Quickly taken free kicks - no refs whistle.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Quickly taken free kicks - no refs whistle.

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:02 pm

Why is it ok for Tottenham when scoring against Liverpool but not for Town v Forest ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Quickly taken free kicks - no refs whistle.

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:54 pm

Exactly!!! Story of our bloody season.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:21 am

Oh come on Mike - we've not exactly had the rub of the green on a number of occasions, but surely the story of our season is simply that we're not good enough for the Championship

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:44 am

You’re right Rossi we have had a sh*t season and we all know we’re not good enough and this has been discussed on many threads, but my point here is more about the inconsistency of referees interpretation of the rules. At our home match v Forest when we scored from a quick free kick, the goal was disallowed, the game pulled back and the kick retaken because refeee Keith Stroud hadn’t blown his whistle. Yesterday Tottenham took a quick free kick against Liverpool without Martin Atkinson blowing his whistle, yet the goal stood and nobody complained.

Either quick free kicks are within the rules or they’re not ?...... and that’s the discussion I’m trying to promote, not whether or not we’re good enough for the Championship which we all know the answer to.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:08 am

To add to the mix, didn’t Ross Barkley get booked last week for England because he took a free-kick too quickly?

Just another inconsistency. Maybe we should be thankful to Keith for not giving us a yellow card

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:47 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:44 am
You’re right Rossi we have had a sh*t season and we all know we’re not good enough and this has been discussed on many threads, but my point here is more about the inconsistency of referees interpretation of the rules. At our home match v Forest when we scored from a quick free kick, the goal was disallowed, the game pulled back and the kick retaken because refeee Keith Stroud hadn’t blown his whistle. Yesterday Tottenham took a quick free kick against Liverpool without Martin Atkinson blowing his whistle, yet the goal stood and nobody complained.

Either quick free kicks are within the rules or they’re not ?...... and that’s the discussion I’m trying to promote, not whether or not we’re good enough for the Championship which we all know the answer to.
Amen. Its probably Skuse fault.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:21 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:44 am

You could extend that argument by saying that refs should never play the advantage rule, as strictly speaking the rules state that in the case of a foul the game is stopped and restarted with a free kick. Either you let officials have discretion or you don't, but if you give them discretion then that should be for all situations, not just some of them.

The referees on the occasions stated above both gave their interpretation of the rules - the fact that they were at different ends of the scale is probably down to EFL rather than the individuals.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:40 pm

Also for me its how good the referee is..

Its not just that free kick he didn't allow for us. Aston Villa away he was worse than useless and even forgetting that free kick against Forest he was hopeless.

For me just a really poor referee.

But i agree, its not all the Ref's fault why we are bottom but our luck this season seems mostly hard luck and bad luck

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:13 pm

The ref & linesman (right side of pitch first half) were both inept imo :astroll: