Simon Jordan and his opinion of Evans

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Simon Jordan and his opinion of Evans

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Here here.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:58 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:22 am
derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:51 am
rossi wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:16 am
My views about Evans are well known on this board - I see no reason to add to them.

It seems that this board contains the many (like Mike and Liz) who view the present situation with optimism for the future, claiming that Paul Lambert is the messiah who will transform the running of the club: and the few (like Mach and myself) who have been denouncing for years the way that Evans has been running the club and predicting a downward spiral which - at present at least - is materialising.

To me, the fact that so many people are prepared to grasp at straws (Paul Lambert, who apart from Norwich does not have a particularly good managerial record) shows exactly how far downward this club has actually spiralled. Has the owner finally learned his lesson? Has Paul Lambert finally shown him the light? From what I know of him and his personality, I doubt it.

I fully intend to keep out of all future debates on where we are heading, but my final word is that, next season, I consider relegation to League 2 to be far more likely than promotion to the Championship.
Rossi, do you fancy a £50 bet. You say Town will finish nearer relegation to League 2 and I say they will finisher nearer to promotion back to the Championship. You up for it? :D
wow - only 2 weeks ago you were saying that we would rise like a phoenix and carry all before us, now you say merely that we will finish closer to promotion than relegation lol.
I would be prepared to make the bet, yes - but how do you propose to get my winnings to me when I win?
I still do think that. I was just using your "Closer to Relegation than to Promotion" quote to strike a bet. Don't worry about me paying my friend I would come to Ipswich to give it you personally if you were indeed victorious, not that's going to happen of course. So, are we having this £50 bet or what? :D

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:48 pm

:roll: The one thing Mr Jordan has got correct is, Marcus Evans does not connect with the club like our previous owners did, Mr Sheepshanks, the Cobbold's, FACT, he's never ever got into a real meet and greet and mix with the fans, he skulks and hides himself away from any communication and links to the fans, to me he is not an owner that has got Ipswich in his blood, unlike the owners of them up the road FACT, so if he does not want to mix and chat and keep hiding away, and invest wisely then he's in the wrong place, and should definitely sell up and move onto pastures new, I too personally think it wont be an easy ride in Div 1 I think if we go into the new season thinking its going to be an easy ride and over confident, we will come a cropper pretty quickly, so my overall thoughts are please Marcus just naff off, you are not suited and booted for my Ipswich Town football club, where the fans matter and need chatter with the owners.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:55 pm

Who's said its going to be an easy ride ? Can you point that post out for me Ash.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:03 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:17 am

I think that if you bothered to check through my posts over the years (rather than just make an ill-founded speculative statement) you will find that I've been expressing the same view about ME and the direction he's been taking the club ever since he came on board.

I did slate him in the year we finished 6th, yes - I thought that our position at Xmas of that season warranted strengthening the squad in January, and had he have done so I'm sure we would have achieved automatic promotion. You seem to have conveniently forgotten the conversations we have had over the years about that period.

I'm sorry that my opinions seem to upset so many on this board, I'm sorry that what I consider to be realist opinions are perceived by so many to be negative and moaning. No, actually I'm not sorry - they are my opinions and I stand by them
Rossi don't you know that you can't have your own opinion on this forum? You've got to please certain people on here otherwise you can expect derogatory commments like I have received last night.

Ipswich fanbase is by far the weirdest one in football. Anywhere else Evans would have had to deal with fans' fury for the disaster he's made.

It's utterly hilarious when I read all these 'optimistic' comments regarding next season and youngsters in the team. Large number of our fans can't grasp though such a simple concept that is Lambert being left with no choice just to play more youngsters next season. He won't get money to spend therefore forced to play youth. And when we don't get good results people will turn on him whereas 'Sir Marcus' will remain untouchable. People then will want Lambert to go and start yapping about appointing Burley. Every time we are about to look for a manager the number of our soppy and sentimental fans mention the latter's name.

