Paul Lambert interview

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Re: Paul Lambert interview

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:58 pm

It didn't seem like Judge was committed to staying at Ipswich in an interview he did recently...the interview when he says being a league one player shouldn't affect his chances of playing for Ireland. I think he'd rather play for another championship team, tbh. Can't really blame him...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:43 pm
What about Celtic?

I think the odds of that happening would be even longer.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:22 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:06 pm
Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:39 am
According to Nixon tweet Judge is close to agreeing a two year deal that's a bit of good news if true.👍
Best bit of effing news I’ve heard all weekend . Thanks for that!
Good chance for you to start a needless thread on the subject..........oh to late you have!! :astroll:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:24 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:43 pm
What about Celtic?
Maybe he has been approached. Would explain his interview. He does have previous for jumping ship.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:27 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:42 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:36 pm
Having listened to the relevant part of that interview two or three times I’ll be absolutely amazed if Paul Lambert is still here at the start of next season, and if he is it will only be because nobody else comes in for him.
Any Odds on Chambers (player-manager) and Skuse (player-assistant manager) for start of next season and Lambert announced as new Scotland manager?
Chambers and Skuse for managers? Ha-ha-ha - they couldn't manage a quick shít between them

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:55 am

rossi wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:27 am
tangfastic wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
Having listened to the relevant part of that interview two or three times I’ll be absolutely amazed if Paul Lambert is still here at the start of next season, and if he is it will only be because nobody else comes in for him.
Any Odds on Chambers (player-manager) and Skuse (player-assistant manager) for start of next season and Lambert announced as new Scotland manager?
Chambers and Skuse for managers? Ha-ha-ha - they couldn't manage a quick shít between them
Not worth discussing cos it won’t happen, and the possible odds would be 100/1 +

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:58 am

I’ll be amazed if he’s still here when next season kicks off. I think he knows managing relegation can get ugly and has done a good job getting the fans onboard to make his job easier. I think he’s still ambitious and will see League 1 below him and in truth it probably is. I wish I could share the positivity some of you guys have for next season, but in reality I think we could be in for hard time, especially if the fans decide to stay away and income streams evaporate. Just look at Sunderland, even with 32,000 fans at every home game creating a cauldron atmosphere at The Stadium of Light and many of them travelling away, and they’re still struggling to hold onto one of the automatic promotion places which most people thought would be a walk in the park for them. League 1 isn’t an easy League to win anymore, and I for one am completely pissed off that we’re heading that way without having put up much of a fight. Our position has been brought on by ourselves, our owner, his advisors, the players and our fans, none of whom are blameless for the position we find ourselves in. Pretty exciting football it maybe, but I’d trade all of that for retaining our Championship status and fixing it there rather than dropping down a league and hoping for a quick return.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:13 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:58 am
I’ll be amazed if he’s still here when next season kicks off. I think he knows managing relegation can get ugly and has done a good job getting the fans onboard to make his job easier. I think he’s still ambitious and will see League 1 below him and in truth it probably is. I wish I could share the positivity some of you guys have for next season, but in reality I think we could be in for hard time, especially if the fans decide to stay away and income streams evaporate. Just look at Sunderland, even with 32,000 fans at every home game creating a cauldron atmosphere at The Stadium of Light and many of them travelling away, and they’re still struggling to hold onto one of the automatic promotion places which most people thought would be a walk in the park for them. League 1 isn’t an easy League to win anymore, and I for one am completely pissed off that we’re heading that way without having put up much of a fight. Our position has been brought on by ourselves, our owner, his advisors, the players and our fans, none of whom are blameless for the position we find ourselves in. Pretty exciting football it maybe, but I’d trade all of that for retaining our Championship status and fixing it there rather than dropping down a league and hoping for a quick return.
quite

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:18 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:13 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:58 am
quite
I agree 100%

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:36 pm

How can League 1 be below PL? Hes managed there before, his previous what 3?, manager positions have not exactly lit the word up, he's at least reasonably well liked by the majority of fans here... So unless he is being told bad news by Mevans, I don't see why he would leave unless of course..... Are QPR after him?

Maybe PL has shown other clubs that he can get the fans behind the team and QPR or a.n.other will like that for next year.

As for the relegation issue - its old news, and us going over how much we would have preferred to stay in the championship is rather immaterial to be frank. We are destined for League 1 and need to make the best of the situation.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:44 pm

I've listened to the interview a few times now. To me Lambert has decided he is leaving. I don't think he has come under any pressure from Evans.

