopyle

Post by AngusThermopyle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:46 pm

Hi BlueM,

Lol, I was in year at Westbourne with Dean Baker, Maxine Fisk, Steve Horn etc etc.

I totally agree that it cannot all be laid at ME feet, but a substantial part is his fault. No one is asking for Man City type funding, but funding to keep our heads above water wld be good.

We are now set to go down to the old 3rd division. ME has to shoulder the blame, he picked the managers and funds the club, or rather owns it.

ME is a Billionaire, his parsimonious treatment of the club has not done us any favours. Ipswich is not a 3rd division club. All through the time ME has owned the club we have struggled to keep just above the halfway line in the league.

Shaun

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:00 pm

I think it is an argument that is never going to go away such is the divide among Town fans. Naturally I don't want to be going down but it is coming, that said lots have teams have come back stronger and it turned out to be a blessing, there has not been too many "Coventry's" thank god. I just wonder if we do do a "Norwich" and come back in a much better place having enjoyed a fab season whether Evans will then get the credit or will he still be seen as the root cause of all our troubles ?

There is no doubt Evans has got a lot of things wrong and yes he could perhaps invest more than he does but I genuinely believe it has been a catalogue of events stretching back to Roy Keane that has put us down this path, I was one of a very small minority who chastised Evans for appointing keane while most rejoiced at his appointment, it was a disaster then and remains so today, it has continued to go down hill since with names like Jewell, Milne, Hurst etc etc etc partly to blame in one way or another, McCarthy too has to take some of the blame although we choose to forget a Sixth & Seventh place finish against all the odds and we will never know why when we hit top spot in December we did not strengthen the squad, McCarthy says it was down to him while most believe Evans was to blame, either way do you think we have the right man in charge now or are you still sceptical ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:05 pm

Unfortunately to be the owner of a Championship football club these days is a costly business and only those who invest see any return. It’s certainly not a place for Millionaires and needs Billionaire status owners to survive. Lucky for them Bristol City owner Stephen Lansdown (Net Worth £2.3Bn) appears to be investing heavily in the club these days, it will be interesting to see if it brings with it any success.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:05 pm
Unfortunately to be the owner of a Championship football club these days is a costly business and only those who invest see any return. It’s certainly not a place for Millionaires and needs Billionaire status owners to survive. Lucky for them Bristol City owner Stephen Lansdown appears to be investing heavily in the club these days, it will be interesting to see if it brings with it any success.
Well results apart, going on the Two times we've played them it's failing miserably.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Andym wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:46 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:40 pm
I think there is a real fitness issue with Skuse now. After playing virtually every game for many years, the last couple of seasons he's been picking up knocks. I don't think we can afford high earners who are likely to miss significant parts of the season. It's a shame because he has been one of the better players over the last 2 years. Downes can play that role and I'd like to see him back in there where fit, but Skuse is more experienced and provides cover...but it could be at a high cost financially.

Similarly Chambers; we need some experience at the back but he isn't getting any younger and will also become more injury prone.

I would say in both cases it depends on how much of a pay cut they will accept, and how desperate they are to play week in and week out as opportunities might be a bit more limited.
Hi Andy. Blimey if you think Skuse has injury concerns, have you looked at Huws’ injury record? He’s 25yrs old and first sustained that knee injury whilst at Wigan, back in 2014. They only kept him a year before getting shot ( they’re clearly no mugs , unlike us). He went to Huddersfield where he managed 30 games before getting injured again. Huddersfield get shot of him and He ended up at Cardiff, (2016-17) where played just 3 games in that year.

In steps good ole Town who take him on loan. He played just 3 months ,playing 13 games I think, prior to signing on the dotted line permanently, on a monster 4 year deal. (Reportedly £13k p/ wk).He then, shock/ amazement has a “knee injury” ( which I suspect was always an issue since 2014).

Since signing for us in 2017 he has played just 5 games and is contracted with us until 2021. Well done McCarthy!

Looking at a website I found ( don’t know how reliable), but it states players like Skuse, Chambo are on £8-9k p week. Bart £13k. The average weekly wage for a lot of the seniors appears to range from £6-£9k . I’ll see if I can find it again and post it up.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:27 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Unfortunately to be the owner of a Championship football club these days is a costly business and only those who invest see any return. It’s certainly not a place for Millionaires and needs Billionaire status owners to survive. Lucky for them Bristol City owner Stephen Lansdown (Net Worth £2.3Bn) appears to be investing heavily in the club these days, it will be interesting to see if it brings with it any success.
Well it hasn’t done Derby any good has it! :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:39 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:10 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Unfortunately to be the owner of a Championship football club these days is a costly business and only those who invest see any return. It’s certainly not a place for Millionaires and needs Billionaire status owners to survive. Lucky for them Bristol City owner Stephen Lansdown appears to be investing heavily in the club these days, it will be interesting to see if it brings with it any success.
Well results apart, going on the Two times we've played them it's failing miserably.

I think you’ll find his big money injection has been too recent to quantify success or failure. He’s now into something like his fourth year of a project to put England's tenth largest city on the sporting map which started with pumping £47m of his cash into re-building Ashton Gate. He’s also invested heavily in Bristol Rugby Club and the City’s Basketball Team. He’s stated his intention to put more cash into the football club and I’m sure given his background he won’t be wasteful. In my opinion he’s a role model owner for a Championship Football Club and has a great rapport with the fans and the City in the same way Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha the recently deceased owner did at Leicester City. Everything Marcus Evans isn’t to Ipswich Town

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:17 pm

Your post proves he must have TOO MUCH money, Charnwood ----> he funded basketball.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:33 pm

Andy a couple of things, if that is rebuilding Ashton Gate then it's a joke, certainly the away end, the refreshment kiosk was literally a hole in the wall about 4by4 in a dinghy piece of concourse , more like a serving hatch at a local social club. As for a great rapport with the fans all we heard was booing at HT and FT. Still a fair way to go I think where the football club are concerned, I am sure he is doing great things in the City though.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:32 am

Just for fun (even though it is not fun) what game out of the next 8 will be the one which confirms we are Relegated? I'm going for.................. Preston away April 19th :cry:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:15 am

And after relegation, if PL jumps ship, get the moley bstd at Preston to PR! He’s doing a decent job.