Our fans should be angry and annoyed that this disaster was allowed to happen. But this is nice, smashing, easy going Ipswich where a fuss isn't being made.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Have I missed something? Where were the derogatory posts to you Mach? Are they on this thread or another?

This seems like a decent thread that has allowed everyone to express their views - something that I applaud. We don't all agree, but that's the beauty of this forum.

I don't think MEvans has done a great job of looking after our club, but in all honesty who else is there to take it over and make it any better? The Oystons from Blackpool? Mike Ashley? The Chaps from West Ham? All have been berated by the clubs fans, and all are still in situ. None of them are setting the world alight.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:29 pm

Mach, I think everyone is aware that we are going with youth due to having no choice, Lambert has repeatedly said it in recent weeks so its hardly earth shattering news. Of course none of us know for sure how it will go but as Lambert said our job is to get behind the kids and give them confidence, but if some prefer to label them bang average etc that's a shame, hopefully it won't spill over into the terraces where by and large fans are backing whatever is coming.

As I said to you at Bolton none of us wanted this scenario and if there was a option to Marcus Evans we may all vote for a new owner but there isn't anyone so we are stuck atm, there is nothing we can do but if those who are generally unhappy with his ownership have had enough why not start the demonatrations etc that you think would happen at all other clubs?

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:31 pm

You can have all the opinions you like, Mach but don't get upset if people then disagree with them as we too can have our own opinions and you can in turn disagree with them all you like. Rossi too has his opinion and that is fine. Again, i don't agree with him but it does not make his or my opinion any better than anyone elses! I love the debate we have about different ideas and directions but i personally cannot live my life by always looking on the negative side of situations - especially ones i have no control over. If people want to be the harbinger of doom on all of their posts then that is fine - just don't expect me to agree with them because i personally can see signs of what i believe are recovery. That does not mean that i think that we are about to storm any league and get back to what we were in the 70's and early 80's but for me, as i have said many times, the PL is NOT the be all and end all for my enjoyment of football. In fact, far from it! You go to many away games, Mach and good for you that you do but if it is really that painful, if it were me, I wouldn't put myself through it in any other aspect of my life, so why would i do so with football? If its all so bad - chill out and do something else on a saturday! I would prefer that you keep up your excellent support but if it is so bad and we are all looking over the edge of some kind of abyss - walk away! Life's too short not to! I am keeping my deluded view that things are getting better - makes me much happier with life! 👍

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:48 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:13 pm
Have I missed something? Where were the derogatory posts to you Mach? Are they on this thread or another?

This seems like a decent thread that has allowed everyone to express their views - something that I applaud. We don't all agree, but that's the beauty of this forum.

I don't think MEvans has done a great job of looking after our club, but in all honesty who else is there to take it over and make it any better? The Oystons from Blackpool? Mike Ashley? The Chaps from West Ham? All have been berated by the clubs fans, and all are still in situ. None of them are setting the world alight.
Yes I've been asked why I am taking a pleasure about being right at relegation. How on earth it is a 'pleasure'?

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:31 pm
You can have all the opinions you like, Mach but don't get upset if people then disagree with them as we too can have our own opinions and you can in turn disagree with them all you like. Rossi too has his opinion and that is fine. Again, i don't agree with him but it does not make his or my opinion any better than anyone elses! I love the debate we have about different ideas and directions but i personally cannot live my life by always looking on the negative side of situations - especially ones i have no control over. If people want to be the harbinger of doom on all of their posts then that is fine - just don't expect me to agree with them because i personally can see signs of what i believe are recovery. That does not mean that i think that we are about to storm any league and get back to what we were in the 70's and early 80's but for me, as i have said many times, the PL is NOT the be all and end all for my enjoyment of football. In fact, far from it! You go to many away games, Mach and good for you that you do but if it is really that painful, if it were me, I wouldn't put myself through it in any other aspect of my life, so why would i do so with football? If its all so bad - chill out and do something else on a saturday! I would prefer that you keep up your excellent support but if it is so bad and we are all looking over the edge of some kind of abyss - walk away! Life's too short not to! I am keeping my deluded view that things are getting better - makes me much happier with life! 👍
BlueWilf I don't need your advices what to do on Saturdays. Also I know you don't like Premier League you don't need to repeat it again. Life will be better for us in the lower leagues, I know this is your view. You prefer us to be a tinpot lower league outfit with no ambitions, your choice.