I've been sceptical about him from the beginning. He's done an excellent job on the PR front and the fans have been won back, at least temporarily. I'll give him credit for that.

However, the reality is that a manager will ultimately be judged on results and our results since PL had come on board have been awful. I've offered my opinion on why recent draws, and apparent upturn in form, might be less encouraging than they seem. I won't repeat my reasons, but I'm more convinced now than ever that recent weeks have given a false impression of improvement. I think PL believes we will really struggle to get back up next season and he has no appetite for the fight.

As depressing as this season has been, next season could be even worse.
Last edited by MasseyFerguson on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:47 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:44 pm

As depressing as this season has been, next season could be even worse.
Or it could be better..... We will just have to wait and see :-)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:46 pm

I agree with Nic, his best work was getting Norwich out of league one, nothing he has done since comes close and his standing as a manager has taken a hit because of it, he needs to rebuild his reputation and where better than at ITFC ? What he has achieved in bringing the fans back to a bit of a united front takes some doing with the snowflakes that follow our club and apart from the Five he brought in in January he is working with players that most Town fans, especially on hear keep repeating aren't and never were good enough for the Championship, with that being the case surely the results are to be expected, there is zero doubt we have played much better in recent weeks and lack in a couple of key areas, we all know that and as Nic says we all know we are going to league One and how wonderful hindsight is, lets be honest if we could all go back we would and still we would all have differing views on who and what was needed, we've got to make the best of it and for me it is imperative we keep Lambert, when if ever have Town gone through Four managers in a year ? It is not our way and it shouldn't be the case now.

I too have listened to the interview again and again and I think he does not even know what his situation is, I think given the chance he would stay but it is not now his decision for whatever reason, I believe his comments on how incredible the fans have been in such testing times and I think that has genuinely endeared him to the club. Does anyone in their right mind plan for the club to do Pre season in Germany only to think of quitting hours later ? Not a chance unless of course someone higher has had a change of heart with regard to the manager.

By all accounts after Marcus Evans had watched the U18's the other day a meeting took place between himself and Paul Lambert so maybe things have been said and discussed which may have caused an issue ?

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:46 pm
I agree with Nic, his best work was getting Norwich out of league one, nothing he has done since comes close and his standing as a manager has taken a hit because of it, he needs to rebuild his reputation and where better than at ITFC ? What he has achieved in bringing the fans back to a bit of a united front takes some doing with the snowflakes that follow our club and apart from the Five he brought in in January he is working with players that most Town fans, especially on hear keep repeating aren't and never were good enough for the Championship, with that being the case surely the results are to be expected, there is zero doubt we have played much better in recent weeks and lack in a couple of key areas, we all know that and as Nic says we all know we are going to league One and how wonderful hindsight is, lets be honest if we could all go back we would and still we would all have differing views on who and what was needed, we've got to make the best of it and for me it is imperative we keep Lambert, when if ever have Town gone through Four managers in a year ? It is not our way and it shouldn't be the case now.

I too have listened to the interview again and again and I think he does not even know what his situation is, I think given the chance he would stay but it is not now his decision for whatever reason, I believe his comments on how incredible the fans have been in such testing times and I think that has genuinely endeared him to the club. Does anyone in their right mind plan for the club to do Pre season in Germany only to think of quitting hours later ? Not a chance unless of course someone higher has had a change of heart with regard to the manager.

By all accounts after Marcus Evans had watched the U18's the other day a meeting took place between himself and Paul Lambert so maybe things have been said and discussed which may have caused an issue ?
Mike, outside of the Premiership, there are 71 other clubs plus us - are you seriously suggesting that we are the best of those clubs for him to rebuild his reputation?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:56 pm

I do not understand all of this though. No one on this forum was claiming that they'd be surprised if Lambert was at the club next season PRIOR to the weekend interview. Was everyone being quiet about that?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:51 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:24 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:46 pm

Mike, outside of the Premiership, there are 71 other clubs plus us - are you seriously suggesting that we are the best of those clubs for him to rebuild his reputation?
Gary, for all our shortcomings now we are still a big club compared with Ninety Five percent of those outside the Championship so yes I do think we are one of the best options, clearly we have lost our way but the potential in terms of club size etc is there, aside from Sunderland and One or Two more there is no better option for him outside of the top Two divisions.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:24 pm

We can all look at the 'what if's' all we like but we are going down so we need to get over it. We can all be pissed off about it (and should be - for a short time) but then get on with it. No point in crying over spilt milk as the saying goes. So - i too agree that why would anyone talk about pre-season in Germany if he was going to walk? Makes no sense at all. There may be consortiums in the background looking at a purchase or 101 other things going on that lead PL to say what he did. I think what he was actually saying was that if people are critical (and his record at Town was being questioned in the interview) then I would have answered in the same way - 'well if people don't want me here then on you go - I can't stop that' or words to that effect. So i think it was just a reaction to that question.