My opinions are realistic. I ain't a blue blinkered happy clapper who is going to accept everything re ITFC. If it is portrayed as negative then so be it and don't read my posts, simple.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:29 pm
Mach, I think everyone is aware that we are going with youth due to having no choice, Lambert has repeatedly said it in recent weeks so its hardly earth shattering news. Of course none of us know for sure how it will go but as Lambert said our job is to get behind the kids and give them confidence, but if some prefer to label them bang average etc that's a shame, hopefully it won't spill over into the terraces where by and large fans are backing whatever is coming.

As I said to you at Bolton none of us wanted this scenario and if there was a option to Marcus Evans we may all vote for a new owner but there isn't anyone so we are stuck atm, there is nothing we can do but if those who are generally unhappy with his ownership have had enough why not start the demonatrations etc that you think would happen at all other clubs?
You don't understand it at all. Of course we are stuck with Evans and there isn't a buyer off a horizon. But you try to laud him at every opportunity despite the disaster he's made.

He finally opens his mouth with an interview last summer and our fans lap it up like he’s a hero. Same after recent interview with Watson.

There is no strategy an vision for the future at all. Just a hope that the youngsters will blossom under Lambert.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:08 pm

I understand it completely, I understand we still have a club thanks to Sheepshanks finding Evans when we were hours from extinction, fact. Where have I lauded him ? I've merely stated facts of what he has done for us, nothing more, am I grateful ? Hell yes, do I like the transfer policy now ? Not at all. What I also fully understand is as he explained he CANNOT invest more than he is allowed to invest, he tried to get that across in his interview, unfortunately it is often forgotten but its a very real problem.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Your opinions are your opinions, Mach - i didnt say and nor do i agree that they are realistic. You have also made an assumption about me (something i have not done about you by the way) that i am happy for us to have no ambition in the lower leagues. Nothing could be further from the truth so i would ask you to please, not make such assumptions about someone you have never met! As for your opinions being realistic, if you really think a change of ownership (if it were even possible) or rebelling and having "Evans Out" marches will lead to us high rolling it in the Prem, or something approaching those ambitions, i would suggest it is you who needs to take a cold hard look at what you think realism is... look at the end of the day, we are where we are and you seem to be suggesting that we all need to rise up and challenge ME. Maybe you are right and that would help - but maybe it would just create more and more animosity amongst us fans and then we find (as i believe we will) that at present, there is no knight in shining armour waiting to buy us from him anyway, so what would be the gain? I can't see one - so lets just get behind them and move on. Thats my plan. You can take your own course and good luck to you.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Re Derick & Rossi bet........ Double or quits on Luton Town winning the Champions League by 2023.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:52 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:58 pm
rossi wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:51 am

Rossi, do you fancy a £50 bet. You say Town will finish nearer relegation to League 2 and I say they will finisher nearer to promotion back to the Championship. You up for it? :D
wow - only 2 weeks ago you were saying that we would rise like a phoenix and carry all before us, now you say merely that we will finish closer to promotion than relegation lol.
I would be prepared to make the bet, yes - but how do you propose to get my winnings to me when I win?
I still do think that. I was just using your "Closer to Relegation than to Promotion" quote to strike a bet. Don't worry about me paying my friend I would come to Ipswich to give it you personally if you were indeed victorious, not that's going to happen of course. So, are we having this £50 bet or what? :D
definitely - the bet is on

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Christ , what kind of “ fan” bets against his own Club to get relegated . You should f**king ashamed of yourself!!

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:51 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:20 pm
Christ , what kind of “ fan” bets against his own Club to get relegated . You should f**king ashamed of yourself!!
congratulations on demonstrating that you just do not have the brain power to understand

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:59 pm

Is that the best response you can come up with Rossi , really?? :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:55 pm
Who's said its going to be an easy ride ? Can you point that post out for me Ash.
It was an assumption comment made by Simon Jordan; to be ready for Div 2 and not straight back up to the championship, other past clubs have fallen into the trap of over confidence, saying all that I do hope we do come straight back up, but I wont hold my breath on it :shock:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:37 am

Took in a view of what Jordon had to say some time previous and maybe some of the critics put his way were mildly unwarranted. Was being candid with his assessments and unless you got an ax to grind with the individual, wouldn't take on board too much what was mentioned.

Doubtful the club could fall into League Two in the immediate future though. Of course that's not say it won't happen but common sense dictates at the very least we'll be stable. People's and my own view on the chairman have been well authenticated, berate all you like : but then realize it's invariably going to prove a futile endeavor.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:19 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:52 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:58 pm
rossi wrote:

definitely - the bet is on
Nice one Rossi, this will make League 1 even more interesting. :wink:

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:07 pm

This thread has definitely developed into one of the most interesting for some time albeit having moved away from the "Simon Jordan" comment. As we are all mainly talking about next season in League 1 and how we are going to cope,as a glass half full man, I'm really looking forward to it now. What will be the shape of our squad next season? As I've said before, I really do hope we can keep hold of most if not all of our youngsters but we all know I think that any team we put out will have to mix some of them with more experienced and older heads. The close season will be interesting as Lambert, lets remember , has had to use someone else's squad in the main but will now have an opportunity to put his own together. Every close season these days there are loads of players released or out of contract and desperate to be given another chance. If PL is thinking of releasing our deadwood and bringing in some "freebies" that he likes, this in my opinion has to be the way to go. Players given a second chance and grateful to be given that chance at probably the biggest club (if Sunderland get promoted) in League 1, could make for an exciting season, and with the possibility of promotion back to the Championship what is there not to look forward to.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:51 pm

I agree, everyone is entitled to an opinion and nobody else has to agree with it, those who see the future as rosy don't particularly like reading the negativity and those who see a gloomy future find it hard to understand why there is so much positivity given our current plight and of course neither is right or wrong, its all about opinions.

From my perspective I want to be surrounded by the positive viewpoint, that is my right, I don't want to hear everything is wrong and we are doomed blah blah blah every time I go to Football, I go to enjoy the whole occasion.

Like you Ranger I hope we keep most of the young talent we are nuturing through the club at no small expense, add to that a bit of experience (like Judge) and some new faces and hopefully we will be a big fish in a small pond. Getting rid of the deadwood is gonna be a big job, with that amount of wood we can build a bloody great raft !!!

Keeping the faith...... ITID

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:56 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:59 pm
It's the best I can do without resorting to personal insults and mud-slinging, yes.

I know that my opinions differ to the blind optimism displayed by you and many other posters on this board - but that doesn't make them any less valid.
Do you really suppose that after I have expressed my opinions on what I think will happen to us next season that I am not prepared to back them up by responding to a challenge? Maybe you're that shallow, but I'm definitely not.

But no, all you can do is to question my validity as a 'fan'. It's not the first time you have done this over the years, you and others I might add.
The English dictionary describes a 'fan' as being a supporter of a person or a sports team. It doesn't say that a fan cannot express concerns or find fault. If watching one team exclusively for more almost 60 years, buying season tickets, etcetera does not qualify me as a fan then I don't know what does

So don't worry - my days of posting my opinions on this board are over because I'm sick and tired of having my loyalty to the club questioned by narrow-minded folk who cannot see beyond the end of their noses. In the politest way possible, Liz, just go and do one.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:44 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:56 pm
hallamblue wrote:
It's the best I can do without resorting to personal insults and mud-slinging, yes.