One other point on the positives - i listened to a bit of Talk Sport today and the discussion from people who support teams in the PL, Champ, lower leagues and even non-league was that if your team is winning, you dont care what league you are in - it is that feeling that is tempering the thought of League 1 for me. One final point - did anyone see the Checkatrade trophy final yesterday? Fantastic game with a full wembley and fantastic atmosphere - is anyone going to tell me that the Sunderland or Portsmouth players and fans didn't want to win that game? It looked exciting and engaging to me - I very much hope it is us there having a fun day out at wembley next season (as long as we are also challenging for promotion). We are down - get over it and look forward to some fun next season - that is my view and I am sticking to it! 👍😬

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:43 pm

rossi wrote:
tangfastic wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Strange that they are both so highly thought of by their peers then isnt it !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:44 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:22 am
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:06 pm
Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:39 am
According to Nixon tweet Judge is close to agreeing a two year deal that's a bit of good news if true.👍
Best bit of effing news I’ve heard all weekend . Thanks for that!
Good chance for you to start a needless thread on the subject..........oh to late you have!! :astroll:

And WTF is that supposed to mean, it’s a bloody forum isn’t it !!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:51 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:24 pm
We can all look at the 'what if's' all we like but we are going down so we need to get over it. We can all be pissed off about it (and should be - for a short time) but then get on with it. No point in crying over spilt milk as the saying goes. So - i too agree that why would anyone talk about pre-season in Germany if he was going to walk? Makes no sense at all. There may be consortiums in the background looking at a purchase or 101 other things going on that lead PL to say what he did. I think what he was actually saying was that if people are critical (and his record at Town was being questioned in the interview) then I would have answered in the same way - 'well if people don't want me here then on you go - I can't stop that' or words to that effect. So i think it was just a reaction to that question.

One other point on the positives - i listened to a bit of Talk Sport today and the discussion from people who support teams in the PL, Champ, lower leagues and even non-league was that if your team is winning, you dont care what league you are in - it is that feeling that is tempering the thought of League 1 for me. One final point - did anyone see the Checkatrade trophy final yesterday? Fantastic game with a full wembley and fantastic atmosphere - is anyone going to tell me that the Sunderland or Portsmouth players and fans didn't want to win that game? It looked exciting and engaging to me - I very much hope it is us there having a fun day out at wembley next season (as long as we are also challenging for promotion). We are down - get over it and look forward to some fun next season - that is my view and I am sticking to it! 👍😬
Top post, agree completely.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:58 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:56 pm
I do not understand all of this though. No one on this forum was claiming that they'd be surprised if Lambert was at the club next season PRIOR to the weekend interview. Was everyone being quiet about that?

I think most of us had accepted that Lambert was probably here to stay, it’s his comments that have sown the seeds of doubt nobody else’s. It’s only after listening to his comments that I doubted his commitment and mixing those comments with his track record for only staying in post for short terms made me think it more likely that he won’t be here come the start of next season. If he is committed to stay it’s up to him to clarify that point and put everyone at ease.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:04 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
I think what he was actually saying was that if people are critical (and his record at Town was being questioned in the interview) then I would have answered in the same way - 'well if people don't want me here then on you go - I can't stop that' or words to that effect. So i think it was just a reaction to that question.
Since reading this part of your post, Wilf, I have went back and listened to that part of the interview again and yep, imo, you are very correct with that assumption.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:18 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:36 pm
How can League 1 be below PL? Hes managed there before, his previous what 3?, manager positions have not exactly lit the word up, he's at least reasonably well liked by the majority of fans here... So unless he is being told bad news by Mevans, I don't see why he would leave unless of course..... Are QPR after him?

Maybe PL has shown other clubs that he can get the fans behind the team and QPR or a.n.other will like that for next year.

As for the relegation issue - its old news, and us going over how much we would have preferred to stay in the championship is rather immaterial to be frank. We are destined for League 1 and need to make the best of the situation.

Nic, I opened my post by saying that I thought Paul Lambert was still ambitious and could think of League 1 as being below him, and I think that’s quite possible, after all he has managed at a higher level for 9 consecutive seasons in both the Premier League and the Championship. Given that level of experience and the fact he’s not reached age 50 yet, there will be Championship clubs with a managerial vacancy that will have him on their radar and possible short list, and if he’s the best candidate could make him an offer he can’t refuse. If this happens and if he’s as ambitious as I think he might be, his track record doesn’t suggest he’ll stay around just because he’s well liked by the majority of our fans. That’s all I’m saying and we may need to get used to it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:26 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:04 pm
Blue Wilf wrote:
I think what he was actually saying was that if people are critical (and his record at Town was being questioned in the interview) then I would have answered in the same way - 'well if people don't want me here then on you go - I can't stop that' or words to that effect. So i think it was just a reaction to that question.
Since reading this part of your post, Wilf, I have went back and listened to that part of the interview again and yep, imo, you are very correct with that assumption.

You may both be right, I hope you are as I don’t relish the thought of another managerial change which isn’t the Ipswich way of doing things. I just hope Paul Lambert recognises the uncertainty he’s caused and if he does respect and admire the fans as he’s says he does, that he clarifies his future commitment to the club and removes the uncertainty that his comments have created.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:33 pm

Problem is, in this day and age, it doesn't really matter what he says. There will be the tabloid / forum sensationalisation junkies out there to twist the absolute fk out of it.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:20 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:04 pm
Blue Wilf wrote:
I agree , he used the same phrase a few weeks back. We will find out Thursday, he will surely be asked questions on the sudject. May well get a bit defensive as he did Saturday.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:42 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:43 pm
rossi wrote:
tangfastic wrote:

Strange that they are both so highly thought of by their peers then isnt it !
and exactly what does how they are thought of by their peers have to do with their capabilities of managing a football club?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:00 am

But Rossi, usually great players become shyte managers, ......., so if they're shyte players in your opinion, shouldn't they be probable decent managers?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:31 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:18 pm
nicscreamer wrote:

Nic, I opened my post by saying that I thought Paul Lambert was still ambitious and could think of League 1 as being below him, and I think that’s quite possible, after all he has managed at a higher level for 9 consecutive seasons in both the Premier League and the Championship. Given that level of experience and the fact he’s not reached age 50 yet, there will be Championship clubs with a managerial vacancy that will have him on their radar and possible short list, and if he’s the best candidate could make him an offer he can’t refuse. If this happens and if he’s as ambitious as I think he might be, his track record doesn’t suggest he’ll stay around just because he’s well liked by the majority of our fans. That’s all I’m saying and we may need to get used to it.
You could well be right and Lambert has a Championship job lined up or has aspirations above League 1. I just can’t help feeling that Lambert’s career needs stability too ie taking over a project and at least taking it on an upward curve. His CV at the end of this season wouldn’t look too good to another club with another relegation added to last season’s and other short-term positions. With Town, at least, he’s already has his foot in the door and has an extended pre-season ( ie now - with us being relegated) and a chance to build on that next season. In short, I think we need him.... and his career needs us.

Much depends on Marcus Evans... will he back Lambert for next season? I can’t see Lambert wanting to see out his contract here if he can’t get the support of Evans. I think Lambert really needs something to get his career back on track.... and I’m hoping that he sees us as genuine promotion contenders. Can he continue to hop from job to job ( 6 months here, 6 months there) and still make a career of it?

I don’t expect Lambert to be loyal to us. My brother-in-law is a NCFC season ticket holder and mentioned at Christmas that whilst he’s a good manager, he’s very selfish and will leave when that opportunity arises. I don’t disbelieve that. So I’m not getting too attached, but just hoping he needs us for the time being.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:31 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:18 pm
nicscreamer wrote:

Yes mate, I don't doubt hes ambitious. I was just highlighting the fact I don't think hes much of a draw at the moment based on his results over the past few clubs he has managed. It kind of goes against how highly I rate him, but his record is rather pants at this level. Saying all that, the manager world is a stupid merrygoround, and he is very likely to get offers just because he has "experience" - even if that experience is getting relegated :lol: . Just look at Steve Mclaren! One of the worst managers this country has ever seen!