I know that my opinions differ to the blind optimism displayed by you and many other posters on this board - but that doesn't make them any less valid.
Do you really suppose that after I have expressed my opinions on what I think will happen to us next season that I am not prepared to back them up by responding to a challenge? Maybe you're that shallow, but I'm definitely not.

But no, all you can do is to question my validity as a 'fan'. It's not the first time you have done this over the years, you and others I might add.
The English dictionary describes a 'fan' as being a supporter of a person or a sports team. It doesn't say that a fan cannot express concerns or find fault. If watching one team exclusively for more almost 60 years, buying season tickets, etcetera does not qualify me as a fan then I don't know what does

So don't worry - my days of posting my opinions on this board are over because I'm sick and tired of having my loyalty to the club questioned by narrow-minded folk who cannot see beyond the end of their noses. In the politest way possible, Liz, just go and do one.
It would be a shame if you did that Rossi. I personally think its good that we all have different opinions (as long as they agree with mine :lol: ) Don't let anything or especially anyone drive you away mate. :wink:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:26 pm

Sorry I've been away from the UK far too long. Now, what does "Go and do one" mean? A wee? A poo? :blush:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:32 pm

rossi wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

Cheerio Rossi, you really are an unpleasant and condescending piece of work, and as someone else has referred to you as,
“ a keyboard warrior”. I’m glad you won’t be posting your opinions on here anymore. I doubt you’ll be missed. Careful that door doesn’t belt you on the behind as you leave now !

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:37 pm

rossi wrote:

Shame you have made a decision like this but I don't blame you at all. Here on this forum you have got to please certain people, you cannot have your own opinion. Me and you for example......angry at the clubs situation and any bit of criticism about the club and the person who has ruined us (Evans) isn't welcomed by some.

I fail to see any upsides in our current situation, especially when our fans should be pissed off this has been allowed to happen but instead seem to be almost f*****g happy we're getting relegated. Now the 'rule' of this forum seems is that you have got to be happy, positive, smiled. Otherwise you risk a scorn.

Take Skuse or Chambers for example ..... they have got a status of saints in the eyes of some. Anyone with a bit of pace will breeze past them even in League One but some people will never ever criticise them. They have to be accountable for relegation like every other single player.

The list of various examples can go on and on.

The likes you or me may be told 'to wallow in our misery'. Hilarious isn't it?

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:49 pm

Well what do you actually expect us to say, Mach? If thats your view - fine and I also have no problem with you posting it. I don't agree with it, nor can I see how moaning about our position is actually going to miraculously change it! I am not sure what you are wanting us to say? Should we all agree with you and we go on an endless spiral about how bad the world is - or maybe we look at the positives and keep supporting the team and bringing the youngsters (who will need time to develop) through? They will not all be Ronaldo before the end of the season and need to be supported, not thrown on the scrap heap by fans before they have a chance to progress. I personally cannot go down the "the world is ending" route - its not in my nature - so I look for positives - what else are you asking me and others on the forum to do?

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:19 pm

As this horrible season draws to a close I completely fail to understand how joyous some on here appear to be at the thought of Div 1 football next season. Yes, we all support ITFC, but the way some almost seem to welcome relegation is beyond me. Whichever way you look at it dropping down into a lower division will be an unmitigated disaster and the myth that reliance on youth will have us springing straight back up is I think very wishful thinking indeed. It's going to be a lot more difficult than some people kid themselves and I think we will be lucky to finish mid-table.

The only person responsible for the demise of this club is Marcus Evans, clear & simple. Forget all rubbish about him rescuing the club from Administration, that was years ago. Since he bought the club his ineptitude (whatever the cause) alone has taken us to where we are now going. I have no idea or interest where he gets his advice, or if he even heeds it. I suspect the latter given the position we are in. The man is a complete joke & I am in no doubt that Paul Lambert will become as frustrated with him as I think McCarthy was, although he wouldn't admit it, and move on sooner rather than later.

Under the current owner this Club is a joke and it is going to be a long time before things improve. It's time for some to wake up and see how grave the situation really